Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Philadelphia Freedom

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Philadelphia Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    on Tyler: I swear I saw blood from his nose too. The eye..does he wear contacts? If so, THAT could be a problem for a bit. He'll probably be able to see out of it by Wednesday, I'd guess he'll have to wear protective goggles, but can play. Unless it's really bad. Just going from my experiences with eye scratches. I feel for Tyler though, eye injuries suck..just really suck. Like...one of the most irritating things I've seen.

Yes, Tyler wears contacts.

I've stated b4 I cringe when Tyler gets hit in the head b/c of his past problem. I really feel Tyler gets under the skin of players, and some try to hurt him on purpose. I've referred to them as headhunters. If I was one of Tyler's teammates, I'd give back twice in kind to those that want to be a headhunter. And if I was Bird and that player got fined, I'd pay the fine out of my pocket.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Do you have DJ's numbers to compare them? either way I'm not a numbers guy, yeah is a tool that you can use but it shouldn't be the tool, I'm sorry but I still remember people telling me that having Dunleavy and Mcbob in the starting unit made us one of the better teams in the NBA, that pretty much did it for me not to trust numbers ever again, that and JOB with his +/- BS and also using opponents shooting percentage as a way to defend the other teams players.

Edit: By the way I'm going to start to pay even more attention to Danny's D because I haven't really see this great D everybody keeps talking about, how many times during the game he is guarding the other team best player? PG is usually the one in charge of doing this, how many teams with a dominant SF have we played? Detroit, Raptors, Cleveland, Nets and Bobcats don't have a player as good as Danny to play againts him, again I'm not hating, all I'm saying is that the sample that we have at this moment is not big enough, now if he keeps doing it until the end of the year we might end up with Danny in the NBA defensive team.
    Yeah PG is usually guarding the best wing player. He has more physical tools to be better defensively and has a smaller offensive role. But danny has been no slouch on defense this year. He has been great. Paul Pierce was hot before the game against the pacers. He was shooting about 46% and 48% from 3. What did danny do? Completely shut him down. While PG was getting burned by Ray Allen. Pierce shot an abysmal 18% against Danny.

You havent been noticing Dannys defense because you dont want to.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

I forget the exact details, but I'm positive it was measuring 27 iso plays where Danny was the defender. I know they resulted in 10, count em, TEN turnovers with a FG% at 23%. (I'm pretty sure it was 23%, but if not, it was in that territory)

I'll go back through his tweets and see if I can locate the exact tweet.

Danny's defense has been fan-freaking-tastic this season.

This is interesting stuff. Could Danny find himself in the discussion for All Defensive team this year? If he keeps it up?

It would be really great to see him realize the defensive potential he has shown glimpses of in the past. Especially with his inconsistency on that end of the floor in previous seasons.

People seem ready to ship Danny out to make room for George, how about keeping that tandem together? Could be an absolute nightmare for opposing wing players on the defensive end, once Paul gains a little more experience and consistency.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 01-10-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Banned

Well you put Paul Pierce on your list of players Danny guarded, and using that as evidence he hasn't played anyone good.

If you're going to put PP in that category, why wouldn't I expect you to put the rest of them on there? And Danny played 7 games straight against Deng, and played him very well defensively.

Danny has put together, including the preseason games, about 15 straight games of increased defensive effort, and you're still on his back.

If you're gonna throw barbs, atleast throw them at him for his shooting percentage, and not in areas that Danny has been well above average in.
    I don't think you are reading my whole posts, I already said that Danny played good D againts Pierce, go back and read my post

I already acknowledge that Danny is playing better D all I'm saying is that the sample is not big enough to conclude that he is such a great defender, I still believe that DJ is a better defender than Danny, that's how this whole conversation started, again I'm not hating on the guy, there is not reason to get all upset about somebody's opinion, I already told you that all his opponents but Lebron and Pierce have been really weak so far, I am making that up? no, talk to me again when we have a bigger sample to judge Danny and the other players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are more that you think, Lebron, Melo, Iguadola, Jsmith,Durant,Deng, Gay, Caron Butler, Pierce, Gerald Wallace and many more.
    You may have a point; maybe not. All we can ask Danny to do is to guard who is provided by his opponent to be on the court in front of him. Nothing more, nothing less.

And, for those that have been in front of him so far, Danny has done quite well. I think that is all that is being said. And I don't think that point can be denied.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Yes, Tyler wears contacts.

I've stated b4 I cringe when Tyler gets hit in the head b/c of his past problem. I really feel Tyler gets under the skin of players, and some try to hurt him on purpose. I've referred to them as headhunters. If I was one of Tyler's teammates, I'd give back twice in kind to those that want to be a headhunter. And if I was Bird and that player got fined, I'd pay the fine out of my pocket.
    Tyler should think about wearing something like this

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I already told you that all his opponents but Lebron and Pierce have been really weak so far, I am making that up? no, talk to me again when we have a bigger sample to judge Danny and the other players.
    Wouldn't that require you to do the same? If your position is that you need a bigger sample size, which I can fully agree with, then why are you the one trying to argue that DJones played better defense than Danny?
    Last edited by Since86; 01-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.

I don't think you are reading my whole posts, I already said that Danny played good D againts Pierce, go back and read my post

I already acknowledge that Danny is playing better D all I'm saying is that the sample is not big enough to conclude that he is such a great defender, I still believe that DJ is a better defender than Danny, that's how this whole conversation started, again I'm not hating on the guy, there is not reason to get all upset about somebody's opinion, I already told you that all his opponents but Lebron and Pierce have been really weak so far, I am making that up? no, talk to me again when we have a bigger sample to judge Danny and the other players.
    That's just absurd.

DJ plays hard but he's not even close to Danny. That's just crazy.

Good Lord, some of you say Danny doesn't play good D. He plays good D and now you say he hasn't done it against anybody good. This team is 6-3 and most of the threads on here are full of *****ing and almost of every thread that is full of *****ing, complaining, whining and moaning has one common poster in every thread, and it's making this board damn near unreadable. This is a post game thread about a Philly game that Danny didn't even play in and we're having to hear about someone complain about Danny's D? Are you ****ing kidding me?

This is ruining the board. I can't even enjoy the fact that the team is off to a good start because I know I will come here and find a certain someone complaining about something in every single thread. My first thought when I come to PD even after our wins at Boston or against Charlotte isn't "Man, I wonder what positive things people have to say about the team?" But rather, "I wonder what poster X is going to be saying negatively tonight."

It's just disheartening.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Wouldn't that require you to do the same? If you're position is that you need a bigger sample size, which I can fully agree with, then why are you the one trying to argue that DJones played better defense than Danny?
    Maybe because Djones has been a defensive machine all his life while Danny has not been able to play D in a consistent basis other than this year so far? I trust the guys I know that play D in DJ and Paul before I trust Danny, maybe this year Danny would change that but like I said before the sample is too small for me to do that

Dahntay Jones is a defensive machine? Did you watch the Bulls series last year?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Good Lord, some of you say Danny doesn't play good D. He plays good D and now you say he hasn't done it against anybody good. This team is 6-3 and most of the threads on here are full of *****ing and almost of every thread that is full of *****ing, complaining, whining and moaning has one common poster in every thread, and it's making this board damn near unreadable. This is a post game thread about a Philly game that Danny didn't even play in and we're having to hear about someone complain about Danny's D? Are you ****ing kidding me?

This is ruining the board. I can't even enjoy the fact that the team is off to a good start because I know I will come here and find a certain someone complaining about something in every single thread. My first thought when I come to PD even after our wins at Boston or against Charlotte isn't "Man, I wonder what positive things people have to say about the team?" But rather, "I wonder what poster X is going to be saying negatively tonight."

It's just disheartening.

Maybe because Djones has been a defensive machine all his life while Danny has not been able to play D in a consistent basis other than this year so far? I trust the guys I know that play D in DJ and Paul before I trust Danny, maybe this year Danny would change that but like I said before the sample is too small for me to do that
    Then stop *****ing about Danny's defense. If the sample size is too small, then it's too small for both sides of the argument, not just ours.

Banned

Dahntay Jones is a defensive machine? Did you watch the Bulls series last year?
    Yes I got to watch all DJ's 50 minutes of playing time in the playoffs ........

You're right, you're a troll. You aren't a realist. Mackey is a realist. Brushwithdeath is a realist. Bball is a realist. I'm done subjecting myself to your absurd, otherworldly drivel that you populate the board with under the guise of being a "realist".

Congratulations on being the first and only member of my ignore list, I've been on this board for 6 years and I've never put someone on the ignore list because I honestly couldn't stand their posts anymore. I've had tiffs with numerous members over subjects, but I always kept them off the ignore lists because I thought they were honestly trying to debate and come up with good points even if I didn't agree with them (90'sNBArocked and our disagreement regarding Josh's decision to work on his jumper comes to mind). You are only here to incite. Every thread, it's the same damn act, and I'm tired of it. I'm going to enjoy this blissful peace and quiet, and maybe I'll actually be able to read some of the positive posts on the board now.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-10-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

It's just disheartening.
    Nah. It's the nature of the board.

"If it bleeds, it leads" has always been with us.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Vogel came in midseason and then the lockout happened. It was even stated he focused on defense. I'm not worried. The fact that we are winning or at least competitive (other than the Heat game) says alot about the overall talent level. Once a system is in and everyone knows their roles the offense should (hopefully) be ALOT better.

Everyone should be happy that we obviously have talent and are getting better. I mean you guys were watching the past few years... right? As a fan since I was 5 or 6 (20+ years) I know that the JOB era was slowly sucking out even my hope and joy for the Pacers.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Nah. It's the nature of the board.

"If it bleeds, it leads" has always been with us.
    "If it bleeds, it leads.

If it doesn't bleed, take it around behind the Locker Room sub-forum and kick it until it starts, then lead with it."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Then stop *****ing about Danny's defense. If the sample size is too small, then it's too small for both sides of the argument, not just ours.
    I don't think you read the post that you respond to, yes the sample is small reason why my opinion was that missing Danny yesterday didn't make much difference in the end result, DJ did a pretty good job at replacing him, shooting over .500 and playing better D, that was my whole point, saying that DJ plays better D than Danny is not saying that Danny sucks at defense, is not like I'm comparing him to Mike Dunleavy or Troy Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The past two games is by far the best Roy has ever played. He's not just scoring when he is able, he is scoring when the Pacers really need a score and when the defense is locked in on him. - that is a major difference from before.

I expected the Pacers to lose at Philly, the Sixers are one of the best teams in the NBA right now. They have the greatest point differential in the NBA. They won't be the best team in a few weeks when other teams get into a groove, but the Sixers made very few changes since last season and several of their players have improved so I expected them to get off to a good start.
    Certainly when Danny and George were out I had no hope of winning, but mostly thanks to Roy we kept it a very tight game, he absolutely demolished their front line and I again noticed how he changes the play of the opponents when he's on the defensive end, they don't seem in a hurry to try and score inside, but the second he is out they are there.

I am very pleasanlty surprised by this, and West i like his smart play, I don't like his over all state of health, it is about what i expected, and I am grateful he makes up for it by being a good team mate.

Philly played well, they have some amzaing talent but we still forced an awful large number of turnovers on them

There will always be one or two teams in the league that may give our frontline fits, but in general i think our starters are top tier.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Banned

You're right, you're a troll. You aren't a realist. Mackey is a realist. Brushwithdeath is a realist. Bball is a realist. I'm done subjecting myself to your absurd, otherworldly drivel that you populate the board with under the guise of being a "realist".

Congratulations on being the first and only member of my ignore list, I've been on this board for 6 years and I've never put someone on the ignore list because I honestly couldn't stand their posts anymore. I've had tiffs with numerous members over subjects, but I always kept them off the ignore lists because I thought they were honestly trying to debate and come up with good points even if I didn't agree with them (90'sNBArocked and our disagreement regarding Josh's decision to work on his jumper comes to mind). You are only here to incite. Every thread, it's the same damn act, and I'm tired of it. I'm going to enjoy this blissful peace and quiet, and maybe I'll actually be able to read some of the positive posts on the board now.

I don't think you read the post that you respond to, yes the sample is small reason why my opinion was that missing Danny yesterday didn't make much difference in the end result, DJ did a pretty good job at replacing him, shooting over .500 and playing better D, that was my whole point, saying that DJ plays better D than Danny is not saying that Danny sucks at defense, is not like I'm comparing him to Mike Dunleavy or Troy Murphy.
    Whenever i read your posts, which is becoming less, i must admit, I find you have seen a totally different team then i did, you see Dahntay play better defense then Danny, never seen Danny play defense(it was his major act in the first two years) You see Tyler as an All Star and even an All defense player!
    I look at the team and i see 10 players who defend better then Tyler, i see 3 or 4 players who would have more chance of being an All Star, if any, I see a formidable defender in Danny Granger (and no PG is not better, no where near even tbh). and all i can think is "wow" I want what he is smoking, only to remember i quite smoking all together 3 years ago.

DJ never has and never will be a better defender then Danny Granger, but he dont have to be.
    It is why we pay DG the big bucks and DJ the chump change.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Danny didn't play yesterday
    If i were you i'd read that again smarty pants,

"Certainly when Danny (GRANGER) and George (HILL) were out I had no hope of winning"

was a very clear statement, they were out before the game!

P.S. It is clear you read with the same glasses you watch the TV with

31. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Whenever i read your posts, which is becoming less, i must admit, I find you have seen a totally different team then i did, you see Dahntay play better defense then Danny, never seen Danny play defense(it was his major act in the first two years) You see Tyler as an All Star and even an All defense player! I look at the team and i see 10 players who defend better then Tyler, i see 3 or 4 players who would have more chance of being an All Star, if any, I see a formidable defender in Danny Granger (and no PG is not better, no where near even tbh). and all i can think is "wow" I want what he is smoking, only to remember i quite smoking all together 3 years ago.

DJ never has and never will be a better defender then Danny Granger, but he dont have to be.
    It is why we pay DG the big bucks and DJ the chump change.
    I can see that you haven't read any of my recent posts were I was talking about Tyler's horrible D and yes maybe the new Danny is a better defender than DJ but the previous one was not even close.

edit: I forgot to comment on the PG's is not better than Danny on defense? wow.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-10-2012 at 03:16 PM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Found it.

@TimDonahue

I remembered 27, because that's the points scored (54 possessions, 1/2 a point per possession)
    Time to trade him. I remember when everyone wanted him to play better D and emphasize less on offense. I know he is not efficient right now, but come on he is leading with his play.