View Poll Results: Who should be the Colts next head coach?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bill Cowher – Former Steelers HC

9 20.93%
  • John Gruden – Former Bucs HC

8 18.60%
  • Steve Spagnuolo – Former Rams HC

0 0%
  • Brad Childress – Former Vikings HC

1 2.33%
  • Perry Fewell – Giants DC

1 2.33%
  • Mike Zimmer – Bengals DC

11 25.58%
  • Marty Mornhinweg – Eagles OC

2 4.65%
  • Pete Carmichael, Jr. – Saints OC

2 4.65%
  • Joe Philbin – Packers OC

2 4.65%
  • Rob Chudzinski – Panthers OC

0 0%
  • Winston Moss – Packers Associate HC

0 0%
  • Russ Grimm – Cadinals Associate HC

0 0%
  • Other

7 16.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should be the Colts next head coach?

Default Who should be the Colts next head coach?

The guy I really like right now is Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. I have read nothing but good things about him. Players respect him and enjoy playing for him. Obviously he is a very good defensive coordinator but the question with him (and others) is does he have the skills to be a good head coach? Right now he would probably be the first choice if I had to pick today.

I also like Perry Fewell. He has done some good things with the Giants defense although he was on the hot seat for a while I think. He is still worth taking a look at IMO.

I wouldn't be too excited about Mornhinweg. I don't think the Colts will hire Spagnuolo as head coach because it would probably be hard to sell to the players. The players like Caldwell and he has had more success as a head coach than Spagnuolo. Of course they were in different situations but it would be a tough sell. Besides I expect Spagnuolo to take a defensive coordinator job and not head coaching job. He has to protect his name as a head coach and the next head coaching job he takes will probably not be a rebuilding project.

I don't expect the Colts to get Bill Cowher. I just threw his name in the poll because he is one of the few possible candidates with head coaching experience.

Brains of the Operation.

Default Re: Who should be the Colts next head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy I really like right now is Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. I have read nothing but good things about him. Players respect him and enjoy playing for him. Obviously he is a very good defensive coordinator but the question with him (and others) is does he have the skills to be a good head coach? Right now he would probably be the first choice if I had to pick today.

I also like Perry Fewell. He has done some good things with the Giants defense although he was on the hot seat for a while I think. He is still worth taking a look at IMO.

I wouldn't be too excited about Mornhinweg. I don't think the Colts will hire Spagnuolo as head coach because it would probably be hard to sell to the players. The players like Caldwell and he has had more success as a head coach than Spagnuolo. Of course they were in different situations but it would be a tough sell. Besides I expect Spagnuolo to take a defensive coordinator job and not head coaching job. He has to protect his name as a head coach and the next head coaching job he takes will probably not be a rebuilding project.

I don't expect the Colts to get Bill Cowher. I just threw his name in the poll because he is one of the few possible candidates with head coaching experience.
    Mike Zimmer would be my choice also with Spags as D coordinator. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Spags will be the guy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NO Gruden.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Zimmer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guys on that list I'd be happy with: Fewell, Zimmer, Carmichael, Philbin, Chudzinski, Moss, Grimm

Guys on that list I'd be okay with, but not excited about: Cowher, Mornhinweg

Guys I don't want: Gruden, Childress, Spagnuolo

How about Cower as HC and Zimmer as DC. & then get the Saints OC.

I'm sure Zimmer and Carmichael(sp) want HC jobs, but I can dream.

As long as we focus more on D and ST, then I'll be happy. With Luck/Manning, our offense should be fine. It's time to build an all round team instead of relying on one guy to cover up so many deficiencies.

No more making several guys on D the highest paid at their position, cause then we can't get anything else. Those were just dumb decisions (except Freeney).

Please stay away from Gruden and Childress.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    How about Cower as HC and Zimmer as DC. & then get the Saints OC.

I'm sure Zimmer and Carmichael(sp) want HC jobs, but I can dream.

As long as we focus more on D and ST, then I'll be happy. With Luck/Manning, our offense should be fine. It's time to build an all round team instead of relying on one guy to cover up so many deficiencies.

No more making several guys on D the highest paid at their position, cause then we can't get anything else. Those were just dumb decisions (except Freeney).

Please stay away from Gruden and Childress.
    Pete Carmichael is not a good choice...he is a figure head.

I feel like im one of the only few that wants a defensive guy.. (to my suprise the poll says differently) And a big change and emphasis on that side of the ball.I would like to give Zimmer a try.Fewell would be interesting as well.

Sounds like we are going to go with an offensive guy tho. I want a quick decision but i don't want the to make the wrong one either.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 01-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd rather have Caldwell back then EVER hire Mornhinweg as a head coach.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I want a defensive guy. I want someone that trashes the current scheme and starts over with a blank sheet of paper.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

That said... The HC could be a guy with a great offensive mind and background... As long as he's someone that knows and respects the importance of defense and gets a great guy on his staff to handle the defense.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

streets ahead

INTERESTED IN INTERVIEWING

Fewell - Buffalo wasn't the greatest and the Giants D suffers when Perry starts going off book, but he'd be worth an interview.

Zimmer - His defenses seem pretty consistent as long as they're healthy, worth a chat.

Philbin - I suppose, though I'm not sure how interested he is in head coaching at this particular point in time.

Moss - Sure.

Grimm - Sure.

Cowher - Some seem less than enthusiastic about him, but the whole "he's been out of football" thing bothers me less than others I s'pose. Don't think he's tremendously interested in coaching right now, though.

COULD BE TALKED INTO INTERVIEWING

Billick - When someone on here (Kegboy? maybe?) I rolled my eyes at the thought. But I suppose I've grown more comfortable with the idea as it rests in my brain. Despite being an offensive oriented dude, his Baltimore offenses were always less than impressive. With Manning or Luck, he's got a better QB and better QB prospect than he ever had with the Ravens. So was Kyle Boller ruined by Billick or was he just a draft miss? Was the intensity Billick's teams showed on defense and through a myriad of D coordinators have more to do with Billick knowing the guys to let run the defense or have more to do with Ozzie Newsome being a badass personnel guy?

Carmichael, Chudzinski - These are two guys I'm not sure what to make of. Carmichael doesn't have much of a track record with Sean Payton being an offensive dude and doing the bulk of the playcalling duties. Chudzinski I know nothing about other than either he or Cam Newton could be responsible for his crazy rookie stats. No overwhelming reason not to interview though.

(Marty) Schottenheimer - I go back and forth about this. He's pretty consistent in terms of being able to turn teams around for the regular season but obviously there's the playoffs boogeyman. There's also the fact that he's been through a long line of QB prospects that bombed and at least one HoF QB that hated him (Montana). So, I could be talked into interviewing him.

PROBABLY CAN'T BE TALKED INTO INTERVIEWING

Mornhinweg - While I have an odd feeling this is the way the Colts are actually going to go, I'm not especially interested. I suppose he could move to 'Could be talked into' territory but... eh.

Childress, Spagnuolo - Should spend a few years as coordinators then I might consider y'all again.

Gruden - Never crazy about him.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Billick - When someone on here (Kegboy? maybe?)

I get people saying Baltimore had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Ryan. Of course, one could always say the same thing about Cowher, too. But anyone who can win a Super Bowl with Trent Freakin' Dilfer has my respect and always will.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Colts set to interview Titans DC Jerry Gray.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports

jwyattsports Jim Wyatt
    The #Titans have granted the Colts permission to talk to defensive coordinator Jerry Gray about their head coaching job, sources say

I don't really know anything about him. Here is his bio.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coa...5-b15d85839328

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    Colts set to interview Titans DC Jerry Gray.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports

jwyattsports Jim Wyatt
    The #Titans have granted the Colts permission to talk to defensive coordinator Jerry Gray about their head coaching job, sources say

I don't really know anything about him. Here is his bio.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coa...5-b15d85839328
    Whether the Colts hire him or not, at least they're fulfilling the requirements of the Rooney Rule.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Pass the antacid!
    http://blogs.indystar.com/sportspuls...t-colts-coach/

Oddsmaker: Marty Mornhinweg favorite to become next Colts coach
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://indiana.sbnation.com/indianap...ael-jerry-gray

Colts Reportedly Will Interview Mike Zimmer For Head Coaching Gig, Along With Pete Carmichael, Jerry Gray
    The Indianapolis Colts have fired their head coach and are now looking for a replacement. They're also cleaning house of what is essentially their entire coaching staff, most likely so a new coach can bring in all of his guys. It's certainly a fresh start in Indianapolis. So far, there have been a few candidates announced. One such candidate is Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, according to John Clayton on SportsCenter, via Stampede Blue.

Zimmer is somewhat of a hot commodity right now, and is considered one of the top candidates for teams searching for a head coach. He's already interviewed for the position with the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but could be exactly what the Colts are looking for in their man.

On Wednesday, two other candidates were reported. The first, by Pro Football Talk, is Pete Carmichael Jr., the New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator. The Colts asked the Saints for permission to interview Carmichael, who has been with the Saints as their top offensive mind for three seasons.

In addition to Carmichael, the Colts requested permission from the Tennessee Titans to interview defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. Gray will satisfy Rooney Rule requirements for the Colts, but he's considered a serious candidate in his abilities as a secondary expert, where the Colts need an awful lot of help.

The Rooney Rule is so embarrassing, when people report interviews with African American coaches as " satisfying the Rooney Rule ".

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    With Zimer they can hold onto Clyde as the OC. That would atleast lower the impact of totally new system on offense and defense. Plus maybe Peyton wouldn't be too ticked that the system changed completely.

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

As long as he didn't bring his son along, I would love to have Marty Schottenheimer. I know he is older at this point, but I still think he would be a fantastic coach. I have always thought he got a raw deal in San Diego. The Chargers have not done anything to prove that he was the problem in the playoffs all those year. In fact, I believe he was responsible for helping that dysfunctional team overachieve year after year. May be an unpopular choice, but I'm sticking with it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I'd rather have Caldwell back then EVER hire Mornhinweg as a head coach.
    You do not want your head coach to think its a great idea to kick the ball off at the start of overtime?

I just want a coach who knows how to use timeouts.

Colts are set to interview Tressel for head coach job.. That worries me.. Hes been a winner but I just don't know.. I don't think his offense is very good for NFL

I'm warming up to Greg Roman, the 49ers OC. Not a lot of talent on that offense, but they pepper in some clever running plays and utilize the weapons they do have very effectively. They keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I just read on another board that Dakich is saying that Nick Saban is in the mix as well. No idea if it is true but just passing it along.

I hope its not true.