Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AFC Championship Game Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: AFC Championship Game Thread

Guys,as a guy who just watched his 3rd football game ever thus completely unfamiliar with the game(i barely know the basic rules lol),please give me a basketball equivalent of Cundiff's kick miss?Is it like missing an easy lay up at the end of the game or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys,as a guy who just watched his 3rd football game ever thus completely unfamiliar with the game(i barely know the basic rules lol),please give me a basketball equivalent of Cundiff's kick miss?Is it like missing an easy lay up at the end of the game or something?

Its like being given two free throws and missing both.

In otherwords he pulled a Nick Anderson.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Are the Pats really THAT much worse than a bunch of Baltimorons who refuse to even put "Indianapolis" on the scoreboard when we play them there? If anything I'm glad we don't have to lay out the red carpet for the city of Baltimore.
    Yes, they are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow what a failure! Good thing the Patriots won.

Once this season spiraled out of control was there ever any doubt Karma was going to have the Patriots in Indy for the SB?

I suppose a SF win would have a lot of Indy people rooting for "Captain Comeback" to tell his team to "let 'er rip" and beat the Patriots. But that is putting the cart before the horse.... And I could see Indy rooting for E. Manning too...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It wasn't a chip shot... but it should've been within a makeable range. I'd say it's more akin to your best shooter coming off a screen and getting the shot he wanted and missing at the buzzer.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Imagine it is game 7 of the ECF and the Pacers are down by two. Danny Granger steals the ball from Derrick Rose and there is no defender between him and the basket, but he trips halfway down the court, loses the ball, and time expires. That is basically what happened. I am guessing that at least 90% of all 32 yard FGs are made in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Once this season spiraled out of control was there ever any doubt Karma was going to have the Patriots in Indy for the SB?

I suppose a SF win would have a lot of Indy people rooting for "Captain Comeback" to tell his team to "let 'er rip" and beat the Patriots. But that is putting the cart before the horse.... And I could see Indy rooting for E. Manning too...
    Its looks pretty bad out there and SF has Frank Gore back that might be to their advantage.

At least Harbaugh's parents won't have to worry about a Harbaugh Bowl if SF wins he can avenge his brother.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Its like being given two free throws and missing both.

In otherwords he pulled a Nick Anderson.
    dont you mean a John Starks

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    dont you mean a John Starks
    Yeah that was worse...

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    y didn't baltimore call a timeout?
    ^^^^^^
    this

They barely got the play off, with a timeout in their pocket.

Did they expect the Pats to call a TO to ice him?

I know you don't normally want to ice your kicker, but the rhythm of that play was never right.

Then Myra Kraft helped it go left. Did you notice all the Patriots pointing to the MHK patch every time they made a big play?

Suggs reaction as his kicker Vanderjacked the game away:

He'll feel even worse when he has to wear the "I love Skip Bayless" shirt he promised to wear if the Ravens lost today.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

this play was huge:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I guess the good news for the Pats is Brady couldn't play any worse. He's lucky the Ravens crapped the bed and bailed him out.

There's an article out from Deadspin that talks about why Cundiff got on to the field so late......

Tin foil hats now.

Because the clock operator for NE screwed up the downs on the scoreboard. It goes through Cundiffs routine, and how each down they do something different, blah blah blah, and how the scoreboard said that the Ravens picked up a first down when Boldin fumbled the ball out of bounds. So Cundiff was off doing his routine on third down, which he normally does on second down, instead of being on the sidelines waiting to hear him being called on.

The article doesn't paint it as a conspiracy, pointing out that it could be an honest mistake and the real controversy comes down to why the Ravens didn't use their last time out to stop the clock.

Tinfoil hats is right. I don't know what the scoreboard said, since it is not shown on the TV game tape. The on-the-field down markers were completely correct, on the proper down. edit: Apparently the scoreboard was off, since NFL.com now has posted a version of the Deadspin story.

It seems odd that none of the other players on either FG unit seemed at all confused. 21 guys were watching the field or listening to the coaches, and one poor sap was watching the scoreboard?

Lastly, with just a few seconds left it would not have been all that odd to attempt the kick on 3rd down, if it indeed were 3rd down instead of 4th down. He should have been ready anyway, regardless of down. The logic of a 3rd down kick is that in case of a botched snap or dropped hold (see Tony Romo in the playoffs a few years ago) you can take a knee, call the last TO, and have a second or two for another try. They probably wouldn't do that if they trust Flacco to not make a mistake on one play, but you never know. It would have been a conservative choice, but a judgement call.

Simplest answer is that the kicker wasn't ready, he should have been ready, he could have called timeout himself to get ready, and Harbaugh could have recognized the time crunch as well and called a TO.

Anything else is just lame excuse-making, not on Cundiff's part, since he actually took all the blame for screwing up, but on part of the Deadspin writer.