Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nets would probably trade Dwill if can't get Howard

Banned

Default Nets would probably trade Dwill if can't get Howard

I hope we have a chance to get Dwill.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ht-howard-land

One leftover question from the whole Dwight Howard discussion to the left: Is there any scenario where the Nets, fearing that they won't be able to trade for Howard and thus putting themselves at great risk for losing Deron Williams in free agency this summer, decide to trade D-Will before the March 15 deadline to avoid that nightmare scenario?

Sources briefed on New Jersey's thinking say that there's only one such scenario.

If Howard is traded to the Lakers before the deadline, sources say New Jersey would then be forced to explore its D-Will trade options, knowing that Williams would be a virtual lock to leave come July. If Orlando keeps Howard or deals him anywhere else but L.A. or Dallas before the deadline, thus keeping alive its dream of pairing the two in Brooklyn next fall, New Jersey will wait.

The Nets, in other words, would have to be all the way out of the Howard Sweepstakes before abandoning their plans, having sacrificed so much last February (Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and two first-round picks) just to get D-Will.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Nets would probably trade Dwill if can't get Howard

They should trade him, because there is no way he stays there if they don't add Howard or another elite player to go beside him.

Banned

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nets-set-t...deron-williams

Nets Set To Trade Deron Williams?
    By Bill Ingram
    Senior NBA Editor
    Email Print 0 CommentsThe writing is on the wall in New Jersey, where the Nets were hoping to make a big splash in free agency and managed to pull off little more than a ripple. Their dare-to-be-great move to acquire Deron Williams last season was supposed to be the first step in an agressive move towards contention, but by missing out on all of their big-name free agent targets during free agency they find themselves in a difficult position.

Much like the Denver Nuggets last season and the New Orleans Hornets and Orlando Magic this year, the Nets have to decide whether they can afford to gamble on their franchise player staying put.

Deron Williams can be a free agent this summer, and with the Nets stumbling along through a 3-10 start its becoming increasingly less likely that Williams will want to commit his foreseeable future to the team. The Nets have been in a desperate pursuit of Dwight Howard, but with the Magic refusing to engage in trade talks – even if the Nets had the necessary assets to start a conversation - the Nets are now reportedly considering dealing Williams before the trade deadline to avoid possibly losing him for nothing.

This situation has become all-too-familiar in the NBA in recent years. The Toronto Raptors went through it two summers ago with Chris Bosh, as did the Cleveland Cavaliers with LeBron James. L year the Denver Nuggets traded Carmelo Anthony to avoid losing him, and this season the New Orleans Hornets traded Chris Paul before the season even started for the same reason.

With Orlando playing well and the Magic determined not to trade their superstar center, it seems the Nets will have little choice but to see what they can get in the open market for Williams. The Dallas Mavericks hope to be Williams’ top choice in free agency, believing the lure of playing both at home and with Dirk Nowitzki will make it hard for Williams to consider anything else, but the Mavericks may be loathe to make an offer in trade for a player they can probably sign outright next summer.

New Jersey’s best-case scenario, as with other teams that have faced this situation, is to find a team with which Williams would agree to sign an extension and put together a deal with that team.

In other words, the Nets are about to start agressively shopping their All-Star point guard.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't give much for him at this point. We wouldn't be far off from being able to sign him in the offseason for nothing, so why would we?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I do hope Howard stays in Orlando.

I wonder if there is a way for a 3 way trade where we get Rondo and Boston gets DWill.

Who would you LIKE to have more: DWill or Rondo?

Rondo seems to fit our play style better and his defense would make the Pacers a legit elite defensive team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't give much for him at this point. We wouldn't be far off from being able to sign him in the offseason for nothing, so why would we?
    I would send a good package if he does what CP3 did to stay with the Clippers. I wonder what kind of package they would be asking for?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I do hope Howard stays in Orlando.

I wonder if there is a way for a 3 way trade where we get Rondo and Boston gets DWill.

Who would you LIKE to have more: DWill or Rondo?

Rondo seems to fit our play style better and his defense would make the Pacers a legit elite defensive team.
    There is not doubt that Dwill is better than Rondo but I'll be happy with either.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I would send a good package if he does what CP3 did to stay with the Clippers. I wonder what kind of package they would be asking for?
    Probably close to what they gave up for him. A lot. I wouldn't probably give them even half that value. Wouldn't be enough I'm sure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Probably close to what they gave up for him. A lot. I wouldn't probably give them even half that value. Wouldn't be enough I'm sure.
    Yeah their best bet was for them to try to get into the NO/Clippers trade and send Dwill to LA for the CP3 package, I don't see another package from any other playoff team that could be better than that.

edit: Maybe Rondo for Dwill? that could make sense for either team I think.

No thanks. Would cost too much and he wouldn't want to stay I'm Indy. Knicks or Lakers would offer Amare or Gasol most likely. Celtics may offer Rondo again.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Given what it would cost Indy, I actually would not explore this option.

Maybe last year, but you're too far into a winning campaign to make such a massive change mid-season.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Maybe someone can play the role of recruiter in the offseason and get us D-Will

We would definitley be contenders.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

considering the package they gave for him they wont get anything close to that. But they will ask for a ton. Trading for Dwill was a mistake on their part IMO unless they can get Howard. Their team is beyond awful even with Brook Lopez healthy/

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

We would probably have a better chance of signing him in the off season.

If Dwight ends up in LA, we would be one of the only competitive teams close to having enough room to sign him. Dallas would still have to dump Marion's contract on a team below the cap, not exactly a sure thing.

Of course if he's traded that opens up options for a lot more teams. If he enters free agency however, I think its in the realm of possibility we have a shot, cause who else is there? Am I forgetting anyone?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    We would probably have a better chance of signing him in the off season.

If Dwight ends up in LA, we would be one of the only competitive teams close to having enough room to sign him. Dallas would still have to dump Marion's contract on a team below the cap, not exactly a sure thing.

Of course if he's traded that opens up options for a lot more teams. If he enters free agency however, I think its in the realm of possibility we have a shot, cause who else is there? Am I forgetting anyone?
    Well if he is a free agent next year we would have to compete againts a lot of teams that are going to be under the cap, NJ would give him a max for 5 years for sure, making it hard for anybody to match that kind of money, the best for anybody that want's him would be to trade for him right now and make him sign a similar extention to the one CP3 signed before getting traded to the Clippers.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Given what it would cost Indy, I actually would not explore this option.

Maybe last year, but you're too far into a winning campaign to make such a massive change mid-season.
    Yeah its not like we have Bobby Sura and some random Russian. We have to give up a good portion of our core.

Sports Logo

I'm with pwee31. Where DWill ends up hinges on where Dwight ends up. If Dwight ends up in LaLaLand, the Knicks will easily offer up Amare and BDiddy. If Dwight goes to Brooklyn, DWill will stay. Although we can hope that DWill will hit the open market, I doubt that the Nets will simply let him go after spending so much to get him. An offer of Amare and BDiddy at the trade deadline ( assuming that Dwight goes to LaLaLand ) is far more appealing than some combination of DC, Granger and/or multiple draft picks to the Nets.

Its nice to dream that DWill would end up in a Pacer uniform by the trade deadline or in the offseason, but the likely reality is that he will either be in a Nets or Knicks uniform by the trade deadline. Remember, the Nets want to have a big draw when they move to Brooklyn. Amare isn't the best option, but he's better as a 'draw' than DC+Granger or anything we can offer.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-15-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think it's best to wait till summer. If we keep playing like we're playing and end up with a good seed we're going to be an attractive fall back option next year for some of these guys who would probably prefer a bigger market.

If they want to win bad enough they'll come here.

Banned

Where are you guys getting the Amare for Dwill trade rumor? call me crazy but I would actually trade Melo for Dwill so he can play with Amare.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Where are you guys getting the Amare for Dwill trade rumor? call me crazy but I would actually trade Melo for Dwill so he can play with Amare.
    I suggested Amare, cuz the Knicks were rumored to have offered him up during the CP3 sweepstakes. But its irrelevant, whether it be Amare or MeloDrama....IMHO, its a very good assumption to make that the Knicks will throw either Amare or Carmelo and Bdiddy at the Nets to get DWill....which will be better than what we can offer.

Its painfully obvious that D`Antoni needs a top tier PG to run the offense. I'm not going to hold my breathe that BDiddy is going to be that guy.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-15-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Amare was good with Nash and Felton ( Dantony sistem), without not sure
    Last edited by The Rocker; 01-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I suggested Amare, cuz the Knicks were rumored to have offered him up during the CP3 sweepstakes. But its irrelevant, whether it be Amare or MeloDrama....IMHO, its a very good assumption to make that the Knicks will throw either Amare or Carmelo and Bdiddy at the Nets to get DWill....which will be better than what we can offer.

Its painfully obvious that D`Antoni needs a top tier PG to run the offense. I'm not going to hold my breathe that BDiddy is going to be that guy.
    No one wants Amare. He has two bad knees and a contract that can't be insured that lasts until 2015.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pezasied182 For This Useful Post:

I hope TPTB can sign him in the offseason. Would it do any good to trade 3 important parts of this team to land him (even if he agreed to an extension)? I dont think we would be that much better if you subtract what it would take.
    Now, if he could be signed in the offseason, I think that could make the Pacers a championship contender. Wow - thats an awesome thought!

I think it would be a bad idea to make a major move this season. This team is playing well and will have a chance to make at Deron in free agency if they really want him.

I'd rather just see the Pacers stick with who they have at this point unless they can add a scoring guard to come off the bench.

Guess they got a little over their heads about the whole "we need a star when we move to Brooklyn".

Just because you play in a big market doesn't mean that player is going to be happy there nor does it mean you're automatically going to be a good team.

They were better off with Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, and those picks.

Utah and Denver are still going strong despite trading away their star players. New Orleans has a bright future too.

It clearly appears that Denver won that deal and seem better off with out Carmelo.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 01-15-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!