Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article about possible FAs/Extensions + News about our RFAs

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Default Hibbert's Extension

I saw where Gasol just reached agreement with the Griz on a max extension.

With the way the market has blown up for centers this year and the fact that there will be several teams with cap space next year it is important to try to extend Hibbert this year if he is the future to avoid some other team driving up the price.

Usually you have to sign an extension before the player’s 4th season but this year I believe the date has been pushed back several weeks so we will get an extended look. I say if Roy shows continued improvement and more consistency we should definitely try to extend him this season to not get caught up in a bidding war and blow up our cap situation.

Bleeding Blue and Gold RichardHawes's Avatar
    Illinois but my heart resides in Indiana.

Default Re: Hibbert's Extension

Thats my biggest concern about bringing in these young players with close to expiring contracts...It's gonna be a nightmare trying to keep this team together long term

Mood

That is why we are only signing veterans to short term contracts.

Obviously we won't able to sign all of our rookie contracts to extensions but we should have a good idea which ones to keep.

I said last year that we would be lucky to get him for 10 mill a year. I say give him a 4 year contract with a player option on the 4th.

We should lock him up as soon as we can or some other team will overpay for him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

So far he certainly hasn't played like he is going to get a huge contract. This is a huge year for Hibbert, the most important of his career.

Do any of you think really think we should sign Hibbert to a 8 figure salary if he plays like he did last year? I don't!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So far he certainly hasn't played like he is going to get a huge contract. This is a huge year for Hibbert, the most important of his career.

Do any of you think really think we should sign Hibbert to a 8 figure salary if he plays like he did last year? I don't!
    Hibbert will get at least 40m-50m and that's if he plays like ****. Just look what Deandre Jordan got (43m on 4 yrs) someone will pay Hibbert a ton.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think he will be much more improved this year with the added strength and conditioning that he put in throughout the offseason and during the lockout. Add in the fact that we have a nice scoring option at the 4 spot that will take some pressure off of the big man when he gets the ball down low. When it comes down to it I think he will choose his loyalty to the team and will sign a fair extension to keep the young core intact. I'd rather trade Danny than lose Hibbert at this point.

Is this the final year of his contract?

Mood

First of all, I think this is the season we can extend his contract (?).

Otherwise, if he becomes a RFA, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up paying him 11m per year on average. Especially if he has a better season than last year.

Mood

I have high expectations and hopes for Roy. I'd sign him soon as possible, he may give you a hometown discount because Roy is awesome like that. You let him blow up this year and make it to RFA status? Someone is liable to pay him like Marc Gasol.

Tom Lael

I think Roy is too dedicated to the game of basketball to flop on us. He is already a pretty decent big man. In a season or two (barring serious injuries) I think he might turn into an absolute gun in the paint. If it were up to me I would lock him up now.

You know even as big and gangly as he is I don't think Roy is going to get any serious injuries until maybe around his 30s. I mean the NBA is a rough place and you never know, but he just seems to be built in a strange resilient way.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Yeah, we need to lock Hibbert up. There's going to be a whole bunch of teams with a ton of cap space next year. Once those teams miss out on Howard/Paul/Williams, they're going to bid up the price of guys like Hibbert.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

You'd like to see them get in on a reasonable extension as early as possible, that's your best best to avoid a huge contract.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    I have high expectations and hopes for Roy. I'd sign him soon as possible, he may give you a hometown discount because Roy is awesome like that. You let him blow up this year and make it to RFA status? Someone is liable to pay him like Marc Gasol.
    Yeah, I think he's ready for a pretty solid year, so the sooner we lock him up the better.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    First of all, I think this is the season we can extend his contract (?).
    Normally you have until Oct 31 after the 3rd year to offer an extension, which is before the season starts, but this year because of the lockout I believe I read that the deadline was moved several weeks into the season so we will get a look at his 4th year improvement before we have to commit.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Lock him up. Let's keep him here.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Still haven't heard any talk of extending Hibbert's contract. The deadline is January 25th.

I wonder if Bird's plan is to keep the cap space open and wait until next summer?

It seems the price is going up with his play so far!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm in favor of locking up Hibbert and Hill as soon as possible.

Of the top FAs, it seems unlikely that we'd be able to attract players like Dwight or Deron. Other than those 2, all the best players are RFAs, i.e. very difficult to pry away. So I don't see the attraction of keeping our cap space open.

If we extend Hibbert and Hill to reasonable deals, we should have somewhere between $8-10m in cap space. Enough to offer a short David West-style contract to guys like Ray Allen or Steve Nash or Jason Kidd. That's probably the best chance we'll have of adding an impact free agent next year.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as most of us are in the "lock him up, NOW" thought with Roy.... I'm sure he and HIS AGENT have other ideas about seeing what his value is in the market.

When it's time to pay Roy.... He won't come cheap!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

I think it's going to take Danny Granger money.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Offer him more than he's worth NOW and hope he signs it so others don't drive his price up LATER.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

I'd hope we could extend Hibbert as soon as possible and that Bird is already working on it. This past free agency period was really highlighted by centers so we can easily see what his value would be on the open market and that's if he doesn't continue to improve. I think out of all the free agent centers the only one that was truly overpaid was Jordan. IMO Nene, Gasol, and Chandler were not really overpaid as big men go. Memphis first offered Gasol a 5/$40 mil contract which didn't fly because the Rockets stepped in with a bigger offer. If we could extend Hibbert with a contract at 5/$40, I think we'd be getting a bargain and even at worst getting our money's worth. Time is on our side so 5/$40 might get it done, if it takes 5/$50 so be it. Anything more then that and we might as well let him become a rfa since the most any other team could offer him is 4/55. I'm assuming that 5 year extensions are allowed under the new cba since that's what Rose just signed for.

I'd rather let Hibbert play out the season b4 signing him. He's played good early b4 only to cool down. If he cools down, his contract should be cheaper than paying him at his current play. If not, we'll see how many other owners value Herb's view about not going after their RFA.

If Deandre Jordan got 4 years $40 million....I see Hibbert getting around $50 - $55 over 4 years
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Depending on what kind of money we're talking, I'd definitely love to see Hill and Hibbert extended.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: