Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falk says Roy, Pacers have "had very friendly discussions," but don't expect a deal until summer

Mood

Default Falk says Roy, Pacers have "had very friendly discussions," but don't expect a deal until summer

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/1/2...ontract-status

This is from Tom Lewis / Indy Cornrows

Whether you like it or not, it appears Roy Hibbert won't agree to a contract extension with the Indiana Pacers by Wednesday's deadline the 2008 draft pick to sign an extension before becoming a restricted free agent this summer.

There is no harm in letting Hibbert become a restricted free agent since the Pacers can match any offer the market bears much like Denver did this past summer with Nene. But based on panicky emails I've received and comments on various threads over the past few weeks, fans are stressing Roy's contract more than Roy himself. As the big fella told Mike Wells last week, he's just letting the process play itself out.

"My personal gut feeling is that we'll do something in the summer, because the max guys are the ones that get extensions right away," Hibbert said. "I'm just going to follow my agent's lead."

Hibbert's agent David "The Bird of Prey" Falk, commented on Roy's contract status on Monday after Roy showed his value to the Pacers in their win over the Los Angeles Lakers.

"There's no rush," Falk said. "I think it's unlikely that we'll come to agreement this week. It doesn't mean in any way that he's not happy in Indiana. ... We've had very friendly discussions, and both sides recognize that the discussion is probably premature."

So while you shouldn't expect to hear about a contract extension by Wednesday, I would encourage those expecting the worst to consider Hibbert's situation with the Pacers both sides work toward an extension. Assuming Hibbert maintains the reliable role he's played thus far this season, making a hefty raise almost a given at this point, a deal will happen to keep Roy around.

I honestly would've shuddered at the thought of offering Hibbert more than $10 mil/yr prior to the season, but now something in the $12-$13 mil/yr range seems plausible. Even Hibbert admits he's not a max deal guy, so please don't get carried away. But he has shown how valuable a big guy with a reliable jump hook can be in the league and will likely get what he deserves.

Remember too, though that Hibbert also values what he has with the Pacers right now. Chasing the highest bidder doesn't make sense if the leadership situation is unknown. Hibbert knows this all too well after struggling physically and mentally to work under Jim O'Brien. So it appears that it is in the best interest of the Pacers and Hibbert to stick together as they both seem to have turned the corner to a more promising future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Falk says Roy, Pacers have "had very friendly discussions," but don't expect a deal until summer

I have to admit, I am torn when it comes to Roy's contract situation.

He is playing so well that he if he keeps it up he is going to earn a darn near max deal, or in that range at least.

It's an interesting situation. We want Roy to succeed, become an All-Star, win M.I.P. perhaps. At the same time, I hate to think of losing one or more of our young pieces because we can't afford to keep the team together.

What do you guys think? Will Roy take a reasonable contract in an effort to leave us with room to resign our other guys? Will his contract force us to have to not resign someone else?

I have no doubt Roy wants to remain a Pacer. But at what cost to the team? That's the real question here.

Default Re: Falk says Roy, Pacers have "had very friendly discussions," but don't expect a deal until summer

I dont mind dealing with this in the summer. It'll help us sign someone else
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to admit, I am torn when it comes to Roy's contract situation.

He is playing so well that he if he keeps it up he is going to earn a darn near max deal, or in that range at least.

It's an interesting situation. We want Roy to succeed, become an All-Star, win M.I.P. perhaps. At the same time, I hate to think of losing one or more of our young pieces because we can't afford to keep the team together.

What do you guys think? Will Roy take a reasonable contract in an effort to leave us with room to resign our other guys? Will his contract force us to have to not resign someone else?

I have no doubt Roy wants to remain a Pacer. But at what cost to the team? That's the real question here.
    I understand where you are, but I think his history makes this a case of it is more important to see him keep it up than to not pay him Max.

Whatever it takes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I won't worry until ESPN starts pushing there agenda with Roy. And at the rate he's playing, this could start in a matter of weeks. I can just see Chris Brousards stupid face on tv, talking about how his " sources" are telling him that Roy Hibbert wants to play with Deron Williams, or Kobe Bryant. This is what ESPN does. They use there shows to push propaganda in order to manipulate stars to the big market teams. They started on Dwight Howard like three years ago. They worked on Lebron for the longest time.

Start panicking if ESPN starts politicking.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

We have enough money to keep all of our core...we just can't get anybody else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

How anyone can think that 10 million would be to much, even when the season started is beyond me, sorry but can you point out how many 7.2 centers are running around in the NBA with his skillset?

Considering they clearly have not offered enough so far (the Pacers that is) I fear with great fear this could be Roy's last season for the Pacers.
    If he stays anywhere near his current output (and yes he can have some fallback and rise again) and someone forbid, he goes to the All-Star game, do you really think there wont be any teams out there throwing a max offer?

Yes i know we can offer more, please don't use that argument, because we all know outside of the year the difference is at best the raises so on avergae over 4 years about 800k per season.
    We could have easily offered the 5th year now, paid a little below the max and have it wrapped up.
    Fact we haven't yet means that I am not so sure they are going to match what is on offer at the end of the season, or worse, that such an offer would be accepted.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Roy Hibbert may not be quickly becoming a good center... But perhaps an every year All-Star.. I would say that he's having a better season than Al Horford had last year, and he's got sooo much time to get better.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not too worried, I still wished we would have signed him now and used this year's cap space to pay down on his contract. Could've easily saved 2-3 million a year for the next 4 years.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Fact we haven't yet means that I am not so sure they are going to match what is on offer at the end of the season, or worse, that such an offer would be accepted.
    We have a very astute front office. I believe the fact we haven't signed Roy to an extension is by design. If we sign Hilbert now, our cap space for next summer disappears all together, or there is very little left to sign a free agent next summer. However, if we sign a free agent first next summer, then we can still sign Hibbert and Hill to whatever next summer.

Without looking the figures up, say we are $13 million under the cap for next summer. Say Hibbert and Hill wind up costing us $15 million. If we sign them first, we are then $2m over the salary cap, and can't sign any big time free agents outright.

However, say next summer we first sign a free agent to all our salary cap of $13 million, since Hibbert and Hill are our players we can still sign them to the same $15 million they would get now.

By waiting we have money to sign free agents and keep our options open.

If it was some other player other than Hibbert, someone that wanted extended the second he could be extended or he would get really unhappy, then we could have a problem. As is I don't believe Hibbert is going anywhere.

Hibbert likes it here, and he can get paid the most money here, plus we are a young team on the rise with good chemistry. He also no doubt knows the Pacers take care of their players. Hibbert is a smart man, if the Pacers want him to wait, he will wait.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

I definitely love me some Roy but I would like to see him do what he's been doing a whole year before we start throwing the big bucks at him. Let's not forget he started out real strong last season. It was a little different because he seems more convincing this season and less soft, but here is a comparison between his first 15 games this season and his first 15 last season:

pergame...10-11...11-12
    minutes....30:15---29:12
    fg%.........48%-----54%
    ft%..........79%-----62%
    rebounds...9.6------9.9
    asssists.....3--------2.1
    blocks......2.1------1.5
    points......16.1-----13.9

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Wil, surely you are not suggesting we are going to flirt with the LT are you?
    And as I pointed out, it it just minimal outside the extra year (which we can offer now too) what we can offer more than others and ask yourself is it wise to take the 5th year to begin with ? A new contract on a 28 yr old 4 or 5 years more at the max, easy, a 29 yr old? psychological barrier there, he may be better off signing 4 yrs, hence sigining 5 now would be 4 in reality) would perhaps be more attractive.

To many factors, but the chances of him moving only increase, the don't get smaller, that is for sure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know we have more money to spend than we did the year we lost Brad Miller to the highest bidder, but letting Roy become a restricted free agent makes me a little nervous. The only reason an agent does not sign an extension is because he thinks his client can get big free agent money. Larry should be prepared to write that big check!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post

Roy will get every last dime that he can.

And it will be a lot of dimes.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I trust Larry to do the right thing with this. The only reason we should extend Roy now is if we get a discount over signing him this summer. Otherwise, if it takes the same money we're better off signing him in the summer and getting the additional year. The max for Roy is a contract starting at just over 13 mil, and Roy doesn't think he's a max guy.
    I don't think an offer starting around 10 mil is an insult but anything starting at more then 12 mil for an extension doesn't make sense.

If Roy doesn't think he's a max guy, I wonder what he does think and what # he has in mind. They can't be that far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I trust Larry to do the right thing with this. The only reason we should extend Roy now is if we get a discount over signing him this summer. Otherwise, if it takes the same money we're better off signing him in the summer and getting the additional year. The max for Roy is a contract starting at just over 13 mil, and Roy doesn't think he's a max guy.
    I don't think an offer starting around 10 mil is an insult but anything starting at more then 12 mil for an extension doesn't make sense.

If Roy doesn't think he's a max guy, I wonder what he does think and what # he has in mind. They can't be that far apart.
    You leave more questions open than a (oops)

1: where is your "FAITH" in Larry based upon? and i mean that, outside of letting contracts go to their end (not trading them) what has he done that make him something you trust with delicate things like this ?

2: Don't re-write what Roy said, he said "MAX guys get extensions straight away, so i will wait till summer.
    that does not say he dont think he is, it says LB dont think he is, because they have not done that extension for the max. Soooo hus agent has told Roy, keep it up and you WILL get that max this summer, if not from LB than from NY or LA or NJ or Dallas, someone will want to give that kind of dosh to you.

3: Obviously they are far apart, otherwise they would all say it is very well possible we get it done, small chance not, but than we can work it out at the end of the season.

It does not take the same money and it does make a difference and the ONLY differnce (financially) (outside of that 5th year they can also give now if they want, and IF Roy wants it) is approx $ 650,000 per annum.
    so 3 million over 4 years, on a 55 or 58 million contract, not that much.

Saying here is your extension, 5 yrs, max, sign it, says a lot, holding out, trying to get a bargain, it costs loyalty and in the end money.

Stubbornness is sometimes good, most of the time a very bad trait.

P.S. I personally think if they offered 12- 12.5 p/a (4/50 5/64) he would have signed it.

Considering they clearly have not offered enough so far (the Pacers that is) I fear with great fear this could be Roy's last season for the Pacers.
    I may be wrong about this, but can't the Pacers offer Roy a better deal when he becomes a RFA than they can now? I thought a contract extension was based on a percent inicrease per year of his current contract, but that goes out the window once he becomes a RFA.

If that is correct, the team could offer him more this summer than they are allowed (by rules) to now.

Am I wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but can't the Pacers offer Roy a better deal when he becomes a RFA than they can now? I thought a contract extension was based on a percent inicrease per year of his current contract, but that goes out the window once he becomes a RFA.

If that is correct, the team could offer him more this summer than they are allowed (by rules) to now.

Am I wrong about that?
    They can extend him for the same amount as they can sign him as an RFA(the short version)

If Roy doesn't get extended now, I won't think the sky is falling.
    LB has done a great job up until this point of spending money wisely. He didn't spend money on bad contracts this past free agency period and I want him to make every effort to keep Roy at the right price. Every dollar he saves on every contract only helps the team in the future. If it ends up taking the max then so be it, but that should wait until the summer. Roy doesn't get to select another team over the Pacers at the same money, he's restricted so if we match he's ours and I think if it plays out that far Larry will match. I see very little chance that we'll lose him.
    The only way that happens is if Roy's production falls way off as happened last year and Larry doesn't think he's worth the money.

My thoughts on the additional year is this and correct me if I'm wrong.

If we extend Roy now doesn't this year count against the max # of years allowed in the contract? A 4 year deal would be this season plus 3 and a 5 year deal this season plus 4. If we wait until the summer don't we get to keep Roy under contract for 1 more season?

You leave more questions open than a (oops)

1: where is your "FAITH" in Larry based upon? and i mean that, outside of letting contracts go to their end (not trading them) what has he done that make him something you trust with delicate things like this ?
    Maybe the faith is because we are 11-4 and have a very solid young team?

He didn't just let contracts expire. He added players to the roster to replace him. Collison, Hibbert, West and Hill didn't just pop out of thin air. He has also drafted very well.

And what do you mean "not trading them"? What about trading Murphy for Collison? He's playing pretty solid right now. That was a steal if I've ever seen one. He also turned our draft pick this year into a guy who has been a huge contributor.

You have to have assets to make moves in this league. We had little assets in recent years. The players who other teams would have wanted were guys that we actually wanted to keep (Hibbert, Granger). No one wants over-priced garbage like Murphy, Ford, and Dunleavy. The fact that we were able to trade Murphy is a miracle. You don't think Bird was on the phone trying to get some sucker to take Ford or Dun? But no one wants overpriced junk like that. The only option he had was to let the contracts expire.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Maybe the faith is because we are 11-4 and have a very solid young team?

He didn't just let contracts expire. He added players to the roster to replace him. Collison, Hibbert, West and Hill didn't just pop out of thin air. He has also drafted very well.

And what do you mean "not trading them"? What about trading Murphy for Collison? He's playing pretty solid right now. That was a steal if I've ever seen one. He also turned our draft pick this year into a guy who has been a huge contributor.

You have to have assets to make moves in this league. We had little assets in recent years. The players who other teams would have wanted were guys that we actually wanted to keep (Hibbert, Granger). No one wants over-priced garbage like Murphy, Ford, and Dunleavy. The fact that we were able to trade Murphy is a miracle. You don't think Bird was on the phone trying to get some sucker to take Ford or Dun? But no one wants overpriced junk like that. The only option he had was to let the contracts expire.
    If i answered this it would derail the thread, let it suffice that i totally disagree with you and consider he has had far more bad drafts then good ones.

If i answered this it would derail the thread, let it suffice that i totally disagree with you and consider he has had far more bad drafts then good ones.

Well some of what I said is fact that cannot be disagreed with. You said that he let the contracts expire and didn't trade them when in fact he traded the biggest one (Murphy) for a player who is currently our starting PG.

The first draft Bird was around for was 2004.

2004: Drafted Harrison with the last pick in the first round. Yeah, Harrison didn't work out, but it was the last pick in the first round. Most of the players picked in the second round behind him are out of the NBA.

2005: Granger. I don't need to say anything about how well this has worked out.

2006: Shawne Williams. It was a clearly a bad pick that didn't work out for us and it would be nice if we chose Rondo instead. But lots of teams whiffed on Rondo and wish they could have that one back. This is comparable to Donnie Walsh picking George McLeod when Tim Hardaway, Kemp, Barros, and Blaylock were still on the board.

2007: No pick

2008: Drafted Rush and Hibbert. Hibbert's success speaks for itself. Rush was decent in his three year career though he ultimately didn't work out.

2009: Hansbrough. He has been a decent bench player here. I understand that many would have rather had Lawson or Collison, but that doesn't make Hansbrough a "bad" pick. He has produced here.

2010: Paul George. Obviously a fan favorite on this forum with tons of potential.

2011: Traded the 15th pick in a weak draft for George Hill. Leonard looks like he will be decent, but we needed a proven player as we already have a bunch of young projects on the team. Plus George is still young himself. That move has worked out very well.

I want to know where you are getting that he had "far more bad drafts than good ones". 2006 was bad, no question about it. 04 you can't say was bad because we had the last pick in the first round. 05 and 08 were huge successes. 2010 is viewed as a huge success on this forum as most here are big PG fans. Trading the pick in 2011 for Hill has worked out well. I get that someone wishes we had someone other than Hansbrough, but it's not like Hansbrough is a scrub who can't get on the court. He has contributed here.

I see one draft (06) where everyone can say: "yeah, that was a bad draft pick." But I see several where you can say "yeah, Bird made a good choice there"

What players should he have drafted? What years aside from 06 were bad? I don't see how you can say he has had more bad drafts than good ones.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

if you want to discuss this, do it in a new thread, not in this one.

08-11 are the only years you can rate Bird on. Donnie was the GM through the 2007 season.

But we've already had this conversation, and nothing has changed, because people like to look at Bird and voice their opinions on him, rather than his actual job.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: