Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to call Jimmer a bust?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is it too early to call Jimmer a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, these constant debate between homerism and anti-homerism that is quite obvious on this board gets boring really quick.

Not to mention that most of the time, it is terribly off-topic.
    Yeah, a lot of these threads are the reason the random thought thread was created. They clutter up the board.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If you think people's problems with lance are strictly related to his game, you're a little out of touch with reality....
    Where did I say anything even remotely similar to that?

Nobody is trashing Lance. It's just that a lot of people don't like the hyperboles that a lot of the Lance fans have said.
    Not true at all. There are a lot of people who bash Lance every chance they get. I could name them, but anyone with over 55 posts knows who they are.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 01-21-2012 at 05:56 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Where did I say anything even remotely similar to that?
    Because you can't compare Jimmer's issues with Lance's. They aren't in the same ballpark. They aren't even the same sport.

Jimmer is going to be a bust but right now it's not fair to call anyone a bust.

Just like I said last year when someone asked if Evan Turner was a bust two months into his career, the only person who can be called a bust in his rookie season is Ryan Leaf.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

Not true at all. There are a lot of people who bash Lance every chance they get. I could name them, but anyone with over 55 posts knows who they are.
    And I could quote posts that are simply hyperbolic about Lance with people raving about Lance hitting a simple jumper.

Understand something. That's not a war in which two sides participate (the pro-Lance and the anti-Lance one). That's an internet forum about the Pacers whereas most posters post their views on how the Pacers are doing and how they are going to get better. A lot of posters just don't take a side in this feud. They have said both good and bad things about Lance. It depends to how he is playing. Don't expect this crowd to bash Lance for going 1/5 or 0/4 but don't expect them to rave about him after scoring 12 points either.

Because you can't compare Jimmer's issues with Lance's. They aren't in the same ballpark. They aren't even the same sport.
    Here we go again. Kstat, I am talking purely about basketball. If you can't separate the two, then that's on you bro. I personally don't like to pretend I have any clue what Lance is like morally. And I also choose not to use professional athletes to prove my moral good standing. I trust the people in charge of the team who know him to judge that aspect of him. You know..... because they actually know him on a personal level.

Jimmer has already played more minutes than Lance (and he's older), so if Lance can get labeled as a bust then Jimmer can too, and that is all I said.

And the reaction I got just proves the point I was making. If you weren't a bunch of haters you wouldn't care about my post what so ever.

...and here we go again with the head in the sand...

I'm not even referring to moral issues. I'm referring to his immaturity issues not even related to his earlier legal troubles. His play on the floor I think has been judged pretty fairly.

Also, responding with "disagreeing with me only proves I'm right" is a poor way to win an argument

And I could quote posts that are simply hyperbolic about Lance with people raving about Lance hitting a simple jumper.

Understand something. That's not a war in which two sides participate (the pro-Lance and the anti-Lance one). That's an internet forum about the Pacers whereas most posters post their views on how the Pacers are doing and how they are going to get better. A lot of posters just don't take a side in this feud. They have said both good and bad things about Lance. It depends to how he is playing. Don't expect this crowd to bash Lance for going 1/5 or 0/4 but don't expect them to rave about him after scoring 12 points either.
    Ok, do it. Or just keep pulling things out of your butt. Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    No its not. So so glad Pacers didnt even have a chance to draft this scrub.
    What's the matter? Jimmer steal your girl or something?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Jimmer has already played more minutes than Lance (and he's older), so if Lance can get labeled as a bust then Jimmer can too, and that is all I said.
    I never said that Lance can be labeled as a bust, for the record.

Ok, do it. Or just keep pulling things out of your butt. Your call.
    Sure. Wait a minute to assemble the posts from that Atlanta and Boston games.

...and here we go again with the head in the sand...

I'm not even referring to moral issues. I'm referring to his immaturity issues not even related to his earlier legal troubles.
    Wow. What does this have to do with my post Kstat. I don't have my head in the sand, I have just already heard this BS. You don't know Lance Stephenson. And that's all that needs to be said. What he does on the court is the only thing we all have knowledge of. So lets keep it to that.

BTW, Nuntius, pay close attention to Kstat. He is exactly what I'm talking about. He's bringing up immaturity issues from last season, just because I was semi supportive of Lance. That's a hater if I ever seen one.

I never said that Lance can be labeled as a bust, for the record.

Sure. Wait a minute to assemble the posts from that Atlanta and Boston games.
    O I C, just giving Lance props on a good game is out of line. My bad, I misunderstood.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    What's the consensus on Gordon Hayward? I haven't watched him, but I ran across his numbers last night and they weren't what I'd expect. Anything I should know, from people who have actually seen him?
    Smart player, good bench guy getting starts and sometimes starter minutes. This is cause Jazz is weak at the 3 since AK-47 is no longer there(Great for Gordon). He covers the floor, set screens, rotates very well, all around smart player.

Defense is a little weak. He seems to avoid contact on both sides of the floor, sometimes for the good tho, Example, he may pull up on a fast break for a short jump shot, instead of taken to the hole to draw a foul, there again he may finish strong with a dunk. He reads the floor and player(s) spacing at a veteran level BB IQ that a lot of vets will never have. He will take a charge, but I haven't seen him fail at it much. Another words, he makes sure he has position before doing it or he let's them by or he just fouls them. Blocking shots has not been in his game much, yet.

The best thing I can say about him is he totally plays within himself, he rarely hurts the team.

The worst thing I'd say is he could stand to be more aggressive on both ends of the floor, but he has been showing improvement as of late.

He will retire with a long career in the NBA. As a starter will be up to him on how hard he wants to work at it on a physical aspect.

I would love to have Hayward working the 2 and 3 for us off the bench right now.

Hope this helps!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    What's the matter? Jimmer steal your girl or something?
    You must have never seen Jimmers lady. I wish I had a girl that looked like that

Edit: Plus George Hill >>> Jimmer
    Last edited by CreekShow; 01-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    I Bleed Blue

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This. I think Jimmer would be good in San Antonio or even here if he could accept not having the ball for the majority of the time. I think he would be deadly off of Roy and DWest screens.
    Shouldnt we wait to call him a bust? He probably is in the wrong system because he is not experienced playing off the ball. He is a ball dominate player. We might be able to use him because he can shoot. Nobody on our team is a real shooter.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

O I C, just giving Lance props on a good game is out of line. My bad, I misunderstood.
    hm...defensive much?

You realize your own paranoid rants are coming off worse than the people you accuse of "hating," right?

Who calls a 2nd round pick a "bust," anyway? Has anyone ever used that term to describe Lance?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...an excuse needs to be made for someone who's pro career is less than a month old?

Which Pacer first round pick have we given up on in less than a month? Don't worry, I'll wait....
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...haskisc01.html

I do recall there being a "we" in there, somewhere....

Besides, Haskin I believe had injury problems.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do recall there being a "we" in there, somewhere....

Besides, Haskin I believe had injury problems.
    It was in jest really, I agree with your argument.

But I did give up on Haskin when they called his name and, as the 14th pick in the draft, he wasn't even at the draft!

Sports Logo

BTW, Nuntius, pay close attention to Kstat. He is exactly what I'm talking about. He's bringing up immaturity issues from last season, just because I was semi supportive of Lance. That's a hater if I ever seen one.
    1) For all I know, he could be referring to his immaturity on the court which led him playing at 1000 MPH in the first 5 games that led to go 0/9. Personally, I wouldn't judge him over such a small sample but it didn't help to make a good impression to me as someone who is watching his first serious year of Pacers basketball.

2) Even if he is a hater (which is not something I conclude from his posts but anyway), it has nothing to do with what I said earlier. Frankly, I don't get the impression that the forum is filled with Lance haters.

Giving Lance credit in a good game is not out of line. I've given him props in the last 5 games because he was able to play within his head. I have dedicated a lot of lines for Stephenson in my Indiana Pacers corner in a Greek basketball forum and the latest ones were pretty positive about his play.

However, the following were quite over the line.

Let me re-post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Lance Stephenson is leading the team in +/- at +9. He's simply unstoppable out there; a one-man wrecking crew. I propose that Demolition Man become his new nickname. Teams shudder in fear whenever he steps on the court. A.J. Price sits back─from the end of the bench, naturally─and watches in awe.
    This was after the second Celtics game when Lance 2 points (on 1/3), 2 assists, 1 rebound and 1 block.

Also, watch how this poster exploits this opportunity to bash on another player on our roster, namely A.J. Price.

Now watch the above being talked about ad absurdum after his great performance against the Hawks:

Has stubby, nonathletic, 25-year-old A.J. Price ever had an NBA game as good as Lance's game last night?

Lance may not be there yet, but he at least has the physical tools and the skills to develop into something worthwhile. A.J. Price not only flat-out sucks, he has nothing to make me believe he'll ever be anything more than what he currently is.

How many of those games came while shooting over 70% from the field, while also combining for 8+ assists and rebounds?

Fun Fact of the Day: Despite pretending to be a point guard and shooting a horrific 35.6% from the field, A.J. Price still managed to finish second on the team in FGA per-minute last year. He was also fourth in assists-per-minute.

Who was #1 in assists-per-minute, you ask? Some 20-year-old punk rookie named Lance Stephenson.

Price's upside is mediocre third-stringer. Lance's downside is decent backup.
    "You should probably go look at this small sample-size two-years-ago where A.J. Price managed not to embarrass himself and ignore the rest of his career where he has."

I'll get right on that...
    See what I'm talking about? Over-stating one player's performance and bashing another player in the same time.

Personally, I choose not to take a side on the Price vs Stephenson debate. I've liked them both in some games and in some other games I thought they were detrimental for the team. In the end, we won anyway so I was happy.

PS: This may seem like I'm calling the quoted poster out. It's nothing like that as I have nothing against the guy. I couldn't have anything against him anyway as we have never interacted. It's just that those posts of him struck me quite bad.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not a Lance hater, I still have hopes that he can be a solid rotational player, but I'd trade him for Jimmer in a split second. Of course Sac management might hurt themselves laughing.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    Edit: Plus George Hill >>> Jimmer
    It goes without a question at the moment, I think

PD: Where any thread can turn into a Lance thread.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    PD: Where any thread can turn into a Lance thread.

As much as I have helped this thread to turn into this, it surely made me laugh a bit.

Who calls a 2nd round pick a "bust," anyway? Has anyone ever used that term to describe Lance?
    I agree that a second round pick shouldn't bet called a bust, however people have called Lance (James White, magnum rolle as well) just that. Mostly the people who do this are trying to make Bird look bad. Making the roster is more than a lot of our previous 2nd round picks have accomplished.

In our history , especially before Bird took over, our second round picks have been a roll of the dice, typically on some young Euro center(I don't think we have ever gotten lucky). If Stanko can play this team could really use a 7'0 backup center about now.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.