Thread: Computer Printer... Looking for suggestions

Default Computer Printer... Looking for suggestions

I'm looking for an inkjet that has a reasonable $$$ vs ink usage price...

My current printer is a Lexmark x5650 and it has been the worst ink hog I've ever owned. My previous printer was an Epson. It seemed to be much better on the ink budget than this current pig.

I hardly print in color at all now and I use the draft setting (or 'quick print') to try and minimize ink use. And I try and ration my printing and almost always choose B/W just not to waste the color for when I need it. With all my previous printers I never give much thought to rationing my printing and when they did start getting low it didn't just seem like no time since I'd put a new cartridge/refill in the printer. Not with this one...

Ideally I'd like a printer/scanner but OTOH I could keep this one connected for scanning purposes if there's something out there without the scanning function that prints decently and has decently priced ink cartridges with enough ink in them to last...

Or if I've gotta be changing ink often I'd at least like it to be cheaper per change than this Lexmark.

Speed isn't that important to me. Ink cost is the most important 'feature' I'm looking at right now.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Computer Printer... Looking for suggestions

Does it have to be an inkjet? A black and white laser printer is a beautiful thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I'm not a printer expert but I do work at an office supply store and have to sell them everyday. If you are only printing black and white, I would go with a small laser printer like Anthem suggested. Otherwise, I generally recommend the HP Officejet 8600 (replaced the 8500) to people who do a good amount of printing and want a multifunction inkjet. It uses the 950 and 951 cartridges which are supposedly very cost effective in the long run. They are fairly new so you might have to go to an office supply store to find them still. The 8500 usually had pretty good reviews, and the 8600 is a simple replacement, so you might at least check it out online.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

I'm going to look into the 8600 tomorrow.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have my home office with a combo printer, copier, scanner, fax machine and everyone in the family uses it.
    It's a Canon MX700. I absolutely HATE anything HP as they are the biggest ink hogs I have ever come up against. I've had this one a couple of years, before I had it's twin brother sans the fax (yeah, there are still people the want docs in a fax and not email). To me these are the lowest Ink usage color printers I've seen.

BTW..I like the individual color tubs rather than the combo packs, I don't throw out all the colors now just because Cyano is low...or whatever.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 01-25-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW..I like the individual color tubs rather than the combo packs, I don't throw out all the colors now just because Cyano is low...or whatever.
    You can also buy the individual cartridges in XL versions which should help keep costs somewhat efficient (the XL color is not offered in a multipack).

B&W low priced printer : Samsun, Oki, Epsom and Brother all sell low priced laserprinters with a far better cost per print then any inktjet.

if you want colour or multi purpose (fax, copy, scan & print) then only Kyocera is worth look at, despite initial cost, the low cost on toner/usage etc earn that extra cost bak in the 1st year, that coupled with the fact they never break makes a great buy.

Skip thought on inktjet, waste of money
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post: