Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibbert's new mind-set, added strength reshape his game

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Hibbert's new mind-set, added strength reshape his game

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...shape-his-game

Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert's biggest critic stood 7-2, attended Georgetown and was the No. 17 pick in the 2008 draft.

His critic was blunt, no matter how high or low it made Hibbert. He had to tune out that critic -- himself -- because the constant emotional roller-coaster ride affected his production on the court too much.

At the same time, Hibbert started relaxation exercises to help ease his mind.

That, along with 15 pounds of added muscle, have made Hibbert almost a regular in the double-double department in points and rebounds for the Pacers (7-3) this season. He's tied for fourth in the league in double-doubles with six.

Hibbert heads into tonight's game at Toronto averaging 14.1 points and 9.9 rebounds.

"I've been doing, as crazy as it might sound, a lot of relaxation exercises to try and change my temperament," Hibbert said. "Sometimes I tend to spaz out on the court. This time I'm letting things go and I'm trying to play more focused."

The Pacers have until Jan. 25 to offer Hibbert a contract extension. He will be a restricted free agent if the sides don't agree to a deal by then. Pacers president Larry Bird said earlier this week the team has not begun talking about a new deal with Hibbert.

In the past, it was easy to tell how Hibbert was playing in a game by simply looking at his body language on the court. He played well when he was energetic, scored in the post, blocked shots or pointed up to his Area55 fan section at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Things weren't going his way when his energy level was low or he sulked on the bench.

Now, Hibbert's doing his best to try to maintain a middle ground no matter the situation.

"He's getting older, more mature, he's comfortable in his role, and he knows the ups and downs are not going to change his role," coach Frank Vogel said. "I think because of that, you can react to that less."

Hibbert enjoys having David West and Tyler Hansbrough play alongside him at power forward because he knows they also can score in the post.

Hibbert spent his first three years as the sole inside presence for the Pacers. They were an easy team to defend, relying primarily on jump shots.

"It helps having Tyler and D West being very active in the post because it leaves me one-on-one opportunities for offensive rebounds," Hibbert said. "And this year I've been set up a lot better in terms of where I want the ball in the post, and our spacing is a lot better."

Hibbert is getting deeper position in the post because his lower body is stronger after an offseason of strength training. He was squatting between 475 and 500 pounds.

Hibbert also does a 20-minute full-body workout with Shawn Windle, the team's strength and conditioning coach, after every home game.

"The emphasis is on legs because with such a compressed schedule it gives him the best opportunity to recover," Windle said. "So that next day when it's just a practice day, we don't do a hard workout. . . . It affects his ability to recover because the games are coming so fast."

The added strength is helping Hibbert shoot a career high from the field (54.5 percent). He isn't getting knocked off the box down low as easily as in the past, and he can launch his hook shot with either hand.

"I think I know how to position myself better," he said. "After four years, I should be able to learn something."

I think a lot of us on PD (myself included) might follow Roy's lead on trying relaxation techniques

Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Pass That

Default Re: Hibbert's new mind-set, added strength reshape his game

Thank God
    Spoiler Spoiler:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrPreGame For This Useful Post:

God, I love Frank Vogel, what a great quote. He knows exactly how to get the most out of his players. He should be the coach of the year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Hibbert is awesome. Definitely a keeper.

Hey Thingfish, the picture of your avatar, who is he? I have to watch a history channel show with him. Do you have a link?

Best. Hair. Ever.
    hahaha
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God, I love Frank Vogel, what a great quote. He knows exactly how to get the most out of his players. He should be the coach of the year.
    If we keep this up, he probably will

Hibbert also does a 20-minute full-body workout with Shawn Windle, the team's strength and conditioning coach, after every home game.

"The emphasis is on legs because with such a compressed schedule it gives him the best opportunity to recover," Windle said. "So that next day when it's just a practice day, we don't do a hard workout. . . . It affects his ability to recover because the games are coming so fast."
    20 min workout AFTER a game? That's intense! Is this a normal thing for athletes, I've never heard of that. I imagine he's gotta be exhausted after a game.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

Hey Thingfish, the picture of your avatar, who is he? I have to watch a history channel show with him. Do you have a link?

Best. Hair. Ever.
    hahaha
    Lol that's george tsoukalos (sp?) the host of ancient aliens. He's easy to watch because he understands just how crazy some of his theories may be and makes it clear that he's simply offering possibilities for impossible to explain anomalies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

Best. Hair. Ever.
    hahaha
    Here are some links about that guy and the Ancient Aliens show.

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_A._Tsoukalos

http://www.arcturi.com/AncientAliens...entAliens.html

And here is a special message from Neil Degrasse Tyson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

I'm not trying to take any credit, because it all belongs to Roy, but I'm glad my idea from the off season came true. I said I didn't know if Hibbert's legs were too long to do squats and lunges safely, but obviously they were. I emphasized them as the most important exercises for a basketball player because when I started doing them my junior year I went from being able to barely dunk to be able to slam them down. And I was a 6 foot white boy that wasn't supposed to be able to jump haha.

Hibbert can squat 500 pounds? No wonder the dude is looking like a shoe-in thus far for the coaches pick for the All Star game. I'm really glad he was thinking on the same wave length as me this summer. He is like a big brother to me that I've never even met. He just has such a loveable personality and demeanor. Guys like Roy are the types that help diminish the racial barriers in this country. He is the perfect role model for any child. He isn't tatted from head to toe living some thug life fantasy. He is someone the suburban kids and the kids in the ghetto can both look up to as a positive role model.

A 4 year graduate at Georgetown too, so you know the guy is intellectual. He is just such a fresh breathe of air from the Harrington/Jackson/Tinsley/Artest types that used to dominate this team. I would never want my kids to look up to those guys, but to Roy and several other players currently on our roster I would.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrankVogel View Post
    "and he knows the ups and downs are not going to change his role," coach Frank Vogel said.
    Wow.

I guess Frank is well aware of what may have been getting into Roy's head.

Chalk up another point for our new coach.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Has anyone else noticed how good Roy has become with his left hand? He hits that drop-step baby hook into the lane equally well from either side now. His left was always pretty effective, but it seems to have improved even more this season...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

"The Pacers have until Jan. 25 to offer Hibbert a contract extension. He will be a restricted free agent if the sides don't agree to a deal by then. Pacers president Larry Bird said earlier this week the team has not begun talking about a new deal with Hibbert."

I found it interesting that the Pacers have not talked to Hibbert about an extension. Apparently they are content to go to free agency and feel that is their best strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    "The Pacers have until Jan. 25 to offer Hibbert a contract extension. He will be a restricted free agent if the sides don't agree to a deal by then. Pacers president Larry Bird said earlier this week the team has not begun talking about a new deal with Hibbert."

I found it interesting that the Pacers have not talked to Hibbert about an extension. Apparently they are content to go to free agency and feel that is their best strategy.
    We still have 12 days to get a deal done. I would bet the front office already know what they want to give him. Why distract him? Give him an offer on the 24th he can't refuse and be on our way. No reason to give it to him today when anything could still happen.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Give him an offer on the 24th he can't refuse and be on our way.
    Not getting this. They can only extend him for 4 years, so why would he not refuse it and go for the 5 year contract he can get if he goes to RFA status? I mean, yeah, I think the Pacers better offer something just so they don't get the whole "disrespected" garbage going, but I don't expect him to take it at this point.

The only "[offer] he can't refuse" would be "take the extension or we break your kneecaps".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    20 min workout AFTER a game? That's intense! Is this a normal thing for athletes, I've never heard of that. I imagine he's gotta be exhausted after a game.
    Dennis Rodman used to do 1 hour on the stair climber after every game. 1 freaking hour. Do you have any idea how in shape you have to be to do 20 min on a stair climber without playing an NBA game?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not getting this. They can only extend him for 4 years, so why would he not refuse it and go for the 5 year contract he can get if he goes to RFA status? I mean, yeah, I think the Pacers better offer something just so they don't get the whole "disrespected" garbage going, but I don't expect him to take it at this point.

The only "[offer] he can't refuse" would be "take the extension or we break your kneecaps".
    Are you sure about this? I thought, considering we hold his Bird rights, that we were the only team that could offer 5 years? We can't offer him a 5 year contract right now?

I thought the rule about extensions only applied to trades? IE: extend and trades?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Dennis Rodman used to do 1 hour on the stair climber after every game. 1 freaking hour. Do you have any idea how in shape you have to be to do 20 min on a stair climber without playing an NBA game?
    That dude had crazy energy/drive. And I mean that in the best way possible.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Here are some links about that guy and the Ancient Aliens show.

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_A._Tsoukalos

http://www.arcturi.com/AncientAliens...entAliens.html

And here is a special message from Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Neil deGrasse Tyson has a few dubious, pseudoscientific beliefs of his own, but out of respect for the moderators, I'll not elaborate on what those beliefs are. Let's just say a few of his beliefs would be better categorized as magic, rather than science.

the fact he has not been offered an extensoin, reallly anyone wants to tell me Bird does a good job?????
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I love the fact the Hibbert is this serious about improving his game. It makes me feel like he will continue to improve and that a potential max contract wouldn't be a waste. I think we should extend Hibbert now only if it's going to save the team money. Since he's restricted, he's basically ours no matter what because we're going to match any offer he gets. If it takes a max contract to keep Hibbert then I don't see any reason for either side to be in a hurry to extend him. We might as well wait until the offseason so he can be signed for the additional year. I hope he can be extended now so the team can save a few bucks for other pieces.

Hibbert is a stud. That is all.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

And he'll only get more stronger.. He's a solid option for offense, and his D is improving every season. Keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I love the fact the Hibbert is this serious about improving his game. It makes me feel like he will continue to improve and that a potential max contract wouldn't be a waste. I think we should extend Hibbert now only if it's going to save the team money. Since he's restricted, he's basically ours no matter what because we're going to match any offer he gets. If it takes a max contract to keep Hibbert then I don't see any reason for either side to be in a hurry to extend him. We might as well wait until the offseason so he can be signed for the additional year. I hope he can be extended now so the team can save a few bucks for other pieces.
    Max? I dunno about that. 10-12 mill at most.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh2315 View Post
    Max? I dunno about that. 10-12 mill at most.
    I'd like to get him for that. But a guy over 7 feet tall who can make an impact on offense and defense? In a league where big men get PAID?
    It's not at all crazy to think he will get more than 10-12 million per year. Some team that doesn't share our owners views about restricted free agents may very well offer him a lot of money. I hope (and so far think that it's realistic to expect) to secure his services at 14-15 million per year.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

He'd have to improve a fair bit to get 15 mill, and he has the potential to do so. I'm just sayin on his value now.

If he was asking for a contract right now? It wouldn't be right to pay him more than 12mill.