Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Kravitz column about Manning

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Good Kravitz column about Manning

Kravitz sat down with Manning recently. Manning has always seemed to like Kravitz and is usually fairly candid with him. He sounds disappointed about the firings (not surprising) and says that he will sit down with Irsay and not Grigson when deciding his future (not surprising either). This is a pretty good piece.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...t|IndyStar.com

Sorry, Rob Lowe.

Peyton Manning is not retiring, at least not any time soon.

"I never thought 'Sodapop Curtis' would announce my retirement," Manning said, laughing, referring to Loweís character in the 1983 movie "The Outsiders." "I always thought I would be the one to announce it. I'm a huge fan of the movie, but that caught me way off guard. I can't explain it. I know he (Lowe) is a friend of Jim's (Irsay), and Jim sounded surprised."

So no, Manning isn't on the cusp of retirement. In a wide-ranging, exclusive interview with The Star on Monday night, the Colts' future Hall of Fame quarterback addressed a number of pressing topics, including his health, his sadness over the firings of several coaches, his minimal relationship with new general manager Ryan Grigson and the future.

For the record, Manning and Grigson finally met, briefly, last week when the two ran across each other in the facility.

"One thing he (Grigson) kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I'm going to sit down and talk with," Manning said. "That's going to happen at some point, but we haven't had that conversation yet because we really don't need to have that conversation yet."

Aside from Eli Manning's victory in the NFC title game in San Francisco, where Peyton was present to celebrate with his brother, this has been a rough week for Peyton --- and for a lot of the people who've made this one of the most successful organizations in sports over the years. Change is never easy.

"I'm not in a very good place for healing, let's say that," he said, referring to the practice facility. "It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change."

Manning didn't express anger about the firing of Jim Caldwell and so many assistant coaches as much as he expressed sadness, wistfulness even.

He was working out with strength and conditioning coach Jon Torine last week when word came down that Torine had been relieved of his duties. One day later, after Torine had cleaned out his office, he ran Manning one more time, for old time's sake.

"It was tough," Manning said. "Very emotional."

It's been difficult with all the coaches, many of whom have been with Manning since the beginning, or at least close to it. This franchise has been a model of stability and continuity; now it's all about change. When Manning hasn't been rehabilitating, he's been calling other franchises and offering recommendations on behalf of the departed coaches.

"One of the things about football is, it's a relationship business," Manning said. "Sometimes guys get fired, it goes across the ticker, 'Jim Caldwell got fired' and that's that. But when it's every day in a relationship business ... with Bill (Polian), with Marvin (Harrison), Edge (James), guys who retire, get cut, traded or fired, it's just really hard. I donít think I have an emotion for it.

"The new (management) team doesn't have a relationship with these guys like I do, and I know a lot of players feel that way about them (the departing coaches), too."

He continued:

"I mean, it's 20 degrees, it's snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices," he said. "I guess it's the reality of the football world, just not something I've had to deal with very often. But I'm in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it. Everybody's being evaluated and I'm no different. It's not the best environment.

"I just want to pay tribute to all those guys. It's unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so ... sudden. Their keys didn't work the next day. There's no other way to do it? I donít know. That's hard to see, all these people leaving.

"And I may be behind them. Who knows?"

The question was posed: Given all the changes, the fact the Colts appear to be in a rebuilding mode, does Manning even want to come back to Indianapolis?

"I don't want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it's well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career," Manning said. "It's been a privilege to play here. I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else. It's been fun to be a part of that.

"But I understand how it works. I understand tough decisions have to be made. There's personal and there's business and that's where weíve got to separate the two. I've seen other guys leave places and it was personal. I've invested too much into this city for that to happen. We live here, we've given lots of time and money to the community and our church, and that's never going to change Nothing changes that.

"Whatever happens, happens. I can't give you a prediction because Jim (Irsay) and I will sit down at some point and he'll get a feel for where I am and Iíll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea."

As for Manningís health, he's not all the way back yet, but he's not going to put any kinds of percentages on his recovery, nor will he predict whether he'll be at full strength by early March, when the $28 million option bonus is due. At this point, he just doesn't know.

"You've been around me: You know I don't like to say something like, 'Thereís no way I can play Sunday,' then come out and play Sunday and everybody in the media is writing 'I canít believe heís playing,'" Manning said. "I'm not into the drama. And I'm not into saying, 'Well, this is it, I sure have enjoyed it.' I'm not into saying goodbye. All I know is I'm still under contract to the Colts. I'm still the quarterback of the Colts That's why I'm in the building every day trying to get healthy."

Manning continues to work out daily and throw to his beloved and overworked equipment guys, but this past Sunday, he got out of the facility. After watching the first two Giants' playoff games from the workout room, Peyton decided to surprise Eli and show up Sunday in San Francisco.

I asked if he told Eli it was his job to protect his Lucas Oil Stadium turf from the hated Patriots.

He laughed.

"Well, I've already gone to work for him, getting all my teammates, trying to get their two-ticket allotments," Manning said. "That's what he did for me two years ago and I did that for him four years ago. And I'm helping any way I can, getting him restaurant reservations around town for him and his teammates. Jim (Irsay) called after the game and offered any kind of help he could give, which was generous.

ďAs far as helping him with the Patriots, really, he doesn't need to talk to me. He played them seven weeks ago. We'll talk about things they do when you face them a second time in the same year, but he knows them better than I do right now.

"It was fun Sunday, we talked about third and long situations, the defense San Francisco likes to play. Theyíve got (former Colts defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio, and we were saying, 'In this situation, they run this particular coverage, three rushing and eight in coverage, and there are only certain places you can throw it.' I didn't tell him to throw that post route on the touchdown, but that was the kind of defense he was seeing. So it's kind of fun to talk about that stuff.í"

Now, then, Manning will try to enjoy the Super Bowl madness, will continue to work out at the facility (until the team is kicked out to make way for the, gag, Patriots) and wait to see what unfolds in the front office. If and when the Colts are ready to talk --- likely in February --- Manning will be easy to find.

"I'm in the facility every day," he said. "I'm right there. They know where to find me."
    When it's time to make an announcement one way or the other, Manning hopes he can do it on his own terms.

"Hopefully, Sodapop Curtis doesn't tweet it before I can say anything," he said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Good Kravitz column about Manning

Good article, even though Peyton is a little upset and dissapointed that all of the people he had grown relationships with were fired, he still is working hard to try to get his health right for the March deadline and next season. He is a class act for not bashing the owner for all of the firings.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Peyton's a crazy smart strategic thinker. Shouldn't be surprising after seeing him play for 13 years.

He's is setting himself up to leave Indy. He wants to be elsewhere. He's trying to do it as gracefully as possible, but he's doing it.

I completely empathize with him and will root for him wherever he goes, but it's pretty sad to see it come to an end like this. Really, this should be good for both parties, the Colts because of Luck and Peyton because the rest of our team probably isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl right now. But seeing Peyton leave Indy with only 1 ring will always sting. Burn in hell, Hank Baskett.

I'm not sure he wants to leave.. As he said its well documented that he wants to play for one team his whole career... But i do think he is preparing like he will no longer be a Colt.. Which is indeed sad.. But a necessary evil.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton's a crazy smart strategic thinker. Shouldn't be surprising after seeing him play for 13 years.

He's is setting himself up to leave Indy. He wants to be elsewhere. He's trying to do it as gracefully as possible, but he's doing it.

I completely empathize with him and will root for him wherever he goes, but it's pretty sad to see it come to an end like this. Really, this should be good for both parties, the Colts because of Luck and Peyton because the rest of our team probably isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl right now. But seeing Peyton leave Indy with only 1 ring will always sting. Burn in hell, Hank Baskett.
    Did we just read the same article?
    Last edited by CreekShow; 01-24-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    I Bleed Blue

well Kravitz just had an interview on ESPN about peytons interview...... It seems like peyton is done as a Colt....... just a matter or him pllaying for another team or retiring.... It will be very very very very sad to see Peyton go after watching him starting when i was 6 and thoughtout the 12 years i greatly appreciate all that peyton has done for the colts,organization and this city... will be a very sad day when he leaves

I just hope we invite him back someday after he's retired to come back to Lucas Oil and get a HUGE ovation for all he's done.. He deserves at least that much.

Like when Reggie left.. It will be very emotional. It will be extremely hard if Peyton plays for another team before he retires, but I also don't want to see him retire earlier than he wants just because the Colts decide to move on. #18 will always be special to us!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Well, it WILL be a bummer if he goes, but it's purely a financial and business decision.

4 years of Peyton ?? 36 (soon to be 37) year old QB, 3 neck surgeries recently, a year removed from the game with a monster contract that will handcuff the team until it expires ??

Or a fresh, young, talented kid for the next 10+ years ??

I'll take option B.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Well, it WILL be a bummer if he goes, but it's purely a financial and business decision.

4 years of Peyton ?? 36 (soon to be 37) year old QB, 3 neck surgeries recently, a year removed from the game with a monster contract that will handcuff the team until it expires ??

Or a fresh, young, talented kid for the next 10+ years ??

I'll take option B.

He's 35, soon to be 36.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If asked today I'd say.........

I'll soon be 65....trade the 1st pick for everything you can get and build around a proven commodity even if it's only for 3-4 years. Win as many as possible before I'm too old to know what football is...who knows, I may not have time to wait on Luck to develop.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    If asked today I'd say.........

I'll soon be 65....trade the 1st pick for everything you can get and build around a proven commodity even if it's only for 3-4 years. Win as many as possible before I'm too old to know what football is...who knows, I may not have time to wait on Luck to develop.

Geezer,
    The problem is, how I see it, the lack of any guarantee that Peyton can return 100% from the neck surgery... or even anywhere near 100%.... if at all... Let alone play out his career without this rearing its head again.

I've yet to see a doctor who says that the symptoms can't return at any point. In fact, the symptoms returning at some point is a likely scenario. And that assumes they ever go away. And keep in mind the symptoms are manifesting as an inability to properly grip the football and lowered arm strength. Not good for a QB in his throwing arm.

And you're making this gamble that a re-occurrence that shortens Manning's competitive window won't happen (or happen anytime soon) with a player who will be 36 years old and is already close to that window closing thanks to father time.

Then factor in all the business and cap scenarios the team has to deal with. What a tough, gut wrenching position to be in. ...But when you separate emotion from it, barring a renegotiated contract, I don't see how the team has any choice at all. Manning health issues and his contract are simply a poison pill to huge to swallow. IMO...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, in my defense my comments were made predicated on the idea that PM would return as good as ever.

AND

I did say...."If asked today..." I tend to flip flop depending on how I'm feeling that day.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Well, in my defense my comments were made predicated on the idea that PM would return as good as ever.

AND

I did say...."If asked today..." I tend to flip flop depending on how I'm feeling that day.
    I'm right there with you... If I thought the odds were high Manning could return and play out his career normally I'd be hard pressed not to want to load up for the next 3-4 years.

And I would've still fired the Polians and much of the coaching staff because they should've already been in the mode of giving Peyton a team that didn't require him carrying it on his shoulders.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I would follow any team peyton goes to. I think he deserves to go down as the GOAT but unfortunately he's been set up for failure by this franchise the last few years.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I would follow any team peyton goes to. I think he deserves to go down as the GOAT but unfortunately he's been set up for failure by this franchise the last few years.
    I don't see that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post

Come on, two years ago we started out 14-0 and made the freaking Super Bowl.

Yeah you can legitimately question some roster moves in recent years, but saying he was "set up for failure"? That's a pretty big leap.

I mean the drafting. It's been awful. And lets not even start talking about the philosophy of building an undersized defense and never actively going after a defensive tackle that has been needed for years.

I'm not part of the board that absolutely despises the polians, but you can't look at the roster right now and say they've given Manning the best shot of winning.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Come on, two years ago we started out 14-0 and made the freaking Super Bowl.

Yeah you can legitimately question some roster moves in recent years, but saying he was "set up for failure"? That's a pretty big leap.

I think set up for failure is too strong now I think we underachieved as a whole with Manning as QB.

I mean really that same roster that went to the SB two years ago (well mostly the same) you take out Manning and go 2-14.

There's something wrong with that. A team should find a way to stay competitive even without their QB. We're lucky this wasn't exposed sooner makes me wonder if this team was really as good as they appeared to be or not.

You cannot have that type of dropoff in the NFL its really unacceptable.

Manning always seemed to like Kravitz? Really? I must've missed that part I was more shocked by him agreeing to an interview with Kravitz about said topic than anything he said in that article.

Now I personally think Manning is gone whether its retirement or to another team I don't know but I don't believe he'll come back as a Colt.

Also wouldn't surprise me if Irsay told Lowe to tweet that its like he wants to break up with Peyton but is too gutless to do it himself so he's hoping Manning requests a release so he won't look like the bad guy.

You can't have two QBs taking up that much cap space and field a competitive team.

It should never have come to this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really saddened, too. It was a hell of run, historic even, but it's clearly ending, and we'll be extremely fortunate to ever have one like it again, even with Luck in tow.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm really saddened, too. It was a hell of run, historic even, but it's clearly ending, and we'll be extremely fortunate to ever have one like it again, even with Luck in tow.

I agree. I think the Colts FO is about 90% sure right now that they have to release Manning. You can't gamble 28 million dollars on a Chance that at some point Manning will be like the old Manning. No way is he recovered by March 8 when it's decision time. It shouldn't have ended like this with all Manning has done for the league and the city. Here's hoping Manning comes all the way back and makes me eat all the words I just typed but I don't see it. It's been a great ride!

Extremely sad if he goes under any circumstances. If his health situation does not debilitate him too much football-wise, I would hope he goes to a contender and wins a few more SBs.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

The YA librarian in me is tickled at the Outsiders references.

Good interview, I'll be sad if Peyton is done.

Banned

Damn the Peyton Manning leaving thing just hit me this is sad

Nerd.
    Mood

If he leaves, I'll wear my Manning jersey in memoriam for a week.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post: