Thread: Pacers use break to polish rough edges on offense

Banned

Default Pacers use break to polish rough edges on offense

Great to know that he is working on offense now.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/caught_web...012_01_16.html

Pacers use break to polish rough edges on offense

Jan. 16, 2012

Up until now, this has been the schedule of Allen Iverson's dreams: many games, few practices.

That changes today for the Pacers, at least temporarily. With their longest downtime between games of the season other than the All-Star break, they will have the much-needed opportunity to spend some quality time on the practice floor as they prepare for a brutal stretch of schedule.

With 12 games in 20 days to open the season, Coach Frank Vogel has had to take a novel approach to the occasional off day: more film study, less full-speed work on court. It isn't the ideal way to correct problems as they arise, or polish obvious rough edges. That's why, after giving the players Sunday off, he's looking forward to a sort of mini-camp.

"Monday and Tuesday will be practices where we try to grow our offense a little bit, cover some things on the defensive end that we need to get better at and just take advantage of the time to improve," Vogel said, adding today's workout "probably will be like a training camp practice."

"Not going to be crazy, not going to be a 3-hour practice or anything like that, but we want to take advantage of having the ability to have live action to work on things."

His top priority?

"Our offensive execution and our ability to read and space properly, probably the No. 1 thing," he said.

As good as the defense has been through the 9-3 start (they rank in the top six defensively in points, field goal percentage, blocks and steals), the offense has struggled. Indiana ranks 20th in scoring (93.2), 26th in assists (17.7) and 27th in field goal percentage (.413).

That has begun to turn in the past few games as Vogel has encouraged the players to increase the tempo. They've averaged 96 points in winning their last three including an average of 16.3 fast-break points, four above their season norm. They had a season-high 23 in the 97-83 win over Boston Saturday.

Indiana already has won more games when scoring less than 100 points (eight) than all of last season (seven).

"The total points per game is as much a byproduct of the pace of the game and we're not playing fast enough," Vogel said. "Hopefully we'll start getting our scores up into the hundreds but our defense has been very solid. I'm very pleased where we are with that."

The man most in charge of pushing the pace is point guard Darren Collison, who in the last three games has 34 points, 15 assists and just three turnovers.

"We have a lot of depth and we have guards that can push the ball up the court and get easy baskets," Collison said. "We didn't get that in our first five to seven games but we're starting to get that now. Frank has talked about getting easy points in transition to make the game easier for us and we have. George (Hill) did a good job pushing the ball up, P.G. (Paul George) did as well and I'm going to continue pushing it up."

The Pacers' fast start will be tested in the next couple of weeks, with six of the next seven and eight of 10 on the road. Indiana is 5-0 at home, 4-3 on the road.

"I'm excited with how we started," Vogel said. "Our defense is probably ahead of where we thought it would be. Our rebounding is what I thought it would be and our offense is probably behind what I thought it would be. But it was a big step (Saturday) with our guys understanding the power of the up-tempo game with the depth that we have.

"(Associate Head Coach) Brian Shaw calls it a tag-team mentality. You push the tempo, wear them down, wear them down and then boom we get somebody else fresh in there that is just as good and then that second unit wears them down. We wear teams down with physicality on the glass and in the past and with tempo. That's the identity we want to have."

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers use break to polish rough edges on offense

Loved every word.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Yah I mean, I'll say it even tho no one.else will , this team can win the title.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Getting out and running would help, but I also think they need to go to Roy Hibbert more in the half court too. I have seen him go 3-4 minutes without really touching the ball, way too often. I think he should get around 15 shots a game, but most nights it's closer to 10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yah I mean, I'll say it even tho no one.else will , this team can win the title.
    You think we can beat Miami or Chicago in a 7-game series? Yeah, nobody else will (or should) say that.

Chicago add Hamilton
    Indiana add West and Hill and ? (Smith )
    why we cant? also Boozer and Noah cant play together
    Last edited by The Rocker; 01-18-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rocker View Post
    Chicago add Hamilton
    Indiana add West and Hill and ? (Smith )
    why we cant? also Boozer and Noah cant play together
    Derrick. Rose.

Paul . George.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rocker View Post
    Paul . George.

Paul George did as good a job as you can do on DRose, but he by no means equals, or cancels him out. DRose is an other worldly player.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post

Paul George did as good a job as you can do on DRose, but he by no means equals, or cancels him out. DRose is an other worldly player.
    Yes, great shoot-first PG. Last year Heat win without chances

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post

Ahh, but we also have George Hill, who can help lock him down as well.

But the real key to stopping Rose is to get him off the court with foul trouble, and we might have the offensive weapons at guard to do that this year.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

our ability to read and space properly, probably the No. 1 thing," he said.
    Amen Frank.

You guys can do this, this team doesn't have to wait till next year. And that's coming from a fan that thought for certain this year would be the holding pattern year waiting to add more talent next summer.

It's clicking and with Danny's return to defense to go with Paul and Roy as the team's really outstanding defensive threats this team can frustrate opponents. Hill is looking 6th manish with his ability to do whatever needs done to put the team back on track, DC is hitting shots, Tyler is fighting and muscling like he does to frustrate opponents, and West has come through as the clutch guy several times in a way that actually feels somewhat Byron Scott-ish.

Scott seemed to give a very talented team a sense of confidence and conviction that they could make big plays and win tough games, and once that clicked the team really took off.

Because of all that I can see this team rising over the season to a point that they could honestly challenge the Bulls and Heat. We've seen both be vulnerable to this Pacers squad last season.

The offense has been the Pacers weak point so far, and it looks correctable. You have well defined offensive styles and roles, they just need to interact a little better and make some shots (esp Granger, West and Tyler).

It's very reasonable to think that you could have 18, 18, 16, 16 from some 4 of Danny, Roy, Paul, West, DC, Hill or Tyler on any given night. If you pair that with the defense they are playing, you've got a legit title threat.

I mean to me a top 4 finish would be incredible itself, that would mark a nice accomplishment, but I won't laugh at the idea of a surprise run to the ECF either. OTOH a team like Philly or Atlanta could just as easily send them packing in round 1.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    You think we can beat Miami or Chicago in a 7-game series? Yeah, nobody else will (or should) say that.
    Am I to take this to believe that you think we could win the West? Or were you just limiting it to teams in the East?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Am I to take this to believe that you think we could win the West? Or were you just limiting it to teams in the East?
    No, not even close.

The East has better teams at the top, but the West is incredibly deep. I think we'd be fighting for a playoff spot out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    No, not even close.

The East has better teams at the top, but the West is incredibly deep. I think we'd be fighting for a playoff spot out there.
    I just wanted to be clear on your intent there, haha. I had to do a double take when I saw it was you and you only mentioned Miami and Chicago.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Are we sure this wasn't a story from The Onion?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll let the play on the court speak for itself. Too much lip service going on.