Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

Default Re: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

I wouldn't trade 1st round draft pick, considering how deep this draft will be. We aren't going to the finals this year, but we are better than 6th seed, so lets just play hard until this summer's free agency. No need to force things.

I wouldn't give up a #1 draft pick for him even if we were going to try and keep him, because it wouldn't be a sure thing we could keep him.

I would give up Lance, cap space and 2ed rounders for him.

As for Stanko, isn't he supposed to come over next year? If so I wouldn't include him, because he could be in the front office's plans to be Roy's backup next year.

Sports Logo

If EJ is out of the picture ( as in, the Pacers have ZERO chance of signing him next offseason ), as an "added incentive", is there anyway to offer to send a 1st round pick and Amundson to the Hornets while offering to take on Kaman AND Ariza ( I don't know if the salaries will work out )?

The "added incentive" would be the willingness to take on Ariza's 3 year long-term contract ( $6.7mil/$7.2mil/$7.7mil ) ....which is something that I'd think that the Hornets/Stern would want to do to make the Team easier to sell.

Ariza is still young and is still an impact Player that can still contribute at a high level on both ends of the floor and would IMHO fill the need to add a high Quality Player to the roster to fill out the perceived 9-man rotation that I think that we need to make it deep into the Playoffs for the next couple of seasons.

I know, it's a stetch...but this is the only other incentive that I can see that the Pacers could offer without sending any "prospects"
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for Stanko, isn't he supposed to come over next year? If so I wouldn't include him, because he could be in the front office's plans to be Roy's backup next year.
    Honestly, I would love to have some idea about what Earth the FO is going to do with Stanko. If we had any inkling that Stanko may come over next sesaon, then I'd give up my campaign to add some long term frontcourt depth just knowing that Stanko is going to finally be that guy next season.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Honestly, I would love to have some idea about what Earth the FO is going to do with Stanko. If we had any inkling that Stanko may come over next sesaon, then I'd give up my campaign to add some long term frontcourt depth just knowing that Stanko is going to finally be that guy next season.
    I think it was last year that Bird said that they planned to bring Stanko over in the next couple years.

I looked it up; http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_101022.html

Oct. 22, 2010
    Barac impressive in exhibitions against NBA teams

They've measured his progress over the years in Europe, watching him grow physically and as a prospect. They've seen him transform from a skilled but gangly teen into a full-bodied banger.

Now that the Pacers finally have seen Stanko Barac perform against NBA competition, they know their time has been well-spent.

Barac traveled to the U.S. with his Caja Laboral (Spain) team for a pair of exhibition games, Oct. 14 in Memphis and Oct. 16 in San Antonio, and his performance was encouraging.

"Larry (Bird) and I were very pleased with his progress," said General Manager David Morway. "He is very skilled offensively and showed pretty good mobility for his size. He also has a high basketball IQ."

After battling foul trouble against the Grizzlies, the 7-2 Barac had 17 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots against the Spurs.

"In the San Antonio game he played great … he probably changed eight to 10 shots around the basket," said Director of Scouting Ryan Carr. "I think it was good for him because he has the confidence he can play with those guys, matching up against Tim Duncan and DaJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess and having some success was probably a really good thing for him.

"He's come a long way. He's probably up to about 250 pounds, which is about 20 more than when we drafted him. He's as skilled a center as there is in the world. It doesn't make him the best but he scores with either hand in the post, he can shoot mid-range jumpers well, he's got a great touch, he's got a nice feel for the game. He's really maturing and getting a lot better. He's still only 24 years old and I would say we're really happy with the progress he has made."

The Pacers acquired Barac, a second-round pick, in a draft-night trade with Miami in 2007. He has remained in Europe, competing for his native Croatia in the 2008 Olympics, and has evolved into a top-tier player. After playing behind Tiago Splitter last season with Caja Laboral, Barac is now the starter as Splitter has joined the Spurs.

The opportunity to see Barac play against NBA teams was a major opportunity for the Pacers' scouting staff.

"I think it was really important," said Carr. "We've seen him play in the EuroLeague. This is the first year since we've drafted him that he's a full-time starter and plays a lot of minutes. We're excited about that. He doesn't have to play behind Splitter anymore.

"We've seen him play international competition but to play against NBA players was really important just to get a better sense of what he could do in our rules, in the spacing we play with, which is all so different from the way they play over there. It's a much more physical game over there. It was interesting to see."

Barac committed 11 fouls in the two games, the vast majority on moving screens in pick-and-roll situations, a play that is legal in Europe but not in the NBA. In the two games, he totaled 52 minutes, 23 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks, making 10 of 25 shots from the field.

He is under contract in Europe for two more seasons, though there are buyout options in the summer. (This article is dated Oct.22, 2010.)
    Barac won't be joining the Pacers right away but his time could be coming in the near future if he continues to progress.

"He's a guy that the public forgets about a little bit or doesn't get to see so they're not really sure what he is. He's kind of like an urban legend," said Carr. "But we track him closely, we see him play numerous times, we have a close relationship with him. If the time comes that it fits the team and his situation, then you have to look at it. He's an asset. We didn't draft him just to draft him, we drafted him because we liked him as a player."
    ------------------

After re-reading this I don't think the Pacers are interested in trading the rights to Stanko.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think it was last year that Bird said that they planned to bring Stanko over in the next couple years.

Oct. 22, 2010

They've measured his progress over the years in Europe, watching him grow physically and as a prospect. They've seen him transform from a skilled but gangly teen into a full-bodied banger.

Now that the Pacers finally have seen Stanko Barac perform against NBA competition, they know their time has been well-spent.

Barac traveled to the U.S. with his Caja Laboral (Spain) team for a pair of exhibition games, Oct. 14 in Memphis and Oct. 16 in San Antonio, and his performance was encouraging.

"Larry (Bird) and I were very pleased with his progress," said General Manager David Morway. "He is very skilled offensively and showed pretty good mobility for his size. He also has a high basketball IQ."

After battling foul trouble against the Grizzlies, the 7-2 Barac had 17 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots against the Spurs.

"In the San Antonio game he played great … he probably changed eight to 10 shots around the basket," said Director of Scouting Ryan Carr. "I think it was good for him because he has the confidence he can play with those guys, matching up against Tim Duncan and DaJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess and having some success was probably a really good thing for him.

"He's come a long way. He's probably up to about 250 pounds, which is about 20 more than when we drafted him. He's as skilled a center as there is in the world. It doesn't make him the best but he scores with either hand in the post, he can shoot mid-range jumpers well, he's got a great touch, he's got a nice feel for the game. He's really maturing and getting a lot better. He's still only 24 years old and I would say we're really happy with the progress he has made."

The Pacers acquired Barac, a second-round pick, in a draft-night trade with Miami in 2007. He has remained in Europe, competing for his native Croatia in the 2008 Olympics, and has evolved into a top-tier player. After playing behind Tiago Splitter last season with Caja Laboral, Barac is now the starter as Splitter has joined the Spurs.

The opportunity to see Barac play against NBA teams was a major opportunity for the Pacers' scouting staff.

"I think it was really important," said Carr. "We've seen him play in the EuroLeague. This is the first year since we've drafted him that he's a full-time starter and plays a lot of minutes. We're excited about that. He doesn't have to play behind Splitter anymore.

"We've seen him play international competition but to play against NBA players was really important just to get a better sense of what he could do in our rules, in the spacing we play with, which is all so different from the way they play over there. It's a much more physical game over there. It was interesting to see."

Barac committed 11 fouls in the two games, the vast majority on moving screens in pick-and-roll situations, a play that is legal in Europe but not in the NBA. In the two games, he totaled 52 minutes, 23 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks, making 10 of 25 shots from the field.

He is under contract in Europe for two more seasons, though there are buyout options in the summer. Barac won't be joining the Pacers right away but his time could be coming in the near future if he continues to progress.

"He's a guy that the public forgets about a little bit or doesn't get to see so they're not really sure what he is. He's kind of like an urban legend," said Carr. "But we track him closely, we see him play numerous times, we have a close relationship with him. If the time comes that it fits the team and his situation, then you have to look at it. He's an asset. We didn't draft him just to draft him, we drafted him because we liked him as a player."
    After all this time, I just want to see him in a Pacers uniform....I just need to know if he's worth it or not.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

We could absolutely use him, and available quality guys on expiring deals are definitely what we should be looking into, but I don't see any way we could do it. I'd do a top 20ish protected 1st and AJ, but not anything more. Kaman's a starting caliber 7 footer, he'll get a big deal in the offseason so not like we'd keep him long term.

They'll get better offers than that. I assume anyway.

Oct. 22, 2010

He is under contract in Europe for two more seasons, though there are buyout options in the summer. (This article is dated Oct.22, 2010.)
    Barac won't be joining the Pacers right away but his time could be coming in the near future if he continues to progress.

------------------

After re-reading this I don't think the Pacers are interested in trading the rights to Stanko.
    Your reading to much into it IMO. There are a lof if's and could's used here. I think the greatest value he has to our club are his rights. Just like Lorbek.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Your reading to much into it IMO. There are a lof if's and could's used here. I think the greatest value he has to our club are his rights. Just like Lorbek.
    I could see them trading his rights for a sure thing, but not to New Orleans for Kaman. If the Pacers wanted to keep Kaman for our core, and were sure they could, yes I could see that, but not as a rental.

Sports Logo

We shouldn't trade for him, but we should get involved in a trade around him. Check the trades forum, I posted an Idea there

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like this is a steal waiting to happen. Yes, it means Tyler's minutes will probably be scaled back. I like Hans a lot but...Kaman would be an above average backup and sooo much better than Lou (and Foster at this point - he's never going to play in every game again).

Make it so.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Report: Hornets shopping center Chris Kaman | ProBasketballTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Helin
    When you heard that center Chris Kaman was a healthy scratch Wednesday, then again Friday night for the Hornets, you wondered what was up. That team is too devoid of talent to just sit a solid center. It’s not a question of effort, say what you will about Kaman he’s trying.

Now we know — the Hornets are trying to trade him.

Hornets GM Dell Demps confirmed it to Marc Stein of ESPN.
    Although sources stressed to ESPN.com that no deal was imminent, Kaman was not with the team for its home game Friday night against Orlando while the league-owned Hornets field trade calls for him.

The Hornets, sources said, have decided to shelve Kaman until they can find a trade home for him after making the decision to give his minutes to young players.
    Teams that are interested include the Rockets, Pacers, Jazz and Spurs, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Houston and the Spurs needs size in the paint and have chased just about every center on the market; the Pacers could use depth behind the emerging Roy Hibbert.

But that $14 million salary will make moving Kaman a challenge because the Hornets only want building blocks back — young players, picks — and are not going to take on more salary. Especially with the league owning the team and trying to sell it.

Remember the Hornets drove a hard deal in moving Chris Paul, killing a deal with the Lakers (although I still think pressure from other owners was involved there) and at one point driving the Clippers away from the table by asking for too much.

They may be doing it again, Wojnarowski tweets that other executives are again balking at the price asked.
    “They were asking for draft picks, cap space and a young player,” one executive says.
    Demps has got a challenge on his hands.

Kaman was part of the trade that sent Chris Paul to the Clippers. It was long assumed the Hornets would eventually try to move him elsewhere. While overpaid at $14 million this season, he is a solid NBA center who can score on the block, defend and rebound (he is averaging 9.2 points and 6.6 rebounds a game this season). Plus he is only 29. There are reasons to want him.

Banned
    Mood

Another article...

The Difficulty in trading Kaman | Hornets247.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McNamara
    The Hornets are actively looking to move Chris Kaman, but finding a suitor might not be as easy as you might think.

According to Dell Demps today, “We had a conversation with Chris [Kaman] and expressed that the Hornets are going to go in a different direction. We mutually decided for a number of reasons that we are not going to play Chris as we pursue a trade. Chris has been the ultimate professional during this process and we thank him for the way he has handled this situation.”

The Hornets have shelved center Chris Kaman while seeking a trade, partly because they want to get their young bigs some playing time, and partly because they don’t want to see him get injured before they can move him. Considering Kaman’s injury history, this is a pretty smart move by GM Dell Demps, who is hamstrung by a couple of CBA rules that is making it difficult to trade CK35.

The Hornets can trade Kaman today, but they could not include any other players in the deal per the CBA. They would have to wait until mid-February before they could include him as part of a package. Also, as part of the CBA, the Hornets also have to take back salary that is relatively close to the salary they are given away- within 150% to be exact for teams below cap, and within 125% for teams above it. Kaman is on the books for a little over 12 million this year (disregard the salary on Hoopshype, because that includes his 15% trade kicker), meaning that the Hornets have to take back between 8.2 and 18.5 million dollars when trading Kaman to make the deal work, and to get Commissioner Stern’s approval. Sorry, I had to go there.

The problem here is that there aren’t many big expiring contracts out there, and the Hornets don’t want to take back long term contracts in a deal for Kaman. They would ideally want a big expiring contract to make the trade work under league rules and an asset or two like a pick or a young guy on a rookie contract. The Milwaukee Bucks, for example, have a guy just like that in Larry Sanders. They also have a need at center now that Andrew Bogut is out for 2-3 months. The problem? They dont have the expiring contracts required to make the deal. Same goes for teams like the Lakers, the Spurs, or Magic, who are in win now mode and could use a backup center like Kaman for the stretch run.

However, there are a few teams that have the need and the combination of contracts and assets to make the deal work. The Hawks are without Al Horford and don’t really need point guard Kirk Hinrich now that Jeff Teague has emerged. Hinrich, a pick, and Jason Collins for Kaman would work for both teams and would be approved by the league. The Celtics could use an upgrade in the middle as they make one last run, and have two first round picks in this year’s draft that they can pair with over the hill center Jermaine O’Neal.

Rockets and Jazz are said to be showing interest as well according to Yahoo Sports, and both teams have the type of young assets and picks that the Hornets could covet. Houston has their own pick and the Knicks pick, along with young bigs in Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet. Meanwhile, Utah is still owed picks from the Nets, and could easily get a third team involved who might be interested in Al Jefferson, as they swap him out for a more conventional center and a guy on a shorter contract. Pacers are also interesting because they are nearly eight million under the cap and won’t have to come within the 150%. Theoretically they can trade for Kaman and only put four million or so in the deal.

But overall, the market would be much bigger for a 7’0 center with low post moves if not for the odd combination of CBA rules and very specific needs that the Hornets have in this case. Perhaps the Hornets could get a third team involved, or wait until mid-February and package Kaman with another contract they would like to get off the books for a shorter bad contract and assets (Kaman and Ariza for SJax, Larry Sanders, and a top-10 protected pick?).

No matter what, this will be an interesting plot line to follow and another semi-genius move by Demps. He wanted to see if this team could make a run at the playoffs, but once he saw that was not a possibility, he shut down his asset before he got injured and Dell got nothing for him. The league knows what Kaman can do. He is not a savior, but he is not a goat either. He will give some contender a top of the line big off the bench, and will only cost a first round pick or two in the 20′s.

And Demps will have yet another intriguing asset with which to wield his magic.

Banned
    Mood

One big factor I think we have working against us is that we're (allegedly) only interested in Kaman as a one-year rental. I'd have to think that would limit the kind of offers we'd be willing to make. Teams who are looking to acquire him, not just for the rest of the season, but who are interested in re-signing him, will have extra incentive to make New Orleans a nice offer.

If we were looking to bring in Kaman for longer than the rest of the season, it'd be much easier to give up a 1st round pick. Does anyone think that's a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post

If we were looking to bring in Kaman for longer than the rest of the season, it'd be much easier to give up a 1st round pick. Does anyone think that's a possibility?
    I've already mentioned that as a possibility, however why would we give up a first rounder if we weren't sure he would re-sign with us? That would be really dumb!

So, he would have to agree to an extension, but didn't the deadline for giving extensions just pass, or can you do that anyway in a trade? Whatever, giving him an extension on his present contract would be overpaying. Would he be worth it?

A lot of unknown here, but golly gee I would like to add him to our front line!

, as part of the CBA, the Hornets also have to take back salary that is relatively close to the salary they are given away- within 150% to be exact for teams below cap, and within 125% for teams above it.

Is this quote from the above article correct? I thought teams under the cap could just absorb a players salary and send back a second round pick.
    If that's correct, it's a stupid rule to put in the new cba. Players were already hard enough to trade.
    Too bad we amnestied Posey.

I'd also be against sending out a first round pick. The only way a team should do this is if they thought Kaman would be the difference maker for a championship run and we're not there yet. Honestly, if Hill is stuck at 7.5 mil then he's nothing more then a rental right now and we have players that can fill his role. I'd give up one rental for another in hopes of keeping Kaman long term. Otherwise, why give up assets for a player you can sign in the offseason as an ufa while giving up nothing.
    I think everyone needs to realize that there is no point in going after Kaman if all we plan on giving him is Lou's minutes. We'd need to make significant rotation changes to give Kaman the minutes he deserves.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 01-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Bummer that we amnestied Posey.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Seems doubtful, unless the Pacers are open to the possibility of losing Hibbert.

I do think that other teams would be willing to offer up more. We might be better off playing a third team role as a facilitator, plucking off unwanted salary that would have headed to NOH.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If EJ is out of the picture ( as in, the Pacers have ZERO chance of signing him next offseason ), as an "added incentive", is there anyway to offer to send a 1st round pick and Amundson to the Hornets while offering to take on Kaman AND Ariza ( I don't know if the salaries will work out )?

The "added incentive" would be the willingness to take on Ariza's 3 year long-term contract ( $6.7mil/$7.2mil/$7.7mil ) ....which is something that I'd think that the Hornets/Stern would want to do to make the Team easier to sell.

Ariza is still young and is still an impact Player that can still contribute at a high level on both ends of the floor and would IMHO fill the need to add a high Quality Player to the roster to fill out the perceived 9-man rotation that I think that we need to make it deep into the Playoffs for the next couple of seasons.

I know, it's a stetch...but this is the only other incentive that I can see that the Pacers could offer without sending any "prospects"
    That wouldn't work as we'd be taking on too much salary plus Ariza is the last guy we could use and wouldn't get much PT. I wouldn't mind getting Kaman but would rather hold out closer to the deadline to see who else might become available. We need a backup C and I think we will get one. BTW, no disrespect but did you come up with that David West thing? False advertising.

I don't understand the Jazz having interest? They have plenty of young bigs already? Spurs I could see needing depth, but want can they offer?

I think the Rockets make the most sense. They were involved in the 3 way proposal with Lakers and have been looking for a big since Yao injuries.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...an-bible-12812

So we are interested in Kaman?

Joe
    Where does Chris Kaman and his expiring contract land? He would certainly fill a need for the Celts or Warriors but it’s hard to see who they would get in return.

Susan Bible
    Sources name Jazz, Rockets, Spurs and Pacers as possible trade partners. Apparently the Hornets want an unprotected first round pick this year and a young player for Kaman.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Unprotected first, AND a young player?

Bah. Have a good day. I would be out of those negotiations just like that.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    "sources" means nothing in today's internet driven sports media. It could be somebody sitting in their office talking about who needs a backup center and now all of a sudden it's a source.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    "sources" means nothing in today's internet driven sports media. It could be somebody sitting in their office talking about who needs a backup center and now all of a sudden it's a source.
    Of course Peck, but I have found that site to be fairly accurate, then I saw this and had to chuckle

Omar

What would the Indiana Pacers give up for Chris Kaman?

Susan Bible

Amundson and their first-round pick
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...an-bible-12812
    Sittin on top of the world!

Define "Young" I mean AJ is a "Young" player...I would do that deal...