Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Age
    23
    Posts
    520

    Default School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women


  2. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    That is so stupid.

  3. #3
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,316

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Heard that on the radio. So dumb. There are a lot of teams that are the Cougars. It's an animal for fark's sake.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  4. #4
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Actually, considering the new use of the word, it's the TEAM that should be offended being called Cougars...

    But it's all good... They have settled on calling the team the Milfs...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    The pussification of America continues....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,076

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pussification of America continues....
    Make sure you pick up your participation trophy before you exit the thread.

  9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Make sure you pick up your participation trophy before you exit the thread.
    What else do you want me to say?

    It's a dumb ruling. America is way too sensitive about a lot of things, IMO.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  11. #8
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What else do you want me to say?

    It's a dumb ruling. America is way too sensitive about a lot of things, IMO.
    I think he was agreeing with you. A participation trophy is very, very pussified.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    I'm such an idiot....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    I thought he was making a snide remark and I was like why did he "Thank" my post.



    I'm sorry.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,597

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  18. #12
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,444
    Mood

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    We are getting way too politically correct nowdays as a society. No matter what you call it someone is always offended.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are getting way too politically correct nowdays as a society. No matter what you call it someone is always offended.
    As a member of society I'm insulted by your accusation.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    ... oh that was supposed to be green....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #15
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    That is some awful reporting. Just terrible. Thankfully, the author includes the following note at the end:

    UPDATE: A copy of the board's minutes was forwarded to us. It notes that there were many calls and emails from parents and others opposing Cougars, in part because of "the negative double entendre of the word 'cougar.' " But it should be pointed out that Cougars also was rejected because it was decided that mascot and the new school's blue-and-white colors were too close to those of BYU.
    If a story seems too ridiculous to be true, it usually is. Let's all settle down.

    If there's some society-wide problem here, it's the sensationalization of the news cycle.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,076

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    I don't know why you're calling the story not true. It say's clearly states that part of the reason they passed on Cougars was because it was offensive to women.

    " But it should be pointed out that Cougars also was rejected because it was decided that mascot and the new school's blue-and-white colors were too close to those of BYU.
    Regardless if it was the reason, or one of the reasons, it's still ridiculous and it's just another example of how stupid we've become as a nation. The fact that they had to even discuss it's double meaning is just dumb.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  27. #17
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,466

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    What should be offensive to women is whe the call the girls'/women's teams names like cougarettes and such when there is no such thing.

  28. #18
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    I've not heard that... It's usually the 'Lady' Cougars... or whatever name that I hear when talking about the girls' teams.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  29. #19
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Plus isn't it a compliment to call a middle-aged woman a cougar?

    It means she looks gooooooood.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  30. #20
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,303

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless if it was the reason, or one of the reasons, it's still ridiculous and it's just another example of how stupid we've become as a nation. The fact that they had to even discuss it's double meaning is just dumb.
    Agreed. The fact people were "offended" by a name of a freaking animal is astounding. Are we really that stupid?

    The people who were offended and complained should have just been laughed at and they moved on.

    I can understand if a school had a team name of the n-word why people would be offended, but Cougars? Really?

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:


  32. #21
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is some awful reporting. Just terrible. Thankfully, the author includes the following note at the end:



    If a story seems too ridiculous to be true, it usually is. Let's all settle down.

    If there's some society-wide problem here, it's the sensationalization of the news cycle.
    Additionally, the kids chose the name 'Cougars' because:

    They also said that the Cougar is also a mascot for three other Utah schools, plus Brigham Young University, whose school colors are also blue and white. Corner Canyon High School is the first in Utah to use the Charger as its mascot.
    And more to, I guess, the point of the thread:



  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  34. #22
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,444
    Mood

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    I went through a Cougar phase in the Army my first two years in Germany and I don't think that they would be offended. Only to be young again......

  35. #23
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

    Someone forgot to tell my high school, Greenfield-Central.... I'm in favor of changing the name to the Pumas
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Similar Threads

  1. Chad Ford's Mock 5.0 6/16/10
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
  2. The PD NBA Draft - #10 Milwaukee
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 6
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  5. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #2 - Miami
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •