Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this team from a somewhat disolusioned / starting to have new hope fan

Sports Logo

Default Thoughts on this team from a somewhat disolusioned / starting to have new hope fan

First let me say hi to Hicks Able Peck KStat and my good friend from down the road Haywoode nice to see you all!!

OK So after we drafted Hansbrough I pretty much lost all hope that the Pacers were ever going to interest me again. I was pretty excited by Hibbert but at that point he was still only seeing playing time from the end of the bench. Then we go and draft this big slug and I just said fine, if Larry is going to just draft big dumb clumsy white guys then I am not watching this crap.

You old timers who know who I am are going to laugh when you find out why I started watching again. I had read that the player that only I seemed to like was in the D league and was going to be playing in Fort Wayne against the Mad Ants (love that team name) and I got all excited and it started making me think about the Pacers again.

Of course he never actually came to Fort Wayne because he got picked up by an NBA team so I did not get to watch him play, but I watched the Pacers opener and then watched the next one and man I am kicking myself for not watching Hibbert this last couple of years. I dont yet have the same reverence for him as say the Great Dale Davis but I am sure warming up to him.

on the other players I still hate Hansbrough I am liking Collison so far, and Lance Stephenson is showing enough promise last night to make me want to keep watching. Thats enough to keep me interested as long as Hansbrough does not get the starting job.
    Last edited by Ragnar; 01-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on this team from a somewhat disolusioned / starting to have new hope fan

Well West should continue to improve as the season goes on and he gets his legs under him, we're already seeing his confidence in his midrange grow, and he's simply a much better player than Tyler, so I don't think you need to worry about Hans taking that job unless it's because of an injury.

And yeah I don't think anyone can accuse hibs of being soft this year. He's a double double guy in only 29 minutes per game, and some of the rebounds he's been yanking down have been really visceral and badass.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welcome back!

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on this team from a somewhat disolusioned / starting to have new hope fan

What makes you dislike Hansbrough so much? I understand being upset when got drafted, but for the most part hes been exactly, if not 50 times better than we ever expected him to be.

So what if he gets starting minutes, it would only mean hes outplayed D.West

Oh ya Welcome Back btw
    Last edited by CreekShow; 01-12-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    I Bleed Blue

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes you dislike Hansbrough so much? I understand being upset when got drafted, but for the most part hes been exactly, if not 50 times better than we ever expected him to be.

So what if he gets starting minutes, it would only mean hes outplayed D.West

Oh ya Welcome Back btw
    He left PD as soon as Tyler was drafted, I think he just really hates the guy for some reason

Mood

I wasn't excited about Hans being drafted (though I didn't hate it either). He has flaws that have been discussed ad nauseum. But he's better than I expected and better than most people expected, so you might want to give him a try as you watch with refreshed eyes this season. He's an important piece of what we're trying to accomplish right now.

Welcome back. The Mad Ants do have a great name. I've never seen them play since I was long gone from Fort Wayne by the time the team came into existence.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Wait, no it can't be, can it? Ragnar, really. What is next A-Train, oh wait.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welcome back Ragnar! Tyler is a good player to have coming off the bench for the Pacers. Give this a try and let me know if it makes him more bearable:

The next time the Pacers play and Tyler snags a tough rebound, deflects or steals the ball, blocks a shot, or hits one of those funky looking runners in the lane yell "Good Hands, Bro!". You'll find that there will probably be at least 3-4 moments a game that fit. You'll enjoy his time on the floor much more. You could even turn it into a drinking game (not that I'm endorsing overindulgence).

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    First let me say hi to Hicks Able Peck KStat and my good friend from down the road Haywoode nice to see you all!!

OK So after we drafted Hansbrough I pretty much lost all hope that the Pacers were ever going to interest me again. I was pretty excited by Hibbert but at that point he was still only seeing playing time from the end of the bench. Then we go and draft this big slug and I just said fine, if Larry is going to just draft big dumb clumsy white guys then I am not watching this crap.

You old timers who know who I am are going to laugh when you find out why I started watching again. I had read that the player that only I seemed to like was in the D league and was going to be playing in Fort Wayne against the Mad Ants (love that team name) and I got all excited and it started making me think about the Pacers again.

Of course he never actually came to Fort Wayne because he got picked up by an NBA team so I did not get to watch him play, but I watched the Pacers opener and then watched the next one and man I am kicking myself for not watching Hibbert this last couple of years. I dont yet have the same reverence for him as say the Great Dale Davis but I am sure warming up to him.

on the other players I still hate Hansbrough I am liking Collison so far, and Lance Stephenson is showing enough promise last night to make me want to keep watching. Thats enough to keep me interested as long as Hansbrough does not get the starting job.
    I just started posting again last week... I was a heavy poster on Indy Star back in the brawl era... Jermaine7Fan...

I have been watching and supporting the team through our down years but became a read only forum member basically due to limited time with my then new job with my family's business... But the Pacers success is to good to resist talking about anymore! And I can't carry actual Pacers conversations with people in my town as no one in Seymour seems to care about them as much as I do

I wonder how many more ghosts of forums past will start to come out of the woodworks?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Darn bandwagoners!

Welcome back....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned

I'm also not sure if we have space in the bandwagon anymore

Bandwagon ???

ma fwiend there drove the team-bus!

It's very very good to see ya again, and yes i had in mind you would travel to see the little fella at work, i too still have a weak spot for him, and amazingly enough am not enamored with Tyler.

Roy on the other hand..... to me he is a lovechild of DD and Rik Smits; the way he plays this year he is "tough"

last week of the season, 4 home-game stretch, i will be there, will you ?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Welcome back Ragnar. At the risk of chasing you away again, I wonder...did you ever find that DVD that you were going to send to me? I've got good balcony seats I can give you to just about whatever game you want in the regular season if you did.

Hey, I remember posting a response to you a while back about how you seem like someone who lost interest in the team like many fans during the rebuilding process and now you're back.

Guess I was right.

Watching more Pacers basketball, you'll appreciate Tyler. He's a hell of a 6th man and brings a ton of energy. He's proved a lot of doubters wrong this season. I don't know of a single Pacers fan who doesn't like him and there's no reason not to like him now.

Anyway, welcome back. It's nice to see you and many others back on board. Hopefully you watch more/attend more games.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 01-12-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

So basically you saved yourself the despair of watching the last few seasons of the train wreck that was Jim O'Briens coaching.

Welcome back and yes I saw Dustpan sitting and chearing on the Utah bench last night. I'm proud of him for making an honest effort and finding a new home.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

If you don't suffer through the bad years, the good years don't feel nearly as good...

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Minus points for the fairweather-ness. Minus points, also, for hating on Hansbrough. But welcome back!
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

The hate for Hans makes no sense. It's actually quite laughable.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cramerica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    The hate for Hans makes no sense. It's actually quite laughable.
    NO, first of all hate is not the right word, dislike is the correct one and secondly; the Hansbrough worshipping here of some has reached levels that makes you dislike the fellow to begin with.

If it was up to the Tyler-Fans he would be starting over West or some even suggested he play over Roy; now tell me, what does that look like to you?

Tyler is a nice bench player, IF HE STAYS within himself and his role.

He is not nor will he be starter material a la West or Hibbert..

That is not a bad thing, but his fans on this board make it so.

And don't you dare compare him to DD, because DD played with finesse and smarts whilst being tough. So far Hans has acted tough, but no finess and no smarts.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    NO, first of all hate is not the right word, dislike is the correct one and secondly; the Hansbrough worshipping here of some has reached levels that makes you dislike the fellow to begin with.

If it was up to the Tyler-Fans he would be starting over West or some even suggested he play over Roy; now tell me, what does that look like to you?

And don't you dare compare him to DD, because DD played with finesse and smarts whilst being tough. So far Hans has acted tough, but no finess and no smarts.
    Mcbob fans like you do the same thing.

And I would like to see a post were somebody said that Tyler should play in front of Hibbert, I'm sorry but I call on that one.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Welcome back and yes I saw Dustpan sitting and chearing on the Utah bench last night. I'm proud of him for making an honest effort and finding a new home.
    That mountain air is much better on your sinuses.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

Incorrect on all that, and I'm a big fan of Hansbrough. Emotional post.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Theres definitely a buzz starting to pick up in Indianapolis. The clients whose computers I fix are starting to talk Pacers ball (and thats before I mention my nighttime alter-ego ). I even had one client who's eyes lit up when I mentioned I was in Area55 just before the season started. Turns out he had just sat right in front of a bunch of us at FanJam the weekend prior to the service call and right across the aisle from Area55 during the playoffs last season. We spent most of the time I was working on his PC just talking about the Pacers and how we thought the season was going to for them.... And this was the OWNER of the company!

The IT staff at the hospital that I was working a contract for up until the week before the season still occasionally contacts me regarding how the Pacers are playing.

The perfect storm is brewing.....
    Last edited by Sandman21; 01-13-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't understand your hatred for HandsBro, but as long as you care about the name on the front you're cool in my book
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post: