Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the hammer - hang in there

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Here comes the hammer - hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, we play Orlando 3 times in 12 days, possibly without Jeff for any of them?

I was thinking perhaps we are not going to run the risk of Jeff not getting hurt against Dwight, and right now we are rejuvenating him, preparing for the rest of the season. Idk.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    Im kinda tired of people telling others what kind of expectations they should have. If someone thinks we should win 50 games, who cares, its their expectations. If someone wants to start or bench someone, again who cares. Its not like Vogel is in here doing research. So many people get tight after anyone mentions EJ or throws another possible trade idea out. If you dont like what someone suggests, tell us why or dont post in the thread. I just see so many people chastising others for the dumbest reasons.

Lets not forget this is a discussion board.
    You would do well to remember that this is a discussion board too.

What I mean by that is - making statements about what is reasonable to expect and responding to other people's expectations is also part of what happens on a discussion board. Disagreeing with someone's expectations or opinions is pretty similar to telling them what expectations they should have - you are telling them their expectations are WRONG and suggesting that yours are RIGHT. Should we not disagree on a discussion board? Of course not. Even going so far as to state you think someone shouldn't say what they are saying is par for the course.

So what you seem to be saying is that you are tired of certain types of discussion. I'm tired of certain types of discussion too. I think the board has gotten far too chippy and people don't respond to one another with enough courtesy. However, putting up with discussion styles you don't like is also crucial to accepting that this is a discussion board populated by a lot of different people.

Now, to the schedule. I like Hick's week by week approach and think his projections are reasonable. I do expect us to lose to elite teams more often than not, but I also expect us to compete and not get completely blown out of the water (ala the Heat game) most times. I also expect us to win against similar or inferior talent teams more often than not, and my expectation that we at least look like we belong in losses is even higher when we're talking about these tiers of teams.

I suspect our team and coaching staff aims to win every game they play. I hope they are taking it one game at a time. I doubt that they are satisfied with a loss of any sort, especially with the way Vogel has them playing and thinking. But that doesn't mean Vogel is a loser or encouraging a losing mentality when he steps out of individual game mode to look at the big picture. Part of fostering success as a leader is setting realistic goals that you can meet or exceed. .500 on the road is that for this team at this time.

I'd be satisfied with 15-8/14-7 going into the first week of February.
    Last edited by gummy; 01-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

lol
    Last edited by Kemo; 01-18-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Kemo, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even think of MC Hammer or "Hammer Time!" when I saw the thread title. Shame on me.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK, if we're doing MC Hammer stuff here .... I still laugh about this one. This is a Live TV show for those who don't know, I was watching it and I about fell off my couch laughing at this .....

The quality is horrible, but it's the audio that's priceless. Can't help but post this.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Let's start with the West Coast trip. I'd like us to go 2-1 there. Then, we can build on that.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Pacers better not lose 6 of the next 7. If they can't do any better then that then Larry needs to take a real hard look at some players that can get the job done.

Off season is up now, it's time to get the offense going and start performing like we all know they can. Pacers keep the defense up and increase their shot % by 10%, not to many teams will be able to overcome the Pacers.

1-6 my a s s!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I like to break it down to week by week.

@SAC tonight, @GS Friday
    @LAL Sun, vsORL Tuesday, @CHI Wednesday, @BOS Friday
    @ORL Sun, vsNJN Tuesday, @MIN Wednesday, @DAL Friday, vsORL Saturday

I'm guessing 2-0 this week, 2-2 next week, 2-3 the week after that, for a 6-5 stretch from now until Feb 4th, leaving us at 15-8 heading into the first full week of February.

This is of course assuming, Jeff Foster aside, our rotation stays healthy.
    Welcome back!
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I guess that makes Vogel a loser since he said their goal is to be .500 on the road.
    Vogel said he wanted to be at least 500 on the road. His expectations are higher. They should be if you truly think you can win the east. The team that wins the east will be better than 500 on the road. What I am saying is that if you say you would be happy getting 2 out of 4 on the road, you are settling for mediocre. Why would you do that?

"Separation Week" is upon us! Two games vs the Magic, a regular season rematch in Chicago, and another trip into the always hostile TD Banknorth Garden. We'll have a chance to separate ourselves from a playoff-positioning rival in Orlando (also sitting at 11-4) and a chance to narrow the perceived gap between us and the Bulls. Then, we'll have an opportunity to win the season series against Boston.

Improving to 6-0 at home and remaining only one of two teams league-wide without a home loss would be nice. Removing Chicago as the only other perfect home team would be even better.

An 0-4 week would be disastrous, but a 4-0 week would be miraculous. And by miraculous, I don't mean that it'd take a miracle to pull off (though it will be extremely difficult), but that it would do wonders for our confidence going further. I'd imagine we'd be in the contender discussion - and rightfully so - with a strong enough four-game stretch here.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 01-23-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Sports Logo

Let's start with improving to 6-0 and then winning at least one of the next 3 away games. Do that and we would be good. Do better and we would be great.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

i say we take 1 of the orlando games and the boston game.... heres hoping that Drose, Deng, Noah and Taj don't play Wednesday 2-2 will be good anything above that is icing on the cake

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Candace & Sara > Olivia

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

We have a small benefit in the fact that the Magic play tonight before they play against us tomorrow. I think winning that will be huge, winning it and the back to back against Chicago in their house is probably asking for too much but that sure would be sweet to take down two of the top dogs in the East a notch in a back to back situation.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    We have a small benefit in the fact that the Magic play tonight before they play against us tomorrow. I think winning that will be huge, winning it and the back to back against Chicago in their house is probably asking for too much but that sure would be sweet to take down two of the top dogs in the East a notch in a back to back situation.
    Deng is expected out for an extended period of time, and Rose has admitted he won't be 100 percent for the rest of the season, several other bulls players are suffering injuries too. It's not as out of the question as it may appear.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Candace & Sara > Olivia
    Agreed!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I like to break it down to week by week.

@SAC tonight, @GS Friday
    @LAL Sun, vsORL Tuesday, @CHI Wednesday, @BOS Friday
    @ORL Sun
    , vsNJN Tuesday, @MIN Wednesday, @DAL Friday, vsORL Saturday

I'm guessing 2-0 this week, 2-2 next week, 2-3 the week after that, for a 6-5 stretch from now until Feb 4th, leaving us at 15-8 heading into the first full week of February.

This is of course assuming, Jeff Foster aside, our rotation stays healthy.
    EGAD! That is a tough stretch of schedule. We're looking at 4 of the best teams in the NBA, one of them 3 times, all within a two weeks and mostly on the road? If we can go 4-4 or better, I'll be pretty happy. Really, pretty impressed if it's better than 4-4.

The best part about this is that last year, we would've been hoping to beat the Nets and Wolves, and pretty much conceding the rest of these games to losses.

If Roy brings the same level of play he did last night, and Danny and G3 can continue to shoot efficiently, I really do like our chances.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Surprises, injuries, let downs are always possible, but I really think we'll go at least 2-2 over the next four. 3-1 wouldn't surprise me at all. 4-0/0-4/1-3 would.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Obviously this is a good time to bump this thread.

Chicago is tonight and could be pretty darn painful. Just remember that we are just a few weeks from being past this and to a point where things would appear to grow more favorable every week.

Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The thanks is for the MC Hammer reference. This is the part of the year where we are going to take our lumps and figure out what we really need to do to be successful. If we can't make the proper adjustments and utilize those adjustments in our late season stretch to get comfortable with them, then we are in trouble come playoff time.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I pray McBob doesn't have a monster game Sunday. Nothing personally against Josh but the board will go nuts.
    Because it will indicate that the front office indeed made a mistake from the view of keeping the most talent and flexibility on the roster. It's great for Josh, but as the LA game showed he really helps make a 18-20 minute impact most nights. We could have used him vs LA and ORL.

In one sense I understand someone not wanting to hear it, but on the other hand there is a reason why someone like me would say something. Several of us didn't think they should let him go and choices to let someone go are just as valid as who they kept. Being upset about letting the wrong guy go is just the same as someone complaining about someone still on the roster.

ALL FANS should have been bothered to see Josh putting together a mini-highlight reel in the 2nd quarter. At least we saw Roy take it to him later in the game, but we knew he wasn't a great answer as a backup C against guys with Roy's size.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I haven't heard about Rose's injury. What's up?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I haven't heard about Rose's injury. What's up?
    He played Monday. I can't imagine he won't tonight.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

So go figure, they pull out the Bulls win but get thumped by a nearly empty Celtics roster.

1 game left on the 3 major road trips (4, 3, 3). Nothing more than 2 games away from home the rest of the way after that.

And again, in terms of schedule expectations March and April as much better. April would p*** people off if it was the schedule a rival team got. It's pretty cake.

Hicks
    2-0 (was 1-1)
    2-2 (was 2-2)
    2-3...I'd feel really good about that ending and still being well above .500.

I feared 1-6 and thought 2-5 or 3-4 was very reasonable. At least the worst they can do is the high end of my expectations range which is something to be happy about.

And the painful or ugly losses are exactly what it looks like when the schedule hammer hurts you. This is what it feels like for other teams in the Pacers' range. One night the Sixers, Hawks or Magic think it's falling apart, the next they are riding high.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-28-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Philly is on a 7 game home stand and have alreadyg gotten to play the Wizards 3 times. They have had a few tough games but mostly they have had an easy schedule. However it looks like they are about to enter the "hammer" time of their schedule as well.

So let's see how they do.

I was very dissapointed last night but overall it's really hard to be to upset considering the schedule and road games we've played.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13