Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you grade Frank Vogel?

Default How would you grade Frank Vogel?

There seems to be some frustration with him tonight, so how would you rate him so far? You can include just this season, or look back to last season, whatever you prefer.

he isn't perfect by any means, but I think he is the right coach for this team, he is very passionate, the players have bought into his system and they like him, that says a lot I think.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: How would you grade Frank Vogel?

About a B. Troubling offense, impressive defense, up and down in-game adjustments. It sure doesn't seem like anything has come out of this extra time to practice. 9-4 is still a very good record.

Too early to tell. Unlike most of the other coaches for the other teams, he never had the benefit of a full training camp. Not this season or past seasons.

Mucho benefit of the doubt for Frank.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I absolutely respect Frank, but I think his positives have a lot more to do with him frankly not being JOB than they do with him being some kind of strategic mastermind. Look at our roster and schedule, it's not like 9-4's some miraculous feat.

That's part of (the biggest?) part of being an NBA coach though, it's a lot more massaging of egos than it is actually coaching guys most of the time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I would give Frank a C+. I really dislike the rotation based on minutes.When someone is hot u let them play it out. Our offense hasn't clicked yet, makes me think maybe it's to basic. upside is they believe in the system and they play some great D. My grade would go up if they got rid of Jones

Banned

B seems about right to me, but I wish he could find a groove with the offense soon. We go extended periods with poor offense settling for jumpers or ending up with guys we don't expect scoring from taking shots. I would like to see Roy/West at minimum of 26 combined attempts a night and Tyler/Hill at 16 a game.

23-21 W
    23-12 W
    25-29 W
    18-28 L
    18-16 W Shot great vs Nets
    17-13 L
    20-17 W West only took 5 shots
    24-20 W
    26-6 L Hill DNP/Hansbrough Eye injury
    18-13 W blowout
    21-17 W
    23-13 W blowout
    19-10 L

B sounds about right to me, too. This is by no means a trend, but last night the failure to figure out the zone has to be his responsibility to some extent. Yes the players have to execute, but it didn't appear that they were all too confident in how they should even begin to do it.

I think the offensive issue and potentially in-game tactical & in-game lineup decisions bear watching over time, and our offensive struggles to open the year and no opportunity to see us against a true top tier opponent merit the B.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I believe this is the second "grade Vogel" thread of the season. The first one was after the Heat loss and then after this game. Not too sure if after the two worst losses of the season is a good time for this type of thread

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Vogel's grade = F

He should have had Hill, Jones, George, West and Hibbert the last 2 minutes against the Zone.

Needed Hill and Jones slashing the paint, breaking down the Zone.
    West rotating to a 15 footer left side.
    George playing in the paint for hops, rebounds and rotating to 12-15 foot on the right side.
    Hibbert manning up.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why do people post these things only after mistakes are made?

Better to say "we'll evaluate 10/20/30 games in" or whatever rather than reacting to a bad game by a young coach (and a team that couldn't execute) like the sky is falling.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do people post these things only after mistakes are made?

Better to say "we'll evaluate 10/20/30 games in" or whatever rather than reacting to a bad game by a young coach (and a team that couldn't execute) like the sky is falling.
    Failure should never be overlooked!
    I do believe we have had positive threads about coaches too.

The team is relevant again, fans are returning to the games, a team that has performed sub-.500 for several years in a row is now double the amount of wins than it has losses. Yes, there are personnel differences, but the team's 'star' player hasn't played like a star player all year, and the team still lacks a play-making point guard.

The coach is doing things besides the Xs and Os that have improved morale, given confidence to the community, and caused some ranking gurus to place the Pacers somewhere in the top 10 in the league. Also, despite the inability to beat the zone strategy last night, the consistent player rotations and defined character of the team has given the team a greater cohesiveness than they have had since Sir Reggie retired.

Vogel is a big part of this. A- so far on his "9-week" report card, with the mid-term grade to be given at the All Star break.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

he was horrible last night

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

C. I was left with a bad feeling when, before the start of the season, Frank said they didn't work much on the offense and wanted to "keep it simple". I understand the short training camp and crammed schedule as reasoning for this, but I was a little worried that it would translate to what we saw last night.

We need some solid plays that get the ball to Hibbert in the post. We also need some legit pick and roll/pick and pop plays. I understand Collison is not the best PG for this, but Id appreciate an attempt. Also, players need to be coached to set good effective picks. So many times I see glass picks that might as well not have been set. Its Vogel's job to have at least a few set plays we can count on in situations like the 4th quarter last night, and hold players accountable who dont screen correctly or box out for defensive rebounds.

I actually think Lance might be the type of player, who given the ball and with a few simple plays hammered out, could get the ball to Hibbert in the post, and run pick and rolls/pops with West. He seems aggressive and confident in his handling and passing, moreso than Collison. Even if we traded for a more proven court general, I wonder if Vogel has the ability to develop offensive plays for such a team. I cant help wondering if "keeping it simple" is just Vogel hiding his offensive weaknesses.
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

Overall, I think he's done a pretty good job. He needs to stop leaving the starters on the bench for long stretches.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Overall: B+ or A-

Really he has done a phenomenal job. Would probably say an A if it weren't for last night...He dropped the ball last night. But overall I'm still very happy with him. I hope he gets the team rallied for golden state.

F- WORST COACH IN LEAGUE MUST BE FIRED OKAY BUH BYE ^_^

young team, young coach. bad shooting qtr.

happens

one game does not make vogel a good or bad coach. so far he's done a pretty good job. by the end of the season we will have a good idea if he is the boy genius we all hoped he was. the reaction of the players after the game seemed to indicate he still has the team, and they are still listening to him.

this was more a case of youthful BB-ignorance and bad shooting than poor coaching.

I=incomplete

23. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

If it's after a loss he gets an F, if its after a win then he gets an A

This forum is easy enough to figure out

So far..B+/A- range

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I always grade coaches on this thought process..."look at his peers and decide how he compares..."frank compares well. Really well.

Banned

Vogel is an Angel I could only give him an A+

In all seriousness, I'd probably give Vogel a higher grade than the players right now.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

To this point I agree with most people, he has been a solid B. With all things considered, and being a rookie head coach of a young team that is pretty good. I don't think he is getting the most out of the players yet, but he has had a strong start to his career.