Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline(March 15,2012) Who the pacers add...

Default Trade Deadline(March 15,2012) Who the pacers add...

After reading this.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ht-howard-land

Obviously we are way below the salary cap. Teams who wants to unload salaries will try to sweeten deals like draft picks. We can be the third team of this dwight howard trade.

Default Re: Trade Deadline(March 15,2012) Who the pacers add...

That wouldn't surprise me at all. We are probably the most desirable 3rd team with the cap space.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's the most interesting bit from our point of view:

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Stein
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One leftover question from the whole Dwight Howard discussion to the left: Is there any scenario where the Nets, fearing that they won't be able to trade for Howard and thus putting themselves at great risk for losing Deron Williams in free agency this summer, decide to trade D-Will before the March 15 deadline to avoid that nightmare scenario?

Sources briefed on New Jersey's thinking say that there's only one such scenario.

If Howard is traded to the Lakers before the deadline, sources say New Jersey would then be forced to explore its D-Will trade options, knowing that Williams would be a virtual lock to leave come July. If Orlando keeps Howard or deals him anywhere else but L.A. or Dallas before the deadline, thus keeping alive its dream of pairing the two in Brooklyn next fall, New Jersey will wait.

The Nets, in other words, would have to be all the way out of the Howard Sweepstakes before abandoning their plans, having sacrificed so much last February (Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and two first-round picks) just to get D-Will.
    If Dwight ends up with the Lakers, and the Nets are, more or less, forced to move Deron Williams, you'd have to think we would be one of the front-runners to acquire him.

The Nets' trade for Deron Williams is going to go down as one of the worst all time.

Deron is supposed to be a great player and the Nets are even worse with him. In addition, he may not even sign an extension.

So basically New Jersey gave away its future to rent an overrated player for a year and a half and didn't even win while he was there.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 01-14-2012 at 11:09 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    The Nets' trade for Deron Williams is going to go down as one of the worst all time.

Deron is supposed to be a great of a player and the Nets are even worse with him. In addition, he may not even sign an extension.

So basically New Jersey gave away its future to rent an overrated player for a year and a half and didn't even win while he was there.
    Teams have taken the notion of consolidating talent too far, and the Pacers and Nuggets are making them look like fools.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not saying he will necessarily go to Indiana, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see John Wall change teams. To make the salaries work in order to get a fair deal, someone may have to stomach the Rashard Lewis contract for a couple of years.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

If Dwight ends up with the Lakers, and the Nets are, more or less, forced to move Deron Williams, you'd have to think we would be one of the front-runners to acquire him.
    If we could get away with just sending DC and a few picks then I'm all for it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

If the Hornets keep losing. How bout a second rnd pick and rent Kaman for the playoffs.

Sports Logo

Hope we could end up getting a true backup SF somehow.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

At this point, I don't think I would want to involve anyone in a trade unless it was D. Jones, Lou, Jeff P. or A.J.

I like our core group and can't wait to see how they are performing come playoff time.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    At this point, I don't think I would want to involve anyone in a trade unless it was D. Jones, Lou, Jeff P. or A.J.

I like our core group and can't wait to see how they are performing come playoff time.
    i like the core group, but there's not anyone on the team that i would be willing to trade for a better player.

with the success of this group and the emergence of the young guys, the pacers can wait for a double good deal. a good deal for a good player.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I'd be very careful about trading for Deron Williams. Remember you have to extend him. He is going to get a Max contract of about 17 million a year. Then you have to Extend Hibbert and Hill as well. Then you have Hansbrough to extend as well. I don't see David West playing more than 2 years with the Pacers unless he comes back for alot less money.

Hansbrough isn't going to command a bunch of money, but he will easily get 7-8 million a year. It will be almost impossible to keep this group together if you trade for D.Williams.

I think to get Dwill in a trade you have to give up DC + Granger + 1st. THats alot to give up.

Honestly if i'm Larry Bird I wouldn't want to do that to Granger. He has stuck by the franchise while we were in the doldrums for 4-5 years. To trade him to the worst team in the league would be terrible. I hope next year they offer Danny an opportunity to rework his deal to keep the winning going. Extend him for another 4 years at 9 Million per.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 01-15-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

Honestly if i'm Larry Bird I wouldn't want to do that to Granger. He has stuck by the franchise while we were in the doldrums for 4-5 years. To trade him to the worst team in the league would be terrible.
    Uhh, I don't really care. It's not like the dude is Reggie Miller. He got a great contract largely based on the lack of opportunities around him and capitalized on that. Trading Granger for a hands down top 5 PG in the NBA is a no brainer and to not want to do so to just be nice is crazy talk.

You make a deal like this without even blinking.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

21. The Following User Says Thank You to A.B.Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post

This. I really see no reason to go out and trade our developing players/eat up cap space. We have a chance to build a very talented core group and have the option of extending contracts. I think we should hold off for a bit and see where this group takes us, unless a ridiculous opportunity presents itself.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If D-Will somehow makes it to free agency, I think we have a really good chance. But I do not want to break up our core for just 1 player in a trade.

Sports Logo

I posted this in the other thread about Mayo, but I think it is also relevant for this thread.

Teams looking to shed salary to get under the cap where there will be opportunities to take on some assets while using the Capspace that we have.

The Pacers have a $43 mil Salary Cap in 2011 and $36 mil in 2012.

Below are the Teams that have a salarycap over $60 mil ( according to Hoopsworld ) in 2011:

Lakers - $88 mil
    Celtics - $77 mil
    Miami - $76 mil
    Spurs - $74 mil
    Mavs - $74 mil
    Hawks - $72 mil
    Grizzlies - $71 mil
    Magic - $71 mil
    Blazers - $71 mil
    Bulls - $69 mil
    Pistons - $67 mil
    Clippers - $65 mil
    Sixers - $65 mil
    Suns - $65 mil
    Hornets - $64 mil
    Knicks - $64 mil

Any other Team not included in the above lists have roughly $57 to $60 mil in Salary for the 2011-2012 season.

Of the Teams that are above the Luxury Tax......what realistic options could we get at the cost of a 2nd round pick in the year 3000 and a TPE that would help us get to that next level?

The following Teams are the only Teams that have any Capspace in 2011 to make absorb a contract without sending anything back ( basically the only Teams that we will be competing against to receive assets back without sending something back ):

Cavs $51 mil
    Kings $50 mil
    Raptors $53 mil

A few questions....what is the minimum Salary that we have to have at the end of the 2011 Season?

Knowing this...it will give us an idea about how much Salary that we can absorb in any deal.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Hope we could end up getting a true backup SF somehow.
    Arias is likely available....but his contract is $6.9/$7.3/$7.8 mil

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I've become pretty convinced that we have a chance to play in the ECF. We could easily be a 3 or 4 seed. We should only make a move if we have an injury.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I say, seeing how the team is 9-3 and third in the east, that maybe we shouldn't be worried so much about deadline trades. It's pretty clear that D. West and George Hill are the steals of the off season.

And can you imagine, we still have room to grow as a team. Let the other posers fight over Dwight and Deron, I'd rather not waste the effort.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    Uhh, I don't really care. It's not like the dude is Reggie Miller. He got a great contract largely based on the lack of opportunities around him and capitalized on that. Trading Granger for a hands down top 5 PG in the NBA is a no brainer and to not want to do so to just be nice is crazy talk.

You make a deal like this without even blinking.
    You don't do this deal at all. Team chemistry will be ruined

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure if it needs to be Deron, but I think we could work in 1 true max contract player with this group.
    Our max guy at 17
    Granger at 13
    Hibbert at 12 (if extended)
    George at 7-10
    Hans at 7
    That's 56-59 mil on our starters for the future. We could fill out the remaining 8 spots and still be under the L.T. Right now our 8 lowest paid players combine to make just of 12 mil. We might have to choose between West or Hill but that could be fixed with a trade and would be a small sacrifice to make for an all star point guard.
    If Hibbert or George continue to improve and require more money for their following contract in 5 years, Granger may be due for a significant reduction. Either way we'd be looking at 2016 or 2017 which is a long time away, and a lot will happen by then.
    I'm not worried about Hill getting that much, and West would likely sign for less after these 2 years unless he really returns to an all star level.
    I guess I'm just saying it's tight but it's possible to bring in a max contract player without being afraid of losing our young core. It would be a great deal easier if we could net Rondo in a trade with his 10 mil per year contract. We could send out DC and West and still afford to go after another big man in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'd be very careful about trading for Deron Williams. Remember you have to extend him. He is going to get a Max contract of about 17 million a year. Then you have to Extend Hibbert and Hill as well. Then you have Hansbrough to extend as well. I don't see David West playing more than 2 years with the Pacers unless he comes back for alot less money.

Hansbrough isn't going to command a bunch of money, but he will easily get 7-8 million a year. It will be almost impossible to keep this group together if you trade for D.Williams.

I think to get Dwill in a trade you have to give up DC + Granger + 1st. THats alot to give up.

Honestly if i'm Larry Bird I wouldn't want to do that to Granger. He has stuck by the franchise while we were in the doldrums for 4-5 years. To trade him to the worst team in the league would be terrible. I hope next year they offer Danny an opportunity to rework his deal to keep the winning going. Extend him for another 4 years at 9 Million per.

I would like them to rent one of the china players for the rest of the year. Wilson Chandler or JR Smith give us some added depth at the wing position without giving up anyone.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If we could land Wilson Chandler when he's available I would cry of happiness, we would automatically be the deepest team.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

One thing to consider.....with the Knicks utter dis-regard for loyalty to their Players.....although they have $60 mil tied to 3 Players ( MeloDrama, Amare and Chandler ) and are over the cap.....I'd say that the Knicks would be DWill's primary choice and a likely destination for him. if Dwight isn't an option for the Nets and they are forced to move DWill now or lose him for nothing.....I can easily see the Knicks offering up Amare and an overweight BDiddy to the Nets in exchange for DWill and Kris Humphries.

Keep in mind that CP3 will likely IMHO stay in ClipperLand....which means that there won't be any other Top-Tier PG available other than DWill. Given the Knicks willingness to throw anyone under the bus ( see Billups and Tyson Chandler ) in an effort to get a top tier player....I would not be surprised if this happened.

this is a pure random question....what happened to Devin Harris? He fell off the map
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.