Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF isn't turning out to be our strength.

Default SF isn't turning out to be our strength.

At the beginning of the season we expected Paul george to pretty much take all the minutes not occupied by Danny Granger at the three. In reality however, Dahantay Jones has been our backup 3 and last night Paul george played less than 22 minutes in the game. So is our plan not working?

There is a lot of talk about us needing a shooting guard, however George Hill is taking a lot of the shooting guard minutes. We also have Lance, Aj, and even DJ who can all play shooting guard. I am not sure what the deal is with Paul Goerge right now, but he isn't helping us at the 3. If Paul George isn't backing up Danny I am suggesting that our biggest weakness(along with the obvious lack of a backup center) is now backup SF. Many (including myself)expected this to be a strength, but DJ wasn't supposed to be the primary backup at the 3. I also expected Paul George would be getting 35+ minutes a night.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: SF isn't turning out to be a strength.

I'd have to disagree. Danny makes it a strength. I count less than 5 SF in the league that are better. Paul Georges strength is his potential and upside and Dahntay is serviceable as long as he doesnt go into full on Kobe mode.

The biggest need on the team as it's currently constructed is a "sniper". Someone who we know is gonna burn the D if they don't rotate on time. If we added another big who could actually make a shot downlow when Roy and West are resting and for god sakes, upgrade the point guard spot and we'd be sitting pretty.

Default Re: SF isn't turning out to be our strength.

I started this thread because I don't understand why Paul George isn't getting the backup SF minutes, or really playing Shooting Forward at all. Do people think this will change over time or is DJ what we should expect for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd have to disagree. Danny makes it a strength. I count less than 5 SF in the league that are better. Paul Georges strength is his potential and upside and Dahntay is serviceable as long as he doesnt go into full on Kobe mode.

The biggest need on the team as it's currently constructed is a "sniper". Someone who we know is gonna burn the D if they don't rotate on time. If we added another big who could actually make a shot downlow when Roy and West are resting and for god sakes, upgrade the point guard spot and we'd be sitting pretty.
    I specificly figured out how to change a thread title so I could change "a strength" to "our strength". I agree Danny makes it a strength. I really am only concerned with the backup situation at SF. As I just stated above what I am curious about is why george isn't playing the 3?

MY biggest problem with DJ is his ego. There have been times where he is on the floor with 2 point guards and still thinks he should dribble around the perimeter. There are also times when he brings the ball up court and refuses to give it to the point guard. If he would stick to playing good defense and attacking the rim occasionally he wouldn't bother me so much.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-21-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I started this thread because I don't understand why Paul George isn't getting the backup SF minutes, or really playing Shooting Forward at all. Do people think this will change over time or is DJ what we should expect for a while?
    Yea I was also wondering about this, with his height and length I thought he could easily be placed at SF as required.

I specificly figured out how to change a thread title so I could change "a strength" to "our strength". I agree Danny makes it a strength. I really am only concerned with the backup situation at SF. As I just stated above what I am curious about is why george isn't playing the 3?

MY biggest problem with DJ is his ego. There have been times where he is on the floor with 2 point guards and still thinks he should dribble around the perimeter. There are also times when he brings the ball up court and refuses to give it to the point guard. If he would stick to playing good defense and attacking the rim occasionally he wouldn't bother me so much.
    I don't think it is his ego, but just a lack of a bball IQ.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to move Hill to the starting SG, and making George the sole back-up SF. Have Price as the primary back-up PG, and giving Lance more minutes at SG. Right now I am having a hard time seeing how starting George puts this team in the best position to win. While he has a lot of potential Hill is a more well rounded, smarter, and consistent player. It would also open up minutes for two better players to get more minutes over Jones.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to move Hill to the starting SG, and making George the sole back-up SF. Have Price as the primary back-up PG, and giving Lance more minutes at SG. Right now I am having a hard time seeing how starting George puts this team in the best position to win. While he has a lot of potential Hill is a more well rounded, smarter, and consistent player. It would also open up minutes for two better players to get more minutes over Jones.
    Paul George is not yet consistent enough to be able to lead the second unit. Grant Hill is more consistent and is thus a better fit for our scorer off the bench spot. The way that our rotation is, I don't see how what you say could be achieved.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Paul George is not yet consistent enough to be able to lead the second unit. Grant Hill is more consistent and is thus a better fit for our scorer off the bench spot. The way that our rotation is, I don't see how what you say could be achieved.
    Only if we get Steve Nash too.

Our best player plays at small forward, it's a strength.

I agree. If we could pick up Grant Hill for cheap, he'd really help out our second unit.

Or did you mean George?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Only if we get Steve Nash too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I agree. If we could pick up Grant Hill for cheap, he'd really help out our second unit.

Or did you mean George?
    I don't know how I ended up mixing up George with Grant Hill. I've been probably reading a lot of Suns boards

But yeah, what I wanted to say is that I prefer George Hill than Paul George coming off the bench.

This shouldn't be an issue when/if we get Shawn Marion.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This shouldn't be an issue when/if we get Shawn Marion.
    Certainly but how do you think that we're getting him?

The rotations have been confusing me as well. I presumed that DJ is getting the minutes because of the defensive intensity and offense (when under control). There have been a couple of times when I wanted vogel to let Lance do his best Kobe imitation when the offense goes stagnant. I am not sure if PG has not had the opportunity, relative to others on the floor, or just has not shown the assertiveness when he is actually the best scorer out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't think it is his ego, but just a lack of a bball IQ.

My thoughts exactly

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Our bench isn't turning out to be our strength.
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    FTFY.
    George Hill is a great bench player. I am still happy to have Tyler and think he is better than most backups. I also like Lance and find AJ to be serviceable. Fosters health and that apparently DJ is our best option for a backup 3 is my main problem with our second unit. Pendergraph and Lou are fine for end of the bench guys even though some bulk at the 5 would be nice.

Sports Logo

We need more bench depth. I wish we could add Ariza like I suggested

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    We need more bench depth. I wish we could add Ariza like I suggested
    Ariza is way to expensive to be a 7th bench player, he earns 7 million/year

I am curious about is why george isn't playing the 3?
    I think you got a good point here. Paul matches up IMO offensively better against SF. He's trying to dribble around smaller players when he should be punishing them in the paint. If we use him at back up 3 he'd be quicker, and faster than nearly everyone he goes against, and I can't really think of anyone that he couldn't guard.

Certainly but how do you think that we're getting him?
    Dallas might look to unload Marion and amnesty Haywood to help make room for Howard or Deron. We'll see if it happens; I think it's our most likely scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Dallas might look to unload Marion and amnesty Haywood to help make room for Howard or Deron. We'll see if it happens; I think it's our most likely scenario.
    Haywood would sure as hell be better than Lou, and a good long-term solution for backup C.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Ariza is way to expensive to be a 7th bench player, he earns 7 million/year
    We could let him back up the 2&3. And with guys like Hill, Tyler and Ariza off the bench we're gonna be a crazy deep team.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

George Hill is a great bench player. I am still happy to have Tyler and think he is better than most backups. I also like Lance and find AJ to be serviceable. Fosters health and that apparently DJ is our best option for a backup 3 is my main problem with our second unit. Pendergraph and Lou are fine for end of the bench guys even though some bulk at the 5 would be nice.
    Without Foster in, our bench production has been pretty terrible. Also, Paul George.

Landing Wilson Chandler or JR Smith from China without losing anyone would be nice? Hoping the trade deadline allows us to add another wing, or big for cap space or 2nd round pick, as we still have 2 free roster spots as well