Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

  1. #1

    Default Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    His defense this year has been A+

    Wouldn't be suprised to hear.some MVP talk if he keeps this up.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,226

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    ...or not.

  4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Unless Dwight Howard dies he is winning it but Danny should be considered a candidate but not MVP

  6. #4
    Member Indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    426

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Wow...I love Danny as much as the next guy, and he has been instrumental in our successes, but lol on both counts.

  7. #5

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Haha nah, man.

  8. #6

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    You guys don't think he's a DPOY candidate????

    Am I watching the same games?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Not MVP, but DPOY isn't as crazy as you guys are saying. The dude isn't putting up gaudy block/steal numbers, though, which is (unfairly, I think) a big part of the DPOY discussion. But the dude has definitely been killing it on defense.

    Wish we'd played him more on Morrow instead of Shawne Williams.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Go back and watch the Chicago and the Boston game and come back to me after that.

  13. #9
    RLeWorm
    Guest

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    uhhhhhhh......no

  14. #10
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,951
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    He deserves consideration for one of the defensive teams for sure.

    And vnzla, I can bring up single games of known defensive aces getting lit up, it means nothing and adds nothing to an argument if you don't have a systematic basis for your analysis. On a whole Danny has been amazing on that end this year.

    Brewer that game scored mostly off hustle plays and things of that nature anyhow.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  16. #11

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    If Miami and Orlando are playing and the stadium floor collapses like in the new Batman movie trailer and LeBron and Dwight both die, Danny might have a chance to make the top five in DPOY.

  17. #12
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    If Danny didn't have to work as much on offense as he does, he'd definitely be one of the top defenders in the league. I just can't get that vision of Paul Pierce layups out of my head.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    He'll be known by Pacers fans and fans of the NBA as a rugged as hell defender with good offense to go with it... And that reputation is good enough for me. He plays some phenomenal man defense, and compared to years before he looks loose out on the court and not hurt or having a nagging injury.. He looks conditioned and very focused out there. That's the biggest difference to me.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Danny didn't have to work as much on offense as he does, he'd definitely be one of the top defenders in the league. I just can't get that vision of Paul Pierce layups out of my head.
    Deng has that type of load for the Bulls plays 39 mpg and plays elite defense. Scottie Pippen Kevin Garnett,Iggy, Kobe, CP3, Lebron James, Ron Artest Dwight Howard ect had that role and were/are great defenders night in night out.

    Artest was my favorite player growing up because of his defense.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-31-2012 at 10:50 PM.

  22. #15
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deng has that type of load for the Bulls plays 39 mpg and plays elite defense. Scottie Pippen Kevin Garnett,Iggy, Kobe, CP3, Lebron James, Ron Artest Dwight Howard ect had that role and were/are great defenders night in night out.

    Artest was my favorite player growing up because of his defense.
    Not fair. Those guys are either not the primary scoring options for their teams or future HOFers. The Deng comparison is particularly unjust. Even LeBron has struggled in the fourth quarter arguably for this very reason. You could make a case, I think, that Danny shifted his focus slightly from defense to offense after our first ten games or so and that made a difference (on both ends).

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  24. #16

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go back and watch the Chicago and the Boston game and come back to me after that.
    Only 2 games of the 21 played hahaha? I'll take that to the bank.


    By me ^^

  25. #17

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Danny's been much more active defensively this year, but he's still had some poor defensive performances. I also don't even think he's been our best defender. So no, I wouldn't put him in the DPOY conversation.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,975

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Danny has worked harder on defense. He's played better on defense. He's also a good defender notwithstanding Paul Pierce's layup drill.

    With that said, Danny is not gifted defensively. He doesn't have excellent anticipation you see in Paul George, for example. He's one of the better defensive 3's in the league, but he's just not elite. He's not even elite on offense where he is at least as good.

    He's the best we have, but talk to Kobe, LeBron, DWade, CP3, DRose, etc. Those guys are elite and worthy of the MVP/DPOY type of awards.

  28. #19
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,975

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny's been much more active defensively this year, but he's still had some poor defensive performances. I also don't even think he's been our best defender. So no, I wouldn't put him in the DPOY conversation.
    This. If Danny is in the running, Paul George has to be in the running too because he's significantly more gifted defensively and in reality more effective. Sure, Danny might not guard the toughest cover to retain his offense, but I've seen enough to know that Paul can stop a guy more effectively at crunch time.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  30. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Yep Danny is playing D but he is still playing bad D some nights, the "he needs to take his time on D because of his offense" thing is just an excuse, Deng,Gay and Iguadola get as many point per game as Danny and as many rebounds per game and they are still capable of playing great D.

  31. #21
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Paul George has had great on ball defense but still needs improvement off the ball. I think danny has been a better defender than paul so far this year. He isnt flashy about it, he just works hard at it. You say paul piercd, well ray allen had a pretty damn good game against PG this year

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  33. #22
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    883

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Based on some of these comments, many seem to act as if Danny is pathetic at times. What many fail to realize is that Danny has rotated to help teammates out and sometimes gets burned. Brewer, umm yeah. That was Rose being himself there by attracting attention he often gets. Line Brewer and Danny up in a game of one-on-one and watch Danny make a fool out of him. Danny has played great defense this year, and I haven't ignored it. He and Hill are neck and neck for 2nd best on the team, and I would give the edge to Granger because of length and intangibles. Granger doesn't have gaudy defensive stats, but game after game he seals the passing lanes and causes two or more turnovers that he doesn't get credit for statistically. Collison and West are the only questionable guys in our starting line-up. All that being said, George has a better chance of being DPOY. I would like to see somebody that can come up with a long list of guys better at defending his position. I don't think it can be done.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George has had great on ball defense but still needs improvement off the ball. I think danny has been a better defender than paul so far this year. He isnt flashy about it, he just works hard at it. You say paul piercd, well ray allen had a pretty damn good game against PG this year
    Allen used screens making it hard to guard him and Pierce was pretty much going left every single time to score 28 points I think?

  36. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    I love Paul George, and he's got better tools.

    But so far this year, Danny's the better defender.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Granger has to be a DPOY candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Allen used screens making it hard to guard him and Pierce was pretty much going left every single time to score 28 points I think?
    Did i say guarding allen was easy? PG wasnt defending him well in the first game. By the second game he made adjustments and it showed.

    Pierce was 8-29 in the first two games against us this year. He had a big third game (and even scored against PG!) He could have picked up on something.

    Every good defender has gotten lit up. Paul pierce had some good games against ron artest too you know.

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. comments from an O'brien supporter - warning its lengthy :)
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
  2. Do-it-all forward Granger has tough to-do list for Pacers
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  3. SLAM Top 50 | #21 Danny Granger
    By rel in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM
  4. ESPN-Henry Abbott-Three Thoughts About Danny Granger
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
  5. Danny Granger ranked 44th out in the Top 50 (AOL Sports)
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •