Thread: Why were kickoffs changed this season?

Default Why were kickoffs changed this season?

I've been wondering this all season... What was the rationale for changing kickoffs this season which has had the net affect of making kickoff returns a non event?

Even the Colts former liquored up kicker could've kicked it in the end zone this season.

I suppose if you're kicking into the wind maybe you might leave it short of the endzone, but even then having much of a runback was questionable.

Was the thinking that kickers would try and kick it just inside the 1 and finesse it... or was it really so every kick off would lead to a touchback and start at the 20?

Of the few times I saw someone try and return the kick it seemed like it was a bad decision... either only getting to the 20 or not even making that.

Did anyone score on a kickoff return this season?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Why were kickoffs changed this season?

To reduce the violent collisions and injuries that occur from two teams running full blast at one another basically. The league wanted more touchbacks and that is what they are getting.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like Presto said it was all done in the name of safety.

Overall it has really sucked this year just seeing balls go out of the back of the endzone. It has put a damper on one of the most exciting plays in the game.

Of course we have still seen returns for TDs, but half the time there is no chance to even catch the ball.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

It's really turned into a situation where you might as well do away with the kickoff and just give the other team the ball on the 20yd line. The only thing keeping the kickoff around does is create some element of surprise for an onsides kick.

It's hard to argue against safety, but it's really made the majority of kickoffs absolutely pointless and a drag on the flow of the game. If everything is a touchback... what's the point....

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

In Denver yesterday the only suspense was seeing if any of the kickoffs would actually go through the uprights after sailing past the endzone.

I really dislike the rule change, but yes there was a statistical analysis saying that the single play most likely to result in head injury was the kickoff return. Two years ago they changed the rule a little and made blocking wedges illegal (more than two players within arms length) but apparently that didn't do enough.

I reach for the clicker to catch 5 minutes of something else after a score, since you have a non-play sandwiched by two commercials.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's really turned into a situation where you might as well do away with the kickoff and just give the other team the ball on the 20yd line. The only thing keeping the kickoff around does is create some element of surprise for an onsides kick.

It's hard to argue against safety, but it's really made the majority of kickoffs absolutely pointless and a drag on the flow of the game. If everything is a touchback... what's the point....
    FWIW the touchbacks went up 30% with the new rule.

Slickpinkham,
    Thats how Denver is even with the old rule. Its a very boring staduim at that altitude for kickoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    FWIW the touchbacks went up 30% with the new rule.
    For the returns I did see this season I can't remember any where the net gain was worth it. I don't remember any that got past the 20 yard line by more than a yard or two at best... and I can remember more than a few (maybe the majority I saw) getting stuffed short of the 20. I never saw a K/O returned for a TD this season that I can remember.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    For the returns I did see this season I can't remember any where the net gain was worth it. I don't remember any that got past the 20 yard line by more than a yard or two at best... and I can remember more than a few (maybe the majority I saw) getting stuffed short of the 20. I never saw a K/O returned for a TD this season that I can remember.
    LOL... There were 3 the first weekend. Ginn, Cobb, and Percy Harvin.

Its a long season so I understand..

On a side note maybe you were just watching too many Colts games and here is a fun fact. Only one team averaged below 20 yds on a kickoff return. Want to guess who that team was?
    Last edited by Gamble1; 01-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.

On a side note maybe you were just watching too many Colts games and here is a fun fact. Only one team averaged below 20 yds on a kickoff return. Want to guess who that team was?
    Guilty as charged....

------

-John Wooden

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where is the evidence that moving the kickoff will aid player safety? Other than the fact From above that touchbacks were up significantly?

The other part of the rule is that the kickoff coverage team can't get nearly the running start they used to. The coverage team has to have a foot on the 30 to start with so they don't have as much momentum when they reach the blocking unit as they used to. This is also why even though touchbacks are way up, kickoff return average is also way up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This kind of stuff is a large part of why I have been discouraged from watching the NFL in the last two years or so.