Thread: Wells article from today's star talking about Frank's one year as coach (with a mention of you know who)

Default Wells article from today's star talking about Frank's one year as coach (with a mention of you know who)

Without comment I am just going to highlight two quotes.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ergized-Pacers

Positive. Intense. Funny.

Ask any Indiana Pacers player who has been on the roster for the past two seasons and those are some of the adjectives used to describe coach Frank Vogel.

It was a year ago this week that the Pacers organization changed. Former coach Jim O'Brien, criticized for his know-it-all attitude and failure to relate to younger players, had worn out his welcome. Enter Vogel, first as interim head coach, then as O'Brien's permanent replacement.

Heading into tonight's home game against New Jersey, Vogel, 38, is 33-24 since taking over for O'Brien on Jan. 30, 2011.

"It was a change of pace, it was a breath of fresh air from what we were used to, getting beat down a lot," swingman Dahntay Jones said. "He's developed his own style and tried to give guys encouragement and helped guys overachieve."

Vogel, a longtime assistant to O'Brien, exuded confidence at his introductory news conference. He proclaimed the Pacers would make the playoffs despite having a 17-27 record at the time.

"I think everybody was surprised with some of the stuff he was saying," forward Danny Granger said laughing. "He was talking about playing smash-mouth (basketball) and we were going to shock everybody. It worked and look where it's gotten us."

As talented as he was breaking down video or coming up with offensive and defensive schemes, one of Vogel's biggest challenges was lifting the spirit of his players.

Roy Hibbert was on an emotional roller coaster because O'Brien had a tendency to publicly criticize the young center. Tyler Hansbrough didn't know what his role was because O'Brien didn't think he could grasp the passing-game offense.

By contrast, Vogel spent more time telling his players what they were doing right instead of what they did wrong during his first month as interim coach.

"I think a lot of the young guys struggled with (O'Brien's) level of intensity and didn't necessarily know how to adjust on a day-to-day basis to it," veteran Jeff Foster said. "I'm not saying Frank isn't intense, because he is intense, but he's intense in a different way.

"He gives the young guys the feeling of confidence and I think a lot of them were missing that feeling of confidence last year."

Vogel wasn't afraid to use any means necessary to get his players to buy into what he was saying.

His best motivational tactic came in the film room. Vogel, a self-proclaimed movie buff, showed his team clips from the "Rocky" movies after he was named interim coach. He told the Pacers they were Rocky Balboa, the underdog who wasn't supposed to have a chance against the heavily favored Apollo Creed.

The movies don't stop in the film room for Vogel. It's not uncommon for him to loosen everybody up every now and then by imitating Vince Vaughn's character, Jeremy Grey, from the movie "Wedding Crashers."

Vogel's first significant challenge came when the Pacers lost six straight games and dealt with locker room turmoil after a game in Houston in early March.

"The biggest thing with Frank that I like is that he doesn't think he knows it all," Pacers President Larry Bird said. "Not that I know it all, either, but he'll ask questions."

The Pacers overcame their chemistry problems and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. They were competitive in four of their five games against the top-seeded Chicago Bulls.

"He believes in you," Hibbert said about Vogel. "I'd run through a brick wall for that man. He has a lot of confidence in us, and we're able to bring that to the court (as) opposed to how we did it before."

Vogel also has upgraded the coaching staffing, hiring Brian Shaw and Jim Boylen while retaining longtime assistant Dan Burke.

The Pacers (13-6) have built on their playoff appearance from last season.

"Frank has helped us change the culture," Bird said. "He's brought a fresh attitude in and he went out and got a hell of a staff. They work very well together."

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Wells article from today's star talking about Frank's one year as coach (with a mention of you know who)

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "He believes in you," Hibbert said about Vogel. "I'd run through a brick wall for that man.

Wait, is he the Kool-Aid man?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells article from today's star talking about Frank's one year as coach (with a mention of you know who)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
    Wait, is he the Kool-Aid man?

Just because...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quite honestly, I'll be shocked if Frank doesn't win Coach of the Year. Can we maybe start a Twitter campaign for it? Create a hashtag or something?

Everyone in the organization seems to love Vogel, and Roy's quote is just great. If anyone is worried about Roy in the off-season, I think that right there says it all. He'd run through a brick wall for Frank; there's no way he's going to play somewhere else next year.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brooke needs to get an interview with Frank for that Vince Vaughn impression.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Quite honestly, I'll be shocked if Frank doesn't win Coach of the Year. Can we maybe start a Twitter campaign for it? Create a hashtag or something?

Everyone in the organization seems to love Vogel, and Roy's quote is just great. If anyone is worried about Roy in the off-season, I think that right there says it all. He'd run through a brick wall for Frank; there's no way he's going to play somewhere else next year.
    #VoteVogel ?
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

ďAnd as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.Ē
    - Peyton Manning

Man, the dude is made of Teflon and steel. I haven't seen a single piece of negative press about this guy at all... from any corner. He even took the Chicago "celebration" nonsense and made Chicago seem foolish.

I want some of what he's having.

Was it like this for Lawrence Frank when he started? I find it hard to believe it was.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Do people understand why I hated JOB so much. I don't care how nice the guy was with the staff or behind the scenes or whatever. As the Pacer HC, in that specific role, he was a horrible human being. Pointlessly berating players which I assume was from the flawed Larry Brown logic of "you must beat them down to make them respect you" school of thought.

He blatantly dismissed the good outputs of Roy, Josh and Price on very specific occasions; simply remembering off the top of my head. And he screwed with them on rotations constantly.

The game where I sat next to the bench Paul George came in for 1-2 plays and JOB called him over and ripped on him for doing something wrong, even though his horrible vet starters had already been out there getting their butts handed to them by the Magic.

Then when his stupid metrics logic was thrown back in his face by fans he got defensive on that too.

I do not know how JOB the nice guy and JOB the jerk HC coexisted, but I really don't understand why it didn't bother Larry way back when it was bothering the rest of us, because it should have. The fanbase should NOT know your situation better than you do, and in the case of JOB and youth development that was 100% the case.

The fans would have had Connor take over mid-year the prior season and had AJ, Paul, Tyler, Josh and Roy all playing big minutes while sitting Dun, Troy, Ford and Posey. These were the things be written on PD and being shouted at games, and I'm not even talking about me.

The guy killed our franchise for half a decade and hid behind the "the thugs killed it" cover. I call BS. They had the ability to recover from losing Ron and JO much sooner than they did, or at least to make some real progress developing the future core years before it really started (um, early 2011 basically).

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The movies don't stop in the film room for Vogel. It's not uncommon for him to loosen everybody up every now and then by imitating Vince Vaughn's character, Jeremy Grey, from the movie "Wedding Crashers."
    My goal tonight - mash up of Roy footage and Swingers bunny scene.

"He believes in you," Hibbert said about Vogel. "I'd run through a brick wall for that man. He has a lot of confidence in us, and we're able to bring that to the court (as) opposed to how we did it before."

"Frank has helped us change the culture," Bird said. "He's brought a fresh attitude in and he went out and got a hell of a staff. They work very well together."
    As far as I'm concerned, everything else out there about Vogel is fluff.

These two statements are the only things I need to know to stand behind this coach. Simply restated, his players, his managment (and Pacers fans everywhere) believe in him.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

When your offense directly counters your own defense you aren't a very good coach.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Roy would run through a brick wall for Vogel? Hell, I think Seth would run tricks on Patriot fans downtown for Vogel

Let's see if my shiny new signature works....
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Now this is the Coach Anniversary I want to here about! Nice Article!

I think I'd at least run into a brick wall for Frank.

I almost jumped off a building over the last coach...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I'm sure several players would've enjoyed pushing O'Brien INTO a brick wall...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Hibbert said about Vogel. "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    Motherf***er stole my line! I'm the one who told him that! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think I'd at least run into a brick wall for Frank.

I almost jumped off a building over the last coach...
    Just so you know for future reference, in case we ever acquire a similar coach to the unnamed one. If your decision is to jump off a building, as long as you take the coach similar to the unnamed one with you, I would be more than happy to cover your funeral costs.

Between Roy and Tyler, I would NOT want to be a brick wall in the 317 area code.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Perhaps the most important quality of a leader is being able to install confidence in those you are leading. Frank has obvoiously done that. I'll admit I thought last year (until the playoffs) that Frank's "act" wasn't going to wear well with the players. Sure his approach was a welcome change from O'Brien's, but could he really get the players to believe in themselves like Frank says he believes in them. Would his overly positive approach be sincere or would the p;layers see right through it.

What the players undoubtably found out is that Frank really believes in what he says that it isn't an "act" he does truly believe in the players - how do I know that he does. Because if he didn't if he was only "faking" it the players would see right through that and the players would lose respect for Vogel.

In addition to that, if the players don't respect the work ethic and the basketball knowledge of their coach, they won't believe in him and they won't follow him. During a game when things are going bad what the coach does, says, reacts is most important. The players have to believe in the coach's system and they have to believe in his ability to make the right decisions. Key point in that is if the adjustments the coach makes if they work a few times, if the players see hey if we do what the coach is preaching we win - that is IMO no small part as to why the Pacers are I think the best third quarter team in the NBA right now
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-01-2012 at 10:16 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: