Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Stuffing the Raptors

Default Odd Thoughts: Stuffing the Raptors

Itís probably to early in the season to call any game a disaster but I will say this, had we lost that game I would have probably considered it a disaster because in effect it would have negated the victory vs. the Hawks.

Yes I know that you should never take any NBA team lightly but letís be honest there are times you look at the schedule and go that games going to be a struggle, that game is winnable if we play right and donít have any bad luck, this game is a lost cause and this game is one we should take.

Well Iím sure when all of us looked at the schedule and saw the upcoming games we have this is the one game where Iím sure most of us went ďwe should take this oneĒ.

WhewÖ. Skin of our teeth for sure in that one but weíll take it. Look this isnít your older brothers Raptors, these guys actually defend and Casey should be given very high marks as a coach for getting a pretty motley cru of players to actually be a very tight defensive unit.

That being said we also have to give our own blue & gold high marks for being a tenacious team that doesnít quite. A lot of this has to do with coaching but the players also have to buy in and right now I think they do, well itís more than think our record speaks for itself.

We keep winning, we win ugly, we have to scrap by and sometimes you wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. But maybe thatís just the character or our team. Maybe we will overcome with team ball. In fact as I look around the NBA this season a few things stand out to me. Three of the best teams in the NBA are great teams and have no real true superstar on any of them. Philly, Indiana & Denver all are true teams and each have very good players but there is no Derrick Rose or LeBron James on any of these teams.

Now time will tell if this can hold but I for one long for a time when actual team basketball was still a viable option to winning and I think that right now it is.

Our schedule is going to get tougher as far as the competition goes but thatís perfectly fine, because if we are going to be a good team we have to beat good teams.

Letís do tonightís version of odd thoughts by way of grading the players.

Darren Collison: B+ He pulled this one out of the fire btw. His grade for the first quarter would not have been pretty but as time went on Darren started to get up on Calderon and often times the Raptors were initiating their offense with about 10 seconds left in the shot clock and they were doing it 30 feet from the basket. This was due to Darren locking in. He still let him get by him to often and his shooting was atrocious but he hit his free throws and did not turn the ball over.

Paul George: B He played very good defense and he did help out on the boards, but he has got to be more aggressive in getting his shot. There was no Danny there tonight to blame for him not being able to get shots so he needs to make himself more a part of the offense. Also while Iím at it Iíll say it now he is being too cute with his layups. I donít know if this is a no dunk policy because itís passť thing or not but these flip underhanded layups are not good shots. Iím not asking him to tomahawk windmill it over someone Iím just saying when your at the rim take the 100% shot of dunking it instead of watching it go long off of the glass. But Iím not complaining too much, he still had a good overall game.

Roy Hibbert: B Ok so I jinxed him, in my last odd thoughts I pointed out that he did not have one single foul vs. the Hawks. He was just saving them up for tonight. I give Casey a lot of credit for Royís problems tonight, Roy never really had much of a chance to go one on one and when he did they did a good job of cutting off the baseline on him. Now Roy did not help matters by turning the ball over to much but Iíll say this, if we are at the point with Roy where we are saying that a game where he scores 15 points & grabs 9 rebounds is a down game for him, well there is only one symbol for that. $$

David West: B+ Iíd really like to give him two grades one for the overall game which would probably be a B at best but then Iíd like to give him an end of the 4th quarter grade which would probably be an A+. Even his accidental foul of Magloire ended up paying huge dividends. Games like these are why he is here and why he is so valuable. He did nothing flashy, nothing youíre going to see in a highlight but he made all of the right plays. His offensive production at winning time (stealing from Ahmad Rashad) is why the Celtics wanted him and why we are very lucky to have him.

Danny Granger: F Idiot

George Hill: A+ We donít win this game without George Hill. I canít say it any other way. On both sides of the floor this guy was the boss. I mean for the love of God he had 5 steals to go along with his 22 points and this is the production you are getting from your backup guard. You wonder why our record is 8-3? Wonder no more because our bench comes in and outplays the other teamís starters often times. We all cheered at the draft party we had when the trade went down and Iím telling you that as the season progresses we will all be cheering a lot more.

Tyler Hansbrough: A- Ok I promised the last time that I wasnít going to give him any higher grades than a B until he got an assist, well since then he now has 5 and he got 2 more tonight so Iíll go ahead and give him a little higher than he probably deserves. One was a great kick out to Paul George who sank the 3 pointer and honestly I donít know how he got his 2nd one but I guess he must have. That rebound he secured (after Paul George kept it alive) of the missed West free throw put the game out of play because we all knew that Tyler was going to hit his free throws. He hasnít had the explosive game lately like he started the season with but he is settling into a nice role on the team and he is still finding ways to contribute.

Lou Amundson: B He does exactly what you want your back up backup center to do. He plays with energy, is physical on defense and is always trying to rebound. Itís not pretty but Iím telling you over the course of the season his contributions, however small, will help in the overall winning. Also for a guy who canít shoot very well he is not half bad at the free throw line (not counting the knuckleball he threw at the Atlanta game).

Lance Stephenson: C Not really a good or bad game from Lance and in fact Iím a little surprised that he didnít play a little more but I think they might have been afraid of his defense in the second half. Nice to see though that he is now actually hitting some shots.

Dahntay Jones: C+ Like Lance he really was just there. Not a bad game and at the very least he didnít stall out the offense, in fact I think over the past week and a half he has done a very good job of trying not to do that. But he is who he is and it will occur on occasion.

I would like to give a special shout out to Larry Bird and David Morway. Our two off season acquisitions really pulled our fat out of the fire tonight.

Also another special shout out to Jamaal Magloire for making Chris Dudley look like Mark Price.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Stuffing the Raptors

When you are unable to watch the game it really makes you appreciate these Odd thoughts threads.

Thanks Peck
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Banned

I saw it also asked in the game thread so I checked and the other Hansbrough assist came from stealing the ball and passing up to Paul George who took that awkward shot on a 3 on 1 break.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you are unable to watch the game it really makes you appreciate these Odd thoughts threads.

Thanks Peck
    I second that. Thank you for these. I really wish I had DVR...or that the NBA had some sort of VOD service.

Thanks Peck, good read. George Hill has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Also another special shout out to Jamaal Magloire for making Chris Dudley look like Mark Price.....
    TWO airballs?!!? I yelled to my wife that's the worst FT shooting I've seen since I witnessed George McGinnis shoot one over the backboard.

Chris Dudley once went to the line to shoot six free throws (there were 4 lane violations) and he missed them all.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'd like some more thoughts on Granger's F.

But, yes, George Hill is turning beastly. I wrote in the postgame that we can win, apparently, without Granger, but I don't think we can win without George Hill.

George Hill plays the game the right way. He pulled up at the foul line on a 3-2 fast break for the high percentage shot. (I haven't seen a Pacer do that in years.) He is money at the free throw line. He finds the teammate in the post immediately, while our other players wait until 8 seconds left on the shot clock. He knows when to set up the offense and when to go strong to the hoop. This guy is just fantastic.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior View Post
    TWO airballs?!!? I yelled to my wife that's the worst FT shooting I've seen since I witnessed George McGinnis shoot one over the backboard.
    For guys like BBall who didn't watch the game, they weren't just airballs. He missed the rim short by one or two feet. You can't make it up.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

when your at the rim take the 100% shot of dunking it instead of watching it go long off of the glass.
    Unless your Darren Collison, then you should just lay it in.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Oh, and George Hill's defense on Barbosa was good in the second half.

That guy is a great scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior View Post

Chris Dudley once went to the line to shoot six free throws (there were 4 lane violations) and he missed them all.
    Do you have a link for the McGinnis one? lol I'd love to see that.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Hill is much more comfortable. His overall shooting percentage is above his career now. He's been on fire of late.

PG needs to step it up offensively, and stop getting lazy on passes and these girly layups. You are about 6'10, he should be dunking those. At least with a dunk attempt you have a higher chance of getting fouled than with a layup.

I don't know how Hibbert now sneaks up on you with these 15 and 9 games. If that is quiet, hot damn! Gotta feed Hibbert more (if he can cut down on the TOs...6 last night!).

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

That's all that guy can do and he does it very well.

Now really free Lance!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Please do not quote the entire post if all you are going to add is a oneliner, people who read this far have read the opening post. (a)
    Very good grades Peck, I totally agree with you especially on Granger.
    Last edited by able; 01-14-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: no need for quoting the whole thing, ppl less fortunate want to read the thread too

Chuck hayes is not anymore alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Do you have a link for the McGinnis one? lol I'd love to see that.
    Same here. That would be a blast to see.

Anyone know if it happened in High School, college or Pros?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by edc View Post
    Chuck hayes is not anymore alone.
    TO Chuck's defense his career FT% is at 60,7%. He has improved his FTs a lot over the last 1 and a half season.

Peck, if Dale Davis was still in the league and they called taunting like that, he'd be thrown out of every game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny Granger: F Idiot
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Peck, if Dale Davis was still in the league and they called taunting like that, he'd be thrown out of every game.
    Just the act of Dale Davis stepping on the floor is taunting. Heck, fans wearing his jersey probably strikes fear in many players.

It's a shame the NBA has turned into Dancing with the Stars...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Can you imagine how many games Reggie would have been thrown out of, in particular if they called taunting for talking to the bench?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

One thing that I would like to point out that I noticed in the last 2 games.....the Team was able to get opposing Team into "the bonus" with 8 minutes ( against the Raptors ) and between 9-10 minutes ( against the Hawks ) in the 4th QTR. I really like that we excel at doing this.

The problem is that I don't think ( and I could be wrong ) that we really take advantage of this...especially in the 4th QTR. I didn't really notice that we went to the FT line as much as we should when we are in the "Bonus". Am I wrong in this?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

One thing that I noticed....for some reason we kept on leaving the lane open where he was able to drive...at least twice from the 3pt line to the paint ( right down the middle ) and lay it in.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    One thing that I would like to point out that I noticed in the last 2 games.....the Team was able to get opposing Team into "the bonus" with 8 minutes ( against the Raptors ) and between 9-10 minutes ( against the Hawks ) in the 4th QTR. I really like that we excel at doing this.

The problem is that I don't think ( and I could be wrong ) that we really take advantage of this...especially in the 4th QTR. I didn't really notice that we went to the FT line as much as we should when we are in the "Bonus". Am I wrong in this?
    This is what happens when you are not a team that plays outside in and does not value shot selection.

Our teams over the past few years were routinely outshot from the free throw line every single game and often times by a great margin.

Frank Vogel for President.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amundson is terrible, i'm sorry... all he does is get fouls and force bad shots when he does get a rebound.