Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Irsay not happy with Peyton's comments

Default Jim Irsay not happy with Peyton's comments

“@TribStarTJames: "Don't put the Horseshoe in a bad light," Irsay said. PManning had talked about mood at Colts after recent firings of Polians and coasches.”

“@bkravitz: Jim Irsay not happy about Peyton's comments, not in the least: "Keep it in house.'' Further details to come in the Star.”

“@bkravitz: Irsay also called Peyton "a politician'' for some of his quotes in my story. This, sadly, is deteriorating.”

Default Re: Jim Irsay not happy with Peyton's comments

Ouch.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Yeah, Peyton's gone. Doesn't sound like the two are going to be on the best of terms when/if they meet to discuss the team option in March.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Mood

I don't see why Irsay has his panties in such a bunch. Peyton was just speaking how he perceived the current situation. Irsay is always putting out these off the wall tweets and such. I don't think it put the colts in a bad light but rather that there is a lot of change going on and he believes that he may be one of those changes.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see why Irsay has his panties in such a bunch. Peyton was just speaking how he perceived the current situation. Irsay is always putting out these off the wall tweets and such. I don't think it put the colts in a bad light but rather that there is a lot of change going on and he believes that he may be one of those changes.
    Irsay has been lying his *** off about everything concerning Peyton. He has no intention of paying the $28 million due in March. They will draft Luck and they will fail to make the playoffs for the next five years at least. They could bring back, Peyton, trade the rights to Luck for a boatload of picks and Peyton will get them back in the superbowl in three years or less. Irsay and his father were both idiots. Jim at least had the sense to hire the Polians and let them make the decisions. With him being more involved, the Colts will be cellar dwellers for quite a while.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...t|IndyStar.com

"“That’s not a correct perspective. Like I said, you keep it in house, your family, you talk to each other if you have problems, and he knows that."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Irsay, a guy who tweets every ridiculous thought that enters his head, is telling Manning to keep stuff "in house"? That's rich. Shouldn't Irsay be going by his own code and keep his unhappiness with Peyton's comments "in house".

It's downright sad to see how this situation is deteriorating. If we let go of Manning and he goes somewhere else and plays at an elite level then there are going to be some very livid fans and I'll be one of them.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I do think this is overblown really Indy Star "Breaking news"?

That being said Jimbo if you had just been upfront with Manning that you already made up your decision that you are pushing him out the door a lot of this could have been prevented.

The ironic thing is fans (most of them I like to think) would understand if you let Manning go(his questionable health, $$$ reasons) and move on towards Andrew Luck. However you have been a complete coward by not being upfront with Manning at all in any of this. You owe him that much.

Instead by even speaking on it you made it worse. And don't think Manning was going to take the Rob Lowe tweet you engineered lightly(and yes I think Jimbo is behind it who else would tell him such a thing?)

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a combination of the two camps, actually. The "Colts" not coming clean with what's going on in house. The "Manning" camp in not ******** or getting off the pot. He's going to wait until the 11th hour, 59th minute before he comes out and says one way or another. As much as I greatly like and admire Peyton, I don't feel the Colts are or were in any way obligated in clearing any of the front office, back office, staff or personnel moves with him. At the end of the day, as much as we don't like to think of him this way, he's just an employee of the Indianapolis Colts.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

If both sides are civil they could release Manning with a verbal agreement that they would resign him at the start of training camp IF he is healthy. That would give him a few extra months to rehab and heal. They could work something out if they really wanted to. That's what makes me think Irsay has already made the decision to release Manning. I want Manning back as much as anybody but not at the expense of our long term success. What if they retain Manning and he's still not healthy by Sept.? Not out of the question considering how slow the healing has been going so far.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Irsay has been lying his *** off about everything concerning Peyton. He has no intention of paying the $28 million due in March. They will draft Luck and they will fail to make the playoffs for the next five years at least. They could bring back, Peyton, trade the rights to Luck for a boatload of picks and Peyton will get them back in the superbowl in three years or less. Irsay and his father were both idiots. Jim at least had the sense to hire the Polians and let them make the decisions. With him being more involved, the Colts will be cellar dwellers for quite a while.
    First off, Manning isn't healthy and it is not known if he can even play football so why are you advocating keeping him and trading Luck?

Second, Irsay has to pay the $28 million bonus due to Manning, not Ryan Grigson or Bill Polian. He would be a moron to not be involved in that decision. It's his money!

Finally, you are pulling pure conjecture out of your *** claiming the Colts won't make the playoffs for a long time with Luck. They went 13-3 in Manning's second season for christsakes!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

The contract, being structured the way it is, really hamstrings Jim Irsay. Whether that was foreseeable or not I guess is anyone's guess... but it's extremely favorable to Peyton considering the injury situation and his age. Manning made a lot of money not to play this year and had to know that was at least a potential possibility. Irsay had to know it too. There is a safety valve this year with the contract but that's it.... No more safety valve's for the remainder of the contract.

Bill Polian really painted the team into a corner by making them so one dimensional and reliant on Manning. And now those chickens are coming home to roost with the Manningless Colts being the worst team in the NFL.

Anyone wishing it didn't have to end this way need not look any further than to the arrogant Bill Polian. He created the perfect storm for Manning's career as a Colt to end totally wrong.
    Last edited by Bball; 01-26-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I knew it would come to this...because it's the only rational thing Irsay can possibly do. It would be irresponsible on his part not to draft a replacement QB for a guy who may never again play football. Everybody loves Peyton, but it's time to move on. If handled well, this could actually build on Peyton's legacy...but I fear he will not take the proper steps...and those steps are not on the football field.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I knew it would come to this...because it's the only rational thing Irsay can possibly do. It would be irresponsible on his part not to draft a replacement QB for a guy who may never again play football. Everybody loves Peyton, but it's time to move on. If handled well, this could actually build on Peyton's legacy...but I fear he will not take the proper steps...and those steps are not on the football field.
    Well, Irsay did say "if Peyton is healthy, he will be the starting quarterback for the Colts next year"

We will see if that was BS or if he keeps his word

Eevrything I have read/heard leds me to believe Peyton is doing ervything he can to return and has no desire to retire

Also as much as I love Peyton, he comes across, at times, like the kid who didnt get picked on the basketballl court and says "then Im taking my ball and going home"
    Sittin on top of the world!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Well, Irsay did say "if Peyton is healthy, he will be the starting quarterback for the Colts next year"

We will see if that was BS or if he keeps his word

Eevrything I have read/heard leds me to believe Peyton is doing ervything he can to return and has no desire to retire

Also as much as I love Peyton, he comes across, at times, like the kid who didnt get picked on the basketballl court and says "then Im taking my ball and going home"
    Irsay can slip right out of that statement by claiming he has to do the right thing for the franchise because he doesn't know if Peyton will be healthy. Who can argue? ...and quite frankly I suspect Irsay fully believes he will not know by the time he has to make a decision...and with 28M on the line, that's going to be hard to eat. Who in their right mind would take that type of risk?

Even if he kept Manning, the shelf life isn't very long...and best case he's damaged goods...and he will have layers of rust on an old body. Can you say Kerry Collins?

This isn't a hard business decision.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm very disappointed in these comments by Jim. Peyton didn't say anything that justified that response.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I never understood this build his legacy for what?

His legacy is what he does on the field.

Nobody cares where he wins SBs(only the fans of the respective teams) its whether he can win more than one. He wants to play until he can't anymore and preferably win another SB if possible. Favre tarnished his image with his indecisiveness than playing elsewhere. Had he won an SB with the Vikings he would be remembered far differently than he is now.

He doesn't want it to end with him watching the Jets boot us out of the playoffs thanks to a ill fated gaffe by Caldwell.

I get that and as a fan of Manning himself I'd like to see him play even if its not here because he deserves to have his career end on his terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm very disappointed in these comments by Jim. Peyton didn't say anything that justified that response.
    Yes and no.... They certainly weren't THAT bad... But what if Manning wanted Polian gone himself? What if Manning wasn't a fan of the defense? What if Manning thought Caldwell was a great guy, but not a great coach? What if Manning agreed with what a lot of fans and pundits had said? And what if Irsay knew that Manning felt that way?

Then instead of backing Irsay or staying neutral, Peyton talks about low morale at the Colts complex and separates himself from the decisions being made and could be construed as implying he doesn't agree with them. That would be what a politician would do... (Edit: Let someone else take the heat for decisions you agree with but can sidestep and act like you wouldn't have done the same).

If I was Irsay and knew Peyton was being disingenuous I wouldn't be happy with his comments either. But that assumes Manning is being disingenuous. IMHO he probably was exactly that... But I could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't see Irsay doing anything any sane football executive wouldn't be doing... except for he's a few years too late IMO.... And I have a hard time seeing how Manning could disagree with the moves to this point (except maybe hating to see Caldwell fired but he HAD to understand why...).
    Last edited by Bball; 01-27-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

I agree. Christ, all Manning basically said was that he was sad to see longtime friends go. It's not like he trashed the organization or anything. Irsay looks like a fool reacting this way.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I don't blame Irsay for feeling this way at all, but he looks like a hypocrite for saying it publicly.

Keep it in house, Mr. Irsay.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I don't blame Irsay for feeling this way at all, but he looks like a hypocrite for saying it publicly.

Keep it in house, Mr. Irsay.
    That was my first reaction in all of this. You are going to go to the media to complain about your HOF QB who talked about things to the media. That does not make a whole lot of sense and is just making things worse.

How about instead of going to the media to say this you call Manning and talk about everything.

Instead you just upstage your new HC and everything becomes about you vs. Manning instead of about the Indianapolis Colts.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I don't necessarily disagree with anything Jim said but I know he's foolish for getting into a PR battle with Peyton, even an extremely minor one like this. Peyton isn't losing that fight.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

This is surprising. People who have thought PM was gone last week, think this means he's gone today.

Talk about blowing things out of proportion. Par for the course, I guess.

At the end of the day, there is absolutely no way Irsay can justify releasing a healthy Peyton Manning. He gives the Colts the best chance to win now and in the coming seasons.

Irsay has repeatedly said that if Manning is healthy, he is a Colts next year. Irsay can recoup that $28 million just in the extra ticket sales at home games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    At the end of the day, there is absolutely no way Irsay can justify releasing a healthy Peyton Manning. He gives the Colts the best chance to win now and in the coming seasons.

Irsay has repeatedly said that if Manning is healthy, he is a Colts next year. Irsay can recoup that $28 million just in the extra ticket sales at home games.
    Im sure they did fine last year on tix sells I was at one game and it looked like a sell out. People bought tixs before the injury so sells weren't affected much.

PM 28m pays for itself pretty easily off merchandise and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post

The problem for Manning and the Colts is that the end of the day is coming.....really, really soon. Colts have to decide by March 8 whether to cut him or pay him $28M. Manning's health right now is still up in the air at best and it probably won't be any more clear 6 weeks from now.

So this "If Manning is healthy" argument is really an empty statement. It doesn't mean anything because chances are you won't be anymore sure about his health (on the day that it matters) than you are now.
    Last edited by d_c; 01-27-2012 at 11:16 PM.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post: