Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts plan to draft Luck, sources say

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts plan to draft Luck, sources say

Chris Mortensen says we will indeed use the number 1 pick to draft Luck. This isn't exactly earth shattering news, but it's certainly worth noting.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/sto...ck-sources-say

So it looks like Andrew Luck will definitely be on the roster next year. The question now is, will Peyton Manning?

Here's stampedeblue's take:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/1/7...t-on#storyjump
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: Colts plan to draft Luck, sources say

Even Stevie Wonder could see that coming.

I can see Irsay trying to guilt Manning into retiring that way he won't look like the bad guy moving on with Luck.

It won't work though.

That being said going with Luck is the right decision at this point in time.

Listening to Irsay's rendition of the Bill Polian show, I'm not surprised at all. He was salivating over the draft.

Loyalty? Peyton needs to remember those Mayflower trucks in Baltimore.

I want to hear Lucks reaction about coming here

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listening to Irsay's rendition of the Bill Polian show, I'm not surprised at all. He was salivating over the draft.

Loyalty? Peyton needs to remember those Mayflower trucks in Baltimore.

Peyton grew up in the business I mean even Archie didn't spend his entire career with the Saints(he ended it there but made detours in Minnesota and Houston before that)

He's well aware there's no loyalty in professional sports personally who's to say he's not partly happy about this sure he'd like to spend his entire career as a Colt (and if he ends up retiring he will have)

BUT if he's healthy and Irsay wants to go in a different direction Manning will want to go to a team that's ready to win now but just needs him.

He saw this team fall apart without him who's to say he wants to carry this team any longer?

As for Luck's reaction? Well he technically hasn't declared yet so we'll find out.

The only surprise is why Irsay is letting this out so soon....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That is all.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

If Peyton ever plays for another team, I will no longer care for this team anymore, nor root for them. I'm not like super caught up with Peyton's legacy, but my interest in the NFL generally is weak enough that it would not survive something as crass as shoving Peyton out the door. Remember Simmons's tweet comparing him to Bird? That's pretty much where I am. I don't care who the rookie is, he doesn't push Bird out until he's ready to go.

Exceptions would include any situations where Peyton clearly leaves of his own accord, of course.

That all said, I'm not really worried. I expect that Peyton will either retire or be our starter next season.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

RLeWorm

uggghhh, I want Andrew Luck, but i also want some other young players like Justin Blackmon(WR of the future) and Trent Richardson(RB of the future). And then we pick up RG3

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    If Peyton ever plays for another team, I will no longer care for this team anymore, nor root for them. I'm not like super caught up with Peyton's legacy, but my interest in the NFL generally is weak enough that it would not survive something as crass as shoving Peyton out the door. Remember Simmons's tweet comparing him to Bird? That's pretty much where I am. I don't care who the rookie is, he doesn't push Bird out until he's ready to go.

Exceptions would include any situations where Peyton clearly leaves of his own accord, of course.

That all said, I'm not really worried. I expect that Peyton will either retire or be our starter next season.
    When you have a face of the franchise QB you simply don't cut him or trade him.
    Did the Jets lose Namath?
    Did the 49ers lose Montana?
    Did the Colts lose Unitas?

Uh.... wait.... nevermind...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I could see this as just stating it in the sense that "we're taking luck, if someone else wants him you're going to have to make a compelling case for us to give that up." sort of strategy. Which, I suppose goes without saying but floating that information out there right now might start the process a little sooner if we already had teams on the fence and waiting for us to make our move.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Exceptions would include any situations where Peyton clearly leaves of his own accord, of course..
    Isn't that just a bit if a double standard ??

If it's best for the franchise (franchise being the TEAM, not the player), then thank him for his time and efforts and move on.

I'm ready for that. In fact, Manning playing this year really handcuffs the team financially, but I digress .........

Irsay's reaction to the question of whether Peyton can play football again leaves me to believe the question is either very much up in the air, or he is going to retire but hasn't announced it yet for some reason. It is very sad that we've probably seen the last of Peyton, not only in Indianapolis, but on an NFL field. I think that Peyton's time here is up either way, but I would love him to go to San Fran and win one more for himself and one for Coach Harbaugh.

I've decided to take the stance of "I really don't care" when it comes to what we do with the first pick.. obviously Irsay wants Luck.. but you throw in the option that he may demand a trade and that means we all have to view this as it really is.. its not a done deal we get Luck. And I for one, don't care either way. We draft him, good, we got a great QB.. we trade him, great, we probably got even more out of the deal.. its a win, win.

Look back at the last big QB to demand a trade.. Eli Manning. He was picked then traded for Phillip Rivers AND Shawne Merriman.. even though his career was cut short, advantage SD. I'm up for anything. Luck would draw more picks as well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want to lose Peyton, but we need to get that $28M off the cap, NOW.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    I've decided to take the stance of "I really don't care" when it comes to what we do with the first pick.. obviously Irsay wants Luck.. but you throw in the option that he may demand a trade and that means we all have to view this as it really is.. its not a done deal we get Luck. And I for one, don't care either way. We draft him, good, we got a great QB.. we trade him, great, we probably got even more out of the deal.. its a win, win.

Look back at the last big QB to demand a trade.. Eli Manning. He was picked then traded for Phillip Rivers AND Shawne Merriman.. even though his career was cut short, advantage SD. I'm up for anything. Luck would draw more picks as well.
    Advantage SD?

Really?

I'd say Rivers was the only good thing out of that deal for them despite this down season. Merriman a steroid bust(he dropped off considerably after that even though he's with the Bills now) and they also got Nate Kaeding who has cost them a few playoff games.

The Giants got a ring and their own franchise QB in Eli which is what they want in the end.

Elway was essentially traded for Mark Hermann (to get a more accurate example of a Colts QB demanding a trade on draft day who went to Stanford) and it took 15 years until we got franchise QB in Manning.

Its hardly a win win either way.

We don't know if Manning will even be the same again. I think Luck will be good but better than Manning? No however I also don't want to be like the Dolphins, Bills etc waiting for the next franchise QB that will never come either.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 01-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Irsay's reaction to the question of whether Peyton can play football again leaves me to believe the question is either very much up in the air, or he is going to retire but hasn't announced it yet for some reason. It is very sad that we've probably seen the last of Peyton, not only in Indianapolis, but on an NFL field. I think that Peyton's time here is up either way, but I would love him to go to San Fran and win one more for himself and one for Coach Harbaugh.
    I can believe that but why would Manning care if Luck was drafted if that were the case or that Polian is gone if he's going to retire. He'll be gone won't matter what the Colts do afterwards because he'll no longer be in the picture.

But yeah Manning is gone one way or another.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post

Eli has a ring and the Chargers are in crapper. How is that a win for SD?

In fact, that example is the perfect counter to your argument.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

The Chargers aren't really "in the crapper" are they? They are mediocre, but it's mainly because of crappy coaching. Rivers has been pretty damn good up until this year, and one can make the argument that he's better than (or at least on par with) Eli Manning. Sure, Eli won a SB, but I don't think that he was necessarily the biggest reason for that.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

It becomes even worse when you remember that SD kicked Brees, a superior QB in EVERY way, out of town so Rivers could play.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Remember too, Chris Mortenson is the one who reported on ESPN that the Colts move to LA was a done deal.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    It becomes even worse when you remember that SD kicked Brees, a superior QB in EVERY way, out of town so Rivers could play.
    Yep but at the time many thought Brees wasn't going to be the same after his shoulder injury so they let him go and the Dolphins whiffed on him the Saints took a chance and well the rest is history.

If Rivers wants to win an SB he'll have to leave San Diego to do so...

You'd think if Manning was making good progress there would be info to quiet the talk of him never playing again. Which is not to say he's not making progress, but it's to wonder if that progress is slow...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    You'd think if Manning was making good progress there would be info to quiet the talk of him never playing again. Which is not to say he's not making progress, but it's to wonder if that progress is slow...

Maybe or maybe Irsay hopes Manning retires that way he doesn't have to cut him and look like the bad guy for cutting him to save $$$.

I actually suspect Irsay has planned to draft Luck and keep Manning all along. I'd be in favor of it even if I sensed Manning and/or Luck was unhappy about it. They'll get over it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I actually suspect Irsay has planned to draft Luck and keep Manning all along. I'd be in favor of it even if I sensed Manning and/or Luck was unhappy about it. They'll get over it eventually.
    I'm sure that's what he wants but he won't get it. Luck doesn't have to declare he could go back to school if that's going to happen or force a draft day trade.

Manning could retire and then unretire when another team wants to win now.

Good idea have two QBs but no team.

Either you're all in with Manning or you're all in with Luck. At least you have a direction. This would just delay the inevitable and the team would be going nowhere.

For me its not about Manning or Luck at this point its about where this team is headed for 2012 and beyond.

If Irsay is serious about rebuilding then he has to go with Luck.