Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Bulls on Parade

Default Odd Thoughts: Bulls on Parade

So before we get the ball rolling I have to take time to acknowledge Nick Friedell of ESPNchicago.com for using the greatest nickname of all time of White Mamba for Brian Scalabrine. Kudos to you sir!

Now letís talk about our Pacers.

We lose as a team we win as a team. Or to quote the great Frank Vogel ďWe are not afraid of the Chicago Bulls. They certainly have Derrick Rose but we believe that a TEAM with great depth can beat any one player, can beat any 'Big 3', and we are not gonna back down from that challenge in any wayÖWe can win the EastĒ.

Ok show of hands, how many of you at the half had already written this off as a loss? I will freely and shamefully admit right here and now that I was already lining up the excuses about why we lost the game and what steps we needed to take to correct the ship.

We of little faith.

This isnít your Indiana Pacers team of the last few years. Heck this isnít your Pacers team of the last decade. These guys are proving night in and night out that they are a team that is serious and has to be taken seriously. This isnít the same team the Bulls beat last year in the playoffs and it isnít even the same team they beat in pre-season.

Yes yes I know Luol Deng didnít play & Taj Gibson didnít play. Who cares? The M.V.P. played, their super high priced power forward played, their defensive ace center played and their off season starting shooting guard played. If they canít win with that then they have more problems than one loss to the Pacers.

Speaking of the Pacers victory let me describe to you what happened right after the game ended. As Danny Granger was walking off of the floor David Benner came up to him to get him to go see Mark Boyle to do the post game radio show. Danny turns around and is headed back to the table to talk with Austin & Mark when he seeís Derrick Rose staring at him. Danny then proceeded to blow kisses to Rose and then untied his shorts strings and proceeded to urinate on the Bulls logo at center court.

What, this didnít happen? It had to because this is what the M.V.P. had to say in his post game interview. ďI will never forget how they celebrated just from winning this game. I canít wait to play them againĒ.

Whatever you think you need to get motivated Derrick, donít stop believing. How about this, how about our guys remembered how your chuckleheaded center was whooping it up at the end of the last series. Or the celebrating you guys had after game 4 in Indianapolis last year. Believe me I was there, your team didnít just walk off the floor at the end of the game. There was plenty of celebrating going on at your side of the floor.

But like I said, whatever it takes to make you motivated. Like we are supposed to be scared that the M.V.P. will play like the M.V.P.?

Also while I know it is not your fault maybe our players were just tired of your obnoxious bandwagon chasing fans and decided to give them a little taste of their own medicine.

Enough talk of the Bulls letís dissect this beauty and tonight letís do it in the good the bad and the ugly style.

The Good:

Roy Hibbert: This is getting to be old news around here. Same old same old if you will. Dominates in the post, plays solid defense without fouling and is getting his share of rebounds. Ho Hum just another day at the office for the man in the middle. However I want to make sure that we donít just gloss over this because prior to tonightís game Noah was to Roy what Tyler is to Carlos Boozer. In other words he previously had owned him. Even in the pre-season Noah was just pushing Roy from stem to stern and totally would take him out of the games. However whatever has been going on with Roy for tonight anyway Noah meant nothing to him. He might as well have been White Mamba (God I love that nickname) trying to guard him as much success he had trying to stop Royís hook shot. BTW, when did he become Kareem type good with that shot? Anyway Roy made it so Noah could not leave him, he could not free lance and double away from him and he made Noah work all night long.

Itís too early in the season to make any kind of proclamations but at what point in time is it going to be ok to ask if Roy Hibbert is the second best center in the NBA? Now donít get me wrong Iím not saying it, but if he continues at this level of play up to and after the all star break? How can it not be a question? Also if anybody not named Roy Hibbert is the backup center in the east for all-star game then the fix is on.

Danny Granger: I knew it, before I ever turned on the Digest I knew the words I was going to read about Danny would be that Ronnie Brewer scored at will and that Deng wasnít there and that his defense is poor and he is an average shooter at best and inconsistent no matter what.

Instead of talking about how Danny was not only our leading scorer hitting over 50% from the field while going 75% from behind the three point arc that he was also our leading rebounder and had a huge steal at the end of the game to put a final end on tonightís festivities. No itís a lot easier just to continue hating on Granger because he doesnít fit into certain peopleís definition of what a star player is. Well guess what guys; our team is not built around star players. Itís built around team and Danny Granger needs to be given all of the praise in the world for doing everything in his power to adapt and become part of that. He has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is all about winning and not about his own stats. He also proved that when he needs to step up, he will. Oh and btw did I mention to anyone here that he outscored Monta Ellis in the Golden state game?

Chicago is a great defensive team. In fact I am very close to saying that Thibodeau is the best coach in the NBA not named Vogel. So you know that they had two things in mind to start the game. Stop Roy in the post and stop Granger, the Bulls failed to do either and if we are going to give Roy credit for overcoming the Bulls defense than Danny should also have praised heaped upon him for not only not being stopped by the Bulls but for only scoring 2 less points on 3 less shots than the reigning M.V.P.

Paul George: Nights like tonight are the reasons nights like last night drive me up the wall. It is all there. He is the total package. I told everyone at the party last weekend that he was the most disappointing player for me so far but not because heís played bad but I just honestly believe he could be so much more. If I could take one trait from Danny and give it to Paul it would be the fire for the game that Danny has. Reggie had it and Danny has it to. They get mad and they play at so much of a higher level and are pure killers. But here is the thing neither probably had the talent and physical tools that Paul has. Oh well why lament, letís just enjoy tonightís outburst (if you can call 13 points an outburst). Obviously someone has sent him the message that if you are going down the lane you dunk the basketball if you can. Itís not showing off (although if you put enough pepper on it you can) it is just taking the highest percentage shot you can. He had some very solid defense in the second half to go along with his offensive production and I loved watching Rip run him from side to side and pick to pick during the game. This will only make Paul better and maybe it will teach him how to move without the ball.

David West: He awoke from his one game slumber with a vengeance. What was better the power dunk right on Noahís head or the oleí defense that Carlos Boozer played to let David ďSkip to my LouĒ West blast by him like a rocket? If Rose wants to be mad about something he might want to go look at tape of Carlos Boozer playing defense on that exchange. Anyway once again he is proving that veteran leadership has almost no price tag you can put on it. He once again just made the big plays when it counted and that block in the 4th quarter to save the reverse layup was just as spectacular as the dunk was. Roy was huge, Danny was great but we donít win this game without David West. You want to bet how valuable this guy will be come playoff time? Young legs are great, talent wins for sure but sometimes it is the old solid vet who knows exactly what play to make.

Tyler Hansbrough: Finally. I wondered prior to the game if maybe seeing Boozer (notice a pattern here) on the other side of the court would be the elixir that would sooth whatever wounds he was having. Still not the greatest of offensive productions from him, however we have got to start getting Tyler some post up looks. Too often we are getting him the ball at the elbow or top of the key and he really needs to work in the post a few more times to get the kinks out. But while he didnít have an offensive explosion he did help on the boards (BTW we beat the NBAís leading rebounding team 44-41) and played good solid defense. If we can get him trending back upwards that will go very far in helping the overall team production.

Darren Collison: There were a couple of times where I had to check to make sure his jersey didnít have the number 4 on it as he seemed to like to dribble a lot tonight. But the defense he played in the second half and the free throws he made helped me look past this for tonight. Also he had as many assists all by himself than our entire team did last night. Great effort in a very tough environment.

Dahntay Jonesís pass: Ok his overall game was neither good nor bad; however once again I want to emphasize the guy has been under control now for the better part of three weeks. But he cut down the lane and everybody in the building and at home and on planet Mars knew that he was going up for a contested shot. But wait, he fooled everyone and made a picture perfect pass to a cutting Hansbrough who was fouled in the act of shooting. Jones doesnít get an assist for this play but it really was a very nice pass and helped stave off another Bulls run.

The Bad:

George Hill: Um, yea whatís up with this? Look Iíll give him tons of slack here because for a good stretch there he was just absolutely killing it on the floor. But I think Iím ok in saying that both last night and tonight George had a couple of bad games. Heíll be back though. Sometimes itís just not your night and this wasnít his.

Lou Amundsonís offenses: Iím not throwing his entire game in here because I like his defense and rebounding for the most part. But letís all just say that Frank made the right call in limiting Lou to just 5 min. tonight.

The Ugly:

Join me brothers and sisters of the Pacers Empire, join me in joyous dancing and merriment.

Ok that is two statement games in a week. Iíll just sit back now and wait for the haters to tell me why this game shouldnít mean anything.

Go Pacers.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Bulls on Parade

Peck, I will never forget how you celebrated in this post. I can't wait until you write the next one...
    Last edited by BrownBearCoffee; 01-26-2012 at 01:33 AM.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Peck, do like I'm doing, put the haters on ignore.

Oh shoot you can't do that can you, you're a mod. (giggle, giggle, snort)

For me, this is the best Pacer game so far based on its impact. Just gotta add some things:

First of all, this win is one of the many clutch games we have won. Remember in the past years where we rarely win close games especially against good teams? Well we have won so many this season and the fact that we won a close, come-from-behind game against the Bulls makes it sweeter.

Second, we have yet to lose 2 or more straight games, despite the early back-to-backs. Just shows that this team has become mentally tough and resilient that they know how to bounce back from a loss. The only thing this team needs to learn is to prolong win streaks.

Third, the Pacers have drawn "first blood" against the Bulls at their homecourt, and this is the first Bulls' homecourt loss. This is a statement game, and hopefully the Pacers gain more recognition after this.

Fourth, our starters have been solid all-around, with all of them scoring in double digits once again. The bench have also made great contributions especially on the late stages where Danny and Roy are on the bench while keeping it close against the Bulls.

And lastly, for the longest time, I've never seen a fanbase that's just madly hate the Pacers like the bulls fans. This just makes this win feels much better over any other.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Is there going to be a recap of the Digest party? I'd love to see one.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me, this is the best Pacer game so far based on its impact. Just gotta add some things:

First of all, this win is one of the many clutch games we have won. Remember in the past years where we rarely win close games especially against good teams? Well we have won so many this season and the fact that we won a close, come-from-behind game against the Bulls makes it sweeter.

Second, we have yet to lose 2 or more straight games, despite the early back-to-backs. Just shows that this team has become mentally tough and resilient that they know how to bounce back from a loss. The only thing this team needs to learn is to prolong win streaks.

Third, the Pacers have drawn "first blood" against the Bulls at their homecourt, and this is the first Bulls' homecourt loss. This is a statement game, and hopefully the Pacers gain more recognition after this.

Fourth, our starters have been solid all-around, with all of them scoring in double digits once again. The bench have also made great contributions especially on the late stages where Danny and Roy are on the bench while keeping it close against the Bulls.

And lastly, for the longest time, I've never seen a fanbase that's just madly hate the Pacers like the bulls fans. This just makes this win feels much better over any other.
    This is huge. The addition of the veterans from winning teams I think has a lot to do with this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Great win by the Pacers, maybe from now on when our highlights are being shown we won't have to hear about how the opposing team dropped the game but instead how the Pacers went out and won it. For Derrick Rose let him remember how we celebrated after tonight's win, it will make all the subsequent celebrations by the Pacers that much sweeter.

Getting some respect from ESPNchicago.com Yes they say we are from nowheresville but those of us from Indiana are used to that type of talk.

But they do go on to give our team credit and it's nice to know that good old Noah is still pretty much an @ss, wouldn't want him to spoil my thoughts of him.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...-central-gimme

CHICAGO -- Score one for the little guys. Well, the pretty big little guys anyway.

The Indiana Pacers, the upstart contender from Nowheresville, didn't quite avenge their playoff defeat to the big, bad Chicago Bulls, but a 95-90 win at the United Center definitely put a little spring in their step.

Don't sleep on the guys from Naptown. They have more than enough size and an improved scoring punch since last season.

Indiana gave the Bulls their first home loss of the season, and first drew blood in a battle between the only two teams in the Central Division that can run and chew gum at the same time.

Sure, it's just the Bulls' fourth loss, but the way coach Tom Thibodeau looked after the game, you'd think Tyler Hansbrough smashed his favorite projector.

Now, no one expects Chicago (16-4) to finish second in the Central, but it's clear Indiana, now 12-5, is for real. The Pacers returned much of their team from last year, are extremely deep up front and now have two go-to scorers in David West and Danny Granger.

Also, they're pretty physical, right?

"They try to play physical," Derrick Rose said. "But I don't know."

Danny Granger scored 22 points to lead the Pacers past the Bulls on Wednesday night.I'm not sure if Rose was just being over-analytical with the definition of physicality, or if he was purposefully withholding praise. He sure was direct when he told some reporters he wouldn't soon forget watching Indiana celebrate a January victory on his floor.

"I can't wait to play them again," said Rose, who scored a game-high 24 points, but passed up a tying shot late in the game to kick it to Brian Scalabrine in the corner for a missed three.

That's how it should be. This is turning into a real rivalry. Where's Reggie Miller and Sam Perkins?

Before the game, Granger told me he had nothing but praise for his rivals.

"I think the Bulls are the best team, right now, in the league, and I would put Oklahoma City right behind them," he said. "They are in our division and the good thing about it is the more times we play them, you want to play the best teams. It makes your team better."

When I asked Noah if this game reminded him of their first-round series last year, he sniffed, "This is a regular season game."

That can be translated into: "Try us again in April, when it matters."

The Bulls probably won't have to deal with Indiana in the first round again. Last year's five-game series win wasn't easy at all. The Pacers brought similar energy in this game, out-rebounding the Bulls 44-41 in a battle of two top rebounding teams.

Chicago was playing short-handed, as it has been pretty much all season, but this one was against good competition. (Nothing against New Jersey, which could be one of the better teams in the Big East.). You can see how the absence of Luol Deng and Taj Gibson affected what is supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league.

"You try to drive the lane, they got three people coming," Granger said before the game. "You try to kick it out and they've got people contesting."

But with the Bulls missing two key defensive players, Indiana scored 50 points in the paint, led by Roy Hibbert, who scored 20 points on 9-for-14 shooting and added eight rebounds and four blocks. Granger scored 22 points, hitting 3 of 4 3-pointers, and added nine rebounds. West added 14 points and Hansbrough scored 10 off the bench.

Thibodeau was steaming after the game, upset at his team's laissez-faire attitude during the morning shoot-around. Thibodeau even gave us one of his favorite sayings: "In this league, you get what you deserve."

While Thibodeau is already ready to rip the defense, he seemed more upset about the team's offensive failings. Rip Hamilton went 6-for-20 and C.J. Watson missed all six of his shots. Ronnie Brewer, the only player Thibodeau thought was ready to play, scored 14 of his 20 in the second quarter. Carlos Boozer went 5-for-14 for 11 points.

"I didn't think we were as aggressive as we needed to be," Thibodeau said.

Indiana came into the game with the best field-goal percentage defense in the league, so that might've had something to do with it, but as Noah said, "It's not about them. It's about us."

A little arrogant, perhaps, but probably true. Still, I wouldn't undersell Indiana.

The reasons for the Bulls' loss, which is getting dissected with extra care because of the team's early success, weren't difficult for Thibodeau to understand.

"It's pretty simple," he said. "We do the same things. It starts in practice and at shoot-around. Come in, be serious and get ready. When the ball goes up, you've got to know what you're doing."

Thibodeau reads the clips every day, and I'm guessing he believes his players do too. Though they're reading different messages. Basically, the coach thinks his players think they're too good.

Thibodeau said, "It starts with me. I've got to get them ready to play." That might sound like he's trying to absorb some of the blame, but it's really a dog-whistle reminder to his players that's he's ready to crack the whip.

"Getting ready to play is a big part of this league," Thibodeau said. "You've got to be ready to play every night. I think as soon as you start feeling good about yourself, you're going to get knocked on your ***. That's the way it is." vAs Noah said, this was just a regular season game, nothing more. But it served as a valuable early-season reminder: The Bulls haven't won anything yet.

Jon Greenberg is a columnist for ESPNChicago.com

I'm glad Derrick is motivated, it will **** him off even more when beat them again.

This is just another for all those non-believers, who talk crap about us, disrespect us, WE ARE A GOOD BASKETBALL TEAM!! Bring on anybody, CAN'T WAIT!

I just want to say, if Hihhert keeps up his play all season the question won't be, "is he the second best C" but instead, "is he the best center?" I don't know if the answer is yes, but he would defiantly be in the race.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I just want to say, if Hihhert keeps up his play all season the question won't be, "is he the second best C" but instead, "is he the best center?" I don't know if the answer is yes, but he would defiantly be in the race.
    Whoa whoa whoa... slow down there. I love Roy, i think he can make a serious case for second best center. But unless something big happens, Dwight Howard has best C wrapped up for awhile.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa... slow down there. I love Roy, i think he can make a serious case for second best center. But unless something big happens, Dwight Howard has best C wrapped up for awhile.
    So tell me, why do you hate Roy?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great Post! And a great win!

I particularly liked your segment on Granger. He really does play the game with a team mentality and he is exactly what we want from an "all star." We don't need and I don't want a typical egomaniac star... Great play from Danny tonight. This victory puts us on the map.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

Banned

Once Jeff gets back the bench is should start to become a real force. Lance and Jones both came out on the positive side of +/- with spending partial time with Lou and Hill without doing much still had a even plus-minus and Tyler was a +6 despite both being on the floor for all of Lou's -5 adventure.

After the starting 5 did work and cut the Bulls lead by 8, Hill and Tyler backed them up with a 11:05 run that saw us go from 2 down to 5 with D Jones getting in on it some in the 4th. The starting 5 plus a 13 second Hill sighting came back in and held serve playing even the final 6:08 and needing the last 3 points of the game to do so.

So other than Lou's run which we expect wild things to happen and Hill's bad -6 run with the starters minus PG the bench played great tonight when mixing in 2 or 3 of Lance, Jones Tyler and Hill with a couple of the starters.

Sports Logo

Great post except for the ugly part. There's no need to mock Noah like they mocked Hansbrough pre-game in some other forums.

As for the win. Simply amazing. Take that those who don't believe in this team

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Itís too early in the season to make any kind of proclamations but at what point in time is it going to be ok to ask if Roy Hibbert is the second best center in the NBA? Now donít get me wrong Iím not saying it, but if he continues at this level of play up to and after the all star break? How can it not be a question?
    Who is better than Roy and Dwight right now?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Bargnani could make a case as he is pivotal for his team. Other than that no one else.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Bynum is better than Roy right now for sure, Greg Monroe is also putting good numbers.

Note: just because I'm saying this doesn't mean I hate Roy

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Bynum is better than Roy right now for sure, Greg Monroe is also putting good numbers.
    If Roy continues to win his fights against Bynum then I don't think that Andrew will be considered the second best for a long time.

Monroe is amazing but playing in Detroit really hurts his chances.

You forgot Lance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

All this post needs is a little Rage Against the Machine in the background.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck;1357428[url
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7504862/indiana-pacers-show-chicago-bulls-winning-central-gimme[/url]

Indiana gave the Bulls their first home loss of the season, and first drew blood in a battle between the only two teams in the Central Division that can run and chew gum at the same time.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Getting some respect from ESPNchicago.com Yes they say we are from nowheresville but those of us from Indiana are used to that type of talk.

But they do go on to give our team credit and it's nice to know that good old Noah is still pretty much an @ss, wouldn't want him to spoil my thoughts of him.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...-central-gimme

CHICAGO -- Score one for the little guys. Well, the pretty big little guys anyway.

The Indiana Pacers, the upstart contender from Nowheresville, didn't quite avenge their playoff defeat to the big, bad Chicago Bulls, but a 95-90 win at the United Center definitely put a little spring in their step.

Don't sleep on the guys from Naptown. They have more than enough size and an improved scoring punch since last season.

Sure, it's just the Bulls' fourth loss, but the way coach Tom Thibodeau looked after the game, you'd think Tyler Hansbrough smashed his favorite projector.

Now, no one expects Chicago (16-4) to finish second in the Central, but it's clear Indiana, now 12-5, is for real. The Pacers returned much of their team from last year, are extremely deep up front and now have two go-to scorers in David West and Danny Granger.

Also, they're pretty physical, right?

"They try to play physical," Derrick Rose said. "But I don't know."

Danny Granger scored 22 points to lead the Pacers past the Bulls on Wednesday night.I'm not sure if Rose was just being over-analytical with the definition of physicality, or if he was purposefully withholding praise. He sure was direct when he told some reporters he wouldn't soon forget watching Indiana celebrate a January victory on his floor.

"I can't wait to play them again," said Rose, who scored a game-high 24 points, but passed up a tying shot late in the game to kick it to Brian Scalabrine in the corner for a missed three.

That's how it should be. This is turning into a real rivalry. Where's Reggie Miller and Sam Perkins?

Before the game, Granger told me he had nothing but praise for his rivals.

"I think the Bulls are the best team, right now, in the league, and I would put Oklahoma City right behind them," he said. "They are in our division and the good thing about it is the more times we play them, you want to play the best teams. It makes your team better."

When I asked Noah if this game reminded him of their first-round series last year, he sniffed, "This is a regular season game."

That can be translated into: "Try us again in April, when it matters."

The Bulls probably won't have to deal with Indiana in the first round again. Last year's five-game series win wasn't easy at all. The Pacers brought similar energy in this game, out-rebounding the Bulls 44-41 in a battle of two top rebounding teams.

Chicago was playing short-handed, as it has been pretty much all season, but this one was against good competition. (Nothing against New Jersey, which could be one of the better teams in the Big East.). You can see how the absence of Luol Deng and Taj Gibson affected what is supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league.

"You try to drive the lane, they got three people coming," Granger said before the game. "You try to kick it out and they've got people contesting."

But with the Bulls missing two key defensive players, Indiana scored 50 points in the paint, led by Roy Hibbert, who scored 20 points on 9-for-14 shooting and added eight rebounds and four blocks. Granger scored 22 points, hitting 3 of 4 3-pointers, and added nine rebounds. West added 14 points and Hansbrough scored 10 off the bench.

Thibodeau was steaming after the game, upset at his team's laissez-faire attitude during the morning shoot-around. Thibodeau even gave us one of his favorite sayings: "In this league, you get what you deserve."

While Thibodeau is already ready to rip the defense, he seemed more upset about the team's offensive failings. Rip Hamilton went 6-for-20 and C.J. Watson missed all six of his shots. Ronnie Brewer, the only player Thibodeau thought was ready to play, scored 14 of his 20 in the second quarter. Carlos Boozer went 5-for-14 for 11 points.

"I didn't think we were as aggressive as we needed to be," Thibodeau said.

Indiana came into the game with the best field-goal percentage defense in the league, so that might've had something to do with it, but as Noah said, "It's not about them. It's about us."

A little arrogant, perhaps, but probably true. Still, I wouldn't undersell Indiana.

The reasons for the Bulls' loss, which is getting dissected with extra care because of the team's early success, weren't difficult for Thibodeau to understand.

"It's pretty simple," he said. "We do the same things. It starts in practice and at shoot-around. Come in, be serious and get ready. When the ball goes up, you've got to know what you're doing."

Thibodeau reads the clips every day, and I'm guessing he believes his players do too. Though they're reading different messages. Basically, the coach thinks his players think they're too good.

Thibodeau said, "It starts with me. I've got to get them ready to play." That might sound like he's trying to absorb some of the blame, but it's really a dog-whistle reminder to his players that's he's ready to crack the whip.

"Getting ready to play is a big part of this league," Thibodeau said. "You've got to be ready to play every night. I think as soon as you start feeling good about yourself, you're going to get knocked on your ***. That's the way it is." vAs Noah said, this was just a regular season game, nothing more. But it served as a valuable early-season reminder: The Bulls haven't won anything yet.

Jon Greenberg is a columnist for ESPNChicago.com
    That is some great writing.

Sam Perkins?

Noah is still the jerk I don't like. Thibodeau is still the great coach I respect.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    Great Post! And a great win!

I particularly liked your segment on Granger. He really does play the game with a team mentality and he is exactly what we want from an "all star." We don't need and I don't want a typical egomaniac star... Great play from Danny tonight. This victory puts us on the map.
    Granger plays up to the level of the competition or the level of the event.

So, that can be frustrating. It lets us know he CAN be our leading rebounder most nights and CAN discipline his shot selections and CAN be a hustling, smart defender every night, but chooses not to.

Whether this means he has low standards or instead he has to pace himself from getting burned out or injured . . . answering that question is above my pay grade.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

33. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Great post except for the ugly part. There's no need to mock Noah like they mocked Hansbrough pre-game in some other forums.
    Mock mock mock mock mock.

He's ugly. This is Pacers Digest, dude. A "fan" forum.

And it has nothing to do with being a "native speaker."