Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Granger embarrassed himself

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Granger embarrassed himself

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The officiating was a bit harsh on the Pacers. So I agree on that point. But Granger is routinely snuffed out like a candle on a birthday cake. IOW, he needs to get his own house in order before he starts talking smack. Dude normally either turns it over, gets blocked, misses a weak fadeaway or dribbles blindly into a charge when he attempts to score in the paint. He really needs to learn how to do that in practice before he tries it in games.

In contrast, Reginald Miller delivered by far the most pain on his opponent and has all the right in the world to talk some smack. Unlike Granger and JO, he earned that right by playing at a high level when the game was on the line. Not just in the regular season or 1st round, but deep into the playoffs. Goodness, Reg's just a lot better player.
    Reggie also had overall better discretion.

His choking signs to the fans or the bench are a different trash talk than to this opponents, which are different than how he argued with the refs.

If you are going to fancy yourself as a hollywood show star on center stage, you better have the skills to know what kind of behavior is appropriate in each situation.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I had more issues with the first tech. Danny whines about non-existent fouls way too often for my liking.

The second tech was silly (on Danny's part), but weak. A sign of how soft the league's become.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I don't know if some here know this, the NBA from the 90's was way different than the new NBA, now they give more techs for taunting an opponent, even Mutombo at the end of his career was getting techs for doing his signature finger wag.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Reggie also had overall better discretion.

His choking signs to the fans or the bench are a different trash talk than to this opponents, which are different than how he argued with the refs.

If you are going to fancy yourself as a hollywood show star on center stage, you better have the skills to know what kind of behavior is appropriate in each situation.
    I agree, but the officials allowed more of it too. Dikembe used to wave his finger like a flag. People need to lighten up, including the people getting their shots blocked.

With that said, I watched most of the games in the 1990's. For those who did not, I must say I feel sorry for them. The good news is, we are slowly climbing back in that direction...

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't know if some here know this, the NBA from the 90's was way different than the new NBA, now they give more techs for taunting an opponent, even Mutombo at the end of his career was getting techs for doing his signature finger wag.
    The new NBA isn't nearly as entertaining and that includes times when the Pacers stunk. Bird/Magic and the Jordan era blows this stuff away. The NBA is way down from that period. Wake me up when another Space Jam movie hits or McDonalds is selling McLeBron burgers. Maybe not in attendance because of a growing population, but generally in our culture.

I'm hoping this little incident will help move Danny toward being the type of leader he needs to be on this team. He has clearly wanted to be a positive leader for this team for some time, but hasn't had the discipline to do that very effectively. I think Vogel is a positive influence, though, in him developing that discipline.

Danny needs to have the discipline to play the kind of defense he's capable of playing more consistently. He's taking steps in that direction so far this season. He also needs the discipline to stick with taking good shots - being patient and helping the offense work the ball until it gets the best shot it can. Playing great defense and having great ball movement and player movement on offense game after game and play after play is hard work that takes tremendous determination and Danny needs to become one of the team's leaders in having the toughness and resolve to make this happen. One of the reasons there is so much disagreement here about how good Danny is and his value to the team is that there is this gap between what he's capable of being and how well he plays in certain moments on the one hand and then what he too often is - an undisciplined shooter who takes contested 3s and doesn't give his best on defense consistently.

Danny can be one of the role models for Paul George, Lance Stephenson and other young Pacers in a good way or a bad way. I think Paul George, for instance, doesn't play defense with as much intensity or consistency as he did as a rookie. The older players need to show Paul that's not acceptable through their actions and not just words. I don't think last night's taunting was that big of a deal - although I had no problem with Danny being thrown out of the game - but I believe in Danny's case it was part of pattern of still not being as focused as he needs to be to become the player that he is capable of becoming. I hope he'll use the ejection as motivation to continue building his mental strength and focus, which are essential to getting the most out of his physical talents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

I just went back and watched it again. Just a bizarre call.

Granger's momentum was already carrying him towards Davis. Most if not all of his "walking towards" Davis was just killing momentum. He made no gestures and said nothing. Very weak call.

It's interesting, though, that he got mugged on the previous possession and got no call. I couldn't tell if Davis was the one who hit him, but either way it's possible the refs were more worried about the game getting snippy since the Pacers were coming back so fast and playing such hard basketball.

The Raptors announcers had just finished saying "If you're a basketball purist, you've got to love what Indiana's doing. They just keep hitting you and hitting you."

EDIT: I missed the first quarter last night, and understand that Danny's poor play was a big part of that. But in the second-half run to erase the deficit, Danny was clearly driving a lot of it. Great defense and pretty good offense, including some excellent post play. Excellent energy at attacking the Raptors.
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Here is a video of Shaq doing the finger wag to Mutombo and getting a tech, good explanation from Mike T on the video also.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

The only thing that is embarrassing is the Raptors blowing their lead, the officials doing a terrible officiating job and the people that actually think Danny done so ****ing wrong. PD...Where Amazing Happens!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last I checked, this is supposed to be a "smash-mouth" team. What's wrong with some attitude and edginess? Thats the way we need to play to be successful. Does it suck he got kicked out of the game? Sure! But to say he hasnt been a big part of our 8-3 record is downright crazy. Where was all this hate when DG was giving it to the Hawks? Or last season when he was playing well against the Bulls in the playoffs?

Say what you want about DG, but he's still our best player, and pretty much the only one who can score 20pts consistantly.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Let's call a spade a spade here...it was really stupid for Granger to pull that when he knew he was one tech away from an early shower.

That said....it was a pretty weak technical, and you certainly want your leaders to show some nastiness on the floor.

I have no issue with what he did, but it was the absolute wrong situation for him to do it.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Granger's momentum was already carrying him towards Davis. Most if not all of his "walking towards" Davis was just killing momentum. He made no gestures and said nothing. Very weak call.

It's interesting, though, that he got mugged on the previous possession and got no call. I couldn't tell if Davis was the one who hit him, but either way it's possible the refs were more worried about the game getting snippy since the Pacers were coming back so fast and playing such hard basketball.

The Raptors announcers had just finished saying "If you're a basketball purist, you've got to love what Indiana's doing. They just keep hitting you and hitting you."

EDIT: I missed the first quarter last night, and understand that Danny's poor play was a big part of that. But in the second-half run to erase the deficit, Danny was clearly driving a lot of it. Great defense and pretty good offense, including some excellent post play. Excellent energy at attacking the Raptors.
    I didn't mind the Raptors commentators, I thought they gave us credit like that on several occasions. I definitely think Danny was killing us in the 1st, but I didn't pay enough attention to see if he helped get us back in it or not.

Danny is definitely still a valuable member of this team, and I really don't think we are winning despite him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Last I checked, this is supposed to be a "smash-mouth" team. What's wrong with some attitude and edginess? Thats the way we need to play to be successful. Does it suck he got kicked out of the game? Sure! But to say he hasnt been a big part of our 8-3 record is downright crazy. Where was all this hate when DG was giving it to the Hawks? Or last season when he was playing well against the Bulls in the playoffs?

Say what you want about DG, but he's still our best player, and pretty much the only one who can score 20pts consistantly.
    Staring somebody down isn't tough. I know lots of clowns who can try to stare you down after they make a play.

Banging on you and making plays all game long is tough. Danny may be pretty tough, but he can and will get tougher.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

Come on now, this isn't even debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Granger via IndyStar.com
    “I forgot I already had a tech,” Granger said as he was walking out the locker room. “I usually don’t get techs. I was going to stare at him and try to get u rowdy.”
    It was clearly a taunt, and it was Danny's intent, straight from his mouth.

it's an extremely boneheaded play given the circumstances if you're Solomon Jones, and it's even worse when you're as important to the team as Danny Granger. It shouldn't matter what you think of Danny. It crossed the line and is a textbook example of taunting.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A good stare-down is a good tactic is used at the appropriate time. Ben Wallace, Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo were masters at crushing your spirit after they'd crushed your shot. It's often worth eating a technical. It's just not worth getting ejected over.

Again, I think we can all agree that wasn't the appropriate time. You have to be aware of the situation.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

It was stupid, but it didn't cost us a game and it's not going to affect him this game. He still needs to grow up and not do that, but this time it didn't do any harm.

Granger's D has been great this year. Just ask the guy who he is going to guard tonight: Paul Pierce. Pierce was shut down last time we played them. Look for it to happen again.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

I see why the league wants to prevent the post block tauntings, but they need to be more consistent. I'm pretty sure Javale McGee does a 5 second stare down after every one of his dunks and blocks. I'm not sure he gets called on it all the time. I personally think it adds to the game, but I also love pre malice at the palace physicality.

As much as I want to bash him for his horrific offense, his defense has been All NBA like. I just can't deny that. Was last night bad? Yes. But I actually appreciate the spirit. The intensity. Also, he plays his best against Boston so I expect a big game tonight.
    Last edited by Foul on Smits; 01-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.

I just watched the video, and seriously he got ejected for that!? That's stupid.

Don't we have a knee-jerk reaction thread?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BKK For This Useful Post:

This Thread just embarrassed the PacersDigest:

So Granger stared someone down. We need that type of intensity. He didn't stomp the guy or throw punch.

I'm going to take up for Granger; and here is the reason:

Granger has been the face of the Pacers for several years. He has spent his prime here and even though we struggled he stayed true to Indiana. He didn't talk about the Pacers, or his lack of teammates, or what management was doing, he stayed VERY positive. Most importantly he didn't request a trade. Now we are doing good, you want to throw him to the curb because of a stare down? Let me tell you something, he may be in a slump but I promise you 90% of teams come into Indiana and plan their defense around Granger. I will promise another thing, if Granger went down you would beg to have him back; especially come playoffs.

He is our best player and we wouldn't be as good without him, like it or not.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BoomBaby31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    It was the context. First, the Pacers were on a big run and they were doing it with physicality. So the tension was rising. Second, they probably thought it ludicrous when a guy who routinely has his own shot blocked is talking smack the one time he gets someone good. Refs probably thought he deserved the tech on that basis alone.

I'm just gonna say that Roy's done something very similar to what Danny did last night multiple times this season after blocks. So if you have a problem with the actual "stare down" that Danny did, you should probably be aware that Roy has definitely added that as part of his game on the interior.

Obviously, the timing was not ideal, but the action itself was nothing to be upset over.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I thought he handled it well

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This Thread just embarrassed the PacersDigest:

So Granger stared someone down. We need that type of intensity. He didn't stomp the guy or throw punch.

I'm going to take up for Granger; and here is the reason:

Granger has been the face of the Pacers for several years. He has spent his prime here and even though we struggled he stayed true to Indiana. He didn't talk about the Pacers, or his lack of teammates, or what management was doing, he stayed VERY positive. Most importantly he didn't request a trade. Now we are doing good, you want to throw him to the curb because of a stare down? Let me tell you something, he may be in a slump but I promise you 90% of teams come into Indiana and plan their defense around Granger. I will promise another thing, if Granger went down you would beg to have him back; especially come playoffs.

He is our best player and we wouldn't be as good without him, like it or not.
    That's all true, but he's not at the level that he should be talking smack. He has a whole lot of work to do on his own game. The main problem is the frequency of his turnovers, dribbling for a charge, getting his own shot blocked, attempting to work that weak post game of his. None of that is working well. He needs to fix that in practice and until he has that down he needs to be a spot up shooter.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: