Thread: A negative but positive post

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default A negative but positive post

I had the unusual situation of watching the Lakers game after I already knew we had won.

I was dumbstruck by the number of messed up plays, poor decisions, bad shot selections, etc. that took place down the stretch.

Had we lost the game, the postgame thread would have been filled with comments on all the various gaffes. Admittedly, I would have been a part of that. (Of course, some of that happened anyway, thanks to the "anti-homer" crowd.)

But this did two things for me:

1. I was reminded of what a good job the coaches are doing. The emphasis on defense, rebounding, physicality and getting the ball in the post is winning us games. Perfect ball handling, great shooting, and pristine offensive plays are not winning us games. It takes great patience and belief in the strategy for the coaches to pull this off, and they are succeeding.

2. I mean, just how good could we really be? We are winning games against very good teams right now, and we really aren't playing all that well, at least offensively. Given time, gelling of chemistry, Granger and a few others finding their stride, and just a couple of good breaks . . . we could be REALLY good.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 01-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A negative but positive post

You rebound, you play defense, and you play for each other, and you will win a lot of basketball games. It doesn't matter what level you're at.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I think the lockout actually played perfectly into the Pacers strengths. The offense across the NBA has been brutual so far, and the Pacers strength is defense and team play. I do worry that the lack of a player who can create his own shot off the dribble will bite us in the playoffs, but I am estatic so far
    Sittin on top of the world!

I didn't see the game until last night, and I was struck by how poor we looked, compared to the hoopla on the board. Yes, any time you beat the Lakers that's a good thing, but I just don't think they're very good.

I do agree that it's great that we're winning considering our quality of play. And one does need to remember the lockout when looking at game quality in general. But I'm still concerned about the next two weeks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I'm of the firm belief that the only place for the offense to go is up. That bodes well, because we are winning games in spite of this issue.

Vogel still hasn't really had an opportunity to install an offense, we may not realistically see how good this team can be offensively until next season. However, it can only get better from here. I'm ok with that.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

The thing is, most other teams are on the same level as far as shooting goes. I assume as we get better other teams will improve as well, so I don't know. We still haven't seen the best out of our offense for sure.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

I love how physical this team is, and that we try and contest every shot, but my fear is that our physicality will hurt us if we play Lebron or Rose in the playoffs because they will get the calls and we will be in early foul trouble.

I know you can't worry about that stuff and you just have to play your game and let the whistles blow where they may, but I just see this playing out every time I try and picture this team in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You rebound, you play defense, and you play for each other, and you will win a lot of basketball games. It doesn't matter what level you're at.
    It's amazing how simple the game of basketball really is.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there are a number of players who still haven't "found" their game yet this season.

Granger has shown some life as of late with his shooting slowly returning, but his defense makes up for his shooting almost every game. With the exception of a couple boneheaded technicals and some poor shot selection, he's producing and showing he is still a valuable asset to the team.

David West is still recovering and testing out his limits, and I see his play only getting better and better as his conditioning returns.

DC is looking much better than last year, and I believe that he continues to get better. I am enjoying his improved defense and shooting this year, just needs to focus a bit on controlling the offensive tempo and seeing the whole court.

Big Roy, what can I say....This man has come to play and play well. He seems to get more aggressive with every game. My only complaint is that he doesn't touch the ball enough.....FEED HIM

Paul George hit a bit of a shooting slump, but his defense well makes up for his inability to produce offense at times. He's a young player and he's going to go through some growing pains, but he possesses all the skills and talents to be a future all-star.

Tyler seems to still be effected by the eye injury. He hasn't had a stellar game since, but his game will return and he seems to be more open to dishing the ball than taking every shot. If he can get that down, and not shoot every time he touches the ball, he would have a really solid off the bench role.

George Hill was a great pickup, and is already providing dividends...

Dahntay is playing good too. I know there are a lot of Dahntay haters, but he has helped us out tremendously at times.....He is still somewhat of a black hole, but I will take that with as long as he continues to penetrate and handle the ball well.

Lou...What can you say?? The man can't shoot to save his life, but he is a big man and he fills up space in the lane. His defense isn't bad, and he does rebound. For $2.4Mil for one year, he fills a void that we had. So far it doesn't look like he will be renewed next year, but we needed a big man and with Pendergraph and Foster out, he fills the role....

All in all, I love this team and thoroughly enjoy watching them play. Even when we were getting foul after foul called against us in LA, I couldn't stop watching. There's something to be said about a team that truly likes each other. There was a thread going around back in training camp about concerns over the fun that was being had instead of die hard seriousness, and the way the team plays together shows us exactly why they're having fun....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's amazing how simple the game of basketball really is.
    IMO, basketball maybe more than any other sport, is about team belief. A lot of people simplify it down to superstars, but I don't think that's true. Even if it is, no one can deny that most superstars have always been able to get their teammates to rally behind them even if they have different ways of doing it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: