Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Sunday: The New Danny Granger

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default NBA Sunday: The New Danny Granger

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-sunday...-danny-granger

Danny Granger’s Offensive Evolution

The general NBA fandom has caught onto the fact that the Indiana Pacers are, in fact, a pretty decent team. But it wasn’t always that way. For the last handful of seasons, Indiana has been buried in that odd purgatory where they either just made the playoffs (with zero chance of winning a series) or just missed them (with zero chance of winning the lottery), and that’s a hard place to be for an NBA team.

Just ask Danny Granger, who has been looked upon as the team’s primary scorer every year since Jermaine O’Neal left Indianapolis in 2008. He’s always scored well, but not necessarily efficiently, often forcing up bad shots because he felt like he had to in order to give his team a reasonable chance to win every night.

Not anymore.

“I haven’t shot the ball particularly well, but it hasn’t caused us to lose games,” Granger, who has shot a brutal 17-for-68 (25%) over his last five games, told HOOPSWORLD. “That’s awesome because in the past, that would’ve definitely lost us the game. Thankfully this year that’s not the case.”

Actually, the entire team has had its fair share of offensive woes early this season, but despite everything they’re still 6-2, good enough for the third-best winning percentage in the Eastern Conference. Granger knows his teammates’ roles in the strong start.

“We’re shooting something like 38% as a team, so it’s good to have that extra offensive support that we haven’t had in past seasons. I was always the one that had to score, but this year I score when I’m needed to.”

With seven different players currently averaging double figures for Indiana, it’s clear that this is a very different Pacers team from a year ago.

Part of that change has been on the defensive end, which Pacers coach Frank Vogel has noticed, particularly in his starting small forward.

“He’s defending,” Vogel said regarding Granger. “He’s brought his defense at a really high level all season, all seven games that we’ve played. He’s a huge reason we’re defending so well as a team.”

Granger admitted his extra tenacity on that end has everything to do with the energy he saves not dominating the ball on offense every possession.

“My defense has been really great because I know I don’t have to score 25 points a game,” Granger said. “I get to focus more on the defensive end. I’m honestly having one of the best defensive years I’ve ever had so far.”

With Granger shooting so poorly, and David West still finding his way with the new team and his surgically-repaired knee, it’s a small miracle that Indiana is playing this well early on. Granger, though, doesn’t want anyone to think that he’s going to back off on offense.

“My aggressiveness is still there,” he admitted. “We just have more scoring threats, and that’s a blessing.”

It will really seem like a blessing when the team gets firing on all cylinders. Outside of Miami and Chicago, this might be the best team in the Eastern Conference. Granger’s role might be changing drastically, but that’s a good thing when the team does nothing but get better.

Four seasons ago, Granger believed the team went as he did. Now, the team goes as the team goes, and that’s a good thing for the new Indiana Pacers.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Sunday: The New Danny Granger

I just don't understand why its so difficult to play on both ends of the floor.

Tyler does it with no problem. What does "focusing" on only one have to do with the other?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Tyler does it with no problem. What does "focusing" on only one have to do with the other?
    "You see coach, I just got done blocking the ball on the other end, so I had to pass up that open three.....i mean, do you want my arms to fall off?"

yeah, i don't get it either.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 01-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.

You're kidding right? Tyler is one of the worst defenders on the team.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    You're kidding right? Tyler is one of the worst defenders on the team.
    Well, he's no Gordon Hayward, thats for sure.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I see it as if you aren't a good defender then you don't care enough about defense. It's not that hard to defend the average nba player (if you are an nba player yourself) keep your eye on the ball. don't pay attention to shoulder and leg movements and make sure you maintain a center of gravity and balance. This is prob harder then said for the fact that most players travel and carry the ball every other play. To me defense should be easier then offense unless you are going against an all-star player. Lets just hope his poor shooting is just from the long lay off and not from "focusing on defense"
    I'm a Beast

Banned

He is a new player alright ....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    I see it as if you aren't a good defender then you don't care enough about defense. It's not that hard to defend the average nba player (if you are an nba player yourself) keep your eye on the ball. don't pay attention to shoulder and leg movements and make sure you maintain a center of gravity and balance. This is prob harder then said for the fact that most players travel and carry the ball every other play. To me defense should be easier then offense unless you are going against an all-star player. Lets just hope his poor shooting is just from the long lay off and not from "focusing on defense"
    Yeah anyone can guard Lebron and company, sheesh.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

He just can't hit his shot, nothing to do with defense 10 minutes into the game. Heck, I think he has actually hit more shots later in the game when he would be more tired. He just diverting his poor shooting slump. Typical

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Yeah anyone can guard Lebron and company, sheesh.
    Guess you read only what you want to see.

I obviously stated the AVERAGE nba player. meaning someone on a team like charlotte. Then I stated that guarding and all-star is a different story. Lebron is the best in the league and has been an all-star every year. And if you haven't noticed we have only played Miami once and will not play them every game..... sheeesh
    I'm a Beast

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:

Banned

Well, he's no Gordon Hayward, thats for sure.

Tyler has never and will never carry the kind of offensive load for us that Danny has in the past.

Players have limited energy. Even the best players lose some muster defensively when they have to carry the team in scoring, so why wouldn't it happen with Danny?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Maybe it's just me, but I do feel like Danny is playing really hard on the defensive end because he's not as tired as he was in the past couple years from being the primary offensive threat.

No disrespect to anyone who hasn't played ball, but going all out on either end of the floor can wear you down pretty quickly. Remember his first year when a lot of the people on this board were dubbing him "Scottie Pippen-lite"? That first year he didn't have to carry the offensive load so he was able to exert more energy defensively.

Additionally, being that he's a wing player, he's often chasing around guys, fighting through screens, etc. In Tyler's case, or any power forward really, it's more of a post-defense type of situation. I don't think that's a really fair comparison.

Either way, the team is playing great! Go Pacers!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sothenrobbiesaid For This Useful Post:

We are more balanced than we have been in about 10+ years. It is great that Danny does not feel the pressure to score close to 25 points a game to even give us a chance to win. His shot should start falling and I see him averaging around 17 to 18 ppg when it is all said and done.

I have seen people on here complain for years about how Daany stopped focusing on defense. It sounds like he was felt like he was expected to score more and focused on his offense and less on his defense. Let's not complain about this right now. If we start losing a bunch of games then we can start complaining.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

I actually just got done re-watching the game on DVR from last night & the TV actually picked up more of Danny's defense in the game than I did at the fieldhouse. I was amazed at how active he was.

Actually while I'm saying this I want to say that I also picked up on A.J. Price being far more active on defense than I saw at the game as well.

Honestly there was a period there in the third when Hill, Price & Jones were in and our perimater defense was a buzz saw.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you've ever played full court basketball, you'd know what Danny is talking about. It's difficult to play hard nosed defense and run back to shoot. Your legs aren't fully there. I suggest that Danny create a balance between offense and defense, while leaning more towards defense. Easier said than done

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sothenrobbiesaid View Post
    Additionally, being that he's a wing player, he's often chasing around guys, fighting through screens, etc. In Tyler's case, or any power forward really, it's more of a post-defense type of situation. I don't think that's a really fair comparison.

Either way, the team is playing great! Go Pacers!

This pretty much explains it. Personally, I never thought he played horrid defense. I loved playing focused defense, but I couldn't imagine playing pedal to floor defense then I'm expected to break down the defense on the very next offensive possession.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First, Tyler is one of our worst defenders lol. Second, since he is coming off the bench, he is normally guarding a second tier player, and not a starting wing who is moving off screens, playing isolations, etc. Aside from Lebron, DG has pretty much shut down everyone else he has been matched up against. That is a different focus than he's had to have in the past few seasons. Not to mention, the shortened training camp couldn't have helped. he'll break out of his shooting slump, and if he can shoot over 44% and maintain this defensive intensity against arguably the toughest position to guard right now (except MAYBE PG) then we are in great shape

Mood

Danny will come out of his shooting slump before too long.

His defense has been phenomenal though, I prefer this Danny to any other iteration of him.

Once he gets to where he's shooting 42-45% he'll be a much better player than he was under JOB, and if the team is playing well he'll see that he can still be an all-star without scoring 27 ppg.

As for Tyler, yeah, he's a pretty awful defender except against guys who are easily thrown off their game by physicality, he doesn't do nearly as much as DG does on defense, and on offense he doesn't have to move around as much unless he's going for the rebound, plus he plays against second unit players more than Danny and plays less minutes total on top of that.

Great article. Good to see some actual quotes from the Pacers, although I really wish I knew what question Vogel was answering.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I just hope he starts hitting his shots soon because lowest FG% in the entire league is unacceptable

I think saying Tyler does it with no problem is a bit of an over statement of Tyler's defensive level, and up until the past two games also an over statement of his play on the offensive end.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Well, the topic was energy level, right? So regardless of the results, I think we can all agree Tyler puts a good effort in on both ends while he plays, right?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well, the topic was energy level, right? So regardless of the results, I think we can all agree Tyler puts a good effort in on both ends while he plays, right?
    The energy part, on either side of the ball, is never a problem with Tyler. He's just not good at defense.

I agree with Peck, the perimeter defense with Price, Hill, and Jones the other night was ridiculous. AJ's inconsistent defensively, but he can be really good. And it was nice to see Jones play well defensively. His overall game has improved in the last couple of games. He's not forcing that many shots, and his defense is gotten better. Hill's defense..I sort of expect that out of him.

Small sample size, but Danny is the fourth leading thief in the NBA... It has appeared to me that he has been putting forth a better effort on the defensive end...