Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

  1. #1
    Member Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    193

    Default We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    • December 12, 2007 -- Injures back
    • July 12, 2008 -- Injures hamstring
    • January 22, 2011 -- Injures right wrist
    • March 6, 2011 -- Re-aggravates wrist injury
    • December 26, 2011 -- Injures right knee
    • January 6, 2012 -- Re-aggravates knee injury


    My cousin went to school with EJ at North Central and my younger brother attended IU during the Gordon years, so I'd love to see the kid succeed. But does anyone else have concerns about his durability?
    Last edited by Reginald; 01-09-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

    "Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Michael Jordan missed 64 games in his second season in the league

  4. #3
    Member Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Michael Jordan missed 64 games in his second season in the league
    He also recovered from his broken foot to set the still-unbroken record for points (63) in a playoff game. That plus I'd take one broken foot in a 20-year college and pro career over three independent injuries on three different body parts in four years. The former can be dismissed as an anomaly; the latter, not so much.
    Last edited by Reginald; 01-09-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

    "Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,280

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    This is going to be the third straight year of him missing a significant chunk of the season. At the very least, it's a bit concerning. Hopefully he can start stringing together some healthy seasons.

  7. #5

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    The wrist thing bothered him back at IU, no? Although he played through it. Thought he was tremendously tough for doing so and not using it as an excuse when it effectively wiped out his three point shot.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,279

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Good... maybe the asking price for EJ will go down.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,491

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    • December 12, 2007 -- Injures back
    • July 12, 2008 -- Injures hamstring
    • January 22, 2011 -- Injures right wrist
    • March 6, 2011 -- Re-aggravates wrist injury
    • December 26, 2011 -- Injures right knee
    • January 6, 2012 -- Re-aggravates knee injury


    My cousin went to school with EJ at North Central and my younger brother attended IU during the Gordon year, so I'd love to see the kid succeed. But does anyone else have concerns about his durability?
    Fixed the "years" to "year".

    Plus he was injured at IU as well.

    Seems he gets injured about once per paycheck these days.

    I have to wonder if he just has a very low pain threshold, or if he is milking these things. I wondered about this when he was at IU, too. People who know him tell me I'm wrong as can be about this, and I might well be. I guess I'm the suspicious type.

  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,780
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed the "years" to "year".

    Plus he was injured at IU as well.

    Seems he gets injured about once per paycheck these days.

    I have to wonder if he just has a very low pain threshold, or if he is milking these things. I wondered about this when he was at IU, too. People who know him tell me I'm wrong as can be about this, and I might well be. I guess I'm the suspicious type.
    low pain threshold?? You cant be serious. He played with a broken hand at IU which caused his shot to be off. But he didnt let it get to him. He played last year through his wrist injury (he came back way to soon about 4 weeks to soon)which again hurt his shot and his game he wasn't himself. until the Clippers shut him down for the rest that he needed.

    He had bone chips and a sprained wrist and he only sat out 3 weeks. He should of sat out at least 6 if not longer. He was 70% when he came back and then he re injured it. He gets hurt normally by attacking the rim which is both good and bad. He is just an aggressive guy. Same reason Gerald Wallace misses a lot of games similar styles in terms of aggressiveness.

    Kid is a gamer if he can go he will play. But Eric doesnt half *** anything if he is playing he is playing 110%.

    Injuries happen in basketball I wouldn't call him injury prone just yet. But with the way EJ plays he will likely have a few injuries every few years. When you play hard ever night and attack the rack like you are invincible you will get dinged up.

    Do people consider Gerald Wallace injury prone?? I dont he misses games almost every year due to nagging injures and had a 3 yr stretch where he missed a ton. But you cant tell people like Gearld and EJ to play at less than 110% they aren't wired to.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.

  13. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    It's a shame he's so physically brittle. I'd like to see if his 56-games last year were legitimate, or if he goes right back to being a one-dimensional poor man's Marcus Thornton like he was in his first two seasons.

  14. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,780
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a shame he's so physically brittle. I'd like to see if his 56-games last year were legitimate, or if he goes right back to being a one-dimensional poor man's Marcus Thornton like he was in his first two seasons.
    He was not that his first 2 seasons not even close. EJ averaged what Marcus is this year on 5 less shots per game. EJ is an efficient scorer who defends his position at a very high level. Marcus is a volume scorer who needs the ball annd is very inefficient compared to Eric.

    Only reason EJ averaged 17ppg his first 2 seasons is because he only took 11 shots per game which is very efficient.


    Marcus is one of the worst perimeter defenders in basketball guys like he and Nick Yong can hurt you as much as they help. EJ is consistent and will always help your team win.

    defensively
    EJ in his games this year gave up 7 points per 48 on 22% eFG

    while Marcus gives up 20. on 50% eFG

    Eric has always been a much better defender than Marcus and it really isnt even close.

    You obviously dont watch EJ and don't value efficiency anyone can be a volume scorer on the Kings or Wizard come back to me when Marcus shoots 45% in a meaningful starters minutes. Or even when he can get to the line 6 time per game like EJ did last year.

    Comparing EJ to Marcus makes you look really silly. EJ is gonna be a star while Marcus is a good scorer he is a volume shooter who is either hit or miss.

    Marcus got traded for Carl Landry and EJ was traded for CP3
    and calling him physically brittle?? The guy is much bigger than Marcus.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.

  15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    I don't get the Thornton comparison either. Two completely different players, and EJ is clearly better.

  17. #12
    Member Merz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,087
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed the "years" to "year".

    Plus he was injured at IU as well.

    Seems he gets injured about once per paycheck these days.

    I have to wonder if he just has a very low pain threshold, or if he is milking these things. I wondered about this when he was at IU, too. People who know him tell me I'm wrong as can be about this, and I might well be. I guess I'm the suspicious type.
    I don't think he has a low threshold...i just think he's snakebitten

  18. #13
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,701

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marcus got traded for Carl Landry and EJ was traded for CP3
    and calling him physically brittle?? The guy is much bigger than Marcus.
    As I agree with everything else in your statement, I don't agree with these arguments.

    I think you putting it in context as if it was a trade of EJ for CP3 when clearly it wasn't, isn't a fair point in your argument.

    The Clippers will send guard Eric Gordon, center Chris Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round pick to the Hornets for Paul.

    Also, EJ being physically brittle has nothing to do with Marcus being an inch taller and 10 pounds lighter then Eric, really makes no sense. EJ is proving by himself what his body can or can't handle. And, I'd say they are legit injuries and hopefully luck will change for him in the future. Especially when he becomes a Pacers (I hope).

  19. #14
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and calling him physically brittle?? The guy is much bigger than Marcus.
    Size has nothing to do with how brittle you are. You could be a mountain of a man (Greg Oden) and still be made out of glass. You could be a little twig (Kevin Durant) and barely miss a game.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    • December 12, 2007 -- Injures back
    • July 12, 2008 -- Injures hamstring
    • January 22, 2011 -- Injures right wrist
    • March 6, 2011 -- Re-aggravates wrist injury
    • December 26, 2011 -- Injures right knee
    • January 6, 2012 -- Re-aggravates knee injury


    My cousin went to school with EJ at North Central and my younger brother attended IU during the Gordon years, so I'd love to see the kid succeed. But does anyone else have concerns about his durability?
    Gordan year, singular. It is ,however, a much better way to remember it than the Sampson year.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

  22. #16
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Size has nothing to do with how brittle you are. You could be a mountain of a man (Greg Oden) and still be made out of glass. You could be a little twig (Kevin Durant) and barely miss a game.
    Bad comparison Odens legs aren't the same length and he walked like an old man before he was even drafted. Little guys get beaten up easier when it comes to taking contact.

  23. #17
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bad comparison Odens legs aren't the same length and he walked like an old man before he was even drafted. Little guys get beaten up easier when it comes to taking contact.
    Jesus ****ing Christ man, you get the idea.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,881
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Does anybody who knows Eric know how well or poor he takes care of his body? Is he just a guy that tries to play through stuff that he shouldn't and further injures himself? He seems to reinjure himself quite a bit.

    Is he a guy that drinks and smokes a lot behind the scenes that hurts his ability to heal?
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  26. #19
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus ****ing Christ man, you get the idea.
    You don't think Barerra being thrown to the ground by Bynum was extra bad because Barrera is little? In contact sports little guys get hurt easier.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

  27. #20
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't think Barerra being thrown to the ground by Bynum was extra bad because Barrera is little? In contact sports little guys get hurt easier.
    I'm not saying that it doesn't hurt more if you're a little guy and you get hit by a guy like Bynum. I mean, hell, that's physics. It IS going to hurt. But I also remember that after that hit, Barea played the next game.


    We're not talking about pain. We're talking about how a player can be brittle at any size.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  29. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,780
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    why are we talking about this?? Just wondering. I love EJ by far my favorite player but I can only take so much EJ talk.

  30. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was not that his first 2 seasons not even close. EJ averaged what Marcus is this year on 5 less shots per game. EJ is an efficient scorer who defends his position at a very high level. Marcus is a volume scorer who needs the ball annd is very inefficient compared to Eric.
    Actually, he didn't. He averaged 2.3 less points (16.4 vs. 18.7) on 3.8 less shots-per-game (12 vs. 15.8). More efficient, yes, but it's nowhere near the gap you're trying to make it out to be.


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only reason EJ averaged 17ppg his first 2 seasons is because he only took 11 shots per game which is very efficient.
    16.4 ppg on 12 shots per-game, to be exact, and no one ever said Eric Gordon couldn't score. That's the dimension in that whole "one-dimensional" thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marcus is one of the worst perimeter defenders in basketball guys like he and Nick Yong can hurt you as much as they help. EJ is consistent and will always help your team win.
    Apparently his teams didn't get the memo seeing as how he's proven himself to be a constant loser. 19, 29, 32. That's not tonight's winning lotto numbers. That's the number of games Eric Gordon's teams have won in his three full seasons.

    If Gordon wants to help his teams win, he can start by staying healthy. Good luck with that.


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    defensively
    EJ in his games this year gave up 7 points per 48 on 22% eFG

    while Marcus gives up 20. on 50% eFG
    A sample size of two is meaningless, and can you please cite your source for Thornton's defensive numbers?


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eric has always been a much better defender than Marcus and it really isnt even close.
    According to Basketball Reference, Eric Gordon has a defensive rating of 113, whereas Marcus Thornton's is 110. For those that don't know, defensive rating is the number of points given up per-100 possessions, and the lower the number, the better.

    Not only does Thornton have a superior defensive rating, he has a better PER, too, due to having a more complete game (he actually rebounds, something E.J.'s never done): 17 vs 15.8.


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You obviously dont watch EJ and don't value efficiency anyone can be a volume scorer on the Kings or Wizard come back to me when Marcus shoots 45% in a meaningful starters minutes. Or even when he can get to the line 6 time per game like EJ did last year.
    Anyone can be a one-dimensional volume scorer on the Clippers or Hornets, as Eric Gordon has proven.

    Anyway, Thornton shot exactly 45% with the Kings last season. Their career shooting percentages are actually quite similar:



    Gordon's superior offensive efficiency comes almost entirely from getting to the line nearly 50% more than Thornton does. Thornton's not bad at drawing fouls, he gets to the line plenty, it's just that Gordon's very good at it.


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comparing EJ to Marcus makes you look really silly. EJ is gonna be a star while Marcus is a good scorer he is a volume shooter who is either hit or miss.
    If by star you mean an injury-prone Ben Gordon clone, then I agree, E.J.'s well on his way.

    If by star you mean a guy who can stay healthy and lead his team to lots of wins... well then, I'd simply point at his track record as an injury prone perennial loser. That speaks for itself.


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marcus got traded for Carl Landry and EJ was traded for CP3
    ...along with one of the league's best centers, Chris Kaman, and the unprotected first-round draft pick of one of the worst-ran franchises in NBA history, which was almost certainly the piece New Orleans valued most.

    Besides, whom someone gets traded for has no bearing on how good that player ends up, and Landry's a solid big man,


    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and calling him physically brittle?? The guy is much bigger than Marcus.
    Did they redefine brittle and someone forgot to tell me? Yao Ming is 7'6", 300 lb. I guess he must be one of the sturdiest, most non-brittle players in NBA history.

    Brittle - Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    1. easily broken, cracked, or snapped


    That sure sounds an awful lot like Eric Gordon to me.

    Games Played, Eric Gordon:
    2008: 78/82 (95%)
    2009: 62/82 (76%)
    2010: 56/82 (68%)
    2011: 2/8 (25%)
    Career: 198/254 (78%)

    Games Played, Marcus Thornton:
    2009: 73/82 (89%)
    2010: 73/82 (89%)
    2011: 9/9 (100%)
    Career: 155/173 (90%)

    I'm not gonna bother looking it up, but I'm willing to bet many of Thornton's 18 missed games over his first two seasons were due to being criminally misused (DNP-CD) in New Orleans, rather than injuries.
    Last edited by Lance George; 01-09-2012 at 04:24 PM.

  31. #23
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,434

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    You know whenever I'm tired of threads devoted to a particular topic, my first course of action is always to start my own thread devoted to how absurd i think it is....

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  33. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,741

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    His injuries is the only reason why I would not want him here. If he was able to consistently play at least 62 games a year, and the playoffs the injuries wouldn't concern me.

  34. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,780
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Eric Gordon lovefest to bring you this important announcement

    The reason Monty Williams had Marcus traded is because he didn't play a lick of defense. If you dont play defense for Monty you aren't playing.

    EJ tries harder on defense than he does offense he is a 2 way player unlike Marcus

    But im done arguing EJ with you

    you calling him "a poor mans's Marcus" or "Ben Gordon" kind of speaks for your creditability on the subject.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
  2. Tbird draft analysis: Eric Gordon
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •