Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension; Hill wanted 7.5m/yr

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension; Hill wanted 7.5m/yr

If the contract was "reasonable" by NBA standards, I might agree to extend Roy NOW. Big men of his calibur are so rare and he has improved every year. My fear is the market will dictate we "over pay" him

Plus some teams will throw a above average offer on the table just to make us pay more

Hill on the other hand, I agree with waiting, although I think we under esamate him here a little. Guy has a wining pedigree, playing under arguably the best coach in the game (Pop) is only 25 or something.

I could see him geting 4 years for 28M or so
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Wells: Roy/Falk told Pacers he didn't want to sign extension; Hill wanted 7.5m/yr

The thing is, he's probably going to get this from some team in the offseason and we'll have no choice but to not match the offer. I don't know if the FO thought about this aspect of picking up Hill when making the trade.

I know I was against the trade, not for this reason, but because I've just never been a big fan of Hill. We lost both of our picks last year, which we could have used on a variety of guys that could have contributed right away. Guys like Marshon Brooks, Shumpert, and Reggie Jackson would have been good picks. Even Kawhi Leonard. I know hindsight is 50/50 here, but I would have rather rolled the dice on ANY draft pick than use a 1st and a 2nd on a sixth man. My view is that if you're going to trade picks, make sure you're getting back a legitimate starting quality player.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing is, he's probably going to get this from some team in the offseason and we'll have no choice but to not match the offer. I don't know if the FO thought about this aspect of picking up Hill when making the trade.
    I'm sure it never crossed their mind. They're thinking "Wait a minute, you mean we're eventually going to have to sign him again?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'll be very disappointed if we don't bring back Hill, it would have made that trade pointless. I would rather have whoever we would have drafted than just a one year rental.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope we resign him, but not at that price. It'll be really disappointing if he's just a one year rental though.

The Pacers will go on without him if necessary. He's not a make or break player for our future, but he could have been a part of it, it'll be HIS loss.

If he plays like he has in the last two games, we can find better, cheaper. So, far he's had some great moments, but just as many bad ones. He's showed up only about half the time.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's really frustrating Hill thinks he's worth that much.. I like him but you gotta say no way for 7.5 mil. Maybe 6.5 but no higher.. you can pack up and move your things again for anymore than that.

I don't even know where 6 mil is coming from. Can someone name a single team with the cap space to do it that would offer Hill more then MLE next summer. I can't think of one and there is never a reason to pay more then market value.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

6 million sounds about right, 7.5 doesn't.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

6mil is a gift by the Pacers. 5 Mil is a gift. He should be at 4mil like Sessions, Marrow, Gibson, Farmar. He is right in line with a bunch of 4 mil talent.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Once again I agree with Bird. 6 million is about right. My only issue is that he'll probably get the 7.5 or more in free agency.

Mood

He keeps playing like this much longer and he'll wish he could get 6.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I just hope that this doesn't turn out to be what happened with Jarrett Jack. We just let him walk when the Raptors front-loaded a contract offer. I know that back then, we didn't have the capspace to absorb it....but I really think that GH is the type of Player that we need on this Team as part of the future core.

The problem is that there is going to be a BUNCH of Teams that are going to have capspace and needs....I can easily see some Team offer him a huge@ss contract offer that is going to be frontloaded ...just like before with Jarrett Jack...and the Simon's will be forced to make a bad decision.

BTW...this also goes for Hibbert as well....Houston still wants a Center....and have the Capspace next season to get him. My guess is that they will offer him a near Max or Max level contract....like they did with Marc Gasol. Unlike the Simon's, Houston could care less about poaching RFAs from another Team. I think that the Pacers are going to retain Hibbert, but will be paying more than they want since the Market Price for a Player like Hibbert is going to be really high.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't have traded For Hill unless he had signed a deal up front. As for Eric Gordon, does he come with new knees?

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Jarrett Jack didn't ask for 7.5 million dollars. Toronto just priced him just out of our reach. If we would have had cap space we would not have lost JJ.
    I like the comparison. Both are bench-quality tweener guards and neither are worth overpaying.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    I like the comparison. Both are bench-quality tweener guards and neither are worth overpaying.

I agree, we were better off letting Jack walk and we'd be better off doing the same with Hill at that price. I do think that the last off season showed that things have changed. Too many teams were burning with bad mid tier contracts over the course of the last cba. I don't see any team offering Hill more then the MLE and I really don't know if that will happen. I'd put good money on the odds being against any team offering Hill 7.5 mil.
    If the best offer he gets is a partial MLE at 4 mil, then that's all we should match.

At $7.5M, I'd rather go after Mayo or someone else.

I'm beginning to think Hill is only worth around $5.5M max.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I said it when I heard he was just a one year contract, he's got an "under the table" deal to sign back with San Antonio. That's what my gut tells me. They both loved each other and I can see them saying, "Look, we have the opportunity to add Kawi but have to ship you out to make this team better. Go play in Indiana and next summer we will sign you back." Both parties then agreed. His heart is still in San Antonio. It's going to be a big dissapointment, but if it's not the Spurs, someone will overpay him and the Pacers won't match.
    Here we come lottery?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Maybe George will be a Pacers
    Is this a joke, a mistake, or are you suggesting this is the proper way to say it?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    I said it when I heard he was just a one year contract, he's got an "under the table" deal to sign back with San Antonio. That's what my gut tells me. They both loved each other and I can see them saying, "Look, we have the opportunity to add Kawi but have to ship you out to make this team better. Go play in Indiana and next summer we will sign you back." Both parties then agreed. His heart is still in San Antonio. It's going to be a big dissapointment, but if it's not the Spurs, someone will overpay him and the Pacers won't match.
    George is selling his home in San Antonio.

sanantonio.backpage.com/HomesForSaleBig Springs Subdivision | San Antonio Homes for Sale | Real Estate ...
    San Antonio Texas Real Estate for sale. ... This spectacular 5 BR home is being sold by George Hill. ... San Antonio, TX Homes For Sale | San Antonio, ...

mytexashomeresource.idxco.com/i/5531/...homes_for_sale_san_antonio_txBig Springs - San Antonio, TX Real Estate | Homes For Sale | MLS ...
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'll be very disappointed if we don't bring back Hill, it would have made that trade pointless. I would rather have whoever we would have drafted than just a one year rental.
    Not totally pointless.

We don't have our excellent record right now without George Hill.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    That's really frustrating Hill thinks he's worth that much.. I like him but you gotta say no way for 7.5 mil. Maybe 6.5 but no higher.. you can pack up and move your things again for anymore than that.
    If a guy is a gamer at crunch time—which Hill is—than you've got to think that mindset is likely to spill over to negotiations. He's confident in himself and he's willing to take it down to the wire. Kudos for him.

Now, he's going up against Larry Bird. So good luck.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hill sees himself as a starter IMO, that's why he's asking for 7.5 mil.... so from a starters stand point I understand. So if Collison is traded and Hill is starting then yes I can see the 7.5 price tag.

I'm NOT saying trade Collison and sign Hill..... just speculating.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Jarrett Jack didn't ask for 7.5 million dollars. Toronto just priced him just out of our reach. If we would have had cap space we would not have lost JJ.

Bird spent 12 mil on Foster, Watson, and Dahntay, so he had the money to re-sign Jack. The money was there, Bird just chose to go a different direction. A poor decision as far as I'm concerned. Watson was nothing more than a stop gap b/u PG for 2 years. He didn't bring the fire, passion, leadership, nor strength at PG Jack did. Jack wasn't perfect, but he fits into smashmouth BB far better than Collision or Price does. His salary for what he produces is a steal. How many starting PG's, not on a rookie contract, is producing the #'s Jack is at 5 mil?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

He keeps playing like this much longer and he'll wish he could get 6.
    He'll be hoping for Jarrett Jack money.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I just hope that this doesn't turn out to be what happened with Jarrett Jack. We just let him walk when the Raptors front-loaded a contract offer. I know that back then, we didn't have the capspace to absorb it....

Where did they get the money to give contracts to Watson, Dahntay, and Foster then?