Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,256

    Default Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    How cool is that? You guys do us proud.

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...or-the-pacers/

    ORLANDO, Fla. – I had an excellent back-and-forth conversation going on with fans on Twitter on Sunday afternoon. I think most of the fans were from over at PacersDigest.com (a little plug for you guys).

    The hot topic was the Pacers’ second unit.

    George Hill. Tyler Hansbrough. Lance Stephenson. Lou Amundson.

    Those were the players most talked about.

    Hill and Hansbrough for their shooting problems.

    Stephenson and his continued maturation on the court.

    Amundson? I don’t remember because I don’t think anybody had anything positive to say about Lou.

    But after Sunday’s play against Orlando, the bench deserves credit. Actually they deserve a lot of credit because they were the unit that broke the game open in the second quarter.

    They were on the court when the Pacers led by as many as 15 points. It was the starters who played a significant part in why Orlando closed the first half on 22-4 run.

    The Pacers’ bench outscored Orlando’s bench 42-16. Indy is now 10-1 when its bench outscores the opposition’s second unit.

    “We rely heavily on our bench,” said Pacers forward Danny Granger, who scored a team-high 24 points. “When you have guys that come in and produce, it makes it easy on the starters. George Hill had a good night. Tyler Hansbrough (seven points and five rebounds) had some big buckets. Those guys definitely helped us.”

    Hill needed a breakout game because his shot had vanished in the three games (3-of-17) prior to Sunday.

    Hansbrough had a solid seven points and five rebounds. Amundson had his best game as a Pacer, getting eights points (4-of-4), five rebounds and two steals.

    Pacers coach Frank Vogel is giving Stephenson a few minutes in the first half of every game. Stephenson’s been getting fewer and fewer minutes in the first half, the time when bench struggled prior to Sunday, of games lately.

    The argument about Stephenson playing over A.J. Price is a regular topic of conversation. Talent wise? That’s a no brainer, Stephenson is clearly the winner.

    True point guard skills? That’s a no brainer, too, Price is clearly the winner in that department.

    That’s why I said last week that Price should get some minutes with the second unit.

    Price pushes the ball, he makes sure the ball is moving and he knows where his teammates like the ball on the court. That had been an area of concern with the second unit.

    I keep hearing from people that the Pacers should send Stephenson to the D-League so that he can play 30-plus minutes a game. The Pacers have never sent a player to the D-League and it’s not in their future plans. They want all their players to play in their system and be around the coaching staff all the time.

    The Pacers will hopefully get an added boost on the bench soon because they hope to have Jeff Foster against New Jersey on Tuesday.

    The bench has to produce for the Pacers.

    Vogel can’t afford to have to play his starters heavy minutes on a nightly basis because they play too many games over a short period of time.

    I enjoy the back-and-forth conversation with you guys on Twitter. There will be plenty of times where we agree to disagree on topics.

    Just ask my man Michael Grady.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,628

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    now if Kravitz would just make it known where he gets all his Pacers thoughts...

  4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,994

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I keep hearing from people that the Pacers should send Stephenson to the D-League so that he can play 30-plus minutes a game. The Pacers have never sent a player to the D-League and it’s not in their future plans. They want all their players to play in their system and be around the coaching staff all the time.
    Normally I think that would be a good idea, but in Stephenson's case you have to consider how mature he is. Stephenson appears to have grown up a lot, but putting him in a different environment would be just asking for trouble.


    I enjoy the back-and-forth conversation with you guys on Twitter. There will be plenty of times where we agree to disagree on topics.
    Personally I would never agree to disagree with someone. I think that's a stupid Internet saying, and for some reason it always touches my irate button!

    In a lazy world that is always looking for shortcuts it's easier to just say, "I disagree."

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,882

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    I sat through a lecture last week where the speaker ranted and raved about the phrase "agree to disagree"

    He said he hated this phrase, because it was an insult to the person you are speaking to.

    Not sure if I agree or disagree, but I had never heard someone so opposed to the phrase (though to be honest I have not heard the phrase very often)

  7. #5
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    There's a lot of threads around here where I would appreciate the knuckleheads who can't agree on anything to agree to disagree.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Back to Peck's point, I've felt for a number of years that PD has a good bit of influence. If your entire career is based around the Pacers (players, coaches, media, franchise staff) where else can you go beyond an article or two every week for extended commentary on the Pacers?

    This is the only game in town, imo.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  10. #7

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    now if Kravitz would just make it known where he gets all his Pacers thoughts...


    Like that's ever going to happen!

  11. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Stephenson in D-League would be like Stephenson in Summer League.... Beating up against inferior competition. He needs to go against guys he's not going to outmatch physically every time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #9
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,214

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    This plug also showed up in ESPN's First Cup: Monday article.

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:


  14. #10

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stephenson in D-League would be like Stephenson in Summer League.... Beating up against inferior competition. He needs to go against guys he's not going to outmatch physically every time.
    I think it would depend on how much control we had over the D-League, coaches and such.

    Lance didn't exactly "beat up on" college teams he played against. He was good, he won BE FOY (I believe), but he wasn't so amazing that

    He's either not good at playing a structured offense or really raw. If we go with raw, having him play in a structured offense, and giving the D-league instructions on how we want them to play Lance (within a team concept, having him learn to move without the ball, make the right passes etc..) and have him work on that, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

    But there are negatives. I don't know how much control the Pacers actually have over that. Putting him in a new environment, where he is probably one of the best players could hurt his maturity. He doesn't bond with his teammates on the road or get to be taught by Vogel and Shaw.

    So it's just weighing the two.

  15. #11
    Member Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sat through a lecture last week where the speaker ranted and raved about the phrase "agree to disagree"

    He said he hated this phrase, because it was an insult to the person you are speaking to.

    Not sure if I agree or disagree, but I had never heard someone so opposed to the phrase (though to be honest I have not heard the phrase very often)
    "Agree to disagree" is condescending. It's a way of saying, "I'm right and you're full of crap" while trying to pretend you're not really saying that. It's kind of like "With all due respect" actually meaning, "I'm about about to disrespect the hell out of you."
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

    "Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

  16. #12
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Agree to disagree" is condescending. It's a way of saying, "I'm right and you're full of crap" while trying to pretend you're not really saying that. It's kind of like "With all due respect" actually meaning, "I'm about about to disrespect the hell out of you."
    Nah.

    It's a way of saying, I hate your point of view, Nevertheless, I am going to be decent and cordial so that our pissing match doesn't ruin our lives today and the lives of those around us. The Golden Rule and all that.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  18. #13
    Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,436

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah.

    It's a way of saying, I hate your point of view, Nevertheless, I am going to be decent and cordial so that our pissing match doesn't ruin our lives today and the lives of those around us. The Golden Rule and all that.
    IDK. I think we'll have to agree to disagree. It's a complete disrespect to the person whom it's directed.


  19. #14
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Agree to disagree" is condescending. It's a way of saying, "I'm right and you're full of crap" while trying to pretend you're not really saying that. It's kind of like "With all due respect" actually meaning, "I'm about about to disrespect the hell out of you."
    As long as both parties can acknowledge to agree to disagree after a proper debate it's not condescending. Each one has their own view point right or wrong.

    But, when 1 of the 2 people has to change the actual pointed subject to make their argument and then that same person leaves "agree to disagree" when the debate was really never truly debated at point. Yes, I would call that condescending because that person is passing their self off as superior and they didn't either 1. Prove the original point or 2. Got off point, which never proved the point. Which is patronizing the other that never "agreed to disagree". This sort of thing happens all to often on here.

  20. #15
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a lot of threads around here where I would appreciate the knuckleheads who can't agree on anything to agree to disagree.
    I understand, but "agree to disagree" is extremely annoying to me and massively overused. It's 2nd only to "it is what it is" which is outright stupid. The latter falls in my "no s***" category, unless maybe we live in a world of magic where "nothing is what it seems", in which case "it is what it is" might actually be helpful information.


    Anyway, you don't agree to disagree, you should agree on where you disagree and why. Why not figure out what the sticking point explicitly is. If it's whether a person is tall or short, you can both agree on the actual height and agree that the definition of tall or short is subjective and can never be identified explicitly. Or you can both decide to just use some statistical version of taller than average or shorter than average.

    But people refuse to do that because it involves thinking and often giving up at least some of their entrenched position, and doing so makes them idiots (in their mind). Is it really so wrong to just say "okay, well maybe he isn't short, but he is only slightly above average height". ONOZ 2012 EOW (end of world).


    If you put any effort in to it and maintain a level of logic you can easily identify the sticking points, and could even come to a full, BETTER understanding where both sides benefit from the debate. It's the harder, more rewarding road.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-31-2012 at 12:00 PM.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah.

    It's a way of saying, I hate your point of view, Nevertheless, I am going to be decent and cordial so that our pissing match doesn't ruin our lives today and the lives of those around us. The Golden Rule and all that.
    Sure, and in that line of thinking can I petition the PD crowd to add an avitar for PUNT instead.

    No, seriously, add it and I'll use it. PUNT would mean and end to the current debate until later for the sake of everyone else and because it's 4th and long.

  23. #17
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    My experiences with "agree to disagree" both in seeing it used by others and occasionally using it myself are that the phrase is actually shorthand for "agree to disagree rather than continue going in circles over the same argument". Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have to be THE solution / the ONLY solution to an argument in order for it to be a valid one. It's a perfectly fine option to take IMO.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    As for "it is what it is" sometimes it does get used in a "well, no ****" scenario, but I've also heard it used in times where it was meant to point out that you can't escape the reality of the situation and that it's about accepting things for the way they are rather than obsessing over something you can't control or change. In other words "it is what it is; I can't do anything about it, so I may as well learn to accept it and try to move on".

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  27. #19

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In other words "it is what it is; I can't do anything about it, so I may as well learn to accept it and try to move on".
    That is my take on the proper use of the phrase.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My experiences with "agree to disagree" both in seeing it used by others and occasionally using it myself are that the phrase is actually shorthand for "agree to disagree rather than continue going in circles over the same argument".
    This.

    Seth, I hope your responses aren't linked to a sense that you are in the crosshairs here. I don't see your sometimes vociferous and prolific arguments as "continuing to go in circles over the same argument." Usually, you are bringing fresh information to the debate, instead of simply repeating ad hominem venom.

    Your type of disagreeing is welcome.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  31. #21
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    I'm not sure I agree with you guys and your ideas of what "agree to disagree" means... But I don't want to argue it about so let's just agree to disagree on this topic.














    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  32. #22
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure I agree with you guys and your ideas of what "agree to disagree" means... But I don't want to argue it about so let's just agree to disagree on this topic.














    No.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  33. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.
    That's not very agreeable!
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  34. #24
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,623

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Our threads go on some weird off-road courses sometimes...

  35. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Mike Wells gave us a plug in today's star...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our threads go on some weird off-road courses sometimes...
    I agree....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Similar Threads

  1. FIRE Mike Wells
    By HoopMoney in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
  2. Jim O'Brien interview with Mike Wells 1-26-11
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 03:31 AM
  3. couple of mike wells' articles on tinsley, trading
    By wintermute in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
  4. "Pacers Caught in a Tough Place" - Mike Wells
    By JayRedd in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
  5. His best in Past? Mike Wells Indy Star
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •