Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA Basketball announces 20 finalists for 2012 Olimpics, Danny Granger out.

Banned

Default USA Basketball announces 20 finalists for 2012 Olimpics, Danny Granger out.

Not surprising.

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 1h
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    Delete
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details USA Basketball announces 20 finalists for 2012 Olympic team. Steph Curry and Danny Granger make way for Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge

Banned

Default Re: USA Basketball announces 20 finalists for 2012 Olimpics, Danny Granger out.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...Finalists.html

Named as a finalist for the 2012 USA team were: LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers); Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks); Chauncey Billups (Los Angeles Clippers); Chris Bosh (Miami Heat); Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers); Tyson Chandler (New York Knicks); Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies); Eric Gordon (New Orleans Hornets); Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers); LeBron James (Miami Heat); Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves); Lamar Odom (Dallas Mavericks); Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls); Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat); Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder); and Deron Williams (New Jersey Nets). Griffin was also officially added to the USA Basketball National Team roster.

Sean Deveney @SeanDeveney 53m
    RetweetedRetweet
    Delete
    FavoritedFavorite
    · Close Open Details Not a big surprise that Danny Granger was left out of the Team USA Olympic pool. Stephen Curry ... mild surprise.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Sports Logo

Default Re: USA Basketball announces 20 finalists for 2012 Olimpics, Danny Granger out.

Good...let him work out with Vogel and his Team and build Team Chemistry instead of hanging out with LeDecision.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-16-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Love
    Dwight Howard
    Tyson Chandler

There ya go.

Those are the 12 locks IMO and the only real players that matter.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

A lot of stars and no role players, besides Bosh I guess. Oh well, they are all so talented they will destroy anyone they come up against.

Also, Durant will end up taking one of the starting spots. Need his shooting.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of stars and no role players, besides Bosh I guess. Oh well, they are all so talented they will destroy anyone they come up against.
    Is Tyson Chandler a star?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Is Tyson Chandler a star?
    Wow. It's a pretty weak crop of centers around the league when Tyson Chandler is considered a top 20 player. Honestly, I would prefer Roy Hibbert...and I don't believe I'm being a homer. Chandler is a good defensive player, but he's had the benefit of playing on near all-star teams. Yes, his presence was important on those teams, but top 20? IDK.

Anyway, I would rank Pau or Marc Gasol higher as well just because they are an offensive threat.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Wow. It's a pretty weak crop of centers around the league when Tyson Chandler is considered a top 20 player. Honestly, I would prefer Roy Hibbert...and I don't believe I'm being a homer. Chandler is a good defensive player, but he's had the benefit of playing on near all-star teams. Yes, his presence was important on those teams, but top 20? IDK.

Anyway, I would rank Pau or Marc Gasol higher as well just because they are an offensive threat.
    Oh yeah, there are better choices than Tyson for that team.

Pau and Marc are Spanish btw. They can't play for Team USA, or at least they shouldn't. They are probably playing for the Spanish team.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Pau and Marc are Spanish btw. They can't play for Team USA, or at least they shouldn't. They are probably playing for the Spanish team.
    Roy also plays for Jamaica.

Not sure if he still has USA eligibility or not.

Oh yes. I should have thought of that.

It just seems that the league is pretty weak given that we used to have Shaq, Olajuwon, Mr. Robinson, Rik Smits, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Garnett, Ben Wallace, Dale Davis, Rasheed Wallace and Dikembe Mutombo many of them playing against each other for more than just a few years. All of those guys are dying off and we're left with what? Tyson Chandler as a top 20 player? Whoop-T-Doo.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And what would you consider a team with:

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Love
    Dwight Howard

You don't need your limited minute defensive reserve big to score a whole lot with that group.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Roy also plays for Jamaica.

Not sure if he still has USA eligibility or not.
    Let's hope that Roy doesn't play for Jamaica.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Love
    Dwight Howard

You don't need your limited minute defensive reserve big to score a whole lot with that group.
    Blake Griffin sticks out on this list. He doesn't deserve an Olympic spot

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Love
    Dwight Howard
    Tyson Chandler

There ya go.

Those are the 12 locks IMO and the only real players that matter.
    I don't think they'll take 3 of Griffin, Bosh, and Love when Lebron and Carmelo are both so effective at the 4 internationally when paired with Howard or Chandler.

I think Love is a lock. I would imagine Bosh would get the nod ahead of Griffin if they take two which I assume they will.

I think you'll see a guard in Griffin's spot, likely Deron Williams.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Blake Griffin sticks out on this list. He doesn't deserve an Olympic spot
    I agree, that dude does not play defense.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

I don't think Danny really cares that he wasn't invited to the Olimpics.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Love
    Dwight Howard

That's not the point. Those guys could cover for me too.

The point is, it is very strange to consider a player with his abilities to be a top 20 player....unless you didn't watch basketball in the 1990's. There were many bigs that could do everything Chandler can do, but a whole lot more. It's just very strange to see Chandler as a top 20 player.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

The point is, it is very strange to consider a player with his abilities to be a top 20 player....unless you didn't watch basketball in the 1990's. There were many bigs that could do everything Chandler can do, but a whole lot more. It's just very strange to see Chandler as a top 20 player.
    This isn't about coming up with a list of top 20 players. It's about finding the best 20 to create a 12 man team with.

Top 20? No, Chandler probably isn't in that category, but what he does is something that is both very valuable, and very rare in today's NBA.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For FIBA play I would take Tyson Chandler all day over Blake Griffin and a few other bigs. Chris Bosh's skill set is much better than Griffin's for fiba play for example.

For me the only lock big man besides Howard is Kevin Love who is absolutely the perfect fit for the FIBA game.

you dont just take the 12 best players you take the 12 best who fit together as well as most talented for the FIBA play style.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Even more strange to see Griffin. Chandler is clearly better than BG

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This isn't about coming up with a list of top 20 players. It's about finding the best 20 to create a 12 man team with.

Top 20? No, Chandler probably isn't in that category, but what he does is something that is both very valuable, and very rare in today's NBA.
    Agreed. When the cupboard is bare at C, you have to do something. So, I agree he fits on an all-star team in today's game. But he remains terrible compared to the options we had 10 or 15 years ago.

Back in the day, he literally would be considered just another big stiff given the fact he has no offensive game. He's actually not that great defensively either which makes it all the more amazing. Let's just say he's lucky to be playing now rather than in the 90's.

Um, Bynum? Chandler is on this list because of his defense. He is the perfect post defender for international ball.

I don't think they'll take 3 of Griffin, Bosh, and Love when Lebron and Carmelo are both so effective at the 4 internationally when paired with Howard or Chandler.

I think Love is a lock. I would imagine Bosh would get the nod ahead of Griffin if they take two which I assume they will.

I think you'll see a guard in Griffin's spot, likely Deron Williams.
    I guess if that's the case I'd prefer Eric Gordon's shooting on the wing more than Deron Williams. Paul and Rose should be able to handle all the PG minutes. And, I think Lebron has a lot of potential as a PG in the international game.

It's not all necessarily about putting the best guys together - $$$$ has a play in it also. IE: Jersey sales.