Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

Default Should we rent Chris Kaman?

He makes $14m, but it's an expiring contract. We have just enough cap room to acquire him without sending a player back. New Orleans' coach just said they're benching him (in what appears to be a tank-ish move, not because he suddenly sucks).

So... what do you think? Would you do it for any of the following: 1st pick, 2nd rounder, future 1st, future 2nd? Might they?

On the one hand it would be risky to give up another pick, but on the other we have more young talent than we now what to do with right now anyway, and more likely we'll be signing or trading for another vet the next time we add a piece as it is anyway.

So why not see if you can scoop up Kaman for the rest of the season? You don't lose any players, the backup C is now completely solid, and he'd probably make us better.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should we rent Chris Kaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He makes $14m, but it's an expiring contract. We have just enough cap room to acquire him without sending a player back. New Orleans' coach just said they're benching him (in what appears to be a tank-ish move, not because he suddenly sucks).

So... what do you think? Would you do it for any of the following: 1st pick, 2nd rounder, future 1st, future 2nd? Might they?

On the one hand it would be risky to give up another pick, but on the other we have more young talent than we now what to do with right now anyway, and more likely we'll be signing or trading for another vet the next time we add a piece as it is anyway.

So why not see if you can scoop up Kaman for the rest of the season? You don't lose any players, the backup C is now completely solid, and he'd probably make us better.
    I read this story online of them benching Kaman and thought the same thing. If nothing else he gives us yet another low post/rebounding option. His salary def scares me (even though he is an expiring contract, it stops us from being able to add other pieces until the summer). Definitely an interesting thought.

I would make a cheap offer near the trade deadline if no other good deals came up. He would help us, but we are not going to suffer without him unless Roy goes out with a season ending injury.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Hard to say. He was a legit center but has had some injuries, had to be good to get the contract he did, I am all for making a move as long as it doesnt mean we lose a significant player
    Sittin on top of the world!

Kaman would make us better. Anything to keep Amundson on the bench would help this team and I think it'd be wise to find a competent big who can spell Hibbert. But given that we'd be taking back $14M in salary and a rental, I'd only offer up a couple of 2nd round picks and a bench player like Lou or AJ.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

I think Simon is enjoying the payroll being down for a year. After spending so much money on actual piles of ****.

There are few players he would make a 14m exception for. A backup C isn't one.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tfarks For This Useful Post:

As with any trade, it all depends on what it would take to get him.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I read this story online of them benching Kaman and thought the same thing. If nothing else he gives us yet another low post/rebounding option. His salary def scares me (even though he is an expiring contract, it stops us from being able to add other pieces until the summer). Definitely an interesting thought.
    He IS the piece we would be adding until the summer...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

From a fan's perspective, it makes plenty of sense: If Amundson were a developing young guy, maybe you'd want him to get more minutes, but at this point in his career he is what he is - and what he is is worse than Chris Kaman by a lot.

However, is a backup big man worth 14 million dollars, even for a rental? I don't think so. Somebody still has to spend that money.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 01-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    I think Simon is enjoying the payroll being down for a year. After spending so much money on actual piles of ****.

There are few players he would make a 14m exception for. A backup C isn't one.
    He's paying at least some of that no matter what; there's a minimum cap that we are also below, that the difference will be spread to every player on the roster.

But you're right, it's probably not 14m, either.

However, this is a FAR cry from asking Herb to pay any tax, it's still WAY less than he's been paying, and it's not hard to explain to him that this makes us a better team RIGHT NOW. So I think he could be talked into it pretty easily. Kaman is a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    From a fan's perspective, it makes plenty of sense: If Amundson were a developing young guy, maybe you'd want him to get more minutes, but at this point in his career he is what he is - and what he is is worse than Chris Kaman by a lot.

However, is a backup big man for 14 million dollars, even for a rental? I don't think so. Somebody still has to spend that money.
    What do we care that he's overpaid? It's irrelevant.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Depends on other possible deals. If nothing else happens by trade deadline it be dumb not to get him for a 2nd rnd pick. Yes his salary is 14mil, but it would only cost the Pacers about 1/3, about 4.5mil. He'd be great to have for 25 games and playoffs!

Bucks could really use him with Bogut breaking his ankle, but I don't see a way for them to get him. All there players sux and got bad contracts.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

I'd offer a second round pick for him, but not much else. The Pacers need another perimeter scorer off the bench. Taking on Ray Allen's contract, if he's available, makes more sense.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I'd give them Stanko. I really don't think we are ever bringing him over.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

As far as whether the Simons would want to pay the $14m? It would be less than that. Even if they acquired him today we would only have to pay 60% of his salary $8.4m - there are only 49 games left. if they wait another 8 games they ony have to pay him $7m and so forth.

He would help us, assuming he's healthy, in good shape and wants to play

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

What do we care that he's overpaid? It's irrelevant.
    Hey now! You better be careful. Irrelevant is a loaded word around here.

I don't know that Kaman makes this team "enough better" to be worth having the franchise spend $14 million for him. When it comes to team finances, I'll be the first to admit that I know very little. But spending $14 million when you don't have to seems like a bad idea for a team that is often said to be struggling financially. I could be wrong about how this works though. After all, I'm a fan of Pacers basketball, not Pacers financial management.

It kind of becomes redundant when Foster is healthy, which will be probably half the year.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    As far as whether the Simons would want to pay the $14m? It would be less than that. Even if they acquired him today we would only have to pay 60% of his salary $8.4m - there are only 49 games left. if they wait another 8 games they ony have to pay him $7m and so forth.

He would help us, assuming he's healthy, in good shape and wants to play
    I assume, from a SalaryCap level...that he'd show up ast $12.5 mil...but from a payment POV.....the Simon's would pay on a "per game" basis based off of how many games are left on the season?

Wow....

Not bad as a rental option. I wouldn't send a 1st round pick...but a 2nd round pick if this were the case. Can other Teams do this?

or

Is this option only available to Teams under the SalaryCap?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    It kind of becomes redundant when Foster is healthy, which will be probably half the year.
    Sorry, I have to disagre....adding a Player like Kaman ( to play as a 7th to 9th rotational Player ) while having Foster in a reserve "break in case of emergency" role ( to play as the 10th to 11th rotational Player ) is what I think is the type of depth that I think we need to make a deep Playoff run.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

I've been beating the Kaman drum for a while now but I was told that "Larry was waiting for the right deal" it's nice to see that some people are finally coming to my side

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care what kind of production he comes to us with. He's obviously better than Foster not playing, Lou and Pendergraph combined.

Sure, I'll rent him. At least if it's for the rest of the season we aren't out too much. Throw in a first rounder. If we stay course we won't be anywhere near the lottery anyway.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I assume, from a SalaryCap level...that he'd show up ast $12.5 mil...but from a payment POV.....the Simon's would pay on a "per game" basis based off of how many games are left on the season?

Not bad as a rental option. I wouldn't send a 1st round pick...but a 2nd round pick if this were the case. Can other Teams do this?

or

Is this option only available to Teams under the SalaryCap?
    His salary is actually 14mil cause of a trade clause in his contract increased it. But Pacers can still take it on with no need to send out a player.

For a team to get him with no outgoing players they have to be approx. 14 mil under cap. No other team can do this that is playoff contention. But it wouldn't stop a team to make a trade for him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He IS the piece we would be adding until the summer...
    That was exactly my point. We need just as much help on the wing (another outside shooter) as we do another backup big.

However I didnt realize that we wouldnt have to pay his entire 14mil salary. I'm all for getting this guy (9pts, 6rebs, 7 footer) to back up Roy. I would be willing to part with any combination of Lou, a future pick and "cash considerations".

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I've been beating the Kaman drum for a while now but I was told that "Larry was waiting for the right deal" it's nice to see that some people are finally coming to my side
    Well, if what Unclebuck says is correct, it might be the best move to wait. Why make a deal for a player now that you can get at half-price later? In addition, he'll be rested from not getting his usual minutes and maybe we'll even get a discount because he'll no longer be a major part of the rotation (and thus appear less valuable to the Hornets). Who knows, right?

Mood

Chris Kaman is a very good center.He is a starter in this league. We would be fortunate tp have Hibbert / Kaman. Teams would not want to deal with 48 minutes of Hibbert / Kaman ... West / Hans.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post: