Thread: Don't Laugh...Serious Question.

Default Don't Laugh...Serious Question.

Would the NBA rework the TV schedules to broadcast more Pacers games on TNT and ESPN? Perhaps give us some of the Boston Celtic slots?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Don't Laugh...Serious Question.

TNT won't, but ESPN flexes games in and out of their late-season schedules all the time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TNT won't, but ESPN flexes games in and out of their late-season schedules all the time.
    I doubt they would flex us for Boston though. Boston will get them more ratings than us regardless and that is all the mother ship network cares about drawing ratings. (which is I guess smart business )

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

By saying "Don't Laugh" in the title, I laughed before I even opened the thread. But I don't see a reason why someone would laugh at the suggestion.

I actually thought about this question last night, in a slightly different way. I wonder if someone (not me, sorry, don't have the initiative but do have the interest) would add up all the nationally televised games for teams like New Jersey, Toronto, Milwaukee, Washington, Sacramento, Golden State, and New Orleans.

What do these teams have in common? Almost every one of these teams has at least one fairly marketable and recognizable player (a player that is more 'marketable' right now than anyone on the Pacers). But these teams are already in double digit losses (or nearing that), and will be lottery bound. Another thing they have in common? (assuming the research shows this...) Tey have one or more nationally televised games, yet the Pacers have ZERO (NBA TV not included).

This would confirm the ongoing argument that the NBA markets its individual players rather than its teams. So teams like the Pacers, built to work together but not built to draw attention to one individual, get ignored. Even when they are good and play a fairly interesting style of basketball.

One thing Reggie did for the franchise was to be a national draw as either the hero or the villain, which is why that team played on nationally-televised Christmas day games. Without adding a nationally recognizable player, will this team ever get its share of nationally televised games? I am making the assumption that Granger is nationally known to most NBA fans, but not a nationally recognizable player to the average audience.

Another way to approach this is for the team to identify one or two of its players and do whatever it can to get these guys nationally recognized. I think probably the two most likely candidates are Roy Hibbert and Paul George. And I think Hibbert may be approaching that type of recognition very quickly if he keeps playing the way he is playing this year.

Banned

If Boston and other teams keep stinking the joint I wouldn't be surprised that we get few games on ESPN probably againts the Bulls.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-15-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Perhaps if Paul George grabs his crotch and flashes a choke sign to Spike Lee next time he drops a 3 in NY we can move this idea forward!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

No. Boston is a big market and has 100 times as many fans. They also have 3 hall of famers playing on their team. We might trounce them each game this year, but it wouldn't make a dent. Not until the Pacers are true contenders are we ever going to get any serious respect by the media. Teams and coaches will, but they're not concerned with ratings. They're concerned with winning games.

When I say respect by the media, I truly think we have to be one of the 4 best teams in the league to get it.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

The question may be serious but my answer is still

Considering we got, what, like 3 national broadcast games in 2000-2001 (the year after we went to the finals against the Lakers), I think merely being 9-3 in the Leastern Conference isn't enough to get us noticed above LeBoshWade and DRose. There are only a few nights where the Heat or Chicago aren't playing, and they need to fill those with the Knicks and Boston.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    I actually thought about this question last night, in a slightly different way. I wonder if someone (not me, sorry, don't have the initiative but do have the interest) would add up all the nationally televised games for teams like New Jersey, Toronto, Milwaukee, Washington, Sacramento, Golden State, and New Orleans.

What do these teams have in common? Almost every one of these teams has at least one fairly marketable and recognizable player (a player that is more 'marketable' right now than anyone on the Pacers). But these teams are already in double digit losses (or nearing that), and will be lottery bound. Another thing they have in common? (assuming the research shows this...) Tey have one or more nationally televised games, yet the Pacers have ZERO (NBA TV not included).

This would confirm the ongoing argument that the NBA markets its individual players rather than its teams. So teams like the Pacers, built to work together but not built to draw attention to one individual, get ignored. Even when they are good and play a fairly interesting style of basketball.

One thing Reggie did for the franchise was to be a national draw as either the hero or the villain, which is why that team played on nationally-televised Christmas day games. Without adding a nationally recognizable player, will this team ever get its share of nationally televised games? I am making the assumption that Granger is nationally known to most NBA fans, but not a nationally recognizable player to the average audience.

Another way to approach this is for the team to identify one or two of its players and do whatever it can to get these guys nationally recognized. I think probably the two most likely candidates are Roy Hibbert and Paul George. And I think Hibbert may be approaching that type of recognition very quickly if he keeps playing the way he is playing this year.
    These in my opinion are the only teams who have a player that probably has been heard of enough for viewers to want to watch. The rest of the teams are in the same boat as us if not worse, atleast we have two all stars on our roster. We will be in the spotlight again by next season especially if we make some noise in the playoffs again this year.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

If we are still a top 3 team in the east around march, then I could see us getting some love by the national media and we might get on espn. But Let's not worry about it anyway. I like the fsn coverage with Quinn and Austin anyway.

We will get on national Tv during the playoffs anyway.
    Last edited by pacers74; 01-15-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The question may be serious but my answer is still

Considering we got, what, like 3 national broadcast games in 2000-2001 (the year after we went to the finals against the Lakers), I think merely being 9-3 in the Leastern Conference isn't enough to get us noticed above LeBoshWade and DRose. There are only a few nights where the Heat or Chicago aren't playing, and they need to fill those with the Knicks and Boston.
    We went to the Finals in 1999-2000

Mood

I'd just wait to see if we make the playoffs. We'll be on National TV then.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    We went to the Finals in 1999-2000
    Yes, he and the rest of us know this. bill clearly stated that 2000-2001 was the year after the Finals run, dude.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    No. Boston is a big market and has 100 times as many fans. They also have 3 hall of famers playing on their team. We might trounce them each game this year, but it wouldn't make a dent. Not until the Pacers are true contenders are we ever going to get any serious respect by the media. Teams and coaches will, but they're not concerned with ratings. They're concerned with winning games.

When I say respect by the media, I truly think we have to be one of the 4 best teams in the league to get it.
    Or the locals for that matter.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Yes, he and the rest of us know this. bill clearly stated that 2000-2001 was the year after the Finals run, dude.
    I misread it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Or the locals for that matter.

So true, so true.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Perhaps if Paul George grabs his crotch and flashes a choke sign to Spike Lee next time he drops a 3 in NY we can move this idea forward!
    That's already been done. Maybe if he grabs Spike's crotch then chokes him...
    Spoiler Spoiler:

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    That's already been done. Maybe if he grabs Spike's crotch then chokes him...
    Spoiler Spoiler:

One way to get a national TV game is through NBATV's Fan Night. I realize NBATV doesn't have the same exposure as ESPN or TNT, but it does get you in more households across the United States and it usually gets more coverage on NBA.com.

This year, we;'re going to reach out to my counterpart's on the other teams from our Tuesday night schedule and see if they will promote the fan voting. Look for this to start with our next home game. Voting should start the Wednesday or Thursday before the actual game, which is on January 24.

We did this last year and got a game switched. You may remember El Pacero being interviewed by Chris Webber.

http://www.nba.com/nbatv/fannight/

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobfromPacers For This Useful Post:

Why does phx have natl tv games and Pacers don't?

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Why does phx have natl tv games and Pacers don't?
    They have a 2-time MVP on their roster.

If the Pacers want to get on Natl TV they just need to remain competitive and win their share of games. They have to eliminate things happening like the Miami game. That needs to be the exception, not the rule... and right now it is. It needs to stay that way. Do that and national exposure will start to follow. It won't happen overnight though. It takes a track record.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Kind of nice folks complaining about not getting the exposure after so many years since November of 2004.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

32. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

NBA TV did a fan-voting system for one of the Pacers games late last season