Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

We need to keep our draft picks to use to address that position (backup C) based on our current depth and Roy's pending RFA status. (We need someone cheap.)

Let Kaman get bought out and offer him the minimum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't be opposed @ a minimal cost. He'd be an expiring plus if all goes well we could look in to bringing him back as Fosters replacement when he retires this offseason.

If we could send them Stanko and get Kaman that is a no brainer on one hand.

However as I've been trying to say I have a deathly bad fear of disrupting our team chemistry. I know a lot of you don't like playing West or Tyler at the 5 spot but that is really only one of the ways to keep both of them getting similar min.

The moment you bring in a real backup center who is going to want 20 or so min. a game you are going to change the entire dynamic of the team. Now either Tyler will get far less time or David West will have a reduced role & in the long run one of them will be very unhappy.

Yes, I totally agree if Roy rolls an ankle we are screwed but as the team is built right now we have guys who are willing to take time off (Foster) play only when needed (Lou) and be a practice guy (Pendegraph). I'm not sure that Kaman would fit any of those and he is not that far removed from being a very good starting center in the NBA.

I think if they could pull of a Barac trade for him they would have to though, that is just to good to pass up.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need to keep our draft picks to use to address that position (backup C) based on our current depth and Roy's pending RFA status. (We need someone cheap.)

Let Kaman get bought out and offer him the minimum.
    Their not going to buy his contract!!!He is a very good Center in this league. He has to much value at the trade deadline! We should be the front runner for him by just salary and playoffs contention. The only reason Pacers would not go after him is if there is other trades Larry wants. Kaman is exactly the type of deal Larry has stressed his point on by having cap space!
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 01-27-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    If we could send them Stanko and get Kaman that is a no brainer on one hand.

However as I've been trying to say I have a deathly bad fear of disrupting our team chemistry. I know a lot of you don't like playing West or Tyler at the 5 spot but that is really only one of the ways to keep both of them getting similar min.

The moment you bring in a real backup center who is going to want 20 or so min. a game you are going to change the entire dynamic of the team. Now either Tyler will get far less time or David West will have a reduced role & in the long run one of them will be very unhappy.

Yes, I totally agree if Roy rolls an ankle we are screwed but as the team is built right now we have guys who are willing to take time off (Foster) play only when needed (Lou) and be a practice guy (Pendegraph). I'm not sure that Kaman would fit any of those and he is not that far removed from being a very good starting center in the NBA.

I think if they could pull of a Barac trade for him they would have to though, that is just to good to pass up.
    You're that worried about Tyler Hansbrough (and it would be him who lost out) being upset? I'm not. Put his "I'm all about winning" attitude to the test if necessary; I think it's true and he'll suck it up, but if I'm wrong then he was a fraud anyway and we've outed him sooner rather than later (IE before we would offer him a new contract).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You're that worried about Tyler Hansbrough (and it would be him who lost out) being upset? I'm not. Put his "I'm all about winning" attitude to the test if necessary; I think it's true and he'll suck it up, but if I'm wrong then he was a fraud anyway and we've outed him sooner rather than later (IE before we would offer him a new contract).
    It only takes one bad apple to spoil a bunch. I'm not calling Tyler a bad apple but right now, unless all of this is a bunch of smoke and mirrors which I don't beleive it is, then our team's togetherness (for lack of a better term) is as high as any team we've ever had.

I'm not saying he will demand a trade or not play hard, but he won't be happy and he is not A.J. Price in terms of our teams identity. The phrase smashmouth basketball was pretty much coined with him as the the identity.

But I've already said for Barac or even a couple of 2nd round picks you almost can't pass it up. If nothing else if Roy goes down Kaman can start rigth now and the dropoff would still be there but not as bad as it would be if you had to rely on West starting or Lou starting.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

All-Star from Mostar StankoLover216's Avatar

MAKE TRADE AWAY STANKO BEING BAD DECISION! NO SENSE HAVE THINK TRADE OVER FUTURE VICTORY SUCCESS!
    Anadolu Efes: http://www.euroleague.net/competitio...m?clubcode=IST

Rudy Férnandez: “Será difícil para Pau defender a Barac”

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to StankoLover216 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    His salary is actually 14mil cause of a trade clause in his contract increased it. But Pacers can still take it on with no need to send out a player.

For a team to get him with no outgoing players they have to be approx. 14 mil under cap. No other team can do this that is playoff contention. But it wouldn't stop a team to make a trade for him.
    The Hornets are over the Salary Cap at $65 mil....the NOLA FO / Stern won't want to pay LT...so they will be looking to avoid taking back salary. I'd assume that if a Team over the SalaryCap could only take back Salary that is close to the $12.5 to $14 mil that Kaman is owed. I could be wrong...but this means that the Hornets would still be over the Cap even if they traded Kaman to a Team over the Cap.

As you suggest....the only way to get under the $60 mil Cap is to trade him to a Team that can absorb most of the salary...like the Pacers.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

With the way we're playing and winning right now, I think you tuck these data points in your pocket, look at the record come all-star break, and make your move. If we're closer to .500 at that point, you give it some thought.

If we're still .650+, my team is on the floor.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StankoLover216 View Post
    MAKE TRADE AWAY STANKO BEING BAD DECISION! NO SENSE HAVE THINK TRADE OVER FUTURE VICTORY SUCCESS!
    That's exactly what I was going to say.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    With the way we're playing and winning right now, I think you tuck these data points in your pocket, look at the record come all-star break, and make your move. If we're closer to .500 at that point, you give it some thought.

Adding a Player like Kaman to the mix at a cost that does not affect the "Starting 7" while replacing Amundson/Foster/Pendegraph in the lineup won't make the Team worst...if anything...it will improve it by leaps and bounds.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Well, if what Unclebuck says is correct, it might be the best move to wait. Why make a deal for a player now that you can get at half-price later? In addition, he'll be rested from not getting his usual minutes and maybe we'll even get a discount because he'll no longer be a major part of the rotation (and thus appear less valuable to the Hornets). Who knows, right?
    Yeah but the price the Pacers would have to pay now is not that high anyway, I think right now is like 8mil maybe less?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The Hornets are over the Salary Cap at $65 mil....the NOLA FO / Stern won't want to pay LT...so they will be looking to avoid taking back salary. I'd assume that if a Team over the SalaryCap could only take back Salary that is close to the $12.5 to $14 mil that Kaman is owed. I could be wrong...but this means that the Hornets would still be over the Cap even if they traded Kaman to a Team over the Cap.

As you suggest....the only way to get under the $60 mil Cap is to trade him to a Team that can absorb most of the salary...like the Pacers.
    Your right, but a third team can take on a high contract from a possible playoff team that is riding the cap and then be able to bring in Kaman. Hornets then could either bring in someone with a small contract or just draft pick(s). That type of trade could happen. Doubtful but not out of the realms of possibilities. I'm sure Kaman will be moved, unless one of there bigs get a major injury before a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post

I don't understand this. Why not aim even higher? It's not as if there's a big chance of this making us worse.

Wow, I'm surprised at the modest opinions of the value he could add to our team - especially come playoff time. I'm vnzla's co-pilot on this one.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

I don't understand this. Why not aim even higher? It's not as if there's a big chance of this making us worse.
    Exactly, I don't care if we were 17-0 right now, if you have a chance to send Kaman out on the court instead of Lou then you do it.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 01-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Mood

Heck, I'd offer a 2013 2nd and the GSW 2015 2nd if need be to get the deal done. If Kaman came here, he may be interested of signing a reasonable contract for a few years. Taking Jeff's spot. 28 minutes of Roy and 20 minutes of Kaman per game is to good to be true. I just hope Kaman doesn't get out of shape riding the pine and not getting many practices in.

Banned

I think some people are just happy to make it to the 1st round of the playoffs and make some noise, I get to read the same thing in almost every thread, I don't understand this thinking, if we could ad a piece or two that put us at least in the ECF why not do it?

I think I've been the biggest proponent of going after Kaman on this board, so YES go after Kaman. He's a big man who plays his game in the paint. He's hard to move on post D which is something we just don't have right now. If the price is right I'd like to see us go after him now. If not, I hope he's a target in the offseason. I don't know what his value will be next year but I expect his price to go down from where he is. We can afford Hibbert and Kaman on this team. Having Kaman gives us another quality big man that should make it easier to trade for a point guard next year.
    I think Kaman would justify more minutes then giving him what Lou gets though. Kaman could easily play some time at the 4 if we need. At the very least we should always have either Kaman or Hibbert on the floor at the 5.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think some people are just happy to make it to the 1st round of the playoffs and make some noise, I get to read the same thing in almost every thread, I don't understand this thinking, if we could ad a piece or two that put us at least in the ECF why not do it?
    I guess the question is what the cost would be to get Kaman.

salary dump Kaman? hell no

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wouldn't getting a legit backup C benefit us even more by allowing West more rest? I know there are many on this board that claim West needs better conditioning, but making him split minutes when Roy's out only reduces his rest time. You let West rest, you get more production and better longevity out of him....

Getting a solid backup C not only gives us another big in the event Roy goes down, but it saves our PF's from having to play as a small C....I say get him, and get him yesterday.....Make it happen....

When I read earlier Kaman might be available, I started doing some research on teams who could take on his salary. The Pacers can, but that's alot of cap to give out. Unfortunately, the Pacers don't have any 5-7 mil type contracts to trade plus cap. Basically, everyone is 3 mil or less other than West and Granger.

Since NOLA is NBA owned they aren't going to take back 14 mil in salary in a trade. Their options and teams who can do a trade are limited. The Pacers seem to be in the drivers seat. I'd rent Kaman for the rest of the season to guard against a Hibbert injury and Hibbert not being re-signed. At 30 yo, Kaman isn't going to get close to 14 mil for his next contract.

Banned

OK so I came up with this trade, let me know what you guys think

Pacers send Danny+DJ+Lou+Price to NO and they get EJ+Kaman+Jack,

Pacers starting unit: DC,EJ,PG,West,Roy

Bench unit: JJ,Hill,PG,Tyler,Kaman.

IDK about kaman. is he the guy that the pacers should spend all their cap space on? especially way before the trading deadline. there will be teams dumping/trading players at the trading deadline. with dwill and dhoward moving, there will be teams desperate to clear space. that should mean teams willing to trade a player and a pick for cap space. or teams closer to the luxury tax level [like ATL for example] might be interested in trading long term contracts for cap space. again player + pick or player + player gor cap space.

it just seems this is more of a panic move that really doesn't need to be made right now.