Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Stuffing the Bobcats

Default Odd Thoughts: Stuffing the Bobcats

Tonight we are just going to hit the highlights and were doing it bullet point style. First though let me just state that while this was not the best game we have ever played and I won’t say it was the most important because we have a lot more games to go, I will say that this may have been the most impressive win of the season so far.

Why, you may ask? Honesty I thought we played like crap the entire first half and our two best players both had sub par to horrendous nights. Yet we still walked out of there with a 20+ point victory. That tells you where we are as a team really & I don’t think for one min. it was the quality of the competition (well minus Diaw).

Let’s start with some odd random observations from the fieldhouse.

• Paul George had a choreographed intro semi dance that he did with George Hill when he came out. If he has done this before I have never seen it. If nothing else I think this shows some team camaraderie. Or maybe he just knew Haywood Workman was one of the refs and wanted to make him reminisce about the good old days.
    • The choice to use “Seven Nation Army” by the White Stripes as the music to play while the teams go to the circle was brilliant. While about every other arena has “Welcome to the Jungle” or “Crazy Train” playing overhead I thought that this actually set a nice tone for a younger team and it helped that we had a packed house that constantly did the back ground vocals along with the music.
    • Crowd was large tonight, don’t know if a lot of these were comps because I know there were some given out tonight, but again the home team made more fans for themselves by taking advantage of a pro Pacer crowd on a near sell out.
    • Am I the only person who ever wonders if we offer to retire Haywood’s number if he will give us the benefit of the doubt on all home calls?
    • When Tyler Hansbrough grabbed his own rebound off of his missed free throw and then was fouled again Frank Vogel turned towards the bench and had a grin on his face that was as big as a Cheshire cat and all he said very loudly was “Damn”. Which cracked up the rest of the bench.
    • When Henderson knocked Hill off and Frank had to wrap up George to get him away the first person to step in was Tyler and you could tell by the way he was approaching the scene that he was not really wanting the skirmish to end quickly. In other words I think Tyler wasn’t so much stepping between them as he was stepping up to Henderson.
    • How Boris Diaw continues to bamboozle teams not only into giving him a contract but in starting him is just a mystery to me. Obviously tonight was one of his worst performances but man this guy is just really not that good.
    • Also at one point in time tonight I had to laugh as I reminded myself that Tyrus Thomas was actually traded for LeMarcus Aldridge. Pritchard still probably has to laugh about that one as well.
    • Bismack Biyombo is as raw as they come but man he sure does have the basics to work with. If he can develop his game at all he will be a player in the future to watch. Not quite as tall as I thought he would be but the dude can sky.
    • Paul George did not have a good game.
    • George Hill had an outstanding game and his defensive presence on that second unit can not be over stated. Now that he has found his shot, whew that back 5 is going to be a load for most teams on most nights.
    • I think in truth that is what happened tonight, we just kept hitting them with so many different combinations and players that we are so deep that they just could not keep up. Basically we over ran them with depth, strength and size.
    • However I do want to say that Darren Collison & David West did have a little run going there in the beginning of the third that not only brought us back but got us the lead. I know Darren has his weaknesses but he can get his shot off with the best of them when he has to.
    • I was proud of Danny for not forcing up bad shots in abundance but not backing away from taking shots either. He is a shooter and the only way to get out of this is for him to keep on shooting, eventually it will break. But in the mean time he has to balance that out with making sure he plays a good overall game. Tonight was just a sub par night for him but the fact that we won by a large margin and both he and Paul struggled are very encouraging signs.

Being 6-2 eight games in sure is a nice treat, but the schedule this next week looks like a gauntlet of good teams in to many nights. Let’s hope the guys are rested and maybe just maybe Danny and Paul can come out of their funk together on Monday in Philly.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Stuffing the Bobcats

Wish I could have seen that dance between the George's. I think this team is destined for something nice with the chemistry they are developing.

Banned

I doubt #50 will ever forget about this and would love to get some revenge

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

JMac looks tooooo young in that vid. I miss him (not to say we need him; just wish he was still with the P's)

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

That game was weird to be at. It really felt despite being down by 6 or more throughout a good portion of the first half it never really felt like we were out of it if that makes any sense? There were still some groanworthy type plays in the first half that would stifle our momentum but overall I really felt pretty good about the game and that inevitably we were going to figure things out. Once we made the necessary adjustments it was all cruise control from there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    That game was weird to be at. It really felt despite being down by 6 or more throughout a good portion of the first half it never really felt like we were out of it if that makes any sense? There were still some groanworthy type plays in the first half that would stifle our momentum but overall I really felt pretty good about the game and that inevitably we were going to figure things out. Once we made the necessary adjustments it was all cruise control from there.
    And that is certainly different from years past.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

9. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post

Anybody think that was a cheap shot? Hard to tell. But it looked like he tried to get something in at the last second when he got bumped from the other side.

Regardless, the commentator (Billy Packer?) was ridiculously too vocal on insisting it wasn't. You just can't tell.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Anybody think that was a cheap shot? Hard to tell. But it looked like he tried to get something in at the last second when he got bumped from the other side.

Regardless, the commentator (Billy Packer?) was ridiculously too vocal on insisting it wasn't. You just can't tell.
    I did when I watched it live and I still do today. He came in like a hard as hell with his elbow in last 15 seconds on a guy who killed them for 26 and 17. If he was just looking to play hard D he would have sometime extended his arm to attempt a block like he always has.

Mood

I was at the game last night, and from our seats, which were basically on the court, Henderson was raping Hansbrough all night. There were several "missed" calls in the first half that just baffled me. During a post up, Henderson blatantly choked Tyler with his forearm, with one of the refs looking on, and nothing....Hans complained about the forearm, and the ref just nodded....There was way too much "bumping and excessive jockeying for position" between the two.....Still nothing....Tyler also ended up getting raked across the face and neck a few times leaving two HUGE claw marks from behind his ear to his collarbone.

Needless to say, there is definitely a rivalry between these two players, but to me it seemed that Henderson got away with far too many cheap shots than should've been allowed.....

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the Bobcats changed up their starting lineup (they put in Diop) to counter Hibbert.

Didn't help them much of course, but can you imagine that? Other teams are adjusting to us now, instead of us to them.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

There was one official in particular last night who was just horrible, didn't seem to call anything correctly. Not sure who he was, but he was mostly on the sideline opposite the benches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    There was one official in particular last night who was just horrible, didn't seem to call anything correctly. Not sure who he was, but he was mostly on the sideline opposite the benches.
    He was #71 and he was always within a few feet of me. At one point Foster slapped him on the rear as he ran by. I yelled 'slap him in the head next time, maybe he will be able to see obvious fouls then!'

He gave me a dirty look. I couldn't help it, I would usually never do that but he was pathetic.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I turned to JonnyB83 and mentioned the grin on Vogel's face, too. It was THAT visible even in Area55. I love this team.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    • I was proud of Danny for not forcing up bad shots in abundance but not backing away from taking shots either. He is a shooter and the only way to get out of this is for him to keep on shooting, eventually it will break. But in the mean time he has to balance that out with making sure he plays a good overall game. Tonight was just a sub par night for him but the fact that we won by a large margin and both he and Paul struggled are very encouraging signs.
    This is the biggest thing for me. Although Granger hasn't been the best at shooting, he's not forcing the issue in an effort to get back his shooting touch. At the SAME time, he hasn't been scared from taking the shot. This mentality has been pretty evident in the Celtic and Bobcats games. IMHO, he does seem to hit the ones that matter most though.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Dirty play. Being a person who loves blocking shots, I have yet to lead with my elbow when I make a block attempt. Also, I do a pretty good job of swatting in the direction of where the ball is/was at.

EDIT: If it was a "honest attempt", players normally try to apologize to the players when blood is drawn. If it was a dirty play, players normally walk away like nothing happened.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 01-08-2012 at 01:51 PM.

That was more than a cheap shot. That's thuggery at its finest. Henderson is a punk who is cruising for a bruising.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the Bobcats changed up their starting lineup (they put in Diop) to counter Hibbert.

Didn't help them much of course, but can you imagine that? Other teams are adjusting to us now, instead of us to them.
    I can't even begin to tell you how important this is and what a departure this is over the past several years.

This is an absolute testament to Frank Vogel because he has already succeeded in establishing an identity (smashmouth basketball) for our club and other teams are either trying to match up or make us change our style.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

Good catch. I must have missed your post earlier.

You're correct. I can't tell how many times I would get mad when JOB would adjust his rotations based on the team, instead of making other teams adjust to us.

I love Tyler Hansbrough. My God whenever there is a skirmish on the court he is the first one there and it's not with the Stephen Jackson "crazy eye" either. He was giving Gerald Henderson a look last night that IMO said, "You can go ahead and start this if you want, but you can be damn sure that I'm going to end it." Tyler will never start a fight IMO, he is too smart, but if one were too break out, Tyler clearly has the back of the entire Pacers team and that is something I'm not sure we've had since Dale Davis. That controlled, "If you mess with us, I'm gonna **** with you." attitude that Tyler definitely seems to have.

It gives a guy like George Hill the confidence he needs to be physical and aggressive all day on defense.

And yes, Gerald Henderson has been a punk ***** since he was at Duke. The anti-Shane Battier in a lot of ways.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I love Tyler Hansbrough. My God whenever there is a skirmish on the court he is the first one there and it's not with the Stephen Jackson "crazy eye" either. He was giving Gerald Henderson a look last night that IMO said, "You can go ahead and start this if you want, but you can be damn sure that I'm going to end it." Tyler will never start a fight IMO, he is too smart, but if one were too break out, Tyler clearly has the back of the entire Pacers team and that is something I'm not sure we've had since Dale Davis. That controlled, "If you mess with us, I'm gonna **** with you." attitude that Tyler definitely seems to have.

It gives a guy like George Hill the confidence he needs to be physical and aggressive all day on defense.

And yes, Gerald Henderson has been a punk ***** since he was at Duke. The anti-Shane Battier in a lot of ways.
    Oh oh! You just decided to talk good about Tyler and bad about Gerald in the same post, you just made a huge mistake...... Can you hear that? That's Seth tiping his 300 words answer post to this post

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Oh oh! You just decided to talk good about Tyler and bad about Gerald in the same post, you just made a huge mistake...... Can you hear that? That's Seth tiping his 300 words answer post to this post
    Good I hope so. Gerald Henderson is a chucker.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Henderson definitely is a punk out there sometimes, but can you imagine how much other teams would disdain our second unit if the Rush trade had gone through and we had Hans, Foster, AND Henderson in it?

Sports Logo

I don't get this hate for Gerald Henderson...much less the subtle jabs at Seth's Player-crush on him.

I get that he acted somewhat "punk-ish" when he flipped GH over....but it's far from a thuggery mentality that he has shown before and more frustration that started over some previous play with GH earlier in the QTR and then getting upset when GH fell over him in that play.

It's true that he seem's pretty lost last season prior to last year's ASB...but something seem to click for him after last season and he has been performing pretty well as a Starting SG so far. I don't profess to think that he's the next coming...but if the Bobcats didn't p*ssy out like little girls in that trade that would have sent Henderson here a few years ago...I'd think that many of you would be saying something completely different then what we are seeing after seeing him torch us in the 1st half of the game and before going all SJax on GH in the 2nd half.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate Gerald Henderson. Period.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Billy Packer? CRITICIZE Duke? You set your expectations too high.

There's a reason Clark took his job.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: