Thread: Parking Feb 4th game vs Orlando

Default Parking Feb 4th game vs Orlando

With the Superbowl in town, does anyone know if the usual parking garages/lots for the Pacer's game will be available?

TIA

billbradley

Default Re: Parking Feb 4th game vs Orlando

Not available. My spot I have from work isn't even available that weekend.

I live off 13th and College, so my friends who live in ripple are coming over and we're taking the bus to the game. It's like a 10 minute bus ride to the Fieldhouse. From ripple 30-45 and so on. IndyGo is free SB weekend. I would recommend using it because parking/traffic wil be absolutely insane if not impossible.

There are also parking hubs that will have shuttles taking people to hotels and events. "Park and Ride" reservations are $2 now, but will jump to $10. Here is the website...

http://www.indianapolissuperbowl.com/parking-downtown/

And here is the IndyGo SB schedule where you can type in departure and destination...

http://www.indygo.net/pages/public-t...welcome-aboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have parking passes for those games, so the Virginia Avenue garage is open, at least. How full it is, how easy it will be to get there, and what prices it will charge is something else.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Simon Malls is also doing a free shuttle from Greenwood Park Mall, The Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing, and Clay Terrace to Circle Centre for those in outlying areas who can't take advantage of the IndyGo service.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anyone know how they are going to handle taxis? Are there going to be stands set up? I'm gonna need a taxi to get me back to Carmel that night. I'd imagine I won't be the only one, but I've heard stories from past super bowls in other cities that taxis can be hard to get especially out to the suburbs, but when you consider that pretty much all of the city/state's major wealth is in a suburb of Indianapolis you'd have to imagine they will have a good taxi system going, or at least I'd hope so.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-19-2012 at 11:07 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know how they are going to handle taxis? Are there going to be stands set up? I'm gonna need a taxi to get me back to Carmel that night.
    I was thinking about that. I would think/hope they are well prepared for how many people had to get hotels in surrounding areas and flood downtown with taxis and taxi stations. I'm going to call the downtown taxi service I usually use and get an idea of how available they will be and what preperations they made. I'll post my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I was thinking about that. I would think/hope they are well prepared for how many people had to get hotels in surrounding areas and flood downtown with taxis and taxi stations. I'm going to call the downtown taxi service I usually use and get an idea of how available they will be and what preperations they made. I'll post my findings.
    Thanks, I'm interested to hear what they say. I'm getting downtown via a limo since it's my birthday and some of my friends decided to splurge, but we couldn't get one back that night because once it goes past midnight it counts as super bowl sunday and they are making you do TWELVE HOUR minimums on limos. So I hope the taxis are ready.

Does anyone know how they are going to handle taxis? Are there going to be stands set up? I'm gonna need a taxi to get me back to Carmel that night. I'd imagine I won't be the only one, but I've heard stories from past super bowls in other cities that taxis can be hard to get especially out to the suburbs, but when you consider that pretty much all of the city/state's major wealth is in a suburb of Indianapolis you'd have to imagine they will have a good taxi system going, or at least I'd hope so.
    http://www.indianapolissuperbowl.com...-alternatives/

Scroll down to the point where it talks about taxis. Stands will be set up. There'll be one on Virginia between Penn and Delaware right by the Fieldhouse. There'll also be one on Washington between West and Senate by the convention center.

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Are you guys telling me that the normally $5 bail bonds lot behind the Conseco Garage, isn't going to be available?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Are you guys telling me that the normally $5 bail bonds lot behind the Conseco Garage, isn't going to be available?
    I think that's a safe assumption.

-Lance Stephenson

Uh yeah. I've heard people saying parking is going to be $100 in places. I have made no plans to go to this one.

So will the Bankers Life Garage be open? Maybe they will make you show your tickets to park in the garage? That would be really nice of the franchise.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Uh yeah. I've heard people saying parking is going to be $100 in places. I have made no plans to go to this one.
    Saw this on Twitter today, “@Walkerman75: @bkravitz rumor is that bowl parking is over $400 at star garage now...any truth to that?? even market and delaware is going up now!”

One thing to note about the Virginia Ave. Parking Garage: If you park there for the Feb. 4 game, you must vacate the garage by 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 5 or your vehicle will be towed.

So don't stay out too late partying after the game.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to coop-a-loop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by coop-a-loop View Post
    One thing to note about the Virginia Ave. Parking Garage: If you park there for the Feb. 4 game, you must vacate the garage by 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 5 or your vehicle will be towed.

So don't stay out too late partying after the game.
    Normal prices?
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by datguy View Post
    With the Superbowl in town, does anyone know if the usual parking garages/lots for the Pacer's game will be available?

TIA
    http://www.parkwhiz.com/

Got my parking pass at the Denison garage directly next to Bankers life for $13.00. You have to show your ticket to get in. Parking times for me is 4pm to 3 hours after the game ends. I called Denison to see if I could get in early that day because of the Superbowl. They said they are changing the site and tickets to $20.00 but it allows you park at 9am to 5am. Really nice deal if you have tickets and want to walk around before and after the game.
    Last edited by LazyDaze; 01-20-2012 at 01:33 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LazyDaze For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I think that's a safe assumption.
    But the normal $100 Bail Bonds lot behind the Fieldhouse will be wide open that night.

You people need to move downtown and end your suffering.

$400 for the Star garage? How about give me $200 and I'll shuttle you to the Star garage instead. Seriously, that's barely "downtown parking" at that point.

billbradley

Thanks, I'm interested to hear what they say. I'm getting downtown via a limo since it's my birthday and some of my friends decided to splurge, but we couldn't get one back that night because once it goes past midnight it counts as super bowl sunday and they are making you do TWELVE HOUR minimums on limos. So I hope the taxis are ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    http://www.indianapolissuperbowl.com...-alternatives/

Scroll down to the point where it talks about taxis. Stands will be set up. There'll be one on Virginia between Penn and Delaware right by the Fieldhouse. There'll also be one on Washington between West and Senate by the convention center.
    I have not got a chance to call, but this may sum it up...

Commentary: Super Bowl visitors shouldn't expect to flag down a cab at the curb here

Where are all the cabs?

I've been standing at a busy intersection Downtown for a half-hour, trying to hail a taxi. Hundreds of cars are hurtling by. The traffic light has changed more than a dozen times. It's getting cold and dark. But I have yet to see a single cab.

Of course, if you live in Indianapolis, you probably know I'm doing this all wrong. If you want to get a cab ride, your best bet is to pick up the phone and call Yellow or AAA Ambassador or one of several dozen other cab companies. Or you could walk to a big hotel, where cabs often line up out front, 10 or 12 deep.

But what if you're visiting Indianapolis for the Super Bowl from New York or Boston or another major city? You just might have to learn this lesson the hard way. You could stand out in the cold for a long time, just like I did.

It's an issue that tens of thousands of out-of-towners might be facing here -- especially if they try to hail a cab somewhere other than Downtown's two designated Super Bowl taxi stands.

To see how easy it is to get from place to place, I spent a few days riding cabs around Indianapolis.

One time, I sat in a restaurant in Broad Ripple, pulled out my phone and dialed a cab company to see how long I would have to wait for a ride to Fountain Square.

Another time, I walked to a Downtown hotel and asked a front-desk worker to help get me a cab to the Fashion Mall.

Yet another time, I called a taxi company in the afternoon and ordered a ride for the next morning, at my house, to go to work Downtown.

In every case, I eventually made it to my destination. But some experiences were tougher than others.

Especially this time, trying to find a cab as I stood at a busy six-way intersection at the corner of Massachusetts, Alabama and Vermont, near Marsh (formerly O'Malia's) Supermarket and the Old Point Tavern, alongside the Cultural Trail.

I swept my eyes up and down the streets, searching for any hint that the city offered cab service. I saw little evidence; none was visible in any direction. As the time dragged on, I started to get cold and impatient. Was I doing something wrong?

It couldn't be the time of day. It was 5:30 p.m., the height of evening rush hour.

It couldn't be the location. This area wasn't some desolate industrial park. It was a cultural district, with galleries, bars, restaurants and coffee houses.

Finally, after 33 minutes, I saw a cab heading toward me. I stepped into the street, raised my hand and whistled. The driver pulled over and stopped.

"Can you take me to the Vogue Theatre in Broad Ripple?" I asked.

"Let's go!" he said, and we took off.

He turned up the heater, smiled at me and started the meter. I asked him where all the cabs were.

He told me cabs seldom drive up and down Massachusetts Avenue this time of day. He advised me to save myself trouble next time and walk to a hotel, where cabs can be found around the clock.

He's not the only one with that advice.

Adam Collins, license administrator for the Indianapolis Department of Code Enforcement, later told me something I already knew: that this is not the kind of town where you can step out to the corner and flag down a taxi.

When I got to Broad Ripple, I walked a few blocks to a favorite eatery and ordered a snack. Then I called a cab.

"I'll send a car right over," the dispatcher said. She wasn't lying. Less than four minutes later, a cab pulled up out front. I hustled out, carrying my food.

"Can you take me to Fountain Square?" I asked the driver.

He gave me a blank look. I repeated it twice. He had no idea what or where Fountain Square was. "Just tell me which way to go," he said.

We cruised toward Downtown. We rode for 15 minutes, finally hitting Monument Circle.

"Head over that way," I said. But it wasn't that easy. It was now about 6:30 p.m., and the roads were packed. Up ahead, several lanes were restricted, and security guards were waving traffic to one side.

My driver looked left and right, trying to figure out how to get to Fountain Square. He had a GPS mounted on the windshield but didn't enter an address. We sat in traffic, inching ahead slowly. The meter hit $22.

"That's OK, just take me back to the Circle," I said.

He swung around, pulled over and parked and took my money. I walked four blocks back to work, where my car was parked in the garage.
    I've also heard we didn't get as many cabs as we were supposed to and they are trying to extend IndyGo hours.

billbradley

Hopefully this part of the article works out well and the taxi hubs are more than enough.

It's an issue that tens of thousands of out-of-towners might be facing here -- especially if they try to hail a cab somewhere other than Downtown's two designated Super Bowl taxi stands.

Ha, I'm sure they will have more cabs than usual, but I'm just imagining a New Yorker trying to hail a cab in downtown Indy. Just doesn't work that way here, does it?

(No complaints from my end, though.)

I'd much rather go to a taxi stand or to the front of a hotel to get a cab, JMO though. I've done the hailing the taxi thing in bigger cities, and I don't like it as much. If the rumor that the city will only have 700 taxis on hand for the game, then I think the best bet is going to be to lineup at the taxi stands and wait.