Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy answering questions on twitter

Default Re: Roy answering questions on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what O'Brien is doing nowadays... wonder if he is watching this team now and wondering what he did wrong.
    I doubt he thinks he did ANYTHING wrong. It was everyone else.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I'm not surprised at what Tyler thinks of Jim. I'm surprised he'd say it. I'm actually surprised Roy takes it this far. (And Tyler's made some comments about O'brien recently too.)

A lot of guys on our team are three/four year players. They know how to play basketball. They know Jim O'brien was doing it wrong. But part of being at a big time university is the "political correctness" that comes with talking to the media. You can be honest, but usually guys like that don't criticize the head coach, no matter how bad it is.
    That's true, but this just emphasizes how bad it really was.

Jim exceeded a certain threshold with his decisions that begged for a response. Both on the floor with his decisions and off the floor with his statements. Borderline insanity that was enough to make a saint curse. Enough to make Tyler and Roy...both good guys...get a bit nasty....and rightfully so.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Which legitimately stuns me. I'd never heard a word come out of Tyler's mouth that didn't come from the encyclopedia of athlete cliches...until asked about JOB.
    I'm not surprised. Bird almost had to force O'Brien to play Tyler in the first place. So then JoB would play Tyler, and not even dress Josh so that his "precious" stretch 4 Posey could still play.

On the flipside, Tyler is probably is literally ready to go run through a brick wall for Frank.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

So you guys ever going to get around to talking about the present and/or future? Figure you would get tired of having the same conversation over and over. I would just let you have your thread but most threads are still derailed by whatever this is. Noone cares what you think about JOB except other people that haven't figured out how to move on.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

We've bashed JOB enough. We have not bashed Bird enough for keeping him around.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Bird has been awesome. You can't look at the before and after and not respect the results. I have been very impressed and have a lot of faith in Bird. Your complaint just isn't worth arguing about. Just for a reminder this is the before picture.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, since the thread title holds no bearing here..... I will just say that I think that Bird waited until the right moment to let Jim go. I never hated Jim as much as most people did. It was almost to the point where I spent more time defending him like I actually was a advocate for his coaching style. He was never as bad as we, Pacer's fans, made him out to be. Our team sucked, and his style helped mask that during his first two years especially. What happened last year was our team became more talented, and JOB never adjusted to his personel. If the reigns had been turned over to Vogel sooner, his effect on the team might not had been as great. So, in my opinion, the timing was perfect considering the losing streaks and building resentment towards O'brien.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes, Jim's abrasive style was a good bit of it. But that wasn't the only issue. The other issue of equal importance was his insistence on forcing players to shoot 3's. If that's what you mean by team philosophy, I agree.
    If I had to bet, I'd bet that Roy disliked Jim's public and continual bashing of players more than the fact that the guards and forwards shot a lot of threes.

Remember about this time last year, when Roy had a monster couple of months, and Jim went out of his way to say publicly that Roy wasn't playing very well? And how Roy's play fell off after that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    Well, since the thread title holds no bearing here..... I will just say that I think that Bird waited until the right moment to let Jim go. I never hated Jim as much as most people did. It was almost to the point where I spent more time defending him like I actually was a advocate for his coaching style. He was never as bad as we, Pacer's fans, made him out to be. Our team sucked, and his style helped mask that during his first two years especially. What happened last year was our team became more talented, and JOB never adjusted to his personel. If the reigns had been turned over to Vogel sooner, his effect on the team might not had been as great. So, in my opinion, the timing was perfect considering the losing streaks and building resentment towards O'brien.

adding to not aurguing:
    Bird really took a chance on Vogal, given his experience. I think people overlook that Job was a lame duck either way. JOB was hired to coach a crappy team and keep them from embarrassing the community while Bird basically rebuilt the team from scratch.(he wanted someone to crack the wip since Carlisle was kinda getting walked over).

Once we were ready to take the next step we were getting a new coach either way. I am glad Vogel got his shot, but believe firing the whole coaching staff to bring on new temps mid season would have only disrupted the team. I believe bird wanted to wait until the offseason to conduct a coaching search, which he ultimately did.

Something on topic: Its pretty sweet that Roy makes it a point to interact with fans like this. I am glad his game seems to be coming around, because the attitude and personality have always been stellar.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-08-2012 at 10:18 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Fair point... I definitely think Bird kept Obie around for too long. If the players are so openly critical now, you'd think they'd have been complaining loudly to Bird in private. Yet Bird chose to keep Obie for at least a year too long.

Is Bird a genius for choosing Vogel as the replacement? I'm not sure I buy that either. Vogel more or less got the job by default really, both after Obie got fired and during the offseason when Bird couldn't get higher profile coaches like Sloan and Adelman. Of course Vogel and the Pacers have performed well since then, which makes the boss look good.

I do give credit to Bird for building a talented, balanced roster with a nice mix of veterans and youth. The roster is a rebuilding masterpiece IMO, about as good as you can expect without high lottery picks to nab a superstar or 2.