Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hibbert's new mind-set, added strength reshape his game

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hibbert's new mind-set, added strength reshape his game

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh2315 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'd have to improve a fair bit to get 15 mill, and he has the potential to do so. I'm just sayin on his value now.

If he was asking for a contract right now? It wouldn't be right to pay him more than 12mill.
    If the older Marc Gasol and Nene can get about 14 mil a year, Hibbert is gonna too

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not getting this. They can only extend him for 4 years, so why would he not refuse it and go for the 5 year contract he can get if he goes to RFA status? I mean, yeah, I think the Pacers better offer something just so they don't get the whole "disrespected" garbage going, but I don't expect him to take it at this point.

The only "[offer] he can't refuse" would be "take the extension or we break your kneecaps".
    All I can say is Roy is an ultimate team player, and I hope he reads this. Waiting until the end of this season and letting his value get higher will just hurt the team more than it will help. Does he want to end up being the highest paid center in his bracket on a team that can't win a ring or does he want to win a championship? I mean if we offer him 12 million a year, why wouldn't he take it? To get 14 million and we lose a little talent? It just doesn't make sense to me. We love Roy here. I could survive of a million dollars for the rest of my life. Why does he automatically have to care about earning a couple extra million when he is already richer than probably anyone who posts here?

What is so wrong with him taking a deal for 10 million a year? That much money is beyond my wildest dreams. And it is to do something he loves in a place that loves him.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This guy was THE power broker of the NBA in the 90's AND he is Roy's agent.... Unless that extension is WAY over and above what they THINK they'll get on the open market... Mr. Falk isn't going to let Roy anywhere near a pen!

Able, the fact that the Pacers have not offered Roy an extension isn't that big of a deal considering it would just be a waste of paper... unless it's a max deal!

Like it or not... SOMEONE is going to PAY for ROY and it isn't going to be these penny ante pipe dream sums of $10M/per that keep getting floated around here!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 01-14-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not getting this. They can only extend him for 4 years, so why would he not refuse it and go for the 5 year contract he can get if he goes to RFA status? I mean, yeah, I think the Pacers better offer something just so they don't get the whole "disrespected" garbage going, but I don't expect him to take it at this point.

The only "[offer] he can't refuse" would be "take the extension or we break your kneecaps".
    If Roy takes the extension now (assuming one is offered) then he'll have the security of a long term contract for the rest of the season and during the offseason. Might not seem like much, but plenty of players have chosen security over maximum amount of $$$ before. Also, Jeff Green's case should act as a cautionary tale. Hopefully it would work out for him, but it must be nasty not to have a contract right now while dealing with a potentially career-ending condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Are you sure about this? I thought, considering we hold his Bird rights, that we were the only team that could offer 5 years? We can't offer him a 5 year contract right now?
    We can only offer a 4 year extension right now. If Roy goes to FA (or RFA actually), we can then offer a 5 year contract. Other teams are limited to 4 year offers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    If the older Marc Gasol and Nene can get about 14 mil a year, Hibbert is gonna too
    Marc is making around $14m, but Nene's only making $13m.

As posted by count55 in the other Roy thread, the new CBA max for Roy would look like this:

So, the max offer that Roy can get from another team is 4 years, $55m. We can offer 5 years, $74m - but hopefully it doesn't get to that range.
    Last edited by wintermute; 01-14-2012 at 08:13 AM.

We can offer 5 now, would also put Roy in a position where he can perhaps after that contract get another top notch one for 4 or 5 (@29) instead of 30+ 2 yr contracts

I said it before; there is no reason not to use your option to assign him with the 5th year.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

One reason not to sign him now is if Falk is demanding a max deal then there is no downside to waiting.

The thing that I found most curious is that they haven't even opened discussions with Hibbert.

Perhaps they feel it is best to keep the cap space for next off season maximized.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    We can offer 5 now, would also put Roy in a position where he can perhaps after that contract get another top notch one for 4 or 5 (@29) instead of 30+ 2 yr contracts

I said it before; there is no reason not to use your option to assign him with the 5th year.
    Can we offer 5 now, or is it only 4 since this year counts against the max # of years? I thought extensions were reduced by 1 year as compared to signing a player once they become a free agent.
    Either way, I think the only reason we should extend him now would be to save some money. There is no reason to extend him if it's going to be near the max. We'd be better off giving him that in the summer.