Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension; Hill wanted 7.5m/yr

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension; Hill wanted 7.5m/yr

I dont get why everyone is surprised. This is what an Agent and a player are SUPPOSED to do. This is a negotiation, nothing more/nothing less. An NBA players second contract is the one that spans the PRIME of their career. If your Hill, why DON'T you shoot for a higher price? There are plenty of dumbass GM's that may have signed the extension without having any second thoughts. Our GM is not one of them, and he turned down the extension, leaving it to be revised in the off season when Hill becomes a RFA.

They are about $1.5M off, which is pocket change in the NBA (never thought I'd say 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS is pocket change). Depending on how he performs the rest of the season, and in the playoffs, I'm pretty confident we'll come to a conclusion of about $6.3-6.6M range. If not, then thanks for your services and the cap space, we'll find someone else to fill the 6th man role.

The bigger question is: What do we do if some team is dumb enough to offer Roy near MAX money?! 7 footers with serious skills and a great attitude/work ethic don't grow on trees. Do we match?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension; Hill wanted 7.5m/yr

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always kind of assumed he would be. I still think he's not 100% thrilled to be here.
    Yeah I do not think he really wants to be here. Him asking 7.5 million is pretty much saying I do not want to be here, but if you pay me this much I can be made happy.

Money cures a lot of ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

The bigger question is: What do we do if some team is dumb enough to offer Roy near MAX money?! 7 footers with serious skills and a great attitude/work ethic don't grow on trees. Do we match?
    Of course they match. As of today Hibbert is considered a top 5 center in the NBA. Pacers will happily match. THey will probably make him the designated 5 year player.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Yeah I do not think he really wants to be here.
    Curse you, Sports Zone, and your $900 field rental!
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Curse you, Sports Zone, and your $900 field rental!
    You kill me sometimes for a senile 85 year old fart.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy's agent is just doing his job to do what's best for Roy and the team understands.

It'll be best to get a deal done over the summer rather than during the season to avoid distraction and such.

So, it's incredibly likely Roy will be back here.

With Hill, I expect a contract to be negotiated fairly and he'll be back. With EJ in the picture and the possibility of just flat out signing him, that might be a different story.

I can't believe the Pacers would offer 6 mil per year to Hill in an extension.
    The most I could see him getting as an outside offer is an MLE contract and that's not a given. 7.5 mil per year for a backup combo guard is insane. If we just wait and match the highest offer he gets during the offseason Hill will wish 6 mil was on the table. It's not that I don't like the guy but I don't like him at anything over 5 mil.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Banned

People here know I love Hill and wanted him here all this time, I like the way he plays the game and plays D, but with all that said, I don't think I would pay that high price for him, at this point I wouldn't even be opposed to trade him to NO for JJ and his 2 years left at 5mil.

Default Re: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    Under that approach Hill should just ask for $14M/year and expect to end up at $10M/year. You don't just split the difference if you feel the other party is being unreasonable. You pay what the market dictates.

Hill at $7.5M is unreasonable. He should be paid what guys like Lowry, Dudley, Lou Williams, Korver, and Reddick got, which is between $5M-$6M.

No more than Jarrett Jack money. I'll say it again... the Jack deal should have been matched. Bird dropped the ball on that one.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

He just wanting to much...he is a bench guy, a role player.

I wouldn't pay him more then 5mil per.
    Give him 4 yr. - 20mil with a 4th year Team Option. He don't like, let him walk.

I bet Spurs wouldn't give him 5mil per, they'd laugh at 7.5mil.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I know a way to take care of this problem!
    Trade his azz along with Hans a 2013 1st and 2012 2nd and GSW 2015 2nd for Gordon and Kaman!

Hibbert / Kaman
    West / Foster / Lou
    Granger / Paul / Jones
    Gordon / Paul / Lance
    DC / Gordon / Price
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 01-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.

7.5mil/yr is starter money. Hill's a great player and I like him tons, but I don't see him ever being a regular starter on a contender.

I'm glad the Pacers were 1.5mil apart from that, and I wouldn't be upset if the sides were 2mil apart. I don't think Hill will get that kinda cash from anybody next summer, but he might get the 6mil from a team he'd rather play for. We'll see.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

$5M is what I was thinking for Hill. He's really just a 6th man. He can't get paid starter type money and come off the bench. Max I'd go is $6M.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Considering J. Crawford was close to signing with the Pacers for around 6 million then yeah George Hill has got to realize in the new NBA starter money is not going to be handed over to bench players.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I wonder if Larry Bird approached Hill during the shoot arounds and said "show me your worth 7.5 young buck"

Love Hill, but if the Pacers were offering 6 million at this point I think it was specifically to throw him a bone as the hometown hero. He may earn that money by the end of the season though. That would be awesome!

It explains somewhat why Hills' last two games were subpar, he had to come down from the Pacers saying we like you but not THAT much.

In the end we can all blame Hill for wanting that kind of money, we can hold out hope we get him wihtin our range at season end, and if not he was a damn expensive rental and the Spurs FO (who KNEW they could not hold on to Hill) made out like thieves.

Now all we need is someone to throw the max at Roy and we have to look for replacements for both.

Sure hope (wholeheartedly) I won't be able to say "told ya so" next season.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Also, you mean George Hill started his bargaining out on the high end of his salary spectrum? I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!

P.S.

All the posts about this being more proof he doesn't like it here are ridiculous.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also, you mean George Hill started his bargaining out on the high end of his salary spectrum? I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!

P.S.

All the posts about this being more proof he doesn't like it here are ridiculous.
    NO SIR! You are the ridiculous one.

Look its pretty simple. If you are a bench player of his calibur, you dont turn down a $24 + Million contract (I am assuming its a 4 year deal), 17 games into the season on your new team. A guy who is one injury away from ruining any future value in a contract year. You just don't do that unless the Pacers only offered him a 2 year deal...

With the way some of these players are turning down their extensions or only signing the QA...Its a miracle we were able to extend Danny Granger at his rate.

Guys like George Hill who are really productive role players, usually have one goal in mind, and that is to stay in the league for a very long time, and that means signing multi-year deals.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 01-27-2012 at 04:39 PM.

The only way George and the Pacers were going to get an extension done, was if one of them accepted the first offer from the other one, seeing as that happens in business (and being in real estate I have just a little experience with negotiations and contracts) approximately...um, maybe 1 out of 100 times and that's only if it's a no brainer for both sides, I'm not at all shocked they weren't able to nail down a number that worked for both while there's this little thing called a season going on.

Maybe George will be a Pacers, maybe he won't, but if he isn't he won't have anything to do with him not liking Indianapolis or us not getting a deal done by this extension deadline.

It's easy to get a guy like Westbrook or Love's extension done...

Russell Westbrook's agent "We want a lot of money."

The Thunder, "Ok, here's a lot of money."

Agent, "Deal."

But with a guy like Hill there is a lot more negotiating that will have to take place, and I'm sure Bird is doing other things than negotiating Hill's contract, which is probably true for Hill's agent as well and Hill himself. So unless, the first offer was accepted by both sides (which I knew wasn't gonna happen) there was no way this was going to get done by the deadline.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The only way George and the Pacers were going to get an extension done, was if one of them excepted the first offer from the other one, seeing as that happens in business (and being in real estate I have just a little experience with negotiations and contracts) approximately...um, maybe 1 out of 100 times and that's only if it's a no brainer for both sides, I'm not at all shocked they weren't able to nail down a number that worked for both while there's this little thing called a season going on.

Maybe George will be a Pacers, maybe he won't, but if he isn't he won't have anything to do with him not liking Indianapolis or us not getting a deal done by this extension deadline.

It's easy to get a guy like Westbrook or Love's extension done...

Russell Westbrook's agent "We want a lot of money."

The Thunder, "Ok, here's a lot of money."

Agent, "Deal."

But with a guy like Hill there is a lot more negotiating that will have to take place, and I'm sure Bird is doing other things than negotiating Hill's contract, which is probably true for Hill's agent as well and Hill himself. So unless, the first offer was accepted by both sides (which I knew wasn't gonna happen) there was no way this was going to get done by the deadline.
    So I take it you dont' think 6 million a year is alot of money for Geroge Hill?
    Cause that seems like a no brainer extension.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    It explains somewhat why Hills' last two games were subpar, he had to come down from the Pacers saying we like you but not THAT much.

In the end we can all blame Hill for wanting that kind of money, we can hold out hope we get him wihtin our range at season end, and if not he was a damn expensive rental and the Spurs FO (who KNEW they could not hold on to Hill) made out like thieves.

Now all we need is someone to throw the max at Roy and we have to look for replacements for both.

Sure hope (wholeheartedly) I won't be able to say "told ya so" next season.
    We're going to match Roy's offer.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    So I take it you dont' think 6 million a year is alot of money for Geroge Hill?
    Cause that seems like a no brainer extension.
    He obviously thinks he is worth more or at least that. This is negotiating 101.

Wow. I was expecting more like 5 million/year. This is first extension and he is mainly a bench player, what makes him think that he is worth more than Jamal Crawford?

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Jarrett Jack 2.0.

"I love playing for the Pacers. I want to come back." (But at the right price...)
    Jarrett Jack didn't ask for 7.5 million dollars. Toronto just priced him just out of our reach. If we would have had cap space we would not have lost JJ.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post: