Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Putting the Celtics out to pasture

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Putting the Celtics out to pasture

Al blew out his knee in January '02 (I think), ironically in and against Boston. Pre and post ACL Harrington are two different players.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is ridiculous and when you combine that with our rebounding and our defense, it makes for a formula that allows us to not only survive the droughts we have on offense from the field, but thrive off of them.
    Yeah, this is huge. I don't know how many times this season I've seen us start to struggle to put the ball in the hoop but we essentially buy ourselves time to get going again by getting fouled and going to the line.

You talking about Roy's block on Garnet? how about the foul that stopped Garnet scoring before that, he just stopped him in mid-air, against Roy KG's points come from around the 3-point line, none in the paint, Roy was having none of that.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

JOB's one redeeming quality is that he brought us Frank Vogel.

And that is enough to keep him out of hell.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Nothing to really add... but for Peck's question at this point the 93 -94 team. Both teams had talent and the light bulb finally lit. Main difference of course is in coaches where Brown was getting the respect because of his knowledge and in this current situation I think the guys just love Vogel and you can't under estimate the players respect for Brian Shaw.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

03-04 team: Two great D players (JO & Ron-Ron/MWP), but not nearly as evenly and widely distributed as current team. I'd say overall team D potential of this group is well beyond 03-04 and that was a good defensive team. Offensively, a much deeper team. A lot more scoring options. DC could turn out to be a superior PG to Tins in terms of stability/consistency running the team offensively. Maybe on D too, since that was never JT's strong suit.

Again, this is all talking potential 12 games into current season, but I think these starters on balance could be better than both 94/2000. Not yet, but could develop that way. Of course, you really need a few years to gauge the comparison as that core was together for a long stretch.

Jackson/Miller is currently better than Collison/George, however. Roy MAY be eclipsing Smits as an all around C, pending how the season progresses. Would like DD's defense and boardwork, but West is much more well rounded. I think George, if he continues to improve, melds the scoring punch of Rose with the length and D of McKey; hence, giving us more bang for our buck in the starting lineup. Reggie > DG, but DG is a better defender and has reasonable clutch ability, so it's not utter domination. (Note: 94-2000 Reggie "more better" than DG. 03-04 Reggie "less better" than DG.)

Plus, it goes without saying that the bench now is probably the best amongst all those groups. And we see a good team chemistry/camaraderie like we did with those. But, there's a long way to go this year, so I won't jump the gun, just musing a bit on ? from the OP.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 01-15-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Good post and I love that picture.

Random replies...

It's really just amazing what a coaching change and a couple of key trades will do. Just crazy. If we keep this up, Bird better be on the short list for GM of the year or whatever that award is called.

Al blew out his ACL on January 23rd, 2002. Against Boston. I remember the date because that's my birthday. He was a different player afterwords - his game completely changed.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

I've believed since the lockout ended.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also, I'd like to think that when Tyler relieved Kevin Garnett of possession of the basketball in the paint, somewhere tonight, wherever he was, it brought a tear to Dale Davis's eye.
    Loved it. Brought a tear to my eye. Garnett almost seemed confused for a minute.

And let's not put the Celtics out to pasture, cause then they might stud, and the last thing we want is little Garnetts. It would be much more fitting to turn them into glue.

We play Boston at Boston in under two weeks. It's in the middle of a very tough stretch of schedule, but let's see if we can drop three double-digit losses on those a-holes in one month.
    Danger Zone

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

And George Hill is a huge addition to this team. He has an all-round game that fits in perfectly. He's not all-star at any one thing, but he's a very good defender, good jump shooter, can create his own shot, take fouls and help lead the team.
    Danger Zone

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Darren Collison, he made Rondo look like a member of the big 4. By that I mean he made him look old and irrelevant like the other three. Season high for Darren and every time he had the ball and Rondo was on him he viewed the situation like Boris Diaw views a ham. In other words he devoured him.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    JOB's one redeeming quality is that he brought us Frank Vogel.

And that is enough to keep him out of hell.
    Yeah I don't think so

Mood

I don't think they are out to pasture yet, but they are in the barn. If we can take them at home next month like we did last night then the changing of the guard could be happening and they will be out to pasture.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Too bad Dale Davis doesn't ****ing cry.

(Except during the beginning of Up. That was pretty sad.)
    Post of the Year.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love watching the fits that Tyler was giving Garnett as well. My mind wandered back to before the season started Tyler's rookie year. When Garnett totally f-bombed when asked if he wanted to meet Tyler.

The phrase in my head, "How do you like me now, mother******?!" was present.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Remember all those posts saying how we could never really rebuild the way Bird was doing it? That we needed to blow things up? That we werent talented?

Well guess what, this team is talented. It has a great mix of youth and vets that allow us to close out games we should (toronto and cleveland) and the ability to win on a back to back like tonight.

Thank you for writing this. About a year or two I would read a few posters stating that they felt Larry should build a team like Ainge. I never understood that (and I hope those posters understand now what a mistake that would have been).

Bird and Morway are a great team. They compliment each other perfectly and the the patience is paying off.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl33 For This Useful Post:

Lance's yellow shoes are amazing, and I am thrilled that he is out there talking trash to guys he has no business trash talking too...
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As the little pig from the Geico commercials would say:

WHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the ride! Gooooooo Pacers!!!!!!!!

Just think that if LB had gotten the outside shooter he wanted just how good this team would have been..

The Celts played back to back as did we but they just don't have the legs for it so we won.

I am so tired of watching Doc Rivers challenge every damn call. I like him as a coach but he never stops whining

32. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I love watching the fits that Tyler was giving Garnett as well. My mind wandered back to before the season started Tyler's rookie year. When Garnett totally f-bombed when asked if he wanted to meet Tyler.

The phrase in my head, "How do you like me now, mother******?!" was present.
    And Garnett said that in OUR house!

Mood

George Hill = Byron Scott 2.0, except younger?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

At some point in time we are going to have to determine, in all honesty, how good are we? Was this a case of a declining Boston Celtic team just being too old and out of shape to play on the back end of a back to back game? Or was this a dominate team on the rise just taking care of business no matter who the opponent was? Or was it maybe both?
    To be honest we can't determine this until we have reached a hardship. Was the Heat game a hardship? I don't know.

But one thing is for sure, this team has no quit. We are relentless and we have an identity. And no doubt we are one player away from making some serious noise.

Who here is confident that the Heat or Bulls can sweep us now? Last year I never would have guessed that we made this kind of jump.

And no matter what age your opponent is....IT FEELS GOOD TO BEAT THE CELTS!!!!!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

The only thing that would have made this win more satisfying for me is if I actually would have been there so I could shake all those celtics bandwagon jumping losers' hands and thank them for supporting the pacers on the way out.
    Last edited by TheDon; 01-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

I'd love to pick up Ray Allen in the offseason.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: