Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Foster offered a bigger contract

  1. #1
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,117
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Arrow Foster offered a bigger contract

    I know it has been known by some.

    Austin Croshere said during the broadcast, " I know for a fact that [Jeff Foster] got offered more money".

    So more team(s) wanted him and willing to pay him more to get him. So my question is:

    Do you naysayers still think we overpay him out of loyalty?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Stalking JOB Bird Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    273

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Thought I read that Foster had no intentions of playing for anyone other than Indiana?

  4. #3
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,117
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought I read that Foster had no intentions of playing for anyone other than Indiana?
    Yes. But if others wanted him. And would pay more for him. Then maybe he is not overpaid, like some like to make it seem.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Foster was offered more by 2 teams, NY & another (SA?)
    Jeff & his family like IN, & have no desire to leave.
    Jeff is set for life due to good investments & playing here is HIS option.
    Luck for us L.B. sees the value in Jeff.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,926
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes. But if others wanted him. And would pay more for him. Then maybe he is not overpaid, like some like to make it seem.
    Or, in light of this information, if people want to claim he is overpaid they are free to do so, but it's not because the Pacers gave him a loyalty bonus, it's because of the market for big men.

    As much as Jeff wanted to stay here I think it would have been insulting to offer him the vet minimum as some suggested given that he was offered more than we ended up paying him.

    I like Foster. If he ends up not playing much over the course of the season I'll be disappointed of course. But he still has something left in the tank when he's out there, so I am OK with his contract. In terms of our overall money situation it's really not that big of a deal.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    To put it bluntly, even if we did overpay him, I don't give a ****. In fact, I applaud it. We rewarded a guy for his loyalty and his sustained effort over a decade in a Pacers uniform.

  11. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  12. #7
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    I knew this a while ago. I thought everyone did.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Hopin Foster moves into a FO role for Indy after he retires.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,278
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopin Foster moves into a FO role for Indy after he retires.
    Me too


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  17. #10
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopin Foster moves into a FO role for Indy after he retires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too
    Me 3

  18. #11
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,307

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Foster is a Pacer treasure.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  20. #12

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Was at the game and when Foster came out for Hibbert, I thought people were clapping to see Roy come back uninjured. I am sure some people did, but watching the telecast later from home, I saw that many people followed with their eyes as they were cheering, so it was good to see that the ovation was for him.

    Except for the uncharacteristic turnovers, he had a great stats line for 12 minutes of play, notably 7 rebounds, and actually all of these came in his second stint on the floor during the game, which is even more amazing.

    He deserved more than the vet minimum coming into the season and if we get 40+ games out of him at his current level of play, then I'd say that we did great by signing him, but that the amount of money thrown at him by other teams was justified.

  21. #13

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    That's some good azz loyalty.

  22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,539
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    As long as Foster is effective and wants to play, I hope we keep signing him to one year deals. He still helps our team and he is a great role model for our young guys.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Member Indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Jeff Foster is an all-time great Pacer, and from my understanding, a good man. I hope he always has a place with the Pacers.

  26. #16
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,267

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    I like the role the team has carved out for Foster this season.... or the role Foster has carved out for himself (whichever the case). Very complimentary to the team's needs right now.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  27. #17
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    I also like that Foster gets standing ovations as often as he does. If anything I think other players on our team we're hoping to retain might take note of that fact and see how well someone like Foster who might not be worth as much to anyone anywhere else is practically a legend to our fans.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:


  29. #18
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    As I said when we signed him, it doesn't matter what we paid him, all that matters is it was a one-year deal. Since we didn't go nuts with our cap space and amnestied Posey, we could have paid him $10M and it wouldn't have affected anything beyond Simon's pocketbook.

    Shoot, if I'm reading the numbers right, we could have paid him close to $20M and not gone over the cap. Of course, that would have impacted our flexibility in regards to the trade deadline.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  31. #19

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Foster is a Pacer treasure.


    LOL, he ought to be at the money it's cost to keep him the last 2 contracts!

  32. #20
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Jeff Foster is still a ****ing bad-***.

  33. #21
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,117
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, he ought to be at the money it's cost to keep him the last 2 contracts!
    Illogical bias.....

  34. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    He got a 15mil contract for 3 years 3 years ago and played 74, 16 and 56 games, I think that's nice that he wanted to come back but saying crazy stuff like we should pay him 10mil this year or anything like that is just homerism at it's best, he already got pay a lot money not to play, with that said let's hope he is able to stay healthy because we need him.

  35. #23
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,610

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Foster is the frigging man. Even at his age he gives you a lot. And it has nothing to do with homerism, Croshere was a Pacer for a long time and he was openly disdained by a lot of fans before he was traded to Dallas. I hereby accept another serving of crow for suggesting that we should have accepted Denver's offer of Linas Kleiza for Foster.

  36. #24

    Default Re: Foster offered a bigger contract

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foster is the frigging man. Even at his age he gives you a lot. And it has nothing to do with homerism, Croshere was a Pacer for a long time and he was openly disdained by a lot of fans before he was traded to Dallas. I hereby accept another serving of crow for suggesting that we should have accepted Denver's offer of Linas Kleiza for Foster.

    I like Linas Kleiza. I said the year that Denver didn't re-sign him and Dahntay that Denver would miss not signing Linas FAR more than Dahntay, and they did. Kleiza, like Foster, has started off injured this season for Toronto.

    I really don't remember that trade rumor, but I'll say this "Kleiza is a smashmouth take no guff type player." He's a forward in that he can play both positions. He can score from the inside or outside. He went to Europe to play when he wasn't re-signed by Denver. He came back and signed a contract similar to what J Jack did. If the Pacers didn't already have JP and Lou, I'd be interested in him as a Pacer. If the Pacers could trade Dahntay and whoever, I'd be interested in Linas for more bench strength, and he'd definately provide it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
  2. Jeff Foster, the Buffett of Basketball
    By kielbeze in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 12:52 AM
  3. Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 05:20 AM
  4. Foster factors "tremendously" into next season's plans
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •