Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Pacers/Lakers postgame thread

Default Re: Pacers/Lakers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why, because he could give us 6 fouls?

More often than not, he looks old and decrepit.

Even though his fade away jumper is even more painful to watch than it used to be, he has a refined post game and is a good passer. His defense is still great and he is still one of the great shot blockers in the league. He would be a great back up to Roy.

I'm all for it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I agree in your points about Tyler and Roy's hooks.

I am not saying that we should have drawn lots more fouls. That was only the case in the first period and after that it evened out.

What I am trying to refute is your insinuation that this happened because the Lakers were more aggressive. We were aggressive. We took the ball to the rim. They were just did not contest our shots enough to foul us. And what did we did? We scored. And we won. Roy exploited the fact that Bynum was not trying to alter his shot and scored at will. He was aggressive. He was the instigator. He took the game to him and he beat him.

About the Lakers now. Bryant took 15 shots outside of the paint and 2 jumpers on the foul line (one at the stripe and one in the elbow). That equals 17 jumpers. That's more than half of the shots he attempted. Pau Gasol shot 7 shots outside of the paint. Fisher's shots were all jumpers against that weird floater. Murphy's 3 of 4 shots were outside of the paint as well. The ones who mainly attacked the rim was Bynum, Barnes, MWP and Morris. The rest of the Lakers settled mostly for jumpers and they bricked most of them.

So, don't bring the aggressiveness argument. It has nothing to do with the disparity on the FTs.

PS: If you take a look at the FTs you will see that they only took 14 FTAs more than us. In the first half they already lead with 10-11. So, the officiating past the first quarter was quite 50-50. And yes, in the first quarter they deserved more FTs. They attacked the rim better and we played bad. But that was not what happened at the rest of the game.

I've been a Pacer fan since 93-94, originally watching from my home city of Perth, Australia. I've been to games at Market Square Arena and Conseco. I love my Pacers. This is the most excited I've been about the Pacers since the mid-90s glory years. I'm way more excited about this team than the pre-brawl 61-win version.

I don't know if I've ever seen a team with 7 players averaging double figures in points. This is exactly the type of TEAM I like. It's still early but everyone appears to be on the same page and genuinely happy and excited for each other.

Roy's really maturing into a top center and his attitude is phenomenal. Danny's defense has been amazing this year. Once his shot starts falling with consistency (I'm confident it will) he'll be a great two-way player.

D. West has brought toughness and leadership to the 4. He's just a great steadying influence. George Hill has done exactly what we hoped for, being that prototypical combo-guard every team needs. Darren has proven much more steady at the point this year and Paul is showing some very nice signs.

Combine this with Hansbrough, Dahntay and Foster's hustle and I think we have great balance.

There will be some disappointing losses this year no doubt (this team is still young), but I feel like we can get the 3-4 seed in the East this year. I've got league-pass broadband up here in Canada, so for the first time in my life I'll be able to catch every game! Can't wait...

/rah rah post

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacerDU For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"That's a credit to the coaches. We put in schemes to take the ball out of his hands to force other guys to make shots and it worked tonight. We didn’t spring it until the fourth quarter. He was doing his thing but we were still in the game. We knew that when it came down to crunch time Kobe was going to get the ball in his hands and we wanted to get it out of his hands." - Granger on the defense against Bryant
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    "That's a credit to the coaches. We put in schemes to take the ball out of his hands to force other guys to make shots and it worked tonight. We didn’t spring it until the fourth quarter. He was doing his thing but we were still in the game. We knew that when it came down to crunch time Kobe was going to get the ball in his hands and we wanted to get it out of his hands." - Granger on the defense against Bryant
    Now that's fantastic. I'm gonna have to go watch that again. Great coaching job, right there.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Speak for yourself. Teams when games, STARS win championships. I'd trade almost anyone on our roster for a bonafide superstar
    New York Knicks say hi.

What a great win that was.I couldn't stay up because it was a cruel hour and last time i checked we were behind by 10 or 11 if i can recall.I thought for the worst to be fair but what a nice surprise to see that we won the game when i woke up today.Roy went into a beast mode in the second half(broken nose must have given him extra motive).More or less all of the players helped a lot last night except for Lou(somebody should talk to him or ban him from taking any kind of shot unless there is a clear dunk or something) and Tyler probably.West kept us in touch with the score in the first half,Danny despite his 4-14,was good in both ends with some excellent D and crucial scoring.DC was good once again and Hill with his usual production coming off the bench.
    Can't wait for the match against Orlando and the Bulls.
    Last edited by Johanvil; 01-23-2012 at 03:57 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yep if Roy doesn't comes back we lose that game.
    That's right, but it's important for folks to understand that we lose that game even if we had a backup to a backup for Roy.

Having more depth (the kind we would add in the near future) would not likely have saved us against the Lakers in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'm not discounting Bird knew the risks, but I truly believe he didn't expect what he's got from Foster so far either. The one person who should be able to relate to back pain is Bird. This is why I don't understand not having another quality b/u 5.
    I think knowing what you would get out of Foster and getting another quality b/u 5 are two different things. Bird may still be trying to do this. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we lose this game if anyone but Hibbert is there at the end, most likely. So I don't think depth at the 5 would have helped us win this one. Some games are like that. You hope that you have near-starter depth among the bench players at each position, but who really enjoys that luxury at center? Come to think of it, who really has a great center to start with these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Now that's fantastic. I'm gonna have to go watch that again. Great coaching job, right there.

Good strategy, not the greatest execution. We tried it in the playoffs against Derrick Rose and it backfired.

It will take some time for us to get good at this, but I think it's the right thing to do. Practice makes perfect, so I'm glad we're trying it early in the season against the best players.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Good strategy, not the greatest execution. We tried it in the playoffs against Derrick Rose and it backfired.

It will take some time for us to get good at this, but I think it's the right thing to do. Practice makes perfect, so I'm glad we're trying it early in the season against the best players.
    It's one thing to double off of Matt Barnes and hope he misses an open three.

It's quite another to double off of Kyle Korver and hope he misses an open three.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

'15

I never heard/read this b4. Either I missed it, or maybe it has never been discussed b4. Thanks for my enlightment I appreciate it.

Sign me up for the "JO would be the perfect backup center to Roy" bandwagon.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It's one thing to double off of Matt Barnes and hope he misses an open three.

It's quite another to double off of Kyle Korver and hope he misses an open three.
    Certainly. My thought is that, with Paul George, you can effectively send a double team that will make the opponent pause before making a tough pass, which can allow time for rotation to the open person. Boston was great at that for a few seasons, and Detroit was great at it before that.

Last night, Matt Barnes got his look way, way too easy because of who and when we sent the double team. It's similar to that Mavs game the other night when Terry left Fisher at the worst time. Good idea, not so great execution.

Mood

I've been checking nba.com videos obsessively today looking for post-game press conference stuff. No dice yet. Anyone know another place it might be posted?
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

You think the Pacers could have won this game last night with DWest and Lou playing the 5? NO WAY!
    There are only 1 or 2 centers in the league, maybe, who could have replaced Roy tonight and given us a win.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Sign me up for the "JO would be the perfect backup center to Roy" bandwagon.
    Considering he has mentioned a desire to retire here, I would be happy to have JO backing up Hibbert. However, why would the Celtics give him to us?

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Please don't turn this into an anti Bird thread.
    If they turn this into an anti-bird thread, I sign on to defend the excellent job Bird has done. It would be like fending off people who have no weapons, utilizing a turret from 100 yards, oh and they can't walk or see either.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Considering he has mentioned a desire to retire here, I would be happy to have JO backing up Hibbert. However, why would the Celtics give him to us?
    Well, it depends. If they're thinking about a deep playoff run, they'll keep him. But if they blow it up, they're looking at 8mil in luxury tax payments.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to get Jermaine for a 2nd round pick in such a case. Heck, Washington paid a 2nd to get Hinrich and a 1st.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

The question is "can Bird and JO put their past behind them"? I just don't see Bird interested in JO, especially at his salary.

The question is "can Bird and JO put their past behind them"? I just don't see Bird interested in JO, especially at his salary.
    You have a better chance of getting on the floor than Bird & O'Neal coming together.

Jermaine doesn't like him and that feeling is returned in spades by Bird.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I didn't know there was bad blood between JO and Bird. Was it really that bad?