Thread: To Extend or Not To Extend?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default To Extend or Not To Extend?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-to-...medium=twitter

To Extend Or Not To Extend: The NBA widened the window for teams to reach a long-term contract extension for the players drafted in 2008 NBA draft, giving teams and players until January 25th to reach a deal this season because of the NBA Lockout.

So far only Chicago’s Derrick Rose and Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook have reached deals; both receiving maximum dollars to insure they stay where they are.

There are a few other players that could get deals, and here is where things stand, listed in the order they were drafted.

#2 – Michael Beasley – Minnesota

Sources close to the process label the odds of a Beasley extension as low. Michael has been a solid player for the Wolves, but injuries have been an issue. It’s far more likely that a deal is made this summer after a stroll through restricted free agency happens before a monster payday on Beasley’s terms. Sources say his camp has had talks, but with rookie Derrick Williams in town and playing well, Beasley has hardly been the franchise-changing player he was projected to be coming into the NBA three years ago.

#3 – OJ Mayo – Memphis

As we’ll cover shortly, it seems more likely that OJ Mayo is traded than extended. It’s possible that the Grizz have heard the price tag and realize it’s time to move him simply because they cannot afford him with the monster deals given to Mike Conley, Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay and now Marc Gasol. The odds of an OJ Mayo extension seem astronomically low.

#5 – Kevin Love – Minnesota

Expect Kevin Love to get a full max extension offer before the deadline tomorrow. The question is will he sign it? There had been reports of a four-year offer, which sources say was about addressing Love’s long-term concerns about the direction of the team, but at the end of the day the Wolves are prepared to offer Kevin every nickel that can be offered. The odds of a Love extension are very high, unless he thinks he can be named MVP this year, which would allow him to get a larger deal next summer, but how realistic is that?

#6 – Danilo Gallinari – Denver

The Denver Nuggets have talked about an extension with Gallo, but it’s unlikely they are going to go all-in on Danilo. It’s more likely that the Nuggets ride out this season, issue a Qualifying Offer and see if they can get a marketplace driven price. If Gallo’s camp wants a deal now, it could be had, it would just mean a deal on lower side of the price scale, not the high side. The odd of an extension in the next 48-hours is low, but not completely out of the question.

#7 – Eric Gordon – New Orleans

There are reports that say Eric Gordon and his agent have talked with the Hornets about doing an extension, however because of the Hornets precarious ownership situation the final call on an extension will be made by David Stern, who is the acting owner of the Hornets. Sources say Eric’s next deal will likely be made by whatever incoming owner is named in the coming weeks and while extending Gordon is something the team wants to do, it may have to wait until the team is sold. The odds of an extension are not good, although it seems the numbers have been worked out so it’s just a question of will Stern green light the deal and saddle his new owner with a hefty contract or let the new owner make that call after he owns the team?

#9 – DJ Augustin – Charlotte

The Charlotte Bobcats have made it clear that they will not be doing a contract extension for any of their players this year and that includes DJ Augustin. The Bobcats will likely give Augustin a Qualifying Offer this summer and let the marketplace set his price. In part because the Bobcats are not in love with DJ, but also because the Bobcats are a team in transition and depending on how the draft plays out the team could look to upgrade. Extending DJ seems very unlikely.

#13 – Brandon Rush – Golden State

The Warriors have talked about an extension with Brandon Rush, more to lock him in at a good price. Rush is not going to command a huge deal, but it seems the Warriors have at least talked about it out of respect to Rush. The odds of a deal seem low, but if Brandon wants security he could lower his price to a point that makes it favor the Warriors, that’s likely the scenario that gets something done.

#15 – Robin Lopez – Phoenix

The Suns have said there is “no basis” for an extension with Robin at this point. The two sides have talked about a deal, but according to Suns’ president Lon Babby, he just does not see anything happening. The Suns will issue Lopez a Qualifying Offer and try their hand at restricted free agency. The odds of a deal are almost non-existent.

#16 – Roy Hibbert – Indiana

The Pacers and Hibbert have talked about a new deal, but it seems where Roy’s camp places his value today is a little too high and a deal in the next 48 hours seems unlikely. Don’t read that to mean anything about Roy’s desire to remain a Pacer or the Pacers’ desire to keep Roy, as both sides say they will likely do a deal, just not likely extension now. It’s more likely a deal is reached after a trip through restricted free agency. The Pacers really want to stay flexible. The Pacers have just $36 million on the books next summer and want to be in a position to add more players. Roy’s contract price will also be tied to how far this Pacers squad can go this season, a strong and dominating playoff run for the Pacers will go a long way to helping Roy get paid. Don’t expect an extension before the deadline.

#18 – JaVale McGee – Washington

JaVale wants an extension. However it’s HIGHLY unlikely he’ll get one. The Wizards are dreadfully bad, and word is no one on the roster is safe from trade speculation except for maybe John Wall. With just two wins on the season, there is almost no scenario in which anyone on the roster gets “rewarded” with a new deal. JaVale will likely get a Qualifying Offer next summer to see where the market values him, but given the lack of love Nick Young saw in free agency, McGee’s next deal may be far lower than anyone expects. Do not expect an extension for JaVale.

#21 – Ryan Anderson – Orlando

Ryan is playing out of his mind this season – despite an o-fer last night in Boston – Ryan has exceeded expectations. Sources say the Magic have talked extension with Ryan and there is a 50/50 chance that he gets a deal in the next 48-hours. The question becomes how much will Orlando pay? The Magic have a history of overpaying players, so if a deal is reached what will the valuation be? If the Magic do not reach a deal with Anderson, they will issue a qualifying offer and look to match offers on the open market. The Magic have made it clear that Ryan is not going anywhere, so we’ll see if that happen now or in July.

#25 – Nicolas Batum – Portland

The Blazers and Batum have been talking new deal for several weeks, with the Blazers saying that reaching a deal was more about finding a deal that works for both. Batum has said he wants to remain in Portland and with just $41 million in cap commitments next year the Blazers have a choice to make. Lock in Batum now or wait and see what assets can be acquired next summer and do a deal with Batum after a swing through restricted free agency. The odds of a deal are low, simply because the Blazers have cap space to play with next summer. There is no risk of losing Batum, so unless he gives them the home team discount, do not expect a deal in the next 48 hours. Batum’s deal likely comes in July.

Keep in mind that even if a team and its player do not reach a deal before the end of business tomorrow, that does not mean much. The window teams have, gives them the chance to negotiate against themselves. Teams tend to overpay during this window.

Most teams would rather wait until this summer, issue a Qualifying Offer sheet and try and match a deal in restricted free agency and let the marketplace set the price.

The deals that get done during this window are either for players that are locks to receive Max money, or deals that tend to favor the team.

OJ’s Future?: For whatever reason the Memphis Grizzlies continue to shop OJ Mayo, despite having a solid week for Memphis, Mayo continue to be a chip the Grizz are trying to cash and according to Chris Mannix of SI.com, part of the price tag for OJ is a first round draft pick.

Mayo has been averaging better than 25 minutes of playing time over the last week and has been scoring the ball extremely well, not only from the field but from deep (excluding last night’s 0-for-5 outing).

On the season, Mayo is 45.4% from the field and hitting 44% from NBA three and 80% from the foul line.

To put that in perspective Steve Nash on his career is 49% from the field, 42.9% from three and 90% from the line, which is considered rarified air for a guard.

OJ is nowhere close to Steve Nash in impacting a game, but his averages this season are impressive.

If the season ended today the Grizzlies would hold the four seed and open the playoffs with home court.

The Grizz have won 7 straight games and seem to have found their groove, which OJ has been a big part of.

It’s unclear exactly why the Grizz would trade Mayo, but it is clear that the Grizz continue to entertain talks and its very likely OJ is moved before the march 15ht trade deadline.

I think Bird will make another run at OJ
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: To Extend or Not To Extend?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Bird will make another run at OJ
    I respectfully disagree; I think Mayo was primarily a way to dump Rush and if we couldn't get that deal done when we had Rush (and before Mayo increased his value by his play), there's no reason to think we'd give up more or that they'd take less.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

OJ seems redundant to me now that we have Hill. I'd rather go after more of a pure shooter personally.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Like the George Hill trade, I am more amenable to trading a mid to low first round pick for a known NBA quantity than hoping that the young guy we may draft turns out to be a decent player. If Memphis will trade us Mayo for our 1st round pick, I'd do that.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nothing on George Hill?

@Pacers24Colts12

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    Like the George Hill trade, I am more amenable to trading a mid to low first round pick for a known NBA quantity than hoping that the young guy we may draft turns out to be a decent player. If Memphis will trade us Mayo for our 1st round pick, I'd do that.
    I don't love Mayo per se, but I agree with the sentiment.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers season winning percentage is anywhere close to what it is right now, then we are not likely to score a player in the draft that will ever be as good as Mayo. It's not impossible, it's just that the odds would not be with us. Not many teams have been very fortunate in getting a really good player with a 23+ draft pick.

Therefore the better move would be to use the pick to acquire another player. If Mayo is a player that can be re-signed reasonably or used as part of a sign-and-trade for another player, then maybe he is that player that should be acquired with the pick. He is a scorer that can get his own shot.

If the Pacers are willing to trade the pick, I think it is just as likely that it will be used on a backup center near the trade deadline, possibly to help another team with their cap space while getting a decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    I respectfully disagree; I think Mayo was primarily a way to dump Rush and if we couldn't get that deal done when we had Rush (and before Mayo increased his value by his play), there's no reason to think we'd give up more or that they'd take less.
    I agree, I mean they wouldn't have talked if Bird wasn't at all interested, but overall I do think it was more of an attempt to get something useful for Rush and McRoberts instead of getting nothing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Isn't there a rule about not trading first-round picks in consecutive years? Are we allowed to trade our pick again? I remember reading something about this last season.

Edit: Now that I think about it, we drafted Leonard then traded him. That might let us out of it.

I do think we get mayo before fa but I think it will be dj and first swap

Mood

Yes, technically we drafted Leonard, so we're free to trade our pick this year if we want to.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Isn't there a rule about not trading first-round picks in consecutive years? Are we allowed to trade our pick again? I remember reading something about this last season.

Edit: Now that I think about it, we drafted Leonard then traded him. That might let us out of it.
    You can't trade first round picks in FUTURE consecutive years - in other words, today we could not trade both the 2012 and 2013 first round picks.

Once the draft is behind you, it no longer counts, so since we are past 2011 draft we are free to do whatever we want with 2012.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    OJ seems redundant to me now that we have Hill. I'd rather go after more of a pure shooter personally.
    OJ Mayo is a good outside shooter, in fact that is his biggest strength. You can never have TOO much talent.

A 2nd unit of Hill, Mayo, Jones, Hans, and Foster/Admundson would be REALLY good. I think that if we could get Mayo, we may seriously be in the running for the deepest team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    you could be right, however I think "aledgedly" Bird and company have made multiple inquiries on Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    You can't trade first round picks in FUTURE consecutive years - in other words, today we could not trade both the 2012 and 2013 first round picks.

Once the draft is behind you, it no longer counts, so since we are past 2011 draft we are free to do whatever we want with 2012.
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

So there's still hope of my impossible dream trade: Collison, Mayo and our first go the Celtics, Hansbrough to Memphis and Rondo to the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

So there's still hope of my impossible dream trade: Collison, Mayo and our first go the Celtics, Hansbrough to Memphis and Rondo to the Pacers.
    Nice, like that one

This sounds good. A low first round pick for OJ Mayo? Sure.

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisMannixSI...04190936903680

With respect to O.J. Mayo, I'm told Memphis is looking for a No. 1 pick in virtually every discussion they have had about Mayo
    However, he's going to have to be re-upped next year, and if he's expecting MLE money or above, there's an open question of whether we can just pick him up on the open market, as demand will be relatively low.

In short, if his contract included at least one more year, that seems like an obvious tradeoff worth making... but his time is almost up, which makes things a lot more challenging to assess.

A late first round pick for a one year rental of a "potential" player? Little more murky for me.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This sounds good. A low first round pick for OJ Mayo? Sure.

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisMannixSI...04190936903680

However, he's going to have to be re-upped next year, and if he's expecting MLE money or above, there's an open question of whether we can just pick him up on the open market, as demand will be relatively low.

In short, if his contract included at least one more year, that seems like an obvious tradeoff worth making... but his time is almost up, which makes things a lot more challenging to assess.

A late first round pick for a one year rental of a "potential" player? Little more murky for me.

See thats exactly why you do it

rent him for one year, give up this years No1

at the end of the year decide who to re-up Mayo Hill or both