Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockets Not Exercising Option on Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, and Terrence Williams

Default Rockets Not Exercising Option on Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, and Terrence Williams

Seeking relatively low-risk, high-reward gambles to infuse star power — or at least, solid contributor power — to his roster, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey wagered on a sizable chunk of the 2009 draft lottery.

The extent of his gamble, however, could end Wednesday, with the Rockets unlikely to pick up the fourth-year option on their four lottery picks in their third seasons.

Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Jordan Hill and Terrence Williams were among the top 11 picks of that draft and were acquired by the Rockets in the seasons that followed. Only Hill is in the Rockets’ rotation.

With Wednesday the deadline for the Rockets to pick up the contract options for the 2012-13 season, they will allow Williams, Thabeet and Flynn to become free agents next summer and are still weighing whether to keep Hill under contract for another season.

In the previous 12 seasons of the existing system for rookie contracts, the Rockets have picked up the fourth-season option on every first-round pick on their roster.

The Rockets also face a Wednesday deadline to agree to a contract extension for fourth-year guard Courtney Lee, but the sides are far apart. The Rockets are more likely to allow Lee to become a restricted free agent next summer.

Hill is by far the most likely to remain under contract for next season. He began the season as the Rockets’ starting center and has remained in the rotation despite some wildly inconsistent production. The eighth player selected in the 2009 draft, Hill was acquired from the Knicks in the Tracy McGrady deal. His contract would be worth $3.63 million next season.

“To this point, we haven’t heard whether they will pick up the option,” said Hill’s agent, Kevin Bradbury. “They wait until the very last day all the time on these things. I don’t see why a guy performing like Jordan has wouldn’t have his option picked up.”
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket...lottery-picks/
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Rockets Not Exercising Option on Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, and Terrence Williams

I would pick up Thabeet, Williams and Hill (if he is in fact also let go) in a heartbeat.

Theyre all great back up players
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Rockets Not Exercising Option on Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, and Terrence Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would pick up Thabeet, Williams and Hill (if he is in fact also let go) in a heartbeat.

So we will have new younger versions of aj price dj and amoundson or foster Sounds good

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3 8 thee great t h For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

Hasheem Thabeet might be a great backup in the D League, but NOT the NBA.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I might take a flyer on Flynn, rumor has it Bird was interested in him prioir to the draft
    Sittin on top of the world!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

TWill maybe - he's talented, but has major holes in his game. Plus he seems to have some attitude issues.

None of the others interest me much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

When's the last time a 6th overall pick (Flynn) or higher has had his option declined?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    When's the last time a 6th overall pick (Flynn) or higher has had his option declined?
    Not to mention a 2nd overall pick (Thabeet)...

Wasn't it last season Count 55 posted about only a handful up to that time hadn't had their option picked up? It seems like someone, Joe Alexander IIRC, didn't have his picked up last season.

Take your pick to take a flyer on:

Orton
    Flynn
    T'Will
    Thabeet

Is there truly one worth taking a flyer on?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Not to mention a 2nd overall pick (Thabeet)...
    Yeah, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Wasn't it last season Count 55 posted about only a handful up to that time hadn't had their option picked up? It seems like someone, Joe Alexander IIRC, didn't have his picked up last season.

Orton
    Flynn
    T'Will
    Thabeet

Seems like TWill might be. Cost would be minimal.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I thought Williams was too physically gifted not to make it. Guess I was wrong.

#Sethbait

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

Orton
    Flynn
    T'Will
    Thabeet

I know which one that Seth would take a flyer on.....

Hint - His last name doesn't rhyme with HOrton, Blynn or Shabeet.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

TWill maybe. Thabeet a very, very long maybe, and I suspect I'm just another sucker who is focusing on his frame and ignoring his awfulness. Flynn was a joke in the lottery to begin with.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have absolutely no interest in any of these turkies.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hill would be slightly better than Pendergraph. Of any of them I would take TWill's talent. But I do not want his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Seems like TWill might be. Cost would be minimal.

The Pacers have more SG's than they can give minutes to now. It's a waste of time for both Pacers and T'Will.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd go after Jordan Hill. He is an extremely athletic big. He would fill in some backup center minutes for us. I just don't know what the kid's personality is like. I think he is a player that would learn alot from a guy like David West. I would definitely take a flier on such an athletic big. I would be on the phone right now offering our second rounder and cap space for the guy. He would be easy to cut if he is a jerk.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has a greater collection of lottery busts from a single draft ever been assembled on one team? It's a shame they were never able to complete the team by picking up Earl Clark.

Anyway, I think Terrence Williams is the only one who isn't in the NBA next year. Flynn and Hill can make it as backups, and there's no way every GM in the league has given up on Thabeet. If DeSagana Diop can last a decade, there's no reason Thabeet can't, too.

On the other hand, Williams not only has sucked, he has a questionable to boot. I thought he had the physical gifts and point forward skills to be another Andre Iguodala, but I guess I thought wrong.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Would totally take a flyer on Jordan Hill if he could be had for reasonably cheap. He could be a viable backup Center/PF option, very athletic too. I love our front court, but it still lacks elite athleticism.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Always thought TWill would turn out to be a pretty good player. I'd still take a flyer on him. Isn't his major problem some early injuries?
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Mood

I would take a pass on them at this point. I think we are good and don't need the additional player on the roster right now if we can pick someone with a little higher quality with a deadline trade. I really liked Flynn at the time when he was drafted but I haven't seen or heard anything since then.

WARNING: Bad Puns Forthcoming

I'd like to see the Pacers' coaching staff pull a Gloria Estefan and turn Thabeet around.

What do the Rockets and DJs have in common? They drop Thabeet.

Also, something with the phrases "out like Flynn" and "I guess they're over the Hill".

Spoiler Spoiler:

31. The Following User Says Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

I would take Thabeet as a third string center. His length and height could help Hibbert to get even better on offense. I would be fine with Hill too, but I wouldn't take any of them expecting them to be rotational players. I would only take them to be the 3 players in suits who bring something to the practice court that might help the others to become better players. Although it would be nice to see Thabeet turn into a good back-up C if he became a Pacer.

I'd bring in Terrence Williams and have a look at him. Seems like he is unselfish, a decent passer, and has athleticism to boot. I don't watch many/any Rockets games, but he'd be worth a look.