Thread: Something Special Going On, But Biggest Test Ahead

Default Something Special Going On, But Biggest Test Ahead

I've mentioned it before. I think we really do have something special going on with this team. They are deep, and Frank has most players doing almost exactly what is expected, despite the shortened off-season. Teammates seem to genuinely like each other, and have self-confidence, but not over-the-top bravado. The team plays with discipline, but if I have one criticism that still persists after the Bobcats game, it's that there are some players that will still pick up silly technical fouls. Don't argue with the refs! Simple as that!

I see a big test this week with Philly, Altanta and Boston. Philly also only has 2 losses, and like us, most of their wins came against bad teams. A win on the road against Philly will be huge to help establish the early pecking order.

I think I'm looking forward to facing Atlanta more than I am the rematch vs. Boston. Atlanta is 1-1 against the Bulls and the Heat, having lost both games on the road and they were not blowouts. I think how we play this week will be a good barometer for us.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Something Special Going On, But Biggest Test Ahead

i too am curious to see how the pacers match up vs ATL. mainly to see if the pacers have anyone who can guard josh smith. ATL uses individual iso's and pacers cannot seem to guard josh smith. be nice to see if the pacers have upgraded the 4 enough to deal with josh.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i too am curious to see how the pacers match up vs ATL. mainly to see if the pacers have anyone who can guard josh smith. ATL uses individual iso's and pacers cannot seem to guard josh smith. be nice to see if the pacers have upgraded the 4 enough to deal with josh.
    No, we cannot seem to guard Al Horford. Then again most teams in the league have a lot of difficulty with that.
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

Looking at Philly and Atlanta in a little more detail, I'd gladly trade a home victory against Boston next Sat. for ones against Atlanta here and also Philly on the road. The Boston game here is the end of a back-to-back at the end of a long 8 day stretch of tough games. So I could understand if we come out a little flat against the Celtics. Good to be up on them by 1 game, and need to get up on the others by one game as well.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacersgroningen View Post
    No, we cannot seem to guard Al Horford.
    We have never had DWest before.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I was looking ahead to Philly last night a little closer and they're actually leading the atlantic currently, we can't overlook them. I think that game is going to be a very tough grind it out sort of game and I really hope we can get some shots to start falling. As it stands they're 2nd in the NBA in points allowed and we're 3rd. The winner of this game very well might only score in the 70's if both teams really show up defensively. I think this game will be very telling of where we're both at and I hope we don't disappoint. The games following this game don't get much easier for us with games against Atlanta and Boston. I think 2 out of 3 wins during this stretch would be very impressive.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I would put Paul George on Josh Smith on his iso possessions.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

There are more tough teams than Miami in Chicago in the east. We will have to work very hard to beat Philly and Atlanta. If we are as good as either of them this year, we have come a long way. Not long ago, Atlanta could completely dominate us.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I've also been looking at our upcoming schedule. It gets tough for awhile all the way to a 3 game road trip to Cali. If we want to establish ourselves as one of the teams to beat in the eastern conference then we have to play good this week. Tomorrow could establish who is in 3rd place record wise in the eastern conference, at least for now.

Philly is alot like us. They don't have one guy who is their leading scorer every night, they have an upcoming center who is averaging a double-double, and their once leading scorer (AI) is not having to put up the big numbers anymore.
    Last edited by pacers74; 01-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I was looking ahead to Philly last night a little closer and they're actually leading the atlantic currently, we can't overlook them. I think that game is going to be a very tough grind it out sort of game and I really hope we can get some shots to start falling. As it stands they're 2nd in the NBA in points allowed and we're 3rd. The winner of this game very well might only score in the 70's if both teams really show up defensively. I think this game will be very telling of where we're both at and I hope we don't disappoint. The games following this game don't get much easier for us with games against Atlanta and Boston. I think 2 out of 3 wins during this stretch would be very impressive.

I'll be interested in the Hibbert/Hawes match up. 2 young C's who are having good seasons going toe to toe. Hopefully, Hibbert will win the match up.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Tomorrow could establish who is in 3rd place record wise in the eastern conference, at least for now.

Philly is alot like us. They don't have one guy who is their leading scorer every night, they have an upcoming center who is averaging a double-double....
    I agree about the battle for 3rd or 4th, maybe even 5th. I don't think that Boston will have the ability to keep up with the grind during the shortened season and would not be surprised if 2 teams leapfrog them. I don't think Orland will keep Dwight and they will lack firepower. It looks like the fight will be between Atlanta, NY, Philly and us for the remaining top two seeds. And yes, I also see some similarities with Philly, but I think on a man-to-man basis, we are better than they are.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    We have never had DWest before.
    And that would leave us with Roy covering Smith, Johnson, Marvin Williams or Teague?
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pacersgroningen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post

And yes, I also see some similarities with Philly, but I think on a man-to-man basis, we are better than they are.
    That brings up another interesting match up. Iggy's "D" vs Granger's "D".

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take our Roster over Phillies.

Danny=/> Igoudala: Danny plays similar defense when he focuses on that, but has far more offensive skill and as a shooter. Iggy is the better distributor, but if you aren't a PG offense is more important from the SG/SF position than passing is.

Paul George > Turner: far more athletic and is a better defender and shooter, turner is the better rebounder and passer though, as well as a ball handler.

Hibbert> Hawes: Hawes is on a ridiculously hot streak right now, but I don't think he stays there. Roy has proven himself superior over their careers and is more valuable.

Collison< Holiday: With collisons improvement it's not a gigantic gap right now thuogh. Holiday is bigger, and plays more effective defense. Collison is the better scorer when he looks for his shot. Neither are super talented passing the ball, but holiday is a bit better there. Holiday also has a higher ceiling than DC and is years younger.

D West> Brand: At this point in their careers. West is the better rebounder and scorer, though it's more even since West is still getting back in the swing of things. Neither are super good defenders. West's passing is also better than advertised and he's better than brand there.

Hansbrough> Speights

Hill <= lou williams: Williams is more explosive as a scorer for sure, but Hill is a great defender. I'd take williams personally though.

Philly is good, both teams have up and comers that could become stars in the future between Turner, George, Hibbert and Holiday, but man to man we have more talent, and have looked like a pretty cohesive unit so far.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Hansbrough> Speights
    No doubt. I bet Speights doesn't even score a point when we play Philly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I'll go one further: Speights flees the state of Pennsylvania rather than play against Tyler.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

We will not beat Philly on the road. I really hope I am wrong but they will give us fits and are deep enough to keep us honest at all 5 positions.

I really think they could be the 5 or 6 seed in the East with what I've seen early on. They are a quality squad.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Lou Williams over George Hill? Uh....no.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Lou Williams over George Hill? Uh....no.
    Looking around 76ers boards last year, they would give him away. He's their Dahntay Jones. They want him gone.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    No doubt. I bet Speights doesn't even score a point when we play Philly.
    You're a bad man

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

The remainder of the January schedule is brutal.

12 more games. 8 on the road, including 3 games in 5 nights out West. Home and home against Boston. Home and home against Orlando. 1 each against Philly, Atlanta, Chicago and LA, all on the road except for Atlanta. The remaining games are at Toronto, Sacramento, and Golden State, before ending the month with the only truly easy one, a home game against the Nets.

I'd be happy with winning 5 or 6 of these games. That will keep us above .500 going into February.

I just hope there aren't any fans who start taking wins for granted. With the crazy schedule this season and a team that to this point has been one of the healthiest in the NBA, I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

I could see the pacers lose all 4 games this week, or win all four. I'd be OK with 2-2, 3-1 would be great.

Pacers schedule to date has been one of the easiest in terms of opponents and number of games. They have only played two back to back games so far.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Perhaps a big challenge will be the response to adversity when they lose a couple or three games in a row. It will happen, just a matter of when. Hopefully no finger-pointing among the players. Doesn't seem like there would be...