Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we will not re-sign Roy until the offseason.

Default Roy Hibbert

Im kinda nervous that if we don't get a contract extension signed by the 25th that some desperate team is going to offer him BIG $$$. I know we can match but if its to much I don't think we will. Any one else feel the same? I don't want to loose BIG ROY.

Default Re: Roy Hibbert

I don't feel that way at all. The most any team can offer is 4/55 and we would easily match that. There is almost no chance that Roy won't be a Pacer next season.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no doubt in my mind that Roy will be a Pacer for the foreseeable future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think we could always let it be known that we plan on matching any offer Roy ends up getting and that might end up discouraging some teams. However, that could also backfiring on us and some team just say "ok we offer 4/55" and then be forced to match that although we would anyways plus we can add an extra year to that I believe. I'm kind of hoping against hope that teams realize the futility in trying to get Roy and nobody makes an offer and we can get him on the cheap. Seeing who his agent is though I have a feeling we're going to be paying top dollar for Roy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nah, I'm not too worried. The new CBA is going to be helpful in that sense that no other team is going to be able to offer him what we could, and I am pretty sure we'll match any offer. Expect us to pay 12-14 million per. Yeah, it's a lot but it doesn't cripple us financially and if Roy keeps it up he's worth it.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

thank god we're soooooo under the cap.

Once we re-sign Hibbert, Hill and George, our cap situation wont look so great
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy will be here. It's just a matter of whether it's going to be a cap friendly deal, or a Nene deal I believe.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

The board is making a big deal over something not worth worrying over.

Plenty of teams from that class have yet to extend their players and we're talking someone like Kevin Love.

Things will happen soon.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

jmo, but absent some deal like 4/40, pacers are better off waiting to see if roy's good play will continue for a whole season. spending 4/55 of cap space on 3 weeks of good play is dumb.

Sports Logo

We'll probably going to pay Roy a Nene-like deal but I have no issues with it. Roy is one of our cornerstones and as a lot of people have said "Centers do not grow in trees". Especially, a 7'2" C with great passing abilities, great post offense and good D.

Default Why we will not re-sign Roy until the offseason.

We will not re-sign Roy before the deadline because Larry is going to want to sign another marquee free agent this offseason, and the only way we will have enough space under the cap to do so is if we let Roy become a RFA.

As the Pacer's roster stands today, we will have about $10 million in cap space next offseason. This is including Roy's cap hold of $7,765,770 and George Hill's cap hold of $6,259,077. If we were to re-sign Roy today, his deal would probably start around the $12 million range, which would lower our cap space to a little under $6 million.

It really is quite simple, we will not be re-signing Roy before the deadline. Larry will go into the offseason with Roy's cap hold and will try to sign a free agent to a deal around $10 million. Roy will become a restricted free agent, and after we sign said free agent we will match any deal that is thrown at Roy. It will not matter how big Roy's contract gets at that point because we will be over the cap for the foreseeable future after re-signing him anyhow.

Anyways people are making a big deal out of nothing. Just trust in Larry to do what is best for the team, he got us to this point after all.
    Last edited by D0NT SH0OT ME; 01-18-2012 at 12:58 AM.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why we will not re-sign Roy until the offseason.

Either way, Roy will be re-signed no matter what.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes you so sure, Mr. Pollard?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ASkin_ANight For This Useful Post:

I think the reason we won't re-sign Roy right now is that he won't sign an extension. His agent is on record as saying they're going to wait until after the season.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ASkin_ANight View Post
    What makes you so sure, Mr. Pollard?
    I mean, it's pretty clear. Is it not?

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

You scared me for a second. I thought it said "Why we will not resign Roy this offseason"

Roy Hibbert - $6,471,475 250% of previous salary
    George Hill - $3,851,158 250% of previous salary

These are the cap holds from sham sports.
    http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ies/pacers.jsp

Not sure if i am missing something, but if this is the case then we would have significantly more cap room this offseason before we sign Hibbert

I agree with xIndyFan. You only re-sign Roy now if the deal is "friendly" enough to make the risk that his early season play is a fluke a risk worth taking. If Roy would take $10M per-season, I'd have him locked-up a.s.a.p.

On the other hand. if he's looking for $12M+ per-season, then you might as well wait things out. Even if he continues his current superb play, $12M per should still be enough to retain him, whereas, if he regresses, you should be able to retain him for much cheaper and not be stuck with a bad contract.

Roy started off strong last season as well. While that was under a different regime, perhaps the powers that be also want to see if he will be consistent this season.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Yeah, I remember saying that when a certain center from Kendallville, IN was up for a contract. Ya see how that worked out? I thought resigning him was a rubber stamp/done deal! In the end, we ended up with a fella you should be very familiar with.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Roy Hibbert is one of the rare guys that only comes around maybe once every decade.. Toss in the fact that he is a 7'2 Center, and you can tack on another 5+ years to that...
    To make it clear, I am not only talking about him as a player with his obvious skill and potential.. but as a 110% genuinely good dude who has a likable personality that could easily become the face of a franchise whoever he were to play for.. Not to mention his work ethic is off the charts..
    You add up all these tangibles and intangibles, and you have a guy that you want to build your franchise around..

If the Pacers were to let Roy slip from our fingers, it would be marked down in history as the worst front office blunder in Pacer's history... I'd also expect some heads to roll and some firings...

Let me put it another way .. IF, and that's an awful big if...
    But if Hibbert were to get signed to a max or near max deal with a team other than the Pacers, I would follow his career wherever he went.. Not only that, but I would end up having another favorite team to watch.. because I would be thoroughly DISGUSTED with the Pacers if they let him walk..
    I'd feel like a jilted boyfriend with feelings of betrayal... lol

I really don't like very many teams besides the Pacers.. To be honest, besides the playoffs, I don't make it a point to watch ANY other team, let alone every single game they play.... besides the Blue and Gold....

That being said , I have no doubt that the Pacer's FO will get it done when the time is right...

Last edited by Kemo; 01-17-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

One reason why I like our group of players and frown upon bringing in hired guns who care more about the money....I think Roy likes it here and will be the type of guy willing to accept a decent deal if he knows that TPTB are going to go out and try to surround Roy with the pieces needed for the team to excel for years to come with the money that they saved on him. That does not mean that I would expect him to accept ridiculous offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Roy Hibbert is one of the rare guys that only comes around maybe once every decade.. Toss in the fact that he is a 7'2 Center, and you can tack on another 5+ years to that...

Do some research on how long 7' 2"+ players last in the NBA and/or the productivity they have down the line in their careers.

I know we all kindly recall the Smits days but he is a bit of an anomaly and Hibbert plays a bit harder than he does IMO. I agree with keeping Hibbert (although some of you are a bit carried away with how valuable he is) but we also should be careful what we wish for.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    Do some research on how long 7' 2"+ players last in the NBA and/or the productivity they have down the line in their careers.

I know we all kindly recall the Smits days but he is a bit of an anomaly and Hibbert plays a bit harder than he does IMO. I agree with keeping Hibbert (although some of you are a bit carried away with how valuable he is) but we also should be careful what we wish for.
    I think you misunderstand what I'm saying..

I am saying a player like Roy with both the tangibles AND intangibles only come around once every 10-15 years in the league..

When and Who are the last 7'2 + guys to come into the NBA that made an impact like Roy is and will make as a starter?

Short answer ... not very many and not very often...

That's all I am saying..

A guy like Roy is a rarity, especially in today's NBA where the Center position is usually manned by 6'9 to 6'11 hybrid center/power forwards ..

Not very many 7+ footers in the NBA .
    And out of all the ones currently playing, how many of those are actually starter caliber players?
    Once again , not very many... I would guess maybe a handful or less..
    Last edited by Kemo; 01-18-2012 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

"such is life" SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31's Avatar

Donnie Walsh was pretty confident in resigning brad miller as well, I'm hoping we don't end up with another scot pollard. That move there cost us.
    THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU HEAR MY VOICE , NEXT TIME YOU WILL SEE MY FACE