Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Price is right for the Pacers

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default The Price is right for the Pacers

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

A.J. Price showed why he should be the team’s backup point guard over Lance Stephenson on Friday.

Don’t get me wrong, Stephenson has potential. But Price is just a better pure point guard.

I feel like the Pacers are force-feeding Stephenson minutes when Price should be getting those minutes.

Price, playing for the injured Stephenson (ankle) against Boston, proved that when he was on the court when the second unit gave the Pacers some breathing room in the second quarter and built a double-digit lead early in the fourth quarter.

Price’s head is always on the swivel, making sure the ball is always moving and that there’s good spacing on the court.

He didn’t light up the box score. He only had two points, two rebounds and two assists in his 14 minutes.

But the second unit’s offense simply runs smoother when Price, who is called Juice by his teammates, is on the court.

“Our bench is going to be a strength of ours,” coach Frank Vogel said. “We’re a deep team. A.J. hasn’t really played a relative minute all year. He led that second unit in terms of organizing our offense and Jeff Foster led our defensive effort with his toughness and grit.”

Now we’ll see if Vogel stays with Price or goes back to Stephenson once he returns from his ankle injury.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Price is right for the Pacers

Price should definitely backup DC

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I swear I didn't write this blog post.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I swear I didn't write this blog post.
    The person who did, however has no more credibility than you. At least this one isn't a tweet. Why is there a new thread every time Mike wells passes gas?
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I understand but we probably won't win a championship this year. I feel we should find out what we have in Lance.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Cant we do both?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Neither of them are backup point guard material. We need someone like Luke Ridnour that can actually run an offense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winner For This Useful Post:

Banned

Yeah Price looked good but the fact is that the whole second unit looked good at moving the ball, he was not the only one, even Hansbrough was moving the ball around and to be fair to Lance he haven't really had the chance to play with a well lubricated second unit.

I can't remember the last time Price played like a point guard. That is until last night.

He looked great last night. Starter great.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I can't remember the last time Price played like a point guard. That is until last night.

He looked great last night. Starter great.
    I've always been in the camp of starting A.J. over Collison.

Collison has been better this year, I admit. But for the purposes of what the team needs, A.J. would be slightly better.

Ultimately, we need a new point guard altogether.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

18. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I really thought Price coming into the game is what got the offense on track. He may be our best pure point guard.

The overshooting stuff was Obrien related, Price has always been a pure PG.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

I'm still comfortable with Lance at the PG experiment. Lance hasn't impressed me, but he hasn't disappointed me either.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Red face Re: The Price is right for the Pacers

but Lance has handles and a neat-o nickname...color me torn.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked AJ last night, and would like to see him get some time. I would still like to see Lance get a few minutes though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Cant we do both?
    Can't they play together? I mean really if you want to find out what you have in Lance doesn't it make more sense to take minutes away from one of the older guards you have...like I dunno, Dahntay? Doesn't even have to be every game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Can't they play together? I mean really if you want to find out what you have in Lance doesn't it make more sense to take minutes away from one of the older guards you have...like I dunno, Dahntay? Doesn't even have to be every game.
    I think at al depends on match ups. I think at this point, AJ is a better choice to back up PG against a veteran team like the Celtics. ance can get time against an oppenent like Sacramento or Washington

This is a hard decision. I want to see what Lance can bring to the team, but as soon ss AJ went in I could tell the team was running really good with him in their. Better than when Lance is in there.

I want to win games, so if I had to choice, (I'll leave that up to FRANK) I guess I would go with AJ.

We'll if granger keeps playing bad then you would have to think to trade him while he is still worth something. Then move george over to sf and give lance more time at sg his true spot. I do hope granger gets out of this slump fast tho. I do like aj tho he is better then people give him credit for.
    I'm a Beast

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I'm still comfortable with Lance at the PG experiment. Lance hasn't impressed me, but he hasn't disappointed me either.
    We have seen improvement in his biggest weakness, defense, so I am encouraged. Aj is also 4 years older than lance and has been given far more opportunities. Lance really has not even been given a chance to showcase his offensive skill set yet, people should give the 20 yo a chance to grow.

The team thinks he is a point guard, so they play him at point guard. I know you don't agree but you can acknowledge that this is how the organization is treating him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been a Price fan since his first summer league. The guy can just play. I think he is most likely a career backup, but that's not a bad thing to be. If and when he leaves the Pacers he'll be in this league a long time IMO, as long as he's healthy. I hope Price stays here for at least another season after this one.

I understand TPTB wanting to play Lance, we need to find out if he is a keeper or we move on. Price could still be a rotational backup next season, If the Lance experiment does not work. I don't think either as the 3rd PG are going to make or break our season, unless we have a lot of back court injury's.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    I understand but we probably won't win a championship this year. I feel we should find out what we have in Lance.
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Cant we do both?
    we should be able to. DC is playing too many mpg right now. he's averaging 33 mpg, an expected amount is a regular season, but high for the compacted schedule. dude is a little guy and is going to wear down if he keeps playing this much. AJ could get some of those extra minutes and still give lance developmental minutes.

fwiw, the same thing is true about paul george and danny. they are playing too many minutes. GH could absorb some of paul's minutes at the 2, AJ at the 1. don't have a good answer at the 3 for danny though. more dahntay is ok, but not ideal.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah Price looked good but the fact is that the whole second unit looked good at moving the ball, he was not the only one, even Hansbrough was moving the ball around and to be fair to Lance he haven't really had the chance to play with a well lubricated second unit.
    Price is a Court General, part of the reason why the ball was moving was because he was directing it and directing the players.

And I've said it a few times. Give Hill and Lance the rest of Jones' mintues and give AJ the backup point exclusively. Hill looked like he liked playing with a point guard last season too.

I like Dahntay. He's not a bad player. A lot of teams would like to have him. A lot of good teams. (if I were the Lakers, I'd trade Artest for him in a second) But Aj's a better fit. And we might as well give Lance his best chance to succeed if we're playing him.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    we should be able to. DC is playing too many mpg right now. he's averaging 33 mpg, an expected amount is a regular season, but high for the compacted schedule. dude is a little guy and is going to wear down if he keeps playing this much. AJ could get some of those extra minutes and still give lance developmental minutes.

fwiw, the same thing is true about paul george and danny. they are playing too many minutes. GH could absorb some of paul's minutes at the 2, AJ at the 1. don't have a good answer at the 3 for danny though. more dahntay is ok, but not ideal.
    I have a solution for Danny's minutes, play George more at the 3, and have Hill and Lance play more at the 2, while only giving them spot minutes at PG.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    He needs some scoring and that requires taking shots and from what we have seen of him this young season(admittedly a little) so far,he has been rather shy regarding that.He prefers to pass the ball when he has the chance to drive or take a jumper.