Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Define "Young" I mean AJ is a "Young" player...I would do that deal...
    I would do a 2nd and AJ. No way would I do a 1st and he walks 30 games later.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Of course Peck, but I have found that site to be fairly accurate, then I saw this and had to chuckle

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...an-bible-12812
    Well that's not gonna happen but hey maybe we get lucky for once and rob someone ok to hope right

3. The Following User Says Thank You to granger4mvp For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Bummer that we amnestied Posey.
    How so? It's not like we need him to make a lop-sided trade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We gave up our first for a deal for George Hill who we may not have longer than this year, and if we do the same for Kaman we will have nothing to show next year for two straight years of 1st round picks.

Not wise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think we let this play out, and if the market allows us to get Kaman at a fire sale, we go for it.

All those years of disciplining ourselves to be way under the cap—we did that in order to get crazy good deals now. If it's not crazy good, pass.

Also, I think we are overreacting to this opportunity because of how gosh-awful Amundson has been. Yet, we don't need a $14 million a year replacement for Amundson, we simply need a big who can play decent defense and make a layup. As Sookie noted, even Solo would have been decent. We can get what we need for $3 million.

Also, what we REALLY need is a point guard. Heinrich was mentioned in one of the articles. Is he an expiring? Could we get him? While not an elite PG, his decent distribution and defense would be a game changer for us the second half of the season.

Any other pg's out there to land with our cap space? Let's look there, and meanwhile solve the backup center problem with an okay player, not a former all-star.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    We gave up our first for a deal for George Hill who we may not have longer than this year, and if we do the same for Kaman we will have nothing to show next year for two straight years of 1st round picks.

Not wise.
    It's not wise when it's a certainty that they won't come back. We don't know that with Hill or Kaman at this point. It's part of the accepted risk when you make such a deal, but the lack of wisdom only enters in if you KNOW they aren't coming back.

Past that, I generally prefer to have a spot in the 1st round of every draft, but let's face it if there's ever a time to toss a couple of picks away, it's right now while we already have our youth core and are more interested in veteran pieces.

Franchises have a "circle of life" with regards to being bad/young to good/not-so-young to bad/too old". If we were in the first or last stage, I wouldn't want to give up picks at all, but we're just now entering the middle stage again; now's a good time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yet, we don't need a $14 million a year replacement for Amundson,
    If by '$14m a year' you mean closer to 7 or 8 million (the season is already going, plus the lockout trimmed some off the top) for ONE year, then yeah '$14m a year.'

Banned

So let's say that we trade our 1st for Kaman, could we sign him to an extension right away? He could be the perfect Foster replacement of the future.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    So let's say that we trade our 1st for Kaman, could we sign him to an extension right away? He could be the perfect Foster replacement of the future.
    The rookie contracts had to be extended by the 25th, but I don't know if that's any different for non-rookie contracts. I'm doubting it, though.

Still, if he fits in and we do well, who is to say he wouldn't want to come back? Why not, assuming he's happy?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Considering Jazz, Rockets, Spurs, Celts and Warriors are all riding cap or way over. I don't see them being in a very good position to get Kaman. Not saying a third or 4th team couldn't get involved to help one of these teams get in salary position to do so, I just have my doubts.

The Pacers on the other hand would be kinda silly not to make a move, but not for a 1st rnd pick, unless they can get a future commitment from Kaman...not sure that is possible.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is gonna want starters money and starters PT

He would only play around 20mpg here.

He will get overpaid in free agency by a team who needs a C.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If by '$14m a year' you mean closer to 7 or 8 million (the season is already going, plus the lockout trimmed some off the top) for ONE year, then yeah '$14m a year.'
    Yes.

That also means the player that can decently replace Amundson for $3 million is really around half that. Right?

Use the rest on what we really need.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

Maybe. Or he might place value in being on a winning team for the first time in his career.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I don't understand the Jazz having interest? They have plenty of young bigs already? Spurs I could see needing depth, but want can they offer?

I think the Rockets make the most sense. They were involved in the 3 way proposal with Lakers and have been looking for a big since Yao injuries.

They just signed Dalembert at 7 mil, and the Rockets are over the cap. It would have to be a trade. Maybe they are planning on trading Thabeet, T'Will, Flynn, and Hill with team options to NOLA. LOL!

Ok anyone who thinks Kirk Hinrich is better than DC I don't know how I can help you...DC is a huge improvement (in current state) over Hinrich...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yes.

That also means the player that can decently replace Amundson for $3 million is really around half that. Right?

Use the rest on what we really need.
    Kaman is a lot better than a Solomon Jones type of guy. A lot better. He's, what, two years removed from the all-star game? This would do for us at center what David and Tyler (when Tyler's not playing like ***) does for us at power foward. Practically two starters. This isn't just about filling a hole, this is about getting significantly better.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/75...?eleven=twelve

The New Orleans Hornets are actively trying to trade center Chris Kaman, who was not with the team for its home game Friday night against Orlando as the league-owned Hornets field trade calls for him.

The Hornets have decided to shelve Kaman until they can find a trade home for him after making the decision to give his minutes to young players. Kaman had been made inactive for Wednesday's loss at Oklahoma City even though he's not injured.

"We've informed Chris that we are looking into possible trades and he was understanding about the situation," Hornets GM Dell Demps said. "We're working together on this.

"Chris has been the ultimate professional since he joined us. In no way is this a disciplinary action. We had discussions about extending his current contract when he first came to the Hornets, but the organization decided to go in a different direction."

The Hornets acquired Kaman in December as part of the blockbuster deal that sent face of the franchise Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers, but it was widely assumed around the league from the start that New Orleans would turn around and trade Kaman before the March 15 deadline, at least partly because he has an expiring contract.

"It's just something (where) we want to play our young guys and we certainly don't want to disrespect Chris at all," Hornets coach Monty Williams told local reporters before Friday night's game against the Magic.

"This is something we want to keep internally. It's certainly not disciplinary and he understands and I talked to him. We're going to play Jason Smith, Gustavo Ayon and Al-Farouq Aminu. It's just difficult to play that many bigs and I understand how difficult it is for (Kaman) to not get the minutes he wants."

Kaman, who turns 30 in April, is making roughly $14 million this season. He became the oldest player on the Hornets' roster after being dealt with guard Eric Gordon, Aminu and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round pick for Paul.

Capitalizing on the minutes vacated by Kaman, Ayon scored 16 points in 17 minutes against the Thunder on 8-for-10 shooting.

Once the Hornets made the decision to focus on the development of their young big men, sources close to the situation said, they approached Kaman and his representative, Rob Pelinka, about the 7-footer being deactivated until a trade can be consummated. The thinking is that it would be unwise to play Kaman even in spot minutes and risk exposing him to injury if it's clear that he will be dealt before the March 15 trading deadline.

With the Hornets mired at 3-15 entering Friday's play, building for the future in the wake of Paul's departure has emerged as the organization's clear priority.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Kaman is a lot better than a Solomon Jones type of guy. A lot better. He's, what, two years removed from the all-star game? This would do for us at center what David and Tyler (when Tyler's not playing like ***) does for us at power foward. Practically two starters. This isn't just about filling a hole, this is about getting significantly better.
    I would be right with you if our biggest glaring need were not point guard.

I'd love Kaman, but not at the expense of what we really need.

We have a budding all-star center. We need a a decent backup at 20 minutes per game (IF Foster is not healthy). We don't need an expensive ex All Star, but yes, it would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    They just signed Dalembert at 7 mil, and the Rockets are over the cap. It would have to be a trade. Maybe they are planning on trading Thabeet, T'Will, Flynn, and Hill with team options to NOLA. LOL!
    Back in 2009 if someone said to a GM, "You can have all these players for Chris Kaman," they would be like WHAAAA???? NO QUESTION....funny how time changes stuff.

It's not wise when it's a certainty that they won't come back. We don't know that with Hill or Kaman at this point. It's part of the accepted risk when you make such a deal, but the lack of wisdom only enters in if you KNOW they aren't coming back.

Past that, I generally prefer to have a spot in the 1st round of every draft, but let's face it if there's ever a time to toss a couple of picks away, it's right now while we already have our youth core and are more interested in veteran pieces.

Franchises have a "circle of life" with regards to being bad/young to good/not-so-young to bad/too old". If we were in the first or last stage, I wouldn't want to give up picks at all, but we're just now entering the middle stage again; now's a good time.
    Here's the problem though, in free agency it'll probably cost 7 or 8 million to keep George Hill. Then you're looking at 10 million to keep Kaman, and what? 12+ million to keep Hibbert?

Then how do you pay anyone else? Between Hill, Hibbert, Granger and Kaman you're looking at 40+ million. Those rookie scale players are important to balance salary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

Dalembert got "starter money" what was that like 8mil? sign me up to sign Kaman for 7/8 mil for the next few years.

How so? It's not like we need him to make a lop-sided trade.
    If we have to sign a minimum of $4M in salary back to NOH, what's the solution?

Banned

OK so I was playing with the trade machine and came up with this:

Indiana Pacers gets: Monta,Biedrins,Jarret Jack.

Golden State gets: Hill, Ariza, Kaman

New Orleans gets: Wright, DJ, DC+ picks.

Indiana Pacers starting unit: Monta,PG,Danny,West,Roy

bench: AJ,JJ,Lance,Tyler,Briedrins.

OK so I was playing with the trade machine and came up with this:

Indiana Pacers gets: Monta,Biedrins,Jarret Jack.

Golden State gets: Hill, Ariza, Kaman

New Orleans gets: Wright, DJ, DC+ picks.

Indiana Pacers starting unit: Monta,PG,Danny,West,Roy

bench: AJ,JJ,Lance,Tyler,Briedrins.
    I highly doubt New Orleans would do that deal but Biedrins current deal is really bad...How many years does he have left on that?
    On Second glance it's not too bad but Golden State isn't going to be super excited about that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Ok anyone who thinks Kirk Hinrich is better than DC I don't know how I can help you...DC is a huge improvement (in current state) over Hinrich...
    Really?

In a half-court game, Hinrich is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Collison. As a defender, Hinrich is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Collison. And on the break, although Collison is definitely faster, I would probably prefer Hinrich's decision making.

So, yeah. Hinrich is better than Collison.

Hinrich is making 7.5M this season and will become a free agent. Collison's salary will be on the increase. Hinrich, because he has not been starting, has a salary that will decline.

To be honest, I would love to have both players. And I really wouldn't care who started. Just bring in Hinrich. Beyond those two, I really couldn't care less who is third on the depth chart.

As for Kaman, I'd give up Lance or AJ and a second. If we can re-sign him to a more reasonable contract, fine. That means we don't need Lou. Foster surely will retire after this season anyway.

So, if we had Kaman and Hinrich on our roster to replace Price or Lance and Lou and Foster going into next season, I'd be pleased.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post: