Thread: Is O'neal trying to send a message?

Default Is O'neal trying to send a message?

These are quotes from Pacers.com:

PACERS FORWARD JERMAINE O'NEAL
    Right now I don't deserve to be a starter because I haven?t been there, the guys have a routine Cro and Scott had to play the big positions and I have to work my way in there, I truly believe if you have been out for awhile you have to find your way back, I don't deserve to be a starter right now and it is better for me physically not to be thrown back into it because even right now with 24 minutes I'm having some problems with my foot so but that's the plan, I'm gonna keep coming off the bench until I work my way back up there and my foot physically feels better.
    (Re Coming off the bench) It was something we talked about, Scott and Cro deserve to be starter right now, they worked hard and I have been out and haven't been practicing so I don't think it's a good idea to throw a guy back in there and mess up the rhythm of the starting five, I'm about winning so if I come off the bench for the next couple months or the rest of the year I'm with it, I know when I get in there I'm gonna make things happen and all I care about is winning.
    It sounds to me like he is trying to send Reggie a message. Will Reggie listen?

[edit=164=1099752801][/edit]

Default Re: Is O'neal trying to send a message?

No. And I think it is insulting to Reggie and J.O. to suggest that is the reason J.O. made those comments.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with UB.

Maybe it's a hidden dig at Al...?

Seriously, though, that's an awesome attitude to have. I think the chemistry is there now. The only thing holding us back now is ability (mostly shooting). This is as good a chance as we've ever had at taking the trophy.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

I think J.O. is just being honest, as he usually is.

Well, I agree that JO didn't do it for Reggie.

But that doesn't change the fact that when Reggie comes back, he'll be under pressure to come back off the bench. Which, IMO, is as it should be.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that doesn't change the fact that when Reggie comes back, he'll be under pressure to come back off the bench. Which, IMO, is as it should be.
    And that is exactly my point. What is Reggie going to do when he's ready to come back, ask to start or come off the bench?

O'neal comes out and says that people coming back need to come off the bench. And right now Fred is firing on all cylinders.

Mood

Jackson hasn't impressed me as a starter so far, he seems to play much better coming off the bench. That's the way it's going to be so all you Reggie haters need to just let it go.

ImCrazyB

I don't like the idea of Jermaine coming off the bench all year long. I think a month or so down the road he will be back in the starting 5 along with Reggie. Like the poster above me said, SJax seems to be more effective coming off of the bench.

I think it is best for the team that Jackson come off the bench. As I mentioned in another thread Jax needs a lot of shots to be most effective, and he'll get more shots coming off the bench.

Maybe Freddie should start ?

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I think it is best for the team that Jackson come off the bench. As I mentioned in another thread Jax needs a lot of shots to be most effective, and he'll get more shots coming off the bench.

He does bring a lot of energy - good defense...nice way to start things off.......

ImCrazyB

He should start until Uncle Reg comes back.

I like the idea of Fred starting. I think Jax could do more off the bench. When Reggie comes back, Reggie SHOULD come off the bench in short periods and Jax should play more Small Forward depending on how Bender is. But instead, I predict Miller will start, Jax will back him up, and some how, Fred Jones will find minutes late in the game to make big plays.

Somehow it will work, somehow, someway, Fred Jones will play dangit! Even if he has to play Power Forward!!!!

I'd like to point out that I'm being sarcastic.

And yes, I'm a romantic.

I certainly would hope that he does (though I AM somewhat biased). I think Jax would indeed be better off of the bench, since he can be a better lead scorer than Fred or anyone else. Fred I think would fit in better with the starters, and would actually improve the defense of the starting unit.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Reggie will know what to do.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.